Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Edgar Allan Pwned
Apr 4, 2011

Quoth the Raven "I love the power glove. It's so bad..."

Zzulu posted:

Being too old to be swole is debunked my friend

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uKJaZDGVNWA

You can be swole to the day you die. Leave a swole corpse my friend

This is cool. The guy got into weightlifting in his 40s and it was a positive coping skill for him. But why does anyone bother wearing a shirt when it hangs that low? what is that shirts purpose??

will this be a 2019 gbs weightloss thread or would YLLS be better for weekly check ins?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edgar Allan Pwned
Apr 4, 2011

Quoth the Raven "I love the power glove. It's so bad..."
Well the 2019 weightloss thread isnt up yet so Im going to post now so i can get my stats out of the way.

Sex: Female
Height: 5'2"
Current Weight: 183
Goal Weight: 135
Arms: 11 1/2
Bust: 42 1/2
waist: 36
hips/rear end: both are 43

Last year I was able to make the lifestyle change of lifting 3x a week. There was defs times i didnt get to the gym but I always ended up going back and I feel its a habit. Cardio was a bit more varying. Jogged on weekends and spent one day a week at an elliptical for an hour. Did not really count calories but I eat out less and eat more veggies.

Goals:
I want to walk outside everyday.
More consistently running on weekends
maintain 3x week weightlifting
Look thinner

Role Model: Stefanie Cohen -No pics but shes about my height, my age, weighs around 120-130 lbs and has a 415 squat and 545 deadlift. I want to be that strong and weigh that little.

My scale is kind of wonky so I weighed myself today and was 170, I donated plasma three days ago and was told my weight is 183 so I went with the bigger number. I dont really plan on weighing myself weekly because Im going to obsess over the number. Hence the body stats. Do not have a food scale, but will try to take pics of what im eating for portion reference at least.

Dixville
Nov 4, 2008

I don't think!
Ham Wrangler

dantheman650 posted:

I’ve been lifting for nearly ten years after learning about it on these very forums. When I started I got trapped under the empty bar doing my first ever bench press.

I get warm fuzzies when I see inexperienced or newer lifters lifting light weight because I know their journey is beginning and getting super strong lies in store. Plus, never underestimate someone’s strength. They may be lifting light because they just finished some heavy work sets, or because they are doing mad volume.

In short, never worry about how much you’re lifting, just strive to always do a bit better next time.

My personal thread contribution: down about six pounds (200 -> 194) since the beginning of November. I’ve never had visible abs but nothing will stop me on this quest.

This is a good reminder, I get kind of discouraged having to start over when I get out of shape. Another reason people might have to keep the weights low would be injury. You have to start back somewhere.

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

I lost 22 pounds in 2018, only 11 pounds till I hit my "ideal weight". :toot:

I still feel fat, and I'm still going to feel fat in 11 pounds, despite having photos of myself at that weight where I look skinny. I'm kinda dreading hitting my goal weight, because I'm never satisfied, and have to fight to keep myself from going full skeleton like I have in the past.

I haven't counted calories for the last 6 months, just been eyeballing it, but I'm gonna have to start counting calories to stop losing weight.

Broke brains are fun.

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

That's a high quality avatar right there.
Was hoping to get 2019 off to a good start and drop a few pounds.

Wasn’t expecting to lose it all in one day thanks to food poisoning.🤮🤮🤮

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

Bloodfart McCoy posted:

Was hoping to get 2019 off to a good start and drop a few pounds.

Wasn’t expecting to lose it all in one day thanks to food poisoning.🤮🤮🤮

Congrats on your illness-related weight loss. When I was in high school I got strep throat, tonsillitis, and bronchitis at the same time. When I came back to school I had suddenly gone from chubby to skinny, it was awesome.

Lost like 30 pounds in a month with the simple trick of not being able to eat.

Kullik
Jan 5, 2017

Lost all the weight I gained over Christmas as of today and feeling good and ready to keep going and lose the rest :)

Piggy Smalls
Jun 21, 2015

BOSS MAKES A DOLLAR,
YOU MAKE A DIME,
I'LL LICK HIS BOOT TILL THOSE MOTHERFUCKERS SHINE.

How did everyone do over the holidays. I did terribly and gained some weight back. Need to somehow figure out a way to curb my late night eating and sweet tooth.

Kullik
Jan 5, 2017

i hosed myself really good and now ive been stuck at the same weight since my last post. and i keep going over because idk im just garbage i think

TheIncredulousHulk
Sep 3, 2012

Didn't really get anywhere. Class is super hard, depression's ramped up and I can't afford my meds anymore, but I'm gonna keep trying to get a foothold. If I can get like a decent week or so I think I'll be able to sustain it for a while, but it's hard not to just fold after two or three good days

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
I gave up booze in November and have been eating 1500 calories a day for about 3 weeks and counting. I've lost over 6kg so far and don't see myself stopping anytime soon. I'm 6'1 and was 118.5kg when I started, so I've still got a long way to go, but the physical changes are already obvious and it's really motivating me to keep this going.

The first few days were difficult because I was so drat hungry, but then it was like my body adjusted to using its reserves and the hunger is much more manageable. Eating lots of veggies is a great way to fill up without eating a ton of calories.

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost
Has anyone in this thread considered getting a butt worm? I heard they are cool and good for losing weight.

Bobcats
Aug 5, 2004
Oh
i’m starting to like spiralized squash more than normal pasta because you can eat a shitload of it

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

I kicked rear end over the holidays. I ate judiciously - I still had some sweets but I picked only the ones I wanted the most and ignored the rest. Down 11 pounds since November.

vortmax
Sep 24, 2008

In meteorology, vorticity often refers to a measurement of the spin of horizontally flowing air about a vertical axis.
I didn't lose any but I didn't gain any either. I've been really bad about going over my calorie goal for a few months. I'm still really happy to be staying around 200 lbs. (I actually kind of wonder how much all this loose skin weighs. Probably not 20 lbs.)

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

SpaceGoatFarts posted:

Has anyone in this thread considered getting a butt worm? I heard they are cool and good for losing weight.

You digested the worm so you must have gained all of it back.

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

Grevling posted:

You digested the worm so you must have gained all of it back.

Nope, still lost 3kg thanks to it.

The Dregs
Dec 29, 2005

MY TREEEEEEEE!
I'm in a bad spot. Had my thyroid removed due to Graves disease and gained sixty pounds. The weight gain caused GERD and apnea, and all three together have pretty much destroyed my health. Hungry, tired, an down all the time. I have the apnea under control, and the GERD is getting better. Time to tackle the weight. My wife is starting some trendy alternate day fasting thing today, so I'm going in with her. I'm not sure it's a good diet, but it is good to have a partner. I hope this works.

The Dregs fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Jan 23, 2019

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Had a pretty bad half year, and it turns out I still use food as an emotional crutch. Things are clearing out a little now so I'm getting back on track for losing weight. I'm already at the gym 4 days a week for well over a year so it shouldn't take much beyond eating less garbage.

Current aim- get back to BMI 24 or less, currently at about 26.5, without losing any significant muscle mass.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

So, side effect of finding out that I have gout. I drink a lot less beer, and have lost a lot of weight over the last few months.

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

I’m down 9 pounds since October.

I think the key above all else has been my attempt at “Meatless Weekdays”.

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Taskmaster 2023 Second Place Winner

Grimey Drawer
Sex: Female
Height: 5'2"
Current Weight: 192
Goal Weight: 170
Waist: 36

I've been fluctuating between 175 and 210 for the last 5 years. I was 200 a few months ago and somehow I'm down to 192 right now. Gonna try to get back to 170 and stay there.

Goals:
I want to ride on my exercise bike or lift weights at least every other day.
I want to use the track next to my house and do some real running.
Look thinner, feel better.

Role Model: Bruce Lee! gently caress Yeah!

I stole the formatting of this from a post above, thanks.

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

Put on 10 lbs since Thanksgiving. Oops.

Bright Future
Oct 9, 2007

[let's] fuck that crazy-ass robot
Overate during the holidays but I started weight training really hard at the same time so a lot of those calories turned into muscle. Gained about five pounds but overall not much damage. Shifting back into eating once a day as I find it easier to stay in my calorie budget that way.

Down to 210 from 260 eight months ago.

The Dregs
Dec 29, 2005

MY TREEEEEEEE!
First day of 500 calories was pretty tough, but I made it. Today I can eat whatever I want, but I am still just gonna have protein/fat/greens until dinner.

Eugene V. Deadlift
Apr 8, 2013

Piggy Smalls posted:

How did everyone do over the holidays. I did terribly and gained some weight back. Need to somehow figure out a way to curb my late night eating and sweet tooth.

Since no one is answering: my dude have you tried dried apricots or mango? Find varieties with no sugar added and control your intake, and you've essentially found nature's candy.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
One thing that has really surprised me since I started counting calories is just how calorific certain foods are that I used to eat without a second thought. I bought a sausage roll this morning, because I didn't have time for my usual breakfast of oatmeal and blueberries. It was 487 calories for something that wasn't filling at all. Where the gently caress do all of those calories fit in there?! Whereas my oatmeal with semi-skimmed milk and a handful of blueberries is only just over 200 calories and way more filling.

E: also Blueberries are amazing and somehow barely calorific. Around 30 or 40 calories for a handful and they're delicious.

Bardeh fucked around with this message at 14:50 on Jan 24, 2019

The Dregs
Dec 29, 2005

MY TREEEEEEEE!

Eugene V. Deadlift posted:

Since no one is answering: my dude have you tried dried apricots or mango? Find varieties with no sugar added and control your intake, and you've essentially found nature's candy.

Fresh mango is even better.

Eugene V. Deadlift
Apr 8, 2013

The Dregs posted:

Fresh mango is even better.

The only reason I suggest dried is the texture. I love gummy candies, so the chew of dried fruit is extremely satisfying to me.

Eugene V. Deadlift fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Jan 24, 2019

Kullik
Jan 5, 2017

im getting back into it, lost two lbs since my last post.

Gonna join a gym on monday cause i hate money and wanna pay a fortune to go swimming twice.

(i hope thats not actually true but based on what a lot of people do with gym memberships....)

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

Eugene V. Deadlift posted:

The only reason I suggest dried is the texture. I love gummy candies, so the chew of dried fruit is extremely satisfying to me.

I like to eat frozen mango. You can buy a huge bag of cubed frozen mango ready cheap, it won't go bad, and it doesn't get super hard, it's a satisfying chew.

DisgracelandUSA
Aug 11, 2011

Yeah, I gets down with the homies

Tip posted:

it's a satisfying chew.

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

There is a giant tower of assorted cheese cubes in the company break room. Just trying to stay out of there today.

Proud Rat Mom
Apr 2, 2012

did absolutely fuck all

Bloodfart McCoy posted:

There is a giant tower of assorted cheese cubes in the company break room. Just trying to stay out of there today.

I usually obsess over how unclean everyone else is touching the communal food so i develop a complex strong enough to stay away from this situation.

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

Proud Rat Mom posted:

I usually obsess over how unclean everyone else is touching the communal food so i develop a complex strong enough to stay away from this situation.

I’m usually the dirtiest person, so I cancel everyone else’s germs out :(

The Dregs
Dec 29, 2005

MY TREEEEEEEE!
Holy poo poo. Two days alternate day fasting and I've lost nine pounds. I know it's just the initial shedding of water weight, but I'll be damned if it didn't brighten my day.

Dixville
Nov 4, 2008

I don't think!
Ham Wrangler
I've been maintaining and I've actually lost a couple more pounds based on the scale this morning. I am not making huge progress but I think changing too much too fast was what got me in trouble in the past. I can tell my clothes are fitting looser which is a good feeling and something that hasn't happened in quite some time.

Piggy Smalls
Jun 21, 2015

BOSS MAKES A DOLLAR,
YOU MAKE A DIME,
I'LL LICK HIS BOOT TILL THOSE MOTHERFUCKERS SHINE.

My diet is going to suffer this weekend. Heading to Vegas until Sunday and I have a tendency to over eat and drink too much when I’m there.

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
THE ONLY EXERCISE I AM UNFAMILIAR WITH IS EXERCISING MY ABILITY TO MAKE A POST PEOPLE WANT TO READ

The Dregs posted:

Holy poo poo. Two days alternate day fasting and I've lost nine pounds. I know it's just the initial shedding of water weight, but I'll be damned if it didn't brighten my day.

Do you intend to do this for the rest of your life? The most important thing about a good "diet" is that it must be a permanent lifestyle change, not a temporary heroic effort.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Dregs
Dec 29, 2005

MY TREEEEEEEE!

feelix posted:

Do you intend to do this for the rest of your life? The most important thing about a good "diet" is that it must be a permanent lifestyle change, not a temporary heroic effort.

I don't know what the hell I intend to do for the rest of my life. I do know that the rest of my life will be very short if I don't do something soon. My brother has been doing an 11-7 eating window for over a year now and has lost 70 pounds.

So yeah, if this works, and I have the willpower, I plan to do it long term. If it doesn't, I won't.