Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Matt Zerella posted:

They're coming pre bent out of the box.

We’ve been asking for curved tablet for years and now that they’re finally here people are freaking out smdh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

lol

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
All I'm saying is the gen2 to 3 upgrade isn't worth it unless you have money to burn and really really want the double tap of the new pencil and better charging.

The bend thing isn't that big of a deal but it's definitely not a great look for Apple and I'm usually quick to defend them.

Matt Zerella fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Dec 29, 2018

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Apple is going to have to make the next iPad either flexible, or cast from adamantium.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
https://vimeo.com/308509361

I’m gonna take “overblown nothingburger” for $1000.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Boris Galerkin posted:

Definitely nothingburger.

I was going to say that failure to lie flat on a table would annoy the poo poo out of me, but I didn't realize that recent iPads now come with an iPhone-style camera bump that prevents it from ever lying flat anyway. :lol:

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Boris Galerkin posted:

You could at least take it for enough to buy an iPad Pro.

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.

withak posted:

Apple is going to have to make the next iPad either flexible, or cast from adamantium.

Having recently dug up a couple of still-functioning 1st gen iPads here at work - they need to use THAT form factor again. Chunky enough to hold a battery 2-3x the capacity of current ones, stupidly thick aluminum frame, and a screen that can be popped off instead of being glued down.

Even if it just had iPad 6 guts, it'd sell to the kinds of companies that have service workers that carry around iPads.

But it seems like most people want them thinner and thinner, so that's not going to happen.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

TVs Ian posted:

Even if it just had iPad 6 guts, it'd sell to the kinds of companies that have service workers that carry around iPads.

those people have been using iPad minis for years

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
I find it difficult to believe there’d be a situation where an offered iPad Chunky has an advertised battery life that’s longer than their newest premium model.

Besides, in Apple's mind I’m guessing there’s already an “industrial iPad”, it’s an iPad + AppleCare.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

withak posted:

A big ol' slab of iron.

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.

Electric Bugaloo posted:

those people have been using iPad minis for years

In my repair shop, they come in with Airs and Air 2s mostly. The Air 2 ones are the worst because the fused screens are so expensive.

Any broken Mini that comes in is for a kid. I keep telling the one guy with a Mini 4 (which also had a fused screen) that his kid keeps breaking to get him a 5 or 6 instead, but he just keeps holding on to this one and getting it fixed for $250 every time.

Cozmosis
Feb 16, 2003

2006... YEAR OF THE BURNITZ, BITCHES

Boris Galerkin posted:

So because these aren’t as bent as some it’s automatically nothing? People have been posting on reddit with some way more obviously bent devices.

Don’t know why people are going to the mat for apple or blowing the situation off on this one. For the prices they charge for the new Pro, these little intolerances are just unacceptable. A $1000+ slab should be straight, period.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Cozmosis posted:

So because these aren’t as bent as some it’s automatically nothing? People have been posting on reddit with some way more obviously bent devices.

Don’t know why people are going to the mat for apple or blowing the situation off on this one. For the prices they charge for the new Pro, these little intolerances are just unacceptable. A $1000+ slab should be straight, period.

Then get it replaced. Super easy to get with Apple.

Personally, mine was fine and flat.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Matt Zerella posted:

They're coming pre bent out of the box.

Right, so now you don’t have to be angry because you accidentally bent it.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

Duckman2008 posted:

Right, so now you don’t have to be angry because you accidentally bent it.

They really think of everything don't they?

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
I’m looking for an app (or apps) that will teach me how to draw/write more legibly. Any suggestions? Mostly interesting in learning to draw/paint/whatever but calligraphy would be a cool thing too.

smr
Dec 18, 2002

shortspecialbus posted:

I notice that sometimes a letter doesn't go when I think it should but I've attributed it to sloppy typing and not being used to the iPad keyboard yet. How the hell did you turn on haptic feedback though? I didn't think it was an option on iOS?

Sorry, just meant I have Keyboard Clicks on in Settings, which makes both a haptic and a noise, seems to me.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Is there any way to get SA to quit asking for my location in Chrome?

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
It’s probably an ad doing it.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

BlackMK4 posted:

Is there any way to get SA to quit asking for my location in Chrome?

Awful.app

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

:same:

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Damnit, alright, thank you guys

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
I have an iPad Pro 12 inch... (128, Wifi) Also a Smart Keyboard and case, and a pencil.

I got a new Pro 12.9 inch 256 today.

Where is the best place to sell my old one (preferably the case and pencil) FB Marketplace? Craigslist? etc?Gazelle claims I can get about 250 for the iPad itself. Can I do much better elsewhere?

Grimmeh
May 9, 2004

...Putting The Fun Back Into The Funeral

Feenix posted:

I have an iPad Pro 12 inch... (128, Wifi) Also a Smart Keyboard and case, and a pencil.

Where is the best place to sell my old one (preferably the case and pencil) FB Marketplace? Craigslist? etc?Gazelle claims I can get about 250 for the iPad itself. Can I do much better elsewhere?
Try SA Mart if you want a headache-free selling experience?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Feenix posted:

Gazelle will not give you a good trade in, avoid them.

Seconding SA mart, and I have also had very good luck on Swappa.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Good tips, thanks!

Hey what’s the way to go on a case? My old pro had the keyboard case and I NEVER used the keyboard but I did like the propped up viewing. I’m hearing more mixed opinions on the new KB case.... I just want slim and prop-able.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

smr posted:

Sorry, just meant I have Keyboard Clicks on in Settings, which makes both a haptic and a noise, seems to me.

Gotcha - maybe I'll play with that to see if I can mute it most of the time because I love haptics but hate keyboard noises on tablets or whatever. Which is weird since I still use my ibm model m at work. Thanks!

Mattavist
May 24, 2003

shortspecialbus posted:

Gotcha - maybe I'll play with that to see if I can mute it most of the time because I love haptics but hate keyboard noises on tablets or whatever. Which is weird since I still use my ibm model m at work. Thanks!

iPads don’t have any haptics, are you guys talking about iPhones?

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

Mattavist posted:

iPads don’t have any haptics, are you guys talking about iPhones?

I have no idea - that's why I was asking in the first place. I've never turned on the keyboard sound because it would drive me nuts, I was just hoping I could get haptics on the keyboard. If it's not a thing then ok then :shrug:

I'm not much of an iOS user outside of the iPad, my last iPhone was the 3G one.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

iPad never got the solid state home button the iPhones got so they never had haptic feedback.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Feenix posted:

Good tips, thanks!

Hey what’s the way to go on a case? My old pro had the keyboard case and I NEVER used the keyboard but I did like the propped up viewing. I’m hearing more mixed opinions on the new KB case.... I just want slim and prop-able.

I have this one. It’s inexpensive and works great.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07J4K6ZK6

If I need a keyboard, I just grab my K811.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0099SMFP2

The K380 has been recommended a lot, as well.

https://www.amazon.com/Logitech-K380-Multi-Device-Bluetooth-Keyboard/dp/B0148NPH9I

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Proteus Jones posted:

I have this one. It’s inexpensive and works great.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07J4K6ZK6

If I need a keyboard, I just grab my K811.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0099SMFP2

The K380 has been recommended a lot, as well.

https://www.amazon.com/Logitech-K380-Multi-Device-Bluetooth-Keyboard/dp/B0148NPH9I

Thank you. Before I saw this post I ordered a Pad & Quill Contega Thin. I liked the look... :)

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Feenix posted:

Thank you. Before I saw this post I ordered a Pad & Quill Contega Thin. I liked the look... :)

Hey thanks for that, I had completely forgotten about them. I just ordered their Oxford leather case which looks super slick.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Proteus Jones posted:

Hey thanks for that, I had completely forgotten about them. I just ordered their Oxford leather case which looks super slick.

I like that it (the one I got) has like 2 angles for propping.

smr
Dec 18, 2002

FCKGW posted:

iPad never got the solid state home button the iPhones got so they never had haptic feedback.

Huh; I assumed the Keyboard Click was both a haptic and a sound. I guess the speakers are just good enough to make it feel like a "thunk" when you type on this thing.

Had to press the g key five times this morning to get it to type. Good times!

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

The g key is a myth

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

shortspecialbus posted:

The g key is a myth

Let's be honest. If it even existed, how often would you use it.

There are zero in this post.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Is there a way to make my iPad silent (notification sound wise) when the iPad is locked, smart covered, or face down, but not silent when it’s not any of those? There’s an option in Settings -> DND for this but that seems to only be for DND mode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.
Is there a reason you don't want to just leave it in DND? I do that with my iPads. If you turn that setting on which still lets notifications appear when unlocked, the device pretty much functions normally when you're using it, aside from the little moon icon in the status bar.