Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

I painted mine black and named it Eidolon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
My Cyclops is BIG BOI and is all bright red

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!
I should call mine The Naked Gun and set it condom grey.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Obviously it's bright yellow and called the Yoko Oh No.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

so i was playing last night, saved my game and exited.

came back just now, my last save was from 6 hours before i stopped playing. apparently that save didn't work or something, erasing 6 hours of progress.

cool. radical. gnarly. far out.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

oh even better. i loaded that save and it was the one i panic-made while trying to get unstuck because i was driving my seamoth and apparently the alien facility on the island decided not to load and when it did load i was inside it underwater, trapping me and my seamoth in there. the only way i got out was due to a warper warping me out to the other side after 15 minutes of trying to smash my seamoth into wall corners at different angles. so now i get to sit here and try and get a warper to save me again.

you know i really really wish i loved the experience of playing this game as much as i love the concept of what they were trying to do with it, but jesus loving christ what a poorly-made piece of loving poo poo this game is sometimes.

like i don't even know if i'm gonna bother finishing it, 6 hours is a long goddamn time, i had torn down my entire previous base at the grand reef and moved to a new, really elaborate one right near the giant cove tree in preparation to complete the game, and that entire process alone took me about 4 hours. i don't even have a fuckin cyclops anymore, i have to go and find the last two bridge pieces again before i can build it, which is what i was trying to do when i got stuck out-of-bounds. ugh.

DEEP STATE PLOT fucked around with this message at 05:33 on Jan 1, 2019

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

oh even better. i loaded that save and it was the one i panic-made while trying to get unstuck because i was driving my seamoth and apparently the alien facility on the island decided not to load and when it did load i was inside it underwater, trapping me and my seamoth in there. the only way i got out was due to a warper warping me out to the other side after 15 minutes of trying to smash my seamoth into wall corners at different angles. so now i get to sit here and try and get a warper to save me again.

you know i really really wish i loved the experience of playing this game as much as i love the concept of what they were trying to do with it, but jesus loving christ what a poorly-made piece of loving poo poo this game is sometimes.

like i don't even know if i'm gonna bother finishing it, 6 hours is a long goddamn time, i had torn down my entire previous base at the grand reef and moved to a new, really elaborate one right near the giant cove tree in preparation to complete the game, and that entire process alone took me about 4 hours. i don't even have a fuckin cyclops anymore, i have to go and find the last two bridge pieces again before i can build it, which is what i was trying to do when i got stuck out-of-bounds. ugh.

Console, yo

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

boar guy posted:

yeah. it's like fine as a novelty but you absolutely do not need it

You don’t need swim fins or air tanks but it makes things a whole lot easier.

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010
You never need to build a base either, but it's kind of masochistic to not to..

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:
As fun as it is stabbing Stalkers to death, do I ever get a gun or a laser cannon at any point because I can see myself very soon going after the very loud howling monster near the Aurora with my trusty blade.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed

Judge Tesla posted:

As fun as it is stabbing Stalkers to death, do I ever get a gun or a laser cannon at any point because I can see myself very soon going after the very loud howling monster near the Aurora with my trusty blade.

Not really, there are a few tools that let you defend yourself better, but the game made creatures hard to kill on purpose. You are better off running away from them.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

The only true completion run is to kill absolutely every self-animated life form on the map.

timn
Mar 16, 2010
This game is a big favorite of mine and I want to try it in VR now that I have a headset. However when I launch it I'm presented with the start screen with no discernible way to interact with the menus. Neither KB+M nor my 360 controller seem to do anything, though I do have a seemingly non-functional mouse cursor where the game displays on the my monitor. I also know the game isn't supposed to support motion controllers, though sometimes I get a button on the menu to randomly highlight when fiddling with them.

I've also tried launching the game without either of the motion controllers turned on in case the game is detecting them as controllers and locking out other inputs. However the game starts with the head position in the totally wrong place where I can't even see the menus, and it seems like I need the motion controller to access the steamVR menu to manually reset it.

Google hasn't been much help here. Has anyone else messed around with this game in VR? Launching the game in normal mode has no issues with KB+M input.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

It’s incredibly janky to play in VR. The menus and everything are garbage. Enough so I gave up and just played it in normal mode. Fun to look around in tho.

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

No man ever did me so much good, or enemy so much harm, but I repaid him with ENDLESS SHITPOSTING
holy loving poo poo the cyclops is huge

there are so many things i need to keep in mind with this and figure out with upgrades and everything, all i wanted was something to make my prawn suit go faster

that's a solid 'save and exit' moment, ive done enough fish punching and rock gathering for today

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Sulla Faex posted:

all i wanted was something to make my prawn suit go faster

Grapple arm spider man, yo

Vernii
Dec 7, 2006

Does the escape pod have a defined area within which it lands, or can it move over time? I just started a hardmode playthrough and the starting location of the pod is about 230 meters from where it was in my prior game.

LeschNyhan
Sep 2, 2006

Vernii posted:

Does the escape pod have a defined area within which it lands, or can it move over time? I just started a hardmode playthrough and the starting location of the pod is about 230 meters from where it was in my prior game.

I’ve heard that it gradually drifts until you repair it. Your first game likely had more fumbling around until you fixed it and therefore more time to drift.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

LeschNyhan posted:

I’ve heard that it gradually drifts until you repair it. Your first game likely had more fumbling around until you fixed it and therefore more time to drift.

I believe that was a feature in the beta but I don't think it does that any more. It definitely has a randomized starting location within the shallows area.

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

No man ever did me so much good, or enemy so much harm, but I repaid him with ENDLESS SHITPOSTING
does the fauna also move around a bit during the game? I've only got the one save, which I'm like 10 or so hours in, but my starting base in the shallows is now seeing a bunch of stalkers up close to or behind my lifepod, whereas I don't recall them going anywhere near there in the first however long. It's kind of disconcerting

BBQ Dave
Jun 17, 2012

Well, that's easy for you to say. You have a bad imagination. It's stupid. I live in a fantasy world.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Obviously it's bright yellow and called the Yoko Oh No.

You won the question!

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010

Sulla Faex posted:

does the fauna also move around a bit during the game? I've only got the one save, which I'm like 10 or so hours in, but my starting base in the shallows is now seeing a bunch of stalkers up close to or behind my lifepod, whereas I don't recall them going anywhere near there in the first however long. It's kind of disconcerting

Fauna have their predetermined spawn points and then their AI routine does whatever the hell it does. Stalkers in particular are attracted to nearby titanium deposits and can end up ranging pretty drat far in search of shinies - they find a piece of wreckage, decide a nearby spot is their home, drag the wreckage there, another stalker spots the new nest and goes to steal the salvage.. rinse and repeat. I've had stalkers swim down to the jellyshroom caves and fight over who gets to steal my camera drones.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
This time around I'm giving coastal bases a go. Generally I find it helps to build them in between biomes and regions.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
I've been playing this pretty obsessively. Big on spoilers here.

I've built some giant base in one of the grassy reefs just next to the big dune area with reapers everywhere. Not actually scary now that i know vehicles can all survive at least one hit, so I just need to not be swimming directly where they're "patrolling".

I've also been down to the tree cove! I'm pretty sure they intended on you building a base down there, because of all the quartz/titanium/uranium/thermal vents/complete lack of hostile life.

They probably didn't expect me to build a giant base going around the tree cove in a square though. Just need a bit more titanium.

I mined some Kyanite! I completely missed that the prawn had a depth module 1 so I went to a lava area, got my cyclops absolutely covered in lava larva, almost crushed my prawn getting 3 pieces of the stuff, took it back up, repaired it.

I then had to blast off all the lava larva, then realised that they'd keep reattaching until I killed them.

Such is game. I haven't picked up the radio yet because I know about the sunbeam explosion (gf and i play in the same room), so i've had literally 0 markers to guide me forward aside from my own need to explore.

Where the gently caress is a cuddlefish

Oh an on the scanner room talk. gently caress yeah I love the scanner room. I was short on copper and told it to scan limestone for me. Put in the hud upgrade. Holy poo poo, I couldn't see.

It was also very useful for exploring the purple mushroom cave for the first time when I still had fear.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

dogstile posted:

Check around lost river/the way to lost river, search a couple of the abandoned places more closely

mortons stork
Oct 13, 2012
So apparently taking the prawn suit to the green acid caves wasn't such a stellar idea as now I can't get back up. Welp. I guess I will be exploring in my seamoth until I absolutely have to go below 900m then. It's hella faster anyway.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

mortons stork posted:

So apparently taking the prawn suit to the green acid caves wasn't such a stellar idea as now I can't get back up. Welp. I guess I will be exploring in my seamoth until I absolutely have to go below 900m then. It's hella faster anyway.

Find and build a grapple arm and you can go install it and climb out.

Alternatively and more expensively, build a cyclops and upgrade its depth and go pick up your prawn.

Sandwich Anarchist fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Jan 2, 2019

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ovHSLLNYv8Q

i don't know what the gently caress happened here, i had saved and quit last night, only to load up today and find...whatever the gently caress was happening here on my cyclops' bridge. i exited without saving, reloaded, still there. drove around, still there. found out that i could 'move' it by building things on top with the habitat builder, only for it to 'move' onto the driver controls, rendering the cyclops undrivable. reloaded, kept loving around, eventually gave up because i could not get rid of it. guess i have a giant invisible barrier loving up the bridge of my cyclops for the rest of the game now, how fuckin neat.

you know i don't think i've wanted to love a game more than this one in many many years, probably at least a decade if not more. as a result, i have given this game more chances than any other game i have ever played, and every step of the way, every time i think i'm enjoying myself, this game bugs the gently caress out in some new major way that is at best extremely irritating and at worst game-breaking. i wish that unkown worlds had just come up with the ideas for this game and then handed off the developing bit to a studio that was even remotely competent because this is, hands down, the buggiest loving game i have ever played.

considering my favorite game ever is morrowind, i tend to think that i have a ridiculously high tolerance for bugginess in games i otherwise really love, but this poo poo is just too much. i'm not even angry about it, i'm just loving sad because if this game was, say, just half a hosed up as it is, i'd be able to overlook things when they do gently caress up, but it's just all. the. loving. time. i don't know how many people have had a similar experience with this game or if i'm just unbelievably unlucky or what the gently caress, but goddamn. this would probably be one of my favorite games of all time, one i replayed over and over again, if it wasn't so busted. as it is, when i finish this one playthrough, i'm probably never playing it again. oh well :smith:

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

i don't know what the gently caress happened here, i had saved and quit last night, only to load up today and find...whatever the gently caress was happening here on my cyclops' bridge. i exited without saving, reloaded, still there. drove around, still there. found out that i could 'move' it by building things on top with the habitat builder, only for it to 'move' onto the driver controls, rendering the cyclops undrivable. reloaded, kept loving around, eventually gave up because i could not get rid of it. guess i have a giant invisible barrier loving up the bridge of my cyclops for the rest of the game now, how fuckin neat.

you know i don't think i've wanted to love a game more than this one in many many years, probably at least a decade if not more. as a result, i have given this game more chances than any other game i have ever played, and every step of the way, every time i think i'm enjoying myself, this game bugs the gently caress out in some new major way that is at best extremely irritating and at worst game-breaking. i wish that unkown worlds had just come up with the ideas for this game and then handed off the developing bit to a studio that was even remotely competent because this is, hands down, the buggiest loving game i have ever played.

considering my favorite game ever is morrowind, i tend to think that i have a ridiculously high tolerance for bugginess in games i otherwise really love, but this poo poo is just too much. i'm not even angry about it, i'm just loving sad because if this game was, say, just half a hosed up as it is, i'd be able to overlook things when they do gently caress up, but it's just all. the. loving. time. i don't know how many people have had a similar experience with this game or if i'm just unbelievably unlucky or what the gently caress, but goddamn. this would probably be one of my favorite games of all time, one i replayed over and over again, if it wasn't so busted. as it is, when i finish this one playthrough, i'm probably never playing it again. oh well :smith:

Man this sucks and is baffling. I know this is a useless response but I’ve played about a hundred hours without any serious bugs, just pop in and physics and falling through the ground once or twice

Have you tried scuttling your cyclops and repairing it once it’s sunk?

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

Wow...there was one time where a wall didn't load in when I was in the Lost River and I ended up in noclip-zone outside of the map, but that's the worst that ever happened to me. Did you try sending a bug report?
:smith:

Buy a lottery ticket? Your experience is so unique (to the ~released~ game) that you might just win the powerball tonight. :unsmith:

dogstile posted:

I've been playing this pretty obsessively. Big on spoilers here.

You have to find an egg and hatch it in the alien grow chamber: they don't spawn naturally! :eng101:
tl;dr - grab random eggs and hatch them until you find one!

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

TBH I'd say the best solution is the same as it often is with Bethesda games. Open up the console and "cheat" to unfuck it. Set everything to free, delete it, rebuild it, and set the economy back to normal. Save, exit, and reload to get achievements back. It's a single player game and all you're doing is fixing the results of a bug, not actually gaining an advantage against the intended challenges, so it's not really cheating.

Avasculous
Aug 30, 2008

timn posted:

This game is a big favorite of mine and I want to try it in VR now that I have a headset. However when I launch it I'm presented with the start screen with no discernible way to interact with the menus. Neither KB+M nor my 360 controller seem to do anything, though I do have a seemingly non-functional mouse cursor where the game displays on the my monitor. I also know the game isn't supposed to support motion controllers, though sometimes I get a button on the menu to randomly highlight when fiddling with them.

I've also tried launching the game without either of the motion controllers turned on in case the game is detecting them as controllers and locking out other inputs. However the game starts with the head position in the totally wrong place where I can't even see the menus, and it seems like I need the motion controller to access the steamVR menu to manually reset it.

Google hasn't been much help here. Has anyone else messed around with this game in VR? Launching the game in normal mode has no issues with KB+M input.

This was 6 months ago, but I was able to play the game with a Vive headset and controllers. I don't think I tried KB+M.

As the other poster said, the menus are extremely janky and it's hard to do basic things. It's also the only VR app I've used that made me nauseous (violently, in 10 minutes), I think because both head movements and the controllers change your view- probably a way to disable one or the other. I gave up and played it on the monitor like a peasant.

I'm also not really sure I want to make getting savaged by a Reaper a more immersive experience.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

i was real pissed at losing a 17 hour or so ish hardcore save to clipping in to a wall so i put the game down for like 3 months but i went back to it and did it again, not on hardcore, from the beginning, and had fun

Wrr
Aug 8, 2010

I named my Seamoth 'See? Moth!' cause I'm a big dweeb. Cyclops is 'Deep Blue' and eventually I actually painted it blue. Prawn was 'Metal Gear' for a bit but I think I'll change it.

Honorable Mention to Vinny Caravella's 'Ryan Seaquest' Cyclops.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

boar guy posted:

i was real pissed at losing a 17 hour or so ish hardcore save to clipping in to a wall so i put the game down for like 3 months but i went back to it and did it again, not on hardcore, from the beginning, and had fun

This is what I did too, for much the same reason (Cyclops got stuck falling forever in the middle of a caldera thing), and I was happy for it after just putting it down, walking away, and coming back after a few weeks

Game's not going anywhere

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
I'm interested in this game but I'm sort of claustrophobic and can't swim. I'm going to wind up curled up into a ball under my desk, aren't I? :ohdear:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Probably. It's worth it, though.

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

i have a great respect for the ocean and a healthy fear of all the poo poo inside it, and theres definitely a bit of tension but its super loving cool for that reason. like if youre afraid of heights, why not try a game where you go mountaineering or skydiving or whatever? it seems like a great opportunity

(i called my cyclops Moby Thick)

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

wolrah posted:

TBH I'd say the best solution is the same as it often is with Bethesda games. Open up the console and "cheat" to unfuck it. Set everything to free, delete it, rebuild it, and set the economy back to normal. Save, exit, and reload to get achievements back. It's a single player game and all you're doing is fixing the results of a bug, not actually gaining an advantage against the intended challenges, so it's not really cheating.

Who cares if you cheat in a single player game? There's only one person who potentially loses out on anything for that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

beyonder
Jun 23, 2007
Beyond hardcore.

Wrr posted:

I named my Seamoth 'See? Moth!' cause I'm a big dweeb. Cyclops is 'Deep Blue' and eventually I actually painted it blue. Prawn was 'Metal Gear' for a bit but I think I'll change it.

Honorable Mention to Vinny Caravella's 'Ryan Seaquest' Cyclops.

My Seamoth is called Fishter and Cyclops is Seausage.