Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is your resolution for the new year?
This poll is closed.
To play more games 54 12.68%
To play more games 52 12.21%
To play less games...sorry, I meant more games 70 16.43%
To play games more 79 18.54%
Something else (in addition to playing more games) 66 15.49%
To make more/less Bowsette references 105 24.65%
Total: 219 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

So out of curiosity, aside from Toadette apparently being playable and an item that turns you into Peach is there going to be anything else significantly different about the Switch port of SMBU or is it more or less the same as the Wii U version? Also do we have specific release dates for Yoshi's Crafted World and/or the 3DS remake of Kirby's Epic Yarn yet?

Aside from that I'm looking forward to Kingdom Hearts 3 and Episode 2 of Life is Strange 2. Also speaking of LiS, for those that are following it we're apparently getting a double dose of the comic this month. Issue #2 drops tomorrow and #3 is currently slated for the 30th.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Jan 1, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Nasgate posted:

Idk what you read, but teenage Tumblr fantasy fanfic being a step up from the previous game makes me terrified.

:rolleyes:

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Jay Rust posted:

What was good about Suikoden 2’s stronghold? I only remember the guy who builds you an elevator, and the fishing

Everyone you bring in improves your castle in some way. They decorate their rooms, clutter up your storage closets, they have unique sprites for hanging out in the pub... there isn't a lot of interaction between the characters, because that takes a tremendous amount of time and coding in logic clauses to make, but your castle was this living, evolving entity.

The castle in Pillars of Eternity is just this... binary thing, hedge_maze == t/f, barracks_built == t/f, shop_open == t/f you don't even hire a fuckin shopkeeper they just appear. In Suikoden 2, your armory might get built due to your population being high, but it'll just be an empty building until you recruit your merchants. It won't even have armor racks or items on display, it's just this building collecting dust on your main street. It's great!

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

I hope the PoE2 turn-based mode turns out to be something they actually make because that could be really good

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Jay Rust posted:

What was good about Suikoden 2’s stronghold? I only remember the guy who builds you an elevator, and the fishing

It's the sum of its parts. The stronghold changed as you grow your party and you go back to it frequently so it feels like home. In the rare game with a home base you're an absentee ruler but like imagine how disinterested people would be in Mass Effect if you didn't return to the Normandy after every mission. Bioware learned that lesson with BG2 where the stronghold is just a cash deposit and Obsidian dropped the ball in Pillars with player created generics and text screen reports.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

If you enjoyed pillars i might suggest trying divinity os again but this time reading a terrible fantasy novel between all the combat to make it hew closer to your bad taste

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

lol the latest humble bundle is stardock games

i guess they need money for legal fees to keep their star control charade afloat

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
To be honest of the little I played of Pillars, the thing that most definitely bothered me the most was that bit in the prologue where no matter what happens, both of your party members will get killed so I ended up saving and reloading a bunch in that part for nothing :(

DOUBLE CLICK HERE
Feb 5, 2005
WA3
Whose fault is that

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
I have that problem with so many games. Recently I was playing Dishonored 1 and after years of bouncing off the game I realised it was way more fun to just roll with the fuckups and go crazy with all your special powers. In my defence I was a big Thief 2 fan and getting spotted in that game was practically a death sentence.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Internet Kraken posted:

I've gotten nothing done the past week because I've been sick pretty much the entire time.

No more.

I'm done being sick. Today I do work no matter how lovely I feel about it!

i got to work today only to learn the internet was out, which meant I couldn't do anything. it's up now but that totally killed my desire to be productive today

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Nasgate posted:

Idk what you read, but teenage Tumblr fantasy fanfic being a step up from the previous game makes me terrified.

tumblr??

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Celeste is free on Xbox One this month, wasn't that suppose to be one of the best games of 2018?

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

I said come in! posted:

Celeste is free on Xbox One this month, wasn't that suppose to be one of the best games of 2018?

I'm having trouble thinking of much competition for it as platformers of... gently caress, any sort go

Going back as far as the Super Meat Boys and the classic Marios, even, not just 2018. Celeste just fuckin whumps em

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

I said come in! posted:

Celeste is an incredibly good platformer whose core themes are evident in every aspect of its design, yeah

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway

Andrast posted:

Everything in OS2 is much better than in OS1, especially the writing. I thought OS1 just kind of mediocre but OS2 is amazing.

What are os games?

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I'm gonna be contrary and say that celeste is only okay. Didn't grab me enough to bother finishing it.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

I said come in! posted:

Its very good and content rich

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Hemingway To Go! posted:

What are os games?

Divinity Original Sin, turn-based CRPGs with old-school difficulty and animal existentialism.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

The focus is on emergent strategy/hazards from the environment and skill synergies and the tone is very goofy in a good way

Ciaphas posted:

I'm having trouble thinking of much competition for it as platformers of... gently caress, any sort go

Going back as far as the Super Meat Boys and the classic Marios, even, not just 2018. Celeste just fuckin whumps em

I like rayman legends more personally but celeste is cool

Real hurthling! fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Jan 1, 2019

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Time to buy my yearly Winter Steam Sale game that is on my Wishlist and < $10, help me out goons-

Axiom Verge
Baldur's Gate II EE (feel like I should play BG1 first but everyone said not to bother last time I posited that question)
Donut County
Fallout NV + DLC
Heat Signature
Mages of Mystralia
Salt & Sanctuary
Talos Principle
Vagante
Lords of Xulima
Low Magic Age

Yes I know that list is all over the place, but goons recommended Hollow Knight when I posed this same question last year and it ended up being my favorite game I played in 2018 so I trust y'all

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Talos Principle

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Fallout NV is the only game on that list I particularly like that I've played

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Of the games on that list I think FONV is the most can't-lose proposition.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

the one thing i miss from etrian in Persona Q is the skill trees, but if i were to compare Q to Etrian Untold.. Q kicks untold's rear end in presentation and personality. i mean yeah you can play untold without the pre-built party, but I'm just comparing the two on that level

what game is Marie from though, i dont remember her but i only played P3: FES and plain P4, not golden or P3PSP

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

The 7th Guest posted:

the one thing i miss from etrian in Persona Q is the skill trees, but if i were to compare Q to Etrian Untold.. Q kicks untold's rear end in presentation and personality. i mean yeah you can play untold without the pre-built party, but I'm just comparing the two on that level

what game is Marie from though, i dont remember her but i only played P3: FES and plain P4, not golden or P3PSP

She was added in Golden.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

C-Euro posted:

Time to buy my yearly Winter Steam Sale game that is on my Wishlist and < $10, help me out goons-

Axiom Verge
Baldur's Gate II EE (feel like I should play BG1 first but everyone said not to bother last time I posited that question)
Donut County
Fallout NV + DLC
Heat Signature
Mages of Mystralia
Salt & Sanctuary
Talos Principle
Vagante
Lords of Xulima
Low Magic Age

Yes I know that list is all over the place, but goons recommended Hollow Knight when I posed this same question last year and it ended up being my favorite game I played in 2018 so I trust y'all

Personally I liked BG1 but it's not spectacular compared to the sequel. If it's a decent price is suggest giving it a shot in story mode just because you can carry you character into the sequel and also the plot develops in a pretty cool way imo. The sequel does have a quick recap in the intro but it ends up sounding a bit absurd.

DOUBLE CLICK HERE
Feb 5, 2005
WA3
Fallout and Donut County are easily the cream of the crop. FNV obviously way meatier. Talos Principle, Heat Signature are good, too.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

i'm too lazy to pricecheck but I wouldn't be surprised if Donut County was cheaper on iOS

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Donut county was good but was also like 2 hours long so factor that into your decision

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
donut county took me 90 minutes

don't get me wrong, nice to occasionally have a game i can finish in a lazy afternoon, but there it is

DOUBLE CLICK HERE
Feb 5, 2005
WA3
That makes it even better because you'll definitely finish it, probably.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

It's an old website, notable for managing to be more dead than this forum.

exquisite tea posted:

Divinity Original Sin, turn-based CRPGs with old-school difficulty and animal existentialism.

Mind-numbingly easy isn't normally associated with "old-school difficulty"

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Convex posted:

Personally I liked BG1 but it's not spectacular compared to the sequel. If it's a decent price is suggest giving it a shot in story mode just because you can carry you character into the sequel and also the plot develops in a pretty cool way imo. The sequel does have a quick recap in the intro but it ends up sounding a bit absurd.

BG1 is the same price as BG2 right now ($9.99). I played a few hours of the original version of BG2 when it first came out on GOG and had fun, but fell off of it before completing Chapter 2. I could always go back and do BG1 if I like 2 but I feel like it will be difficult to stomach low-level D&D unless I wait a long time after finishing 2.

Talos Principle gets recommended a lot but I have playthroughs of The Witness and Obduction that I need to get back to. How different is it from those, and is any of the DLC good (the Gold Edition that includes all of that is also < $10 right now)?

Fallout NV also gets recommended a lot but I have a playthrough of Oblivion that I stubbornly want to finish someday so it feels wrong to have another Bethesda game in the queue right now.

How is Mages of Mystralia? I have no idea why I put it on that list but it sure looks pretty, and the spell creation mechanic looks cool as someone who wanted to play Magicka but never actually got around to it.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

C-Euro posted:

How is Mages of Mystralia? I have no idea why I put it on that list but it sure looks pretty, and the spell creation mechanic looks cool as someone who wanted to play Magicka but never actually got around to it.

The rune system is really neat but there's just not a whole lot of game there, apart from that.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Rami Ismail has a new thing!
https://twitter.com/tha_rami/status/1079890123616075776

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I tried mages of mystralia and got bored to tears waiting for the main mechanic of the game to even open up

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Very Serious Game Questions:

i have an Xbox One and a Switch but I feel the inexorable presence of the feeling that I'm going to purchase a Playstation 4 soon. There are enough games that I want to play that I can't anywhere else (GoW, Spider-Man, Tetris Effect) that i'll probably own one by the end of 2019 but i want to know these things:

1: should I get a PS4 Pro? I don't have a 4k TV and probably won't any time soon (i like my plasma thank you very much) but I'm sure some of the hardware upgrades are noticeable on a regular HDTV, right? I'll likely be playing the big single player adventures and the few indies that aren't available on Switch and those games tend to look better than multiplayer-focussed games so I feel like it might be worth it, but i also don't know how much more expensive it's really going to be.

2: On a similar line, is PSVR worth it? Tetris Effect is the first killer app I've seen that makes me say "yes i would like to play this" but i also heard about that robot game which sounds decidedly up my alley.

3: if I do, what games should I be on the lookout for? Assume that any multi-platform games I would want to play I've taken care of on my XBone (sup Prey and AssCreed Odyssey), so literally just PS4 Exclusives. The games I mentioned above, as well as Shadow of the Colossus and the Ratchet and Clank remake are my top priorities but I have been totally out of the loop on Sony aside from watching E3 presentations every year.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
Got rid of my PS4 but to be honest, it's probably not worth the extra money for a Pro if you don't have a 4K set. You get better draw distances, shadow resolution etc in a few games but it's not noticeable unless you put two screenshots / streams side by side. I think main exceptions are Shadow of the Colossus which runs at 60fps vs 30 on the base model, and The Last Guardian which is a stable 30fps vs kinda shaky.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Man you shoulda gotten them during the holidays! PS4 slim was $200 and PSVR was $200-250

They’ll be on sale for that much again but it might be several months.

I am 100% sold on PSVR. I love Astro Bot, I love Tetris, I love Beat Saber.

Maybe get the PS4 when it goes on sale in spring or summer for $200 and play all the exclusives, and then when fall or winter comes around get the PSVR

Your PS4 exclusives hot list:
Horizon Zero Dawn
God of War
Spider-man
Yakuza 0
maaaaybe Bloodborne if you’re into difficulty
Uncharted 4
Last of Us remastered
Uncharted Lost Legacy
Tetris Effect

PSVR hot list:
Rez