Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

Raspberry Jam It In Me posted:

Golden age doesn't mean that nobody put anything bad on TV. There will always be bad stuff on TV.

In the last 2-3 years alone you had True Detective S1, Leftovers, Stranger Things, Westworld S1, Expanse, Better Call Saul, etc. And even the bad stuff is miles ahead of 90s TV in terms of production values/writing/acting so a mediocre actor like Seth McFarland sticks out and bad writing sticks out and cheap costumes stick out. The one thing that keeps Orville from being cancelled is that it is literally the only game in town and nerds being extremely salty and defiant about executives trying to turn the new treks into a burlesque piece

Nah. Most of the current tv is poo poo, including the prestige shows and prestige-show wannabes. :getoffmylawn:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Golden age doesn't mean that nobody put anything bad on TV. There will always be bad stuff on TV.

In the last 2-3 years alone you had True Detective S1, Leftovers, Stranger Things, Westworld S1, Expanse, Better Call Saul, etc. And even the bad stuff is miles ahead of 90s TV in terms of production values/writing/acting so a mediocre actor like Seth McFarland sticks out and bad writing sticks out and cheap costumes stick out. The one thing that keeps Orville from being cancelled is that it is literally the only game in town and nerds being extremely salty and defiant about executives trying to turn the new treks into a burlesque piece

It's actually good decent and you're a bigger piece of poo poo than Seth by any metric

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
Golden age of brooding tortured middle-aged white male antiheroes

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

They forgot to have him pee :smith: should have had reactions during the credits would have been the perfect gag.

It was a very weak season opener would have been fine mid season. They really need to do the TNG thing and do high stakes 2 part episodes for finale and opening. Light hearted romp around the universe for mid season.

Otto Von Jizzmark
Dec 27, 2004
I like star trek voyager the best

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

so a mediocre actor like Seth McFarland sticks out and bad writing sticks out and cheap costumes stick out. The one thing that keeps Orville from being cancelled is that it is literally the only game in town and nerds being extremely salty and defiant about executives trying to turn the new treks into a burlesque piece

who took the jam out of your donut

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:
I've asked this before but I never got an answer, but why does Seth have a "Ooooo that drat varmint" *stomp on hat* reaction out of some people?

Is it purely Family Guy blowback? Afaik he isn't a creep, he is a good guy, nobody hates him for the person that he is, etc. He hasn't raped anyone which is pretty rare these days even!

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

KakerMix posted:

I've asked this before but I never got an answer, but why does Seth have a "Ooooo that drat varmint" *stomp on hat* reaction out of some people?

Is it purely Family Guy blowback? Afaik he isn't a creep, he is a good guy, nobody hates him for the person that he is, etc. He hasn't raped anyone which is pretty rare these days even!

That's what it is for me. I know he's not an rear end in a top hat irl (as far as I've heard), he seems like he'd be really cool to have some drinks with, etc... but goddamn man I was sick of Family Guy reruns when I was in middle school which was in like 2003 when it was only in season 4-5 or so. He'd probably laugh and say he's sick of it too and he can't believe it is still on air but nonetheless it's hard for me to get past his otherwise perfectly fine voice.

That said I got over it like halfway in through the first episode. He does a good job. It just made me not want to check it out at all for a while.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

KakerMix posted:

99.9% of it is Family Guy burnout

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

As someone who loves the Orville, and knows Family Guy is no longer being made by McFarlane, I want the former show to steal all the viewers from the latter, devouring them like Bortus would a cactus.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

This ep was really bad. Relationship/parenting stuff on star trek was bad too. And this whole episode was that.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

This ep was really bad. Relationship/parenting stuff on star trek was bad too. And this whole episode was that.

The have to find a date for the pee party was the main plot, I refuse to believe the underaged drinking was another but the B plot.

snergle
Aug 3, 2013

A kind little mouse!

Julius CSAR posted:

let's be real, 75 year olds with dementia don't watch fox

how do you explain fox news then :smug:

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

I did appreciate the parents bit ending with the slightest amount of adult effort instead of the pointless bickering that had gotten it to that point.

Xaintrailles
Aug 14, 2015

:hellyeah::histdowns:
Pure soap opera. You're on a spaceship do space stuff dammit.

snack eater
Aug 25, 2018

by FactsAreUseless
is Isaac fully functional like Data?

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

snack eater posted:

is Isaac fully functional like Data?

I don't think it's been specifically stated but he's clearly written to be a stand in for Data. He comes from an entire species with the intent of fostering a relationship with the whatever they are calling the Federation. This leaves open a war where he has to pick a side as a season finale or something else interesting. The show really needs to separate itself from being nothing more than a love letter to TNG. I enjoy it but I want it to be more.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Issac has no interest in being human, as his 'species' is convinced they are far superior to humans. It is Issac's job to study humanity, not want to join it.

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

Peachfart posted:

Issac has no interest in being human, as his 'species' is convinced they are far superior to humans. It is Issac's job to study humanity, not want to join it.

He's written as a bigger rear end in a top hat than Data and it's awesome. Of course it's defended as him being a robot but lol when he calls her a poo poo mom

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings

500 good dogs posted:

He's written as a bigger rear end in a top hat than Data and it's awesome. Of course it's defended as him being a robot but lol when he calls her a poo poo mom

And he can't differentiate between legitimate sources of information and Comedy from 20th century.

Just give him more booze till he pukes. :haw:

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Snow Cone Capone posted:

99.9% of it is Family Guy burnout

Nah, McFarland kept making trash long after he left Family Guy. IRC his latest garbage pile was "ten ways to die in the west" or something and he released it two or three years ago. it was absolute garbage and 95% fart& diarrhea jokes that make moderb Family Guy look like high art. go and watch clips of it on YouTube if you don't believe me. Also, he played the lead role lol

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Nah, McFarland kept making trash long after he left Family Guy. IRC his latest garbage pile was "ten ways to die in the west" or something and he released it two or three years ago. it was absolute garbage and 95% fart& diarrhea jokes that make moderb Family Guy look like high art. go and watch clips of it on YouTube if you don't believe me. Also, he played the lead role lol

b-b-but the golden age of television

snergle
Aug 3, 2013

A kind little mouse!

he also made ted. but he also made ted 2

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

I felt gypped that they teased a bortus piss episode and then bortus and his piss got like 30 seconds of screen time

lol but
Feb 24, 2007

body is a dinosaur
Slippery Tilde
they're doing perfectly fine middle-high tier TNG cosplay but maybe more is possible? just asking questions

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Snow Cone Capone posted:

b-b-but the golden age of television

that movie actually got a cinema release. probably even made a billion in profits or so, people really like their fart jokes

snack eater
Aug 25, 2018

by FactsAreUseless

poverty goat posted:

I felt gypped that they teased a bortus piss episode and then bortus and his piss got like 30 seconds of screen time

This is a classic Star Trek episode setup

The buildup to the big ceremony is the main story then the actual thing gets very little time

e: also don't say g*pped; it's a racist slur

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Xaintrailles posted:

Pure soap opera. You're on a spaceship do space stuff dammit.

nah it's cool that they can also do a very low stakes episode. not every story has to be saving planets or putting lives in jeopardy

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
we don't need to do the late-TNG A-plot/B-plot thing of "we want to tell a story about worf being a bad dad, but the producers say we have to have a space problem, so also here's a bullshit story about a soliton wave we don't really care about"

Windows 98
Nov 13, 2005

HTTP 400: Bad post

snack eater posted:

e: also don't say g*pped; it's a racist slur

lmao look at this post

snergle
Aug 3, 2013

A kind little mouse!

Windows 98 posted:

lmao look at this post

its not wrong though its another way to say jew someone down but its about the other race they attempted to exterminate in the holocaust. you know the one its still fashionable to hate in europe. roma

Xaintrailles
Aug 14, 2015

:hellyeah::histdowns:

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

we don't need to do the late-TNG A-plot/B-plot thing of "we want to tell a story about worf being a bad dad, but the producers say we have to have a space problem, so also here's a bullshit story about a soliton wave we don't really care about"

Low stakes is good, but there should have been some science fiction or comedy in the science fiction comedy program. If you want to tell parenting stories without any science fiction element write for a drama.
The setting was working against the story - the kids have a genius alien robot as a father figure and exploring what that would be like for them is an interesting sci-fi parenting story. Lil Bobby's friend hacks a vending machine and it plays out in a mundane way despite the alien is confounding as well as boring.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

I think it was more of a setup to explore Isaac and Clare's burgeoning relationship tbh

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Orville is Star Trek But Jokes
STD is Prestige TV Drama But Bad (In Space)

In conclusion: watch Orville

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

withak posted:

Orville is Star Trek But Jokes
STD is Prestige TV Drama But Bad (In Space)

In conclusion: watch Orville

I like it, it just needs to do more to be different. It's also very heavy on character and world building without doing anything on it right now. Stargate Universe was all build up and finally tapped the potential in the last few episodes just in time to be canceled. Orville needs to do something interesting by mid season or they risk losing audience attention. Really I don't want another Universe, that was really heartbreaking to see canceled where it did.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings

The Next weeks episode looks promising:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5rS8BB0wjOM

First Contact episode

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

adhuin posted:

The Next weeks episode looks promising:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5rS8BB0wjOM

First Contact episode

Not next week, just over 48 hours I'd call that this week. And that does look good. Maybe this is the real first episode of the season and the one we got Sunday was some filler so they could say they aired in 2018 new years special.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings

pixaal posted:

Not next week, just over 48 hours I'd call that this week. And that does look good. Maybe this is the real first episode of the season and the one we got Sunday was some filler so they could say they aired in 2018 new years special.

:stopicangetonlysohard.jpg:

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

snergle posted:

its not wrong though its another way to say jew someone down but its about the other race they attempted to exterminate in the holocaust. you know the one its still fashionable to hate in europe. roma

if you pick the right cafe in rome you can sit and watch families of gypsies pickpocket tourists for a living all day. their kids will pick your pockets while the parents distract you asking for money. it's not strictly a racist caricature, it's a real thing in their culture that you can observe in the wild all over europe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

what Orville episode teaches you not to be racist against gypsies? someone get it ASAP