Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

poverty goat

i bought it at walmart

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

that's an impressive looking Smithfield, dang

poverty goat

Making these pies

poverty goat fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Dec 24, 2018

poverty goat

it's the serious eats double crust buttermilk pie but I substituted the teaspoon of nutmeg for 1.5 cups of melted dark chocolate

alnilam

About to throw some sour boiz in the oven

Considering whether i should take the backstrap out of the brine now and rub it w salt and herbs, or wait to rub it until cook time. I should rub it now and put it back in the fridge shouldn't i

alnilam

I'm gonna rub it here i go rubbin

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

alnilam posted:

I'm gonna rub it here i go rubbin

Oooooooo-wee, that's some rubbin

twoday

C-SPAM Times best-selling author
Oh hey woah I have to read this whole thread

DISCLAIMER: THIS POST DOES NOT PROVIDE MEDICAL ADVICE
The information, including but not limited to, text, graphics, images and other material contained within this post are for informational purposes only. No material in this post is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health care provider with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition or treatment and before undertaking a new health care regimen, and never disregard professional medical advice or delay in seeking it because of something you have read in this post or the replies to this post.

Bo-Pepper

Want some rye?
Course ya do!

twoday posted:

Oh hey woah I have to read this whole thread

It's a good thread.

poverty goat

here's the after shot of my country ham

Traditionally these get soaked, then baked/boiled to an internal temp of 160, and I cannot find an explanation or trip report anywhere as to why you can't just slice and eat it raw like a spanish cured ham (I think it might just be the FDA ruining everything, but can't be sure). For science, I just cooked it sous-vide in a 160 degree bath until the center just came to temp without overcooking the outside, and the result was loving awesome, juicy, pink and tender like a normal ham but with all the flavor of a country ham (not tooo salty either since I gave it a long soak). I'd considered going lower and slower but I think that could have been a mistake, since the texture is quite agreeably tender as is. My virginia redneck family all agreed it's the next level.

Also,

The chocolate buttermilk pie was rich and amazing, and 100% irish butter makes for a next level pie crust

poverty goat fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Dec 26, 2018

Slush Garbo

FALSE SLACK
is
BETTER
than
NO SLACK
ham looks good. I want a sous vide, super useful.

the shiny crust on the pie made my mouth water. nice pics!

Robot Made of Meat

poverty goat posted:

here's the after shot of my country ham

Traditionally these get soaked, then baked/boiled to an internal temp of 160, and I cannot find an explanation or trip report anywhere as to why you can't just slice and eat it raw like a spanish cured ham (I think it might just be the FDA ruining everything, but can't be sure). For science, I just cooked it sous-vide in a 160 degree bath until the center just came to temp without overcooking the outside, and the result was loving awesome, juicy, pink and tender like a normal ham but with all the flavor of a country ham (not tooo salty either since I gave it a long soak). I'd considered going lower and slower but I think that could have been a mistake, since the texture is quite agreeably tender as is. My virginia redneck family all agreed it's the next level.

Also,

The chocolate buttermilk pie was rich and amazing, and 100% irish butter makes for a next level pie crust

I would eat the H*CK out of that drat ham!

Thanks to Manifisto for the sig!

Olive!

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...
first loaf of the new year, fingers crossed :pray:

alnilam

lookin good

I just took out and fed le starter, going to make some dough tonight :toot:

poverty goat

Gonna cook and eat these

Luvcow

One day nearer spring

poverty goat posted:

Gonna cook and eat these

i love that your little dog somehow makes into all the pictures

also i grew up with the same dishes/china pattern and that meat looks really good

alnilam

Luvcow posted:

i love that your little dog somehow makes into all the pictures

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

We're making another 40 cloves loaf today boys, oooooo-wee.

poverty goat

I done cooked the steaks

Manifisto

poverty goat posted:

I done cooked the steaks

okay now the dog is looking downright plaintive

why do you torture me so

ty nesamdoom!

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

poverty goat posted:

I done cooked the steaks

Those are some drat fine steaks

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

I have prepared a challenge in the Burger Buds thread.

joke_explainer

poverty goat posted:

I done cooked the steaks

you ain't going to show us a slice my friend?

joke_explainer

they look perfect

poverty goat

joke_explainer posted:

you ain't going to show us a slice my friend?

sadly the gremlin in my phone's camera made those pics all come out blurry. but it was sous-vizzled medium-medium rare and grilled 3 min so it looked exactly as it should have

joke_explainer

poverty goat posted:

sadly the gremlin in my phone's camera made those pics all come out blurry. but it was sous-vizzled medium-medium rare and grilled 3 min so it looked exactly as it should have

Ahhh nice I’m imagining it it looks perfect

POOL IS CLOSED

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
ah poverty goat as far as I know it’s fair game to just slice and eat traditional country ham. lately I’ve seen some city hams labeling themselves as country ham though so buyer beware I guess? coincidentally I’ve been considering buying a green ham from a farmer here to make my own, but time’s kinda running down to make that happen so i dunno! I miss country ham tho

I been cooking a lot lately. please forgive the dark photos, my house is a cave

whole wheat and rye sourdough with me own mixed toppings: sesame seed, charnushka, poppyseed, toasted garlic bits, fennel seed, caraway seed, and I probably forgot something else on there too. it didn’t get the oven lift I expected but the flavor and texture are niiiiiiice. right now the starter desperately needs to be fed

pork confit that started its journey as a pork butt brined for 48 hours with lots of fennel seed, coriander seed, juniper berries, allspice berries, cloves, pepper, onion, garlic, bay, and lavender. this one was tightly wrapped in layers of parchment paper and heavy duty foil because I don’t keep enough fat around to submerge a big pork in it. then I cooked it in a slow oven for 4 hours and chilled it overnight. the confit is a joy to stick in my mouth.

i also made scallops doria, which is way easier than it has any right to be

brought 2 u by Manifisto, mastercraftsposter of sigs

Luvcow

One day nearer spring

POOL IS CLOSED posted:

ah poverty goat as far as I know it’s fair game to just slice and eat traditional country ham. lately I’ve seen some city hams labeling themselves as country ham though so buyer beware I guess? coincidentally I’ve been considering buying a green ham from a farmer here to make my own, but time’s kinda running down to make that happen so i dunno! I miss country ham tho

whole wheat and rye sourdough with me own mixed toppings: sesame seed, charnushka, poppyseed, toasted garlic bits, fennel seed, caraway seed, and I probably forgot something else on there too. it didn’t get the oven lift I expected but the flavor and texture are niiiiiiice. right now the starter desperately needs to be fed

pork confit that started its journey as a pork butt brined for 48 hours with lots of fennel seed, coriander seed, juniper berries, allspice berries, cloves, pepper, onion, garlic, bay, and lavender. this one was tightly wrapped in layers of parchment paper and heavy duty foil because I don’t keep enough fat around to submerge a big pork in it. then I cooked it in a slow oven for 4 hours and chilled it overnight. the confit is a joy to stick in my mouth.

would eat

Subjunctive

✨sparkle and shine✨

I’m ready for the pork now, please.

super sweet best pal

Grilled some leftover Safeway chicken and mozzarella in a sandwich with spicy bbq sauce and German mustard. No photo because it's just a basic sandwich; you've seen one, you've seen them all.

poverty goat

when i envision a basic sandwich what i see is a hotdog on a bun

Robot Made of Meat

Basic chicken and cheese sandwich.

Thanks to Manifisto for the sig!

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

POOL IS CLOSED posted:

Your food is beautiful and I want to eat it

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

I'm cooking a pot of secret beans. The secret is the beans are cooked in things that make chili taste good and the whole thing is slow simmered into a thick sauce that I will then add to cubed and potato starched, browned, braised deer roast for Secret Chili.

POOL IS CLOSED

hamjobs posted:

Your food is beautiful and I want to eat it

:shobon: thank you

i would like to eat the secret beanz

POOL IS CLOSED

The Korean food megathread is dead. :rip: have a makgeolli post

I’ve been fully immersed in the world of farting microbes for a while and I decided to get back in the makgeolli horse. But I’m bored with Maangchi’s method; it’s a nice hooch, but there’s a huge world out there. This isn’t a complicated recipe, and I’m hoping someone might also try it out so we can talk about our results. Or maybe some of you are old hands at this and have tips and recipes to share!

Today I started this: http://makgeollilab.com/how-to-make-makgeolli-2/

Unlike Maangchi’s makgeolli, you hydrate the nuruk, filter it, and then add it to (actually) steamed but not semidried rice. You also don’t add any extra yeast. There are only 3 ingredients if you count water. This particular recipe uses sweet or glutinous rice. There’s very little extra water added and no backsweetening. This brew only has one addition of grain and is called a “takju,” but there are other recipes with multiple additions of rice and other ingredients.

What I did:

1 kg glutinous rice
600 mL water
200 g nuruk
a sieve, a steamer, a tea towel, and something large enough to contain the semisolid mass of rice and nuruk juice.

Combine the nuruk and water and set aside for 4 hours.

Meanwhile, wash the rice until the water runs clear, and soak for 3 hours. Let drain in a sieve for the last hour.

At 4 hours ish, strain the solids from the nuruk liquid.

Set up a pot with boiling water and line your steamer with a damp towel. I didn’t dampen mine first and the rice really stuck to it. I don’t recommend using cheesecloth here.

Steam for 40 minutes starting with once you see steam rising out of the steamer. Cool the rice quickly so it’s under 110 F throughout; it’s not a bad idea to use a fan if you can’t just crank a window to enjoy an arctic blast. You kinda want to aim for 86 F ish here to keep everything hopping along.

Combine the rice and nuruk in your fermentation vessel and mix thoroughly so all the rice is coated in nuruk and there aren’t huge clumps. Cover and try to keep at about 86 - 95 F for 7 - 10 days. (This is a lot hotter than I’ve previously brewed at.)

I’ll report back when it’s done. Another thing I’d like to try is making my own nuruk, so maybe I’ll get to post on that in the near future.

Manifisto

awesome! maybe have a little pity on us korean hooch n00bs and explain a little bit about what makgeolli tastes like, what it goes with, etc? how does it compare to sake, for example?

ty nesamdoom!

POOL IS CLOSED

Ah, my bad! Makgeolli is comparable to unfiltered sake. It’s basically like a historic small beer for farmers based off of an alcoholic, malted porridge, so it filled a role of a nutritious and safe drink for peasants doing backbreaking work, while even more alcoholic variants were produced for your typical drunk entertainment. I drink it with whatever; it’s not a super strong tasting liquor, so it’s probably fine to have it with whatever you might match with a sweeter sake. there’s also a bread traditional made from and eaten with makgeolli, sool ddeok, but I haven’t tried it yet.

In modern times it fell out of fashion in South Korea for a while because of the growing popularity of Western booze and because makgeolli had that patina of “food for old people,” but its star is rising again. Hell, there are rap lyrics about it (in Korean).

My limited experiences with makgeolli are that they’re all on the sweeter side and you drink them cool or chilled. The cheaper stuff tends to be weaker; what you make at home can pretty easily end up stronger than mass market convenience store brands.

There are various strengths and preparations of makgeolli, including brews with long secondary fermentation periods with up to a dozen or so additions of steamed rice (and not just polished rice either) plus add ins like cinnamon, jujubes, goji berries, lotus leaves, and more. These more complicated versions also seem to get aged, though I don’t know much about the process of aging makgeolli. plus there’s also cheongju, which is the clear wine drawn off the mash by pushing in a special filter and ladling the liquid that passes into the filter from the lees.

POOL IS CLOSED fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Jan 14, 2019

Manifisto

POOL IS CLOSED posted:

Ah, my bad! Makgeolli is comparable to unfiltered sake. It’s basically like a historic small beer for farmers based off of an alcoholic, malted porridge, so it filled a role of a nutritious and safe drink for peasants doing backbreaking work, while even more alcoholic variants were produced for your typical drunk entertainment. I drink it with whatever; it’s not a super strong tasting liquor, so it’s probably fine to have it with whatever you might match with a sweeter sake. there’s also a bread traditional made from and eaten with makgeolli, sool ddeok, but I haven’t tried it yet.

In modern times it fell out of fashion in South Korea for a while because of the growing popularity of Western booze and because makgeolli had that patina of “food for old people,” but its star is rising again. Hell, there are rap lyrics about it (in Korean).

My limited experiences with makgeolli are that they’re all on the sweeter side and you drink them cool or chilled. The cheaper stuff tends to be weaker; what you make at home can pretty easily end up stronger than mass market convenience store brands.

There are various strengths and preparations of makgeolli, including brews with long secondary fermentation periods with up to a dozen or so additions of steamed rice (and not just polished rice either) plus add ins like cinnamon, jujubes, goji berries, lotus leaves, and more. These more complicated versions also seem to get aged, though I don’t know much about the process of aging makgeolli. plus there’s also cheongju, which is the clear wine drawn off the mash by pushing in a special filter and ladling the liquid that passes into the filter from the lees.

cool cool. I've had a few unfiltered sakes and liked them. I'll be real interested to hear how your experiment turns out!

ty nesamdoom!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

I'm trying this method! I've never made makgeolli witgout adding extra yeast so I'm excited. I'll report back after grocery reconnaissance tomorrow. I'll also probably make my burg Korean themed so I'll likely cross post while enjoying special makgeolli adjacent bar bun burgers.