Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
Thing I noticed:

Durkon popped right back in the Thor afterlife (Valhalla?). Where only dwarfs who die heroically go. Which means he died doing something heroic. Heroically stupid, that is, but heroic nonetheless :laugh:

And of course it's a page snipe. :siren: There's a post advertising a new comic page at the bottom of the previous page! :siren:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
A good end to the year.

Also, a good one-panel revelation that things really are still complicated.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

"SPLONF! (AGAIN)"

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
PROTECTION FROM FIRE!!!!! STAY BACK!!!!

:D

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Well, I did get to see Durkon calling out the Order for being cool with the vampire, but it looks like it’s just gonna be and end-panel gag. Still good.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
Interesting to see how much Elan is rubbing off on Haley.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

wdarkk posted:

Interesting to see how much Elan is rubbing off on Haley.

They are two consenting adults. What they do together is none of our business.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

lovely, evil and extremely powerful

Taciturn Tactician
Jan 27, 2011

The secret to good health is a balanced diet and unstable healing radiation
Lipstick Apathy
The second time was only a raise dead instead of a resurrection, I notice. Which means she prepared both at the start of this day. Was she literally planning on doing this all along, or did she just think she might need to resurrect two people?

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Taciturn Tactician posted:

The second time was only a raise dead instead of a resurrection, I notice. Which means she prepared both at the start of this day. Was she literally planning on doing this all along, or did she just think she might need to resurrect two people?

Ehh best be careful.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Mikl posted:

Thing I noticed:

Durkon popped right back in the Thor afterlife (Valhalla?). Where only dwarfs who die heroically go. Which means he died doing something heroic. Heroically stupid, that is, but heroic nonetheless :laugh:

And of course it's a page snipe. :siren: There's a post advertising a new comic page at the bottom of the previous page! :siren:

I believe it's just dying in battle, not necessarily heroic death

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

So it looks like Odin knows about the world in the Snarl ('worlds within worlds and yarn winding yarn'), and Thor doesn't.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Assuming that he understood what he was saying in that strip....

Aumanor
Nov 9, 2012

ultrafilter posted:

Note also that him having understood it then and him understanding it now are two different things.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!

Who What Now posted:

I believe it's just dying in battle, not necessarily heroic death

Technically it's dying with honor. And he literally died while doing the honorable thing.

Not a heroic death, but a just one.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Otherkinsey Scale posted:

Technically it's dying with honor. And he literally died while doing the honorable thing.

Not a heroic death, but a just one.

Aren't those supposed to stick?

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!

Dias posted:

They're all sticks, that's the gimmick.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

ultrafilter posted:

i suspect odin's wackiness might be a little tactical

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Dias posted:

Uuuuuuuugh

Fantastic Alice
Jan 23, 2012

So what's worse, alignment debates or classpect theorycrafting?

Durkon is obviously something of life.

Post poste
Mar 29, 2010

it's time

Malpais Legate
Oct 1, 2014

xanthan posted:

What have you done?!

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Taciturn Tactician posted:

She didn't even know he was undead when she prepared spells

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

ikanreed posted:

She didn't even know he was undead when she prepared spells

Maybe she just keeps those spells prepared in case she has an opportunity to sell her death-defying services

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

xanthan posted:

Wrong edition. His domains are Storm and Good

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

fool_of_sound posted:

Wrong edition. His domains are Storm and Good
The Bore of Storm, from the Land of Caves and Clerics.

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Malpais Legate posted:

What have you done?!

I'm not sure what'll be worse, that or all the whiny rules pedantry about Durkon's raise penalties again.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Why did Durkon get resurrected in the clothes he died in, anyway?

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS

Tenebrais posted:

Why did Durkon get resurrected in the clothes he died in, anyway?

He didn’t?

He got a True Rez after being dusted. For Roy, that meant returning naked, but I suppose being a high level cleric offers some extra perks for Durkon, such as a bit of dignity in temporary death.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

Slashrat posted:

He didn’t?

He got a True Rez after being dusted. For Roy, that meant returning naked, but I suppose being a high level cleric offers some extra perks for Durkon, such as a bit of dignity in temporary death.

Nah, just a regular rez.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
Ah well, the salient point was that they both got resurrected from a state in which they had no whole corporal body left.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Durkon got dusted with his robes on; you can still see the tear from when he exposed his heart to Belkar. Roy died in his armor, but Haley eventually removed and put it in her bag of holding. I guess one of the benefits of disintegration is that your clothes are considered part of your remains.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
That's a neat detail, and suddenly makes me think that disintegration -> true resurrection might make for a secure storage system for characters of the evil inclination.

Entrust the item you wish to store to a loyal but nameless, generic minion, disintegrate them at a time and location only you know and disperse the dust into the ocean/desert wind/whatever. True resurrect them again when you need the item by using the time and location of the death. Soul trap the minion's soul for good measure.
Should any do-gooders somehow both release the minion's soul and get enough information to uniquely identity the minion afterward for a ress, you'd hopefully have selected a minion loyal enough to reject a ress from anyone not matching your alignment (or any alignment you designate). If you expect the competition to match you in the alignment department, you might also take the extra effort to make sure your minion is capable and equipped to put up a good fight (or else immediately escape and return to you) after the ress.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
That probably doesn't work though, because eventually said minion's soul will be absorbed into whatever afterlife they got sent to. And there's no guarantee if they have their items on the otherside that some demon won't steal them.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Just True Res them and re-do the disintegration every (caster level x 10) years. Simple!

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Android Blues posted:

Just True Res them and re-do the disintegration every (caster level x 10) years. Simple!

That's the thing, I don't think even True Res works after a point, your soul is gone forever after a certain point of stewing in the afterlife.

Maybe if you also soul steal and keep the minion's soul in a gem for safe keeping it could work, but those magic items better be worth it.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

A minion that can cast True Resurrection is probably already thinking about becoming undead anyways. That seems like a pretty fragile situation.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

I think it also depends which afterlife you go to. Lemures in the Nine Hells, the Lawful Evil afterlife, are transformed from mortal souls into craven little goop monsters pretty much as soon as the souls arrive. Generally the "good" afterlives seem to have a longer expiration date on your individuality, so that would probably make it a better strategy for pulling off benevolent schemes than wicked ones.

Poltergrift
Feb 16, 2014

"When I grow up, I'm gonna be a proper swordsman. One with clothes."
Convince the minion to swear a blood oath that goes unfulfilled, and they'll be stuck outside the pearly gates forever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Android Blues posted:

I think it also depends which afterlife you go to. Lemures in the Nine Hells, the Lawful Evil afterlife, are transformed from mortal souls into craven little goop monsters pretty much as soon as the souls arrive. Generally the "good" afterlives seem to have a longer expiration date on your individuality, so that would probably make it a better strategy for pulling off benevolent schemes than wicked ones.

Well, we know from the Familicide saga that fiends can maintain the individuality of souls that catch their interest, so maybe the scheme can still be upheld if you bring on board a powerful being of the ventral planes and pledge your underling's soul to them.
And really, what kind of artifact would you go to that effort to conceal if you're not dealing with great cosmic evils?