Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

docbeard posted:

Oh and The End Of Time is loving wonderful fight me.

I sort of wish Timothy Dalton had done something a bit more than pose on a platform with a Nintendo Power Glove for 10 minutes at the end of the episode. You know, the threat is that Rassilon will bring the Time War with him, but there wasn't very much that seemed immediately impressive about him beyond the essential gravitas Dalton naturally brings to the role. :shrug:

"End of Time" is one of my two least favourite revival era stories along with "Let's Kill Hitler" because even though other episodes have been "worse" by various measures, those are the ones that I most anticipated and consequently was most disappointed by.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Also the regenerated Rassilon was kinda weak.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

After The War posted:

I believe the joke is that it was Mel diving through the time vortex in the second panel to save Six from those... crisps?

Or rather that she hired a vampire, since that's a traditional Time Lord Aversion Therapy technique.

:hai:

The very notion I don’t know Evelyn... :colbert:

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Astroman posted:

Also the regenerated Rassilon was kinda weak.

I didn't realise he was meant to be Rassilon until they literally said his name.

The Doctor searching for Gallifrey was a wonderful direction to take the show after the anniversary special and I'm still annoyed about how Moffat pissed that away.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
I guess when you have Timothy Dalton playing your character, you don't need to do much with the character because he's being played by Timothy Dalton.

A philosophy Moffat would go on to follow with Richard E Grant :v:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Plus Chibnall wisely did the same with Alan Cumming :hellyeah:

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Dec 31, 2018

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

All the world's a stage I'm going through

After The War posted:

I believe the joke is that it was Mel diving through the time vortex in the second panel to save Six from those... crisps?

Or rather that she hired a vampire, since that's a traditional Time Lord Aversion Therapy technique.

Prawn crackers, if that's an illustration of the audio I think it is.

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

Burkion posted:

I think you're having a stroke

Some folks just need to improve their eyepatch game.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Let's Kill Hitler is best enjoyed in the same way as a Heathcliff comic - drink in the absurdity of the whole thing.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Oh and weird is way preferable to forgettable.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Tuned into BBC America a little while ago and it's got a DW marathon going on leading up to the New Years episode and caught Journey to the Center of the TARDIS, which I probably haven't sat down and watched in about 4-5 years.

I had forgotten how cool the SFX were! The Eye of Harmony chamber, the "snarl" canyon the TARDIS puts up in front of 11 and Clara leading to the all-white void room with the exploding engine caught in the time-stasis. Even the hosed up Time Zombies were suitably well done and creepy.

Welp that's my post, thanks for reading!

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
I like that episode a lot. The gradual reveals that all the characters have been keeping secrets culminating in the Doctor confronting Clara about what her secret is and finding out she doesn't have one was well done. Even the reset button feels like an appropriate conclusion somehow- doesn't hurt that Time Magic allows the character growth that happens during the episode to kind of happen to the side characters even if none of the actual events that caused it did. Probably the only non-Moffat episode of series 7 I'll ever bother rewatching! Actually Nightmare In Silver is decent too

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Probably the only real complaint I have about that episode is that I wish the effects could have been used for Gaiman's early draft of The Doctor's Wife

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Continuing my journey of 'catching snippets of my roommate watching the BBC America Doctor Who Marathon in the other room', I will forgive both Stephen Moffat and Russell T Davies a world of bullshit for "JUST THIS ONCE, EVERYBODY LIVES!"

sunnyboy
May 10, 2011

Hawkmen Diiiiiiiiiiiiiiive!

Astroman posted:

Graham and Nardole would get along like a house on fire. Just sitting in the back, eating sandwiches and making snarky observations. :allears:

Truly, the Statler and Waldorf of Dr. Who. ;-)

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

https://twitter.com/lizzie_kristina/status/1079668833584115712

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Now I'm sad that John Hurt is dead, and we'll never get another potential War Doctor appearance :(

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

We got 12 stories out of him for Big Finish, which I never, in a million years, thought would have happened. (And he had agreed to do 12 more before he passed)

Davros1 fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Jan 1, 2019

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Davros1 posted:

We got 12 stories out of him for Big Finish, which I never, in a million years, thought would have happened.

Knowing that he had signed on for more was crushing

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Apparently Australia is beating the UK to the punch this year, and the new ep airs in about 3 hours on the ABC.

It might be up here later on, but I'm not too sure as I usually just :filez: a good quality copy when I get home from work

Andrew_1985
Sep 18, 2007
Hay hay hay!

Infinitum posted:

Apparently Australia is beating the UK to the punch this year, and the new ep airs in about 3 hours on the ABC.

It might be up here later on, but I'm not too sure as I usually just :filez: a good quality copy when I get home from work

Just checked the ABC program guides and sadly, no Who tonight.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Whelp I saw Jan 2 and assumed that was today.

Tells you how good last night was for me

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Ha, that's awesome! :allears:

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

A whole trove of superior audio fan recordings of several missing eps has been recovered.

https://twitter.com/kaleidoscopetv/status/1080118531327287300

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Fark I thought it was a New Year's Eve special and that I had forgotten to watch it in yesterday's hustle and bustle. Now I'm all busy today and I won't be able to watch it until probably pretty late.

Murderion
Oct 4, 2009

2019. New York is in ruins. The global economy is spiralling. Cyborgs rule over poisoned wastes.

The only time that's left is
FUN TIME
This intro is off to a... start.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
THE SOUTH PACIFIC
SIBERIA
YORKSHIRE

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

My pro tip: If you see a bizarre alien squid thing, maybe dont prod it with your finger.

Murderion
Oct 4, 2009

2019. New York is in ruins. The global economy is spiralling. Cyborgs rule over poisoned wastes.

FUN TIME
Loving the scarf, though.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

I was really really really hoping the Dalek was going to spell "You are the enemy of the Daleks" for the policeman.

Murderion
Oct 4, 2009

FUN TIME
You're a few decades late to save Sheffield steel Chibbers, but keep it up with the metalwork montages.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I liked the gag that Brexit has killed Unit due to europe ceasing funding.
Also the whole Dalek being home made just like the Doctor's screwdriver is a neat parallel.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
Also, with mind control tentacles, Chibbers is truly a horny millennial at heart.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Davros1 posted:

We got 12 stories out of him for Big Finish, which I never, in a million years, thought would have happened. (And he had agreed to do 12 more before he passed)
The big dream would have been a live action episode where the War Doctor goes up against the Derek Jacobi Master.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

I dug the home-made Dalek design. Assuming that they're going to re-design the Daleks again when they show up for 'real' I wonder if they're going to look much like that but 'cleaner'.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
That was one of Chibnall's better ones, I felt.

Neat idea with the dalek, Whittaker was excellent, and everyone got something to do (apart from Yaz) - capped off Ryan's thing with his dad (bit forced, but eh, only got an hour). CGI was pretty fantastic too - on the squid and space effects, anyway.

While the jokes were okay, they felt very jarringly placed and stopped some of the momentum. And while I liked the editing, labelling all the locations was completely unnecessary, and that GCHQ text transition from the full name to abbreviation was so ridonkulous it made me laugh.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

So, with UNIT gone, I guess this implies the Doctor is no longer the president of the earth either?

Stabbatical
Sep 15, 2011

Just finished calling it back. Very fun. It did feel like I was switching channels between Eastenders and an sci-fi action movie at points, but it somehow managed to keep the tone nicely balanced. The actors brought their best stuff to this. Cole gave a fantastic performance in the café scene. When Graham started the reveal of the TARDIS to Aaron, Walsh seemed like, in another world, he could've acted a great Doctor too. Whittaker was great in this too. I know some people have said she's not felt fully like 'The Doctor' so far and, while disagreeing, I could see where one would be coming from with that. If someone says that after this episode, then they'll baffle me. Still seems like Chibnall doesn't know quite what to do with Yaz most of the time though, which is a shame.

Chibnall did the same thing Davies did in Dalek - one lone, deadly Dalek (with some new powers). It worked really well, and felt like more of a threat from the moment it was revealed than, in my eyes, anything that Moffat did with them. The recon-Dalek's antics were great to watch (credit to Ritchie for selling the facial expressions and movements well) and the home-made casing looked great too. The CGI didn't sell me on a couple of the flying shots and the missile stuff but nothing's perfect. The lighting in a few of the shots felt a bit flat at some points; it'd go from looking great to looking a bit cheap to great again. Not sure why, I don't know much about TV filming. :shrug: The UNIT bits and the family wi-fi gags were pretty silly but the editing managed to slot them in without breaking the tone. The labelling looked awful although the GCHQ bit was hilarious - might be up there with that "TO BE CONTINUED" gif from Journey's End.

Resolution felt a bit quick; the recon-Dalek standing in a spot to get sucked into space by 'dalek-sized vacuum', and not having any contingency plan like 'get someone else to stand by the doors in case there's a trick', was a bit of a "We have 5 minutes to wrap this up"-thing but, eh, the revival series has been full of that sort of stuff for almost 14 years at this point. I did believe the show coould have actually killed off Ryan's dad, because they did that with Grace, (even though thinking about it now it'd be a bit too grim for a New Year's special) so the scene still had some tension.

Overall, one of Chibnall's best. The dialogue felt a lot less functional/stating things we can see throughout, too.

SpaceCommie
Oct 2, 2008

I'm escaping to the one place that hasn't been corrupted by Capitalism ...

SPACE!

Is it just me or did the music surpass Murray Gold levels of bombast?

Edit: Ah, phones bad indeed Chibnal, you loving hack.

SpaceCommie fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Jan 2, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I like the Dalek's little grabby hand in place of the plunger.

And Bradley as Cockney geezer Doctor would probably have been great but too similar in a way to Capaldi.

Edit: And the Doctor being only barely passive-aggressive (in the sense that she was about a hair's width from outright aggression) to Ryan's dad was great.

Gaz-L fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Jan 2, 2019