Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

The federal government is only partially shutdown. 75% of federal workers are still working.

From everything you've said about your office I assumed it was the most unessential of departments.

Now I'm frightened your co-workers may work on something important that I need.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Krispy Wafer posted:

From everything you've said about your office I assumed it was the most unessential of departments.

Now I'm frightened your co-workers may work on something important that I need.

There are a ton of low-level people who cycle in and out. A 26k per year salary with almost no chance of a raise doesn't entice people to stick around too long. I didn't directly know this person, but the HR lady just had to deal with it.

Some of my coworkers do work with important things, but many of them do admin, accounting, or clerical work for other people who do work on important things. This particular person did clerical work.

The vast vast majority of unessential departments are still open. Only 25% of the government is shutdown and some of that 25% are still coming into work, but not being paid. So, probably north of 80% of federal employees are still going to work next week.

My boss is one of the most BWM people I know, but she does her job well and is a lawyer. Lots of people (see: stereotypes about doctors and engineers) can be perfectly fine at their job, or even very skilled at a difficult job, but be absolutely terrible with money or other basic life skills.

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Dec 31, 2018

BEHOLD: MY CAPE
Jan 11, 2004

feedmegin posted:

He's already the multimillionaire owner of a well known games company. I don't think he's fussed about the money tbh.

(BWM: working in the games industry for someone like him instead of literally anything else, if you're a programmer)

No doubt, but there is something "dog bites back at man who bites dog" about ridiculous rich people hobbies when they accidently become profitable

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

BEHOLD: MY CAPE posted:

No doubt, but there is something "dog bites back at man who bites dog" about ridiculous rich people hobbies when they accidently become profitable

Me: Bitcoin is up to $30? Nah, it's just a fad.

I also have a seething hatred for YouTube car bloggers.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Residency Evil posted:

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Residency Evil posted:

Regular Car Reviews is a gem and I refuse to hear otherwise.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Krispy Wafer posted:

Regular Car Reviews is a gem and I refuse to hear otherwise.

I'm just jealous my dad wasn't a multimillionaire executive at Ralph Lauren, giving me the opportunity to screw around worry free for a few years while waiting for my YouTube channel to take off.

Something Offal
Jan 12, 2018

by FactsAreUseless
I like Doug DeMuro (AI will crucify me for saying so) and I like a few others including SavageGeese. The good car youtubers are cool because finding people that appreciate cars as something to read/learn about is very very rare for my generation, the vast majority of people couldn't care less and I bore friends to death if I talk about cars, so it's one way I can keep up with the hobby of learning about them.

I'm happy that Doug DeMuro has found success, I was an early supporter, and it's also cool that he seems pretty drat GWM. He was very thoughtful about buying a supercar in a way that's almost sure to appreciate in value.

Something Offal fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Dec 31, 2018

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal
One guy came to work today, left about 30 minutes later. Second guy showed up 2 hours late and left at normal closing time so only worked 6 hours. We get holiday pay for tomorrow but you have to work your full shift of 8 hours. I work with morons.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
Are they reporting a full 8 hours or will it be painfully clear to mgmt that they only worked partial shifts?

Because I've seen the former happen at literally every job I've held with zero repricussions, and lately I'm thinking wait wtf why don't I do that too?

You just need a sucker to stay behind to cover poo poo

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal
10 person shop, owners son runs the shop floor and the second guy came in an hour after him. Easy to tell

edit: oh I worked with one guy that had gotten fired at his previous place. Standard shifts were 6:00-2:30 or 7:00-3:30 (manufacturing can get weird) he was coming in at 7 and leaving at 2:30 with that crew, his buddy clocked him out at 3:30 to get his full 8. Think it took a few weeks for them to catch on and start checking out documentation.

UCS Hellmaker fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Jan 1, 2019

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Something Offal posted:

I like Doug DeMuro (AI will crucify me for saying so) and I like a few others including SavageGeese. The good car youtubers are cool because finding people that appreciate cars as something to read/learn about is very very rare for my generation, the vast majority of people couldn't care less and I bore friends to death if I talk about cars, so it's one way I can keep up with the hobby of learning about them.

I'm happy that Doug DeMuro has found success, I was an early supporter, and it's also cool that he seems pretty drat GWM. He was very thoughtful about buying a supercar in a way that's almost sure to appreciate in value.

I'm not even a car person and I liked his old column when he was on a gawker affiliate, good for him.

BEHOLD: MY CAPE
Jan 11, 2004

Something Offal posted:

To be sure the most good with money thing involved is to buy a supercar or multiple supercars and then write off all the car payments and fun car related travel all over the world as business expenses for your YouTube channel. The IRS has historically been skeptical of these types of hobby as a business arrangements and I suspect if they ever get around to issuing rules or guidance on this kind of thing there will be some pretty stiff limitations to the currently generous tax treatment of this type of activity.

BEHOLD: MY CAPE fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Jan 1, 2019

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IIhQCVT7Pbc

Veni Vidi Ameche!
Nov 2, 2017

by Fluffdaddy

Foma posted:

Here is the invoice broken out

Looking at you $10
a lifetime learning how to look at you $10,000

Lol

olylifter
Sep 13, 2007

I'm bad with money and you have an avatar!

hattersmad posted:

Glad to see Bill Murray’s brother is doing good.

One of Bill Murray's brothers played Freddy Rumsen in Mad Men. Another one played the guy in Wayne's World that Wayne pointed the sign that said "sphincter boy" at.

That's my favorite dumb piece of trivia.

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

olylifter posted:

One of Bill Murray's brothers played "sphincter boy."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WK--S8kuxOI

Something Offal
Jan 12, 2018

by FactsAreUseless

BEHOLD: MY CAPE posted:

To be sure the most good with money thing involved is to buy a supercar or multiple supercars and then write off all the car payments and fun car related travel all over the world as business expenses for your YouTube channel. The IRS has historically been skeptical of these types of hobby as a business arrangements and I suspect if they ever get around to issuing rules or guidance on this kind of thing there will be some pretty stiff limitations to the currently generous tax treatment of this type of activity.

You know what, now that you mention it Doug has never to my knowledge discussed how he treats his supercar payments in terms of tax deductions. The payments are sizable as he received a 6 figure loan for the purchase. He has probably avoided the discussion on purpose. I bet he's not ballsy enough to deduct 100% of his payments but I wonder what percentage he's using.

Car I'm referencing is an older Ford GT by the way.

Blinkman987
Jul 10, 2008

Gender roles guilt me into being fat.
A few years back I found my 1993-2004 Magic collection was worth a lot of money somehow. Apparently the game doubled in popularity about a decade ago and then doubled again a few years later and all that stuff is so short printed compared to the audience that there were Tempest uncommons going for ~$50 a while back that were maybe $1 - $2 when I played. And all those Friday Night Magic prize foils too. Just simple supply vs demand there.

I did miss out on investing in low graded truly classic comics. A few friends did and even a 3.0 first appearance of Galactus has appreciated like crazy over the last decade. All that mid-level collectible stuff, though? That poo poo bottomed out in 2007 and I’m not sure it ever recovered. And as everyone said, 1990s stuff lol

The short of the story is— nerds got money now. Way too much money.

Blinkman987 fucked around with this message at 14:33 on Jan 1, 2019

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

everything about what is colloquially known as #mtgfinance is intense BWM. everything about it is a lesson in why the "free market" is abusive garbage and that supply and demand aren't perfectly liquid.

there's a few older stories of the market getting cornered and prices getting permanent zeroes added on as a result; there's also stories about major websites hiring pro players as columnists, who hype a specific card in some credible way, shooting the price from $1 to $10... and then when the hype wears off, the price settles back at $5. and there's also the ones where WotC reprints something old, where the value was entirely derived from the relatively small supply compared to the large number of modern players; and then there's the published list of cards that WotC has promised never to do this with, creating a permanent and growing price barrier to playing certain kinds of deck that need those cards.

the real BWM is knowing how much fun the game can be if you have the right pieces to play it with, and there's a lot of schadenfreude in having your fun game piece explode in cash value to the point where you have to consider whether you want to take it out of the house at all. sure, I could sell it and be GWM, but then if I ever wanted to use it again, I'd have to go see what the NEW market value is...

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

I like Savagegeese's well produced reviews and TheTopher's straightforward POV drives. And The Straight Pipes are fun dudes.

My addiction recently has been MotorWeek retro reviews from decades past. "The Corvette completes our quarter mile in a lightning quick 16 seconds" lol

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

AndrewP posted:

I like Savagegeese's well produced reviews and TheTopher's straightforward POV drives. And The Straight Pipes are fun dudes.

My addiction recently has been MotorWeek retro reviews from decades past. "The Corvette completes our quarter mile in a lightning quick 16 seconds" lol

It's crazy how much faster a V6 Camry today is when compared to many "exotics" from the 80s to early 90s.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
I think about buying an older car from the 70's and then realize I'd like a fuel injector, an emissions system worth a drat, decent gas mileage, and to live through a 35mph crash.

My old Volkswagen had the most pointless seat belts and a javelin for a steering column.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country
Lest we forget the tale of MTGOX.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

gb2ai

The phone complaint in this one is whatever, but the throwaway details: Verizon has decided to charge my account over $600+ for something out of my control

quote:

I recently had an early upgrade available at Verizon, I went in and gave them my old iPhone X to trade up to the iPhone XS.
[...]
I’m leaving for a flight to Iceland and I can’t drop it off at a mailbox and the guy there says he’ll kindly do it for me.
[...]
I’m already barley going to make rent here, I cannot afford another $600 being placed on top by a greedy and heartless corporation.

Also odds seem decent that the Verizon employee pocketed his iPhone X and replaced it with a broken one and mailed the broken one off.

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.

Something Offal posted:

You know what, now that you mention it Doug has never to my knowledge discussed how he treats his supercar payments in terms of tax deductions. The payments are sizable as he received a 6 figure loan for the purchase. He has probably avoided the discussion on purpose. I bet he's not ballsy enough to deduct 100% of his payments but I wonder what percentage he's using.

Car I'm referencing is an older Ford GT by the way.

While he hasn't talked about that, relevant to this thread he has made a video on how hard it was to get an insurance policy to cover him when he's driving cars for his reviews (particularly the $1 million+ supercars) and how most Youtube car channels just don't bother:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oep2KoSKSWo

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

Krispy Wafer posted:

I think about buying an older car from the 70's and then realize I'd like a fuel injector, an emissions system worth a drat, decent gas mileage, and to live through a 35mph crash.

My old Volkswagen had the most pointless seat belts and a javelin for a steering column.

Older cars look really cool, carbs have character, emissions won't affect you personally, and living through a 35 mph crash is totally overrated. Pay up your life insurance and it becomes GWM for your beneficiary!

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

therobit posted:

Older cars look really cool, carbs have character, emissions won't affect you personally, and living through a 35 mph crash is totally overrated. Pay up your life insurance and it becomes GWM for your beneficiary!

Now that they have services where you can rent other people’s cars, I should just borrow their money pits when I want to pretend I’m a cool cat from the 70’s.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Inept posted:

gb2ai

The phone complaint in this one is whatever, but the throwaway details: Verizon has decided to charge my account over $600+ for something out of my control

Also odds seem decent that the Verizon employee pocketed his iPhone X and replaced it with a broken one and mailed the broken one off.

quote:

...the phone is basically free with trade in as an upgrade, has no one upgraded before? And not that it’s anyone’s business but my girlfriend took me on that trip free of charge for personal reasons. It’s been a tough year, I don’t need people analyzing my money, I just asked for help in this matter.

I’m strategic with my money and always find ways to get things cheap or free, like the iPhone XS, or I wouldn’t have gotten it.

Who straight up buys a $1000+ phone anyways?

quote:

Well 1: most people can’t afford to flat out buy most decent smart phones, and since everywhere I look I see iPhones, pixels and S9’s I’m going to assume that most people aren’t dropping a grand, that’s not hard to guess. And a google search doesn’t hurt either.

And no, I don’t need to be specific about my plan when asking how to combat Verizon, especially since knowing the plan I have doesn’t help my situation in any way.
:allears:

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal
He cannot grasp that there are some people that dont want 1000 dollar phones and get by with decent models that are 200 dollars.
IT WAS A FREE UPGRADE!!! (I pay each month to lease the phone)

Raldikuk
Apr 7, 2006

I'm bad with money and I want that meatball!

UCS Hellmaker posted:

He cannot grasp that there are some people that dont want 1000 dollar phones and get by with decent models that are 200 dollars.
IT WAS A FREE UPGRADE!!! (I pay each month to lease the phone)

Yeah my favorite part of that thread is the dude's insistence that it is free! But he reveals earlier in that thread he pays /$120 per month/ for the privilege. I suspect (hope) that's the entire plan including device payment but who knows. He also doesn't get that it is a loan not a lease. The program he is referring to allows one to get into a new model if their current device is 50%+ paid off. If it is you can trade it in and have that applied and you continue making payments. So that $1000 phone he insists he doesn't pay for... he has. Just like anyone else with a payment plan. But he insists over and over again the phone is free and how dare anyone suggest he isn't living within his means.

If he's telling the truth it kind of sucks but that's always been a risk that the phone will get there and they declare it not good enough. He didn't even get an actual verizon store to do this for him he went to a reseller. But despite all of that he figured he just had this free phone and was going to get a new free phone so he put zero thought into the fact that if they determine it isn't basically like new condition (so they can sell it for a premium) they'll stick you with the remaining balance.

And dude does seem to think everyone has iphones and s9s when in reality most don't. Some of the lower end samsung phones look similar so I can understand some confusion but dude is buying a $1000 phone every year and justifying it with "everyone else does it and no one can afford it so it must be free!"

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

I found this image on the Internet, perhaps you've heard of it? It's been around for a while I hear.

A little more MTG content, OC:
Several years back I went through my brother's old MTG correction from the mid-90s, and as you'd expect most of them had catalog values of $0.01-0.06, but a handful were in the 0.25-$1 range, and two were very valuable dual land cards. The listed prices for the two were around $150 and $170, but I knew I'd have trouble selling them to an interested buyer around those prices (if I could even find one), and wasn't sure what to do with the rest of the deck.

Around the same time, I ran into an old college friend at a fraternity reunion thing, and out of the blue it turned out he had just started getting into the game and was pretty fires up about it. My ears perked up and I eventually worked out selling ALL the cards to him for $330. It was a bit risky because he was on his way back out of town, and I couldn't get guaranteed money from him through Venmo or PayPal, so I gave him the cards and my brother's info so he could send him a check.

This college friend had done some pretty scummy things I recalled in college and I was legitimately worried my brother wouldn't get his money and I'd have to eat the difference. But eventually he did in fact receive a check for the agreed upon amount and life went on.

Since then, the cards' values have shot up again somehow to around $900 combined, and now I'm not sure who the BWM party is in the story. We were happy to get rid of an asset wasting space in our parents' closet for a fair market price, and there was no way to know how the price would've moved after that point. Now I don't know if my friend had resold the cards or still has them to either play with or speculate with, but I also remember making fun of bitcoins in a 2012 thread on SA when a $100 gamble at the time could've been very lucrative even now after the crash (even though most likely I would have lost them to that other MTG-related thing, the MTGOX scandal; one of my co-workers bought some at $8 through there and they're gone for good).

Oh well, my brother got airfare or vacation money out of it, at least.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Timing the market is bad even more so when it's magic cards.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Yea, occasionally I think about making fun of bitcoins when they were a dollar or something and who is laughing now, but if I'd been the kind of person to buy in I probably would have lost them on an exchange, borrowed money for them, given myself brain damage from overheating miners, etc. If you make consistently careful choices you'll miss a unicorn, but you also mix two dozen terrible money traps along the way.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
money in your hand right now is worth more than a nebulous promise of future money

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

Thanks for a MONSTER of an avatar, Awful Survivor Mods!
Magic cards, especially legacy cards, have only continually appreciated in value because the economy has. The first time people really need money, they're not going to hold onto the $800 underground seas they play once (or fewer) a year. Old cards are being propped up by:

1) The Reserved list (Hasbro promised they wouldn't reprint them)
2) A US/World economy that isn't straining the kind of people that collect old magic cards (rich neckbeards)
3) Counterfeit cards still not really passing the eye test (this will likely change in the next few years)
4) A shadowy cabal of #MTGFinance buying out massive quantities of certain cards and causing price spikes (this is a real thing but it's not really affecting the overall rising price of cards)

They're stupid pieces of cardboard and could go up in value a million more times before they crash, but they've never been close to a safe investment

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

It's a problem you think we need to explain ourselves.
Anyone serviceable with photoshop want to help me out with something? Free gang tag of your choice

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009

Spokes posted:

3) Counterfeit cards still not really passing the eye test (this will likely change in the next few years)

Murderball posted:

Anyone serviceable with photoshop want to help me out with something? Free gang tag of your choice

:hmmyes:

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

money in your hand right now is worth more than a nebulous promise of future money
And it's easy to say you should have bet everything on black after you see it landed there. Stupidly risky decisions don't retroactively become smart just because you won the gamble, and nobody thinks about all the gambles that didn't pay off massively for the people who bought in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

I haven't had a job for a year in a half and we have a shitload of debt. I guess I'd better get a job soon

Can we ever get out of this pit we dug ourselves? Need reasonable solutions.

quote:

We currently have a ton of debt. Right now everything is current but we’ve been “robbing Peter to pay Paul”. I’m currently unemployed and have been for about 18 months which has contributed to our debt. I’m not at all proud of it as I’ve basically ruined our family and I don’t see any way out of this. I’m looking for a new job ASAP and taking anything I can get but so far nothing.

Our net monthly income and expenses are as follows:

Wife’s income: $3750 Monthly expenses: $7049

We are negative $3329 each month without me being employed. I need a job at $55k to break even which I have had previously so I could probably be in the $40k-70k range for a new job depending on what comes up the soonest. I’ll even take temp work for $17/hr. My wife does get an annual bonus that is not figures into this because it’s not a guarantee we want to bank on (although the company gives one every year). The lowest she’s ever had is 10%. This also does not take into account my student loans which are at $73k. I have FedLoan so I’m at $0 per month due to unemployment.

Can we get out of this at all? Any advice/options? We’ve stopped using credit cards completely now. I’m trying to make it work and avoid bankruptcy but I feel we are too far gone.

Edit: monthly expenses we can cut are cable ($90 to cancel early but saves us $350 over the contract) to save $52/month, experian credit score fee (didn’t know my wife was paying this) for $13, Apple Music for $16, and we are trying to get a refund and out of contract for our basketball tickets that we didn’t remember to cancel in time but if we can that would save us 6 more payments of $310. Lots of poor choices on our part.