Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Watch Man of Steel! It’s the worst

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

We Have Important Work To Do
Murder Party just got put on Netflix, watch that up

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

mike12345 posted:

I'm 30 mins into the Infinity War, and contemplating skipping it. Is the Last Jedi more fun? I need some crappy movies for new years, trying to catch up with last years hype(s).

It's got some well shot sequences, you may enjoy it.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.
Infinity War? More like Infinity Bore!

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT
Infinity War is only worth watching for Peter dinklarge

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

Wouldn't be really surprised if Game of Thrones characters start showing up.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

CelticPredator posted:

Also I hope Star Wars wins and eats everyone’s who hated the last Jedi.

Jumanji 3 will win.

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

I think I'm going with My Friend Dahmer. Been meaning to watch that, and keep forgetting.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

mike12345 posted:

I think I'm going with My Friend Dahmer. Been meaning to watch that, and keep forgetting.

Good choice. Outside of maybe one or two shots and Kylo "the square" Ren, there's nothing of value in TLJ. It's a contradictory mess of ideas and reheated leftovers from empire strikes back

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

mike12345 posted:

Is the Last Jedi more fun? I need some crappy movies for new years, trying to catch up with last years hype(s).

The first half(?) is pretty movie-movie, but then it just devolves into badly-edited action intercut with lengthy bits of expository dialogue.

When you see it referred to as ‘subversive’, this actually means the narrative incoherence from obvious focus-group mandated reshoots defied hypercommercial youtuber clickbait-speculation.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Happy New Year, you filthy animals. Seriously, a lot of y'all are better friends than I deserve, and I firmly intend, with all of my mind, body and soul, to make 2019 kick rear end as opposed to the shitshow that was 2018.

Almost Blue
Apr 18, 2018

K. Waste posted:

It's more dick abuse than trauma. Like, if there's one overarching message of Game Over, Man! - like, something that consistently holds as a theme established in the beginning and paying off at the end - it's that really getting your dick cut off isn't such a big deal.

CineD GenChat: It's more dick abuse than dick trauma

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

2019 is the year Akira, Blade Runner, and The Running Man take place in. A good year for dystopias.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
Yo do I need to be watchin Happy Dethday cause Happy Dethday 2 U looks kinda ill.

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!
Proud of this tweet:
https://twitter.com/SchneidRemarks/status/1080151040970973185

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Anonymous Robot posted:

Yo do I need to be watchin Happy Dethday cause Happy Dethday 2 U looks kinda ill.

I rewatched it recently and it's a silly dumb movie that kind of rules so watch it. and yeah the sequel looks insane (though the trailer gives away the ending of the first one)

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

We Have Important Work To Do
https://imdb.com/title/tt9495238/goofs?ref_=m_tt_trv_gf

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
Happy New Year! I don't think I've ever had such low expectations for the future in general, so I maybe that'll help. v :(v

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

Can’t wait to spend 2019 hearing every day about an election that won’t happen until 2020 is nearly over

At the New Year's party I went to somebody got mixed up and said HAPPY 2020 at midnight and the general reaction was "Oh god please, I wish"

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I made a gimmick thread, check it out.

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT
After watching a bit of Bandersnatch last night and thinking about this looming huge research assignment I'm going to have this semester at uni, are there any other films that actively engage the audience/gently caress with expectations of narrative choices? I've thought of the William Castle one, Mr Sardonicus, and Clue (to an extent) as well as Bandersnatch, obviously.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

I, Butthole posted:

After watching a bit of Bandersnatch last night and thinking about this looming huge research assignment I'm going to have this semester at uni, are there any other films that actively engage the audience/gently caress with expectations of narrative choices? I've thought of the William Castle one, Mr Sardonicus, and Clue (to an extent) as well as Bandersnatch, obviously.

Do you mean, with alternate endings or just metatextual addressing the audience? Can't think of any cyoas but Atonement and Gremlins 2 are in the latter

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

I DEMAND IT

bushisms.txt posted:

Do you mean, with alternate endings or just metatextial addressing the audience. Can't think of any cyoas but Atonement and Gremlins 2 are in the latter

Not just alternate endings but some element of choice (which is where Clue gets a bit iffy, I guess) - Mr Sardonicus had a 'punishment poll' handed out which supposedly changed the last reel, and Bandersnatch obviously has more interactivity with the script.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
I wonder how Farmer Michael and Kathleen spent the new year https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LdIUoYP8goI

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

bushisms.txt posted:

Do you mean, with alternate endings or just metatextual addressing the audience? Can't think of any cyoas but Atonement and Gremlins 2 are in the latter

Savages had an insanely lovely one of the latter also.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
Did everyone gave up on criticker for letterboxd?

K. Waste posted:

for what it's worse, this is more or less my take on it

http://scrapsoncinema.blogspot.com/2018/08/the-usual-suspects.html

Thanks, at least it got me more interested into seeing it

Friends Are Evil
Oct 25, 2010

cats cats cats

gently caress starting the year off with dignity, I'm going to make Jason X my first film of 2019. That Cronenberg cameo is so great.

Honest Thief posted:

I did. The percentiles were way too out of whack for me.

Friends Are Evil fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Jan 1, 2019

Electronico6
Feb 25, 2011

Honest Thief posted:

Letterboxd is all fancy and filled with stats and all that web 2.0 poo poo, while Criticker is still very much an excel spreadsheet.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I've been putting off making a Letterboxd account for too long so as long as their site is tablet friendly I think I'll actually get to that today.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

It helps that they finally seem to have figured out the issues which made their site crash 50% of the time.

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
I have close to 1000 films ranked on criticer, I really don't want to put in the effort to move it over.
If I don't care about looks, what kind of stats and stuff can I get from Letterboxd that would give me an incentive to get on there?

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Friends Are Evil posted:

gently caress starting the year off with dignity, I'm going to make Jason X my first film of 2019. That Cronenberg cameo is so great.

Cronenberg plus the slumberbag kill make that movie completely worth it. Uber-Jason being completely stupid and ridiculous is the icing on the cake.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
The first movie I have watched in 2019 isn't really a proper movie; it's the concert film Queen Rock Montreal (originally released in 1981 as We Will Rock You and then re-released in this form in 2007). It isn't as good as Stop Making Sense but it's still good stuff. Despite the purportedly difficult circumstances which surrounded its production, I think it captures the band at their absolute peak. It was all shot in 35mm whereas a lot of concert recordings are shot on video so it looks very good as well.

Friends Are Evil
Oct 25, 2010

cats cats cats

Timby posted:

Cronenberg plus the slumberbag kill make that movie completely worth it. Uber-Jason being completely stupid and ridiculous is the icing on the cake.
The liquid nitrogen kill is an all-timer, but everyone already talks about it.

It's the best "horror movie guy, but in space" movie by a wide margin.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ezU_rvLtMCc

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
Men in Black is the official first movie of the year for me. That got me wanting to watch X Files again, which was apparently taken off Netflix, long story short I ended up getting Hulu finally. What's good on there? I'm excited to finally watch Skate Kitchen.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Killing Eve.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I, Butthole posted:

Not just alternate endings but some element of choice (which is where Clue gets a bit iffy, I guess) - Mr Sardonicus had a 'punishment poll' handed out which supposedly changed the last reel, and Bandersnatch obviously has more interactivity with the script.

Kinoautomat

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

married but discreet posted:

I have close to 1000 films ranked on criticer, I really don't want to put in the effort to move it over.
If I don't care about looks, what kind of stats and stuff can I get from Letterboxd that would give me an incentive to get on there?

If you don't care about aesthetics, the lists are the reason to make the switch. Those lists are so much better than anything Criticker produced and that's coming from someone who used it for like 8 years. I had 2,083 rankings on Criticker when I made the switch, it's never going to be easier than it is now.

What helped me was simplifying the process - unless I had a really clear star rating in mind for something that I watched before switching systems, I just marked it watched or watched and liked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

Friends Are Evil posted:

The liquid nitrogen kill is an all-timer, but everyone already talks about it.

It's the best "horror movie guy, but in space" movie by a wide margin.

There's an episode of Mythbusters where they tested that. I saw it recently and was really amused they did.