Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

Hey Runners! I made a thing for Tabletop Simulator. Play the Terminal Directive campaign (Or just plain ol Netrunner, I guess) online! https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1592279436

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

im reading through neuromancer for the first time now and maaan im jonesing for some netrunner

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

on that note: i've been using bigboy's premade teaching decks for casual play, and i notice he made a jinteki one a while back

quote:

Agenda Agenda (10)
3x Braintrust
2x Fetal AI
2x Global Food Initiative 🦄 ●●
2x House of Knives
1x Philotic Entanglement
Asset Asset (6)
3x Jackson Howard ●●●
3x Snare!
Upgrade Upgrade (4)
2x Ben Musashi
2x Hokusai Grid
Operation Operation (14)
1x Biotic Labor ●●●●
3x Celebrity Gift
3x Hedge Fund
3x IPO
2x Neural EMP
2x Sweeps Week ●●●●
Barrier Barrier (5)
2x Eli 1.0 ●●
3x Kakugo
Code Gate Code Gate (4)
2x DNA Tracker
2x Enigma
Sentry Sentry (6)
3x Komainu
3x Pup

problem is, i don't have stuff past the first two packs of escalation. that here means ben musashi, IPO (probably restructure), kakugo, or dna tracker. any suggestions on fixing them, or just use proxies?
e: it also seemed like it was a bit too strong compared to the other decks so a tone down wouldn't be amiss

StashAugustine fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Dec 19, 2018

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
There is a massdrop for flashpoint and red mars cycle.

Also just proxy that poo poo. No point not proxing now.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Alt IDs a guy posted on BGG for a tournament he ran:

https://m.imgur.com/gallery/v1fFSc5

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Midjack posted:

Alt IDs a guy posted on BGG for a tournament he ran:

https://m.imgur.com/gallery/v1fFSc5

That MaXx card is really bad but the rest are cool as hell

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
Those are definitely something, I think.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
Just what Netrunner needed, more stock art and titties.

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...
Maxx appears to be Maximum Stripper more than Maximum Punk Rock. Also not sure when Andromeda became some kind of cyber-vampire or whatever it is she's doing.

The second Chronos Protocol one is kinda good though lots of the Corp ones break the FFG scheme of having non-personal pictures of buildings and the like for Corps.

Zephro fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Jan 1, 2019

Thirsty Dog
May 31, 2007

He just grabbed random artwork from the internet (and some existing Netrunner stuff) and made IDs with it, with bonus sexualisation. It's a pile of poo poo.

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
I like the Builder of Nations one and that's about it.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Looks like he pulled the post down already.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
Last year when FFG did a reprint of Reign & Reverie, I ordered a copy just in case my main copy wouldn't come through. I've had it sitting around for a while, so I threw it up on ebay for the hell of it.

Holy gently caress.

I should have snagged more of those copies to resell like the slime that I would be if I had thought to do so. Nerds with money apparently don't like being without their out of print card games now!

werdnam
Feb 16, 2011
The scientist does not study nature because it is useful to do so. He studies it because he takes pleasure in it, and he takes pleasure in it because it is beautiful. If nature were not beautiful it would not be worth knowing, and life would not be worth living. -- Henri Poincare

jeeves posted:

Last year when FFG did a reprint of Reign & Reverie, I ordered a copy just in case my main copy wouldn't come through. I've had it sitting around for a while, so I threw it up on ebay for the hell of it.

Holy gently caress.

I should have snagged more of those copies to resell like the slime that I would be if I had thought to do so. Nerds with money apparently don't like being without their out of print card games now!

How much did it go for?

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

werdnam posted:

How much did it go for?

ebay completed auctions look like they're mostly going for around $150, though I see the lowest was 70 and highest was 250. I actually had three copies come through my hands last year - one for me, one was sold a gift for my local Netrunning friend at cost, and the third went to a goon in this here thread at cost. :)

Rhaegar
Jul 16, 2006

jeeves posted:

Holy gently caress.

I was watching one over the weekend that went to 213 or so. Was that you?

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
I will neither confirm nor deny but I'm kinda glad that I don't have any more so that I don't resell more like the scum that it would easily turn me into!

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.
NISEI will start revealing their cards soon, culminating in their first expac's launch in March

http://nisei.net/article/HYPER01

......maybe it will be good???

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
I can't speak to their card mechanics, but I absolutely hate their card UI design. Also they thankfully lowered standards/expectations with that initial terrible, terrible card art for their Winter 2019 kit. The new art seems far better.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Minrad posted:

NISEI will start revealing their cards soon, culminating in their first expac's launch in March

http://nisei.net/article/HYPER01

......maybe it will be good???

They really need to take the keyboard away from whoever does these press releases.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

It's so bizarre to me that they MWL'd Dorm Computer, a card nobody even remembers, because they think it will be the dominant card going forward, according to them and their knowledge of the new cards they're creating.

But - doesn't that make Jesminder just absolutely game-breaking then? Like, it's a Dorm computer that doesn't take a click to install and works on every single run.

I know this is being slightly disingenuous, since Jez requires you giving up playing as another runner - but it seems like unless they're releasing cards that tag the runner multiple times on a single piece of ICE (which would be bonkers), it's madness to restrict a single card that does something in a limited fashion, and not the ID that does it nonstop.

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

I mean, it's not like they are paying anyone... you get what you pay for?

blindidiotgod
Jan 9, 2005

Easy Diff posted:

It's so bizarre to me that they MWL'd Dorm Computer, a card nobody even remembers, because they think it will be the dominant card going forward, according to them and their knowledge of the new cards they're creating.

But - doesn't that make Jesminder just absolutely game-breaking then? Like, it's a Dorm computer that doesn't take a click to install and works on every single run.

I know this is being slightly disingenuous, since Jez requires you giving up playing as another runner - but it seems like unless they're releasing cards that tag the runner multiple times on a single piece of ICE (which would be bonkers), it's madness to restrict a single card that does something in a limited fashion, and not the ID that does it nonstop.

Dorm Computer neuters all the tagging ice as well as tagging punishment upgrades at the bottom the server. I feel like DC unnecessarily dunks on tag-punishment Weyland decks over something say other attrition-style tagging decks. And at zero cost, 1inf, and four uses, it's pretty much a must include for an easy tech card to invalidate an entire archetype.
Like, Feedback Filter is in this same boat too, but at least it's got a 3c tax per net damage. Four runs, especially later, is game winning.

Jesminder on the other hand, allows you to pressure those same corps in the early game, and is an econ bump for late game.

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
Also, Dorm IS already played in a bunch of top tier Runner builds precisely because it’s a 1 inf silver bullet that straight murders a huge swathe of otherwise interesting, non-binary mechanics. Tag ICE are cool and fun because they’re risk/reward, rather than being just ETR etc.

It’s a soft ban (because Aesops/Crowd/Estrike) mind you, but that’s the price you gotta pay.

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...
Yeah I dunno, FFG had a real hard-on for unfun silver bullets and I'm kinda happy that Nisei aren't going down the same path. They're the worst, least-interesting kind of game design. I'd be happy if they banned the likes of Estrike outright.

Defenistrator
Mar 27, 2007
Ask me about my burritos

Midjack posted:

They really need to take the keyboard away from whoever does these press releases.

What's wrong with the writing? It seems like normal promo talk.

neaden
Nov 4, 2012

A changer of ways
Speaking of Preview of the first 3 Nisei cards from Downfall.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
Neat, but a little inelegant. Nihilist is cool, but The Class Act took me a couple reads to parse what it meant, which isnt a great sign. Maybe that card is just more complicated than the others, but for whatever reason it always feels like fan cards (in any game) love using X values. The Artist is a nice simple card, but I wonder if it'll get into memory problems. People always seem to forget if they've even used all their clicks or not, let alone if they've used one or both abilities on a card.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Defenistrator posted:

What's wrong with the writing? It seems like normal promo talk.

A lot of exclamation points! And way too many question marks? It's an extremely juvenile style, very definitely from the same brain trust that gave us the caps lock intern gimmick that got booed off the internet. Maybe it's a bunch of high schoolers running NISEI, which would be regrettable but would explain some things.

Machai
Feb 21, 2013

CodfishCartographer posted:

Neat, but a little inelegant. Nihilist is cool, but The Class Act took me a couple reads to parse what it meant, which isnt a great sign. Maybe that card is just more complicated than the others, but for whatever reason it always feels like fan cards (in any game) love using X values. The Artist is a nice simple card, but I wonder if it'll get into memory problems. People always seem to forget if they've even used all their clicks or not, let alone if they've used one or both abilities on a card.

Its only four clips though.

I played with a guy that had numbered coins for his clicks and he would place them on the things he did throughout his turn. If he drew a card he would put one next to his stack. Made a run, put one in front of the server. Clicked mopus, put a coin on it.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Machai posted:

Its only four clips though.

I played with a guy that had numbered coins for his clicks and he would place them on the things he did throughout his turn. If he drew a card he would put one next to his stack. Made a run, put one in front of the server. Clicked mopus, put a coin on it.

I mean yes that is smart and four clicks seems like it'd be easy enough to remember, but boy I couldn't tell you how many times people I've played with have gone "wait, was that click 2 or 3?" It usually seems to occur on brain-busting turns with lots of number crunching, people seem to lose track of even simple stuff during those turns.

ZorajitZorajit
Sep 15, 2013

No static at all...
As it concerns the previewed Nisei cards, I'd expect them to be played overwhelmingly online which mitigates the question of complexity somewhat. But what concerns me is that the designers feel this level of complexity is appropriate. It points to a distilling mindset that, without a meaningful concern for players that are learning the game, are making content that caters only to the increasingly entrenched. I'm reserving judgment until more is seen. But I feel concerned that Nisei is going to be fanfiction of the game.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

ZorajitZorajit posted:

As it concerns the previewed Nisei cards, I'd expect them to be played overwhelmingly online which mitigates the question of complexity somewhat. But what concerns me is that the designers feel this level of complexity is appropriate. It points to a distilling mindset that, without a meaningful concern for players that are learning the game, are making content that caters only to the increasingly entrenched. I'm reserving judgment until more is seen. But I feel concerned that Nisei is going to be fanfiction of the game.

I hadn't really considered they'd primarily be played online only, but you're correct there. I am definitely concerned as well about the "standard" for complexity though, and it keeping new players out. It seems that the cards could have even been made simpler fairly easily, too. Did The Class Act NEED that first part about drawing 4 cards? Did it NEED to fiddle around with “X” values? why not have the card JUST say “The first time you draw cards each turn, draw 1 additional card, then place a card from your grip on the bottom of your stack.” this still makes it a more powerful draw engine that also doubles for thinning the bad cards out of your hand. Why not just limit The Artist to only being used once per turn, thus forcing the player to choose between the two effects? this isn’t s powerful, but could be balanced by the card costing less or something, and makes for more interesting gameplay that is also easier on the player’s brain.

They mention that they had difficulty designing the criminal and shaper cards, and it definitely shows as those are the weaker two. Also lmao at the comment “In retrospect these cards aren't particularly complex” - what the gently caress do the complex cards look like, then??

Their original design goals with these cards was to emulate Noise / Andy / Kate, but they honestly did kind of a sloppy job with that. The intention behind The Class Act was to emulate the feeling of getting a huge starting grip with Andy - so why not just make it a pseudo Diesel? Take a note from MtG and make the card text: “If you draw The Class Act in your opening hand, you may install it for free before the game begins. Draw up to your maximum hand size when The Class Act is installed. +4 Maximum hand size.” they mention that Nihilist and Artist both started as much simpler concepts, but gained complexity to match The Class Act. This makes me worry that they couldn’t have found a simpler way to implement Andy to match the simplicity of the other cards, or didn’t accept that it wasn’t possible to make the card simple enough and thus scrap it. They easily could have just made a simple Gabe resource and still met their original design goals without increasing complexity!

e: after writing this post I realized more spoilers were posted, time to see how widespread the complexity is: http://nisei.net/article/2019AScoop2

e2: Luckily the new cards are more simple. HB Asset that earns 2c per click once per turn, and earns you 2c when the runner trashes it. I like this card quite a bit actually, it forces the runner to make a tough decision and doesn’t seem super strong. Second card is a criminal hardware that you can remove from the game to prevent a corp card ability from ending the run, but can only use it if you’ve made a successful run on HQ. I’m not sure how exactly that works, like if it “breaks” an ETR sub or something? Does the sub fire but you just don’t ETR? I’m not sure, I suspect it’ll be one of those cards that kinda “just works”.

CodfishCartographer fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Feb 21, 2019

Defenistrator
Mar 27, 2007
Ask me about my burritos
I think class act is very hard to read, hopefully they rejig the wording for the card.

ZorajitZorajit
Sep 15, 2013

No static at all...
The HB Asset looks fine. The crim card I get squirrelly about because “ending a run” seems like it has a lot of edge cases where problems could arise. Also, credit where it’s due, the art looks great and I have no idea who is paying for this.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire

jeeves posted:

I can't speak to their card mechanics, but I absolutely hate their card UI design. Also they thankfully lowered standards/expectations with that initial terrible, terrible card art for their Winter 2019 kit. The new art seems far better.

Gonna go back on this. Apparently the cards before were the full-bleed card art that I hated the look of. The new normal cards look great!

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Count me in the "who cares about complexity" crowd. The game is dead, solely in the hands of superfans. I want Time Spiral block complxoty from here on out, nobody who cares enough to set up a jinteki account is going to be scared by the letter X on a card. Paper game isnt going to get more complex, so who cares

Destrado
Feb 9, 2001

I thought, What a nice little city, it suits me fine. It suited me fine so I started to change it.

Defenistrator posted:

I think class act is very hard to read, hopefully they rejig the wording for the card.

After you see it trigger once you're just going to think "oh so DBS, cool" so I'm not too fussed on the wording. Apparently this clears up some kind of edge case but it seems there's a lot of changing template pet peeves ('This hardware' instead of the name of the card on Lucky Charm) which takes some adjustment after years of reading FFGlish.

The text complexity on iconic, flashy cards that are relatively static doesn't bother me too much either, but hopefully that doesn't hold for the rest of the set.

Destrado fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Feb 21, 2019

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Easy Diff posted:

Count me in the "who cares about complexity" crowd. The game is dead, solely in the hands of superfans. I want Time Spiral block complxoty from here on out, nobody who cares enough to set up a jinteki account is going to be scared by the letter X on a card. Paper game isnt going to get more complex, so who cares

Fair, I will admit that the vast majority of the people who will play the cards are fine with complexity, and once you start playing them (with jinteki automating the fiddly bits) their functionality may be fairly easy to understand.

It still could be worrying because eventually it could start getting overwhelming as what's considered "normal" complexity gets more and more complicated. All players have a limit to what "too much" complexity is, and the higher that bar is set the more players will fade away as the game becomes a chore. Obviously this isn't a problem yet, and the new set of spoilers gives me more hope, but it's still a problem they need to keep their eyes on.

E: you could also maybe argue that the first set should be relatively similar in complexity to the FFG sets, to ease people into the new stuff, but I could also see the argument for making it more complex in order to stand out more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.
I got no problems with complexity, but the wording of the cards is definitely obtuse. There's a lot of missing elegance in some of those resources they revealed.