Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug
As has been posted repeatedly in this and the other obsolete tech threads: Buy business laptops. They are designed for fast and easy service in the field by lowest bidder techs, and parts will be available for years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe

Switzerland posted:

Re: clear plastics chat, a good tumblr to follow: http://y2kaestheticinstitute.tumblr.com/

Holy poo poo, this hit me hard.

e: I recall making this kind of stuff in Photoshop, Illustrator, 3dsmax and crap. Several people spun off in their own digital art groups (Seire, Raster, Depthcore, Breed) and some of those are still pretty succesful designers nowadays - they kept pushing eachother to improve their design work. Quite amazing, really.

Laserjet 4P has a new favorite as of 22:23 on Jan 1, 2019

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

evobatman posted:

As has been posted repeatedly in this and the other obsolete tech threads: Buy business laptops. They are designed for fast and easy service in the field by lowest bidder techs, and parts will be available for years.

What's the go-to nowadays? I've heard that thinkpads are going to poo poo.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Grand Prize Winner posted:

I like my Thinkpad X270 but haven't tried to repair anything so I've got no idea on that front. It's solid, though, and runs 20 hours on a charge.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

evobatman posted:

I'm not gonna miss every gadget being piano black and covered in fingerprints after three seconds of use.

I DO miss my Dell Studio XPS 13. It came out at the tail end of 2008 and was built with aluminum and leather trim, and there has never been a laptop like it before or after.

The first iteration was horribly unreliable. With Windows Vista and an Nvidia chipset with switching graphics in the small chassis it never stood a chance, and I went through 5-6 motherboards before Dell swapped it for a facelifted model for me.

The facelift ran perfectly, and I kept doing unsupported upgrades to it using parts from computers at work, until 2017 when I finally sold it. At that time it had the most powerful Core 2 Duo CPU you could fit the socket, Windows 10 Pro, 8GB DDR3, the fastest Intel SSD drive the chipset would accept, 4G modem and some upgraded Wifi card.

Good news, the HP Spectre Folio is a thing now:

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Computer viking posted:

I suspect that's one of a very long line of "now that we can make this thing on a mass scale, it'll be new and cool and popular for a while". This is just guessing, but it seems like perfectly clear uncolored plastic would be harder to make than anything where you can hide the imperfections with color?

What I'm trying to say is that it's as useless as wood paneling on stuff, but a lot of older Millennials like it anyways because it's "rad."

uvar
Jul 25, 2011

Avoid breathing
radioactive dust.
College Slice

Switzerland posted:

Re: clear plastics chat, a good tumblr to follow: http://y2kaestheticinstitute.tumblr.com/

Agreeing, this is amazing. I stopped hanging onto my old Palm PDA well over a decade ago because the screen got damaged, but the PR photos just a little way down make me super nostalgic and I wish I had kept it just so I could hold it again and watch the screen refresh and show nice simple graphics with relatively huge pixels, and find cool apps for it on magazine CDs or random internet sites, and :unsmith:

I also had a folding keyboard that was larger than the palm even when shut and must have made me look ridiculous whenever I used it, I don't miss that so much but it was a hell of a lot faster than Graffiti.

I keep scrolling and finding things that I love... help

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Grand Prize Winner posted:

The "real" thinkpads are fine, but they've diluted the brand by putting it on junk that should probably have remained "ideapad" or just plain "Lenovo". The T and X series are still good, though of course the X1 isn't very expandable. It looks like the P series is a rebranding of the equally solid W series, and I think the L380 looks decent for a classic chunky but expandable, not too expensive, 13"?

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

Good to know. Thanks!

EvilGenius
May 2, 2006
Death to the Black Eyed Peas

evobatman posted:

Yeah, I got a new Dell business range laptop for a previous job and a couple of keys just didn't work. I worked next to the IT guy, and to my amazement they just sent a modular keyboard, the old one just slotted right out and he'd replaced it in 30 seconds. I was expecting the whole thing to have to go back.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Heh, in 2018 we switched from Dell to HP and the HPs are not nearly as easy to work on as the Dell. And their parts take longer to source.

And frankly we've had more DOA with HP.

But we sure saved some money!

Horace
Apr 17, 2007

Gone Skiin'

Switzerland posted:

This would have been impossibly dated before they'd finished fitting out the first store:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iS_7xurnafQ

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Jerry Cotton posted:

Speaking of radios this seems to have been fairly popular since I see it on TV every once in a while. The one I have used to be my grandmother's and it's cool because it's got three (mechanical) presets:

It's also got inputs for phono and deck (so, basically anything, it isn't as if the amp knows what's connected) and an extra speaker to make it stereo.

My grandpa has the same set, or a nearly identical one. Still used it in the 2000s.

THat's my story, thanks for listening.

stuffed crust punk
Oct 8, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Horace posted:

This would have been impossibly dated before they'd finished fitting out the first store:

This is not ok

Switzerland
Feb 18, 2005
Do what thou must do.
Imagine being in the meeting with Steve when he first saw that garbage, lol

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

*steeples fingers*

*wiggles nose*

*pitch guy explodes in a poof of purple smoke*

barbecue at the folks
Jul 20, 2007

I'm still running a X230 that I bought used in 2014, the battery is shot but the thing itself just Keeps On Trucking. It's built to withstand all abuse I've thrown at it, lmost all parts are user-changeable on the cheap and the hardware is still pretty reasonably powerful - why get a new one? (It's also the last model to have the classic IBM design cues and I hate change.)

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

More like another sacrifice on a dark altar.

The eldritch abomination whispers from the shadows, "Smartphones".

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

barbecue at the folks posted:

I'm still running a X230 that I bought used in 2014, the battery is shot but the thing itself just Keeps On Trucking. It's built to withstand all abuse I've thrown at it, lmost all parts are user-changeable on the cheap and the hardware is still pretty reasonably powerful - why get a new one? (It's also the last model to have the classic IBM design cues and I hate change.)

My T540 from 2014 is still kicking rear end with no signs of giving up. Except for the one time I had to replace the screen because the video cable connector was worn from hinge action. I wanted to upgrade to an IPS display anyway because I cheaped out when ordering it and got the screen with the terrible view angles.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Horace posted:

Why is everything, including the camera itself, spinning constantly. Its like a visual whirligig ride

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Switzerland posted:

Imagine being in the meeting with Steve when he first saw that garbage, lol

He’s throw you in the fish tank till bubbles stopped coming out.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Barudak posted:

Why is everything, including the camera itself, spinning constantly. Its like a visual whirligig ride

In the future, everything will be like living in a Mind's Eye video

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

barbecue at the folks posted:

X220i here, cirka 2011-12 (bought it as a refurb). SSD, 8G RAM, new 9-cell battery, still works like new.

Not the fastest thing in the world, but fine for browsing and email and the occasional game of Darkest Dungeon.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Barudak posted:

Im sorry you were never into the demoscene

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

Data Graham posted:

In the future, everything will be like living in a Mind's Eye video

When the hell are museums gonna look like this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uwarhzl76D8

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Im sorry you were never into the demoscene
That reminds me, did you see the new Apple Store redesign concept video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iw17c70uJes&t=109s

I think I spent the rest of my musical career after this came out trying to top Purple Motion's WHIDDLEWHIDDLEwooooWHIDDLEWHIDDLEwoodillydoooo and of course never did but really I was not Finnish enough to pull off this style

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Dr. Quarex posted:

That reminds me, did you see the new Apple Store redesign concept video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iw17c70uJes&t=109s

I think I spent the rest of my musical career after this came out trying to top Purple Motion's WHIDDLEWHIDDLEwooooWHIDDLEWHIDDLEwoodillydoooo and of course never did but really I was not Finnish enough to pull off this style

I was walking down the street with a goon once and he stopped to talk to some guy and afterwards I asked him "who was that?" and he said "oh Purple Motion you know?" and I was like whoaa daaamn.

Also I almost gave DJ Gismo of Bumfuck MCs fame a few euros because he was sitting at a doorway and I thought he was a hobo begging.

Too bad Radio Mafia doesn't do their "I'm almost related to a celebrity" call-in show anymore. Or exist :(

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Ograbme posted:

Why does this Windows XP disc I found while cleaning the closet say "Make Illegal Copies"?

:allears:

barbecue at the folks
Jul 20, 2007

Jerry Cotton posted:

Too bad Radio Mafia doesn't do their "I'm almost related to a celebrity" call-in show anymore. Or exist :(

:yossame:

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
I got the T25 thing when they were cutting prices before the T480 release and man this keyboard is still awesome even if the screen is p lackluster at this point

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

lol

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together

Plinkey posted:

Map quest printout.

A couple weeks ago I was at a gas station and saw a mapquest printout on the ground and I thought I traveled through time somehow

Bloopsy
Jun 1, 2006

you have been visited by the Tasty Garlic Bread. you will be blessed by having good Garlic Bread in your life time, but only if you comment "ty garlic bread" in the thread below

ElwoodCuse posted:

A couple weeks ago I was at a gas station and saw a mapquest printout on the ground and I thought I traveled through time somehow

I have a friend who still prints out MapQuest directions even though he has Google maps on his phone. He is 32 yet is oblivious to or plain doesn't want to learn some forms of technology.

When i cut the cord and got a Roku a few years ago he was blown away by the concept of it yet still pays a poo poo load of money for cable.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Bloopsy posted:

I have a friend who still prints out MapQuest directions even though he has Google maps on his phone. He is 32 yet is oblivious to or plain doesn't want to learn some forms of technology.

When i cut the cord and got a Roku a few years ago he was blown away by the concept of it yet still pays a poo poo load of money for cable.

:lol: @ paying for television, a thing that is free.

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

I've met an incredible number of people that completely missed the point of the digital television transition and think that there are no over the air broadcasts anymore.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Bloopsy posted:

I've been known to print out directions when I'm going to be traveling far from civilization, where I might not get a cell signal. Just as a backup. But I have a better paper-map story.

A year and a half ago, I went on a road trip to see the total eclipse that went across the US. We lucked out with a clear sky, and the eclipse was mindblowingly awesome. But immediately afterward came the infamous coast-to-coast traffic jam as a few million people all poured out of the narrow path of totality to go back home, along roads in rural areas that simply weren't designed for anywhere near that volume of traffic.

I had an Android phone and my girlfriend had an iPhone. We kind of went back and forth on following the recommendations of Google or Siri as they led us well away from the interstate in an increasingly futile effort to find a route that wasn't jammed solid. So off into the boonies we went, along with a few million of our closest friends. Long straight two-lane roads, jammed full of cars, slowly creeping past immense quantities of nothing. And then... boom, both our phones lost signal. We were in a total dead zone in the middle of nowhere. Siri didn't actually say "ha ha ha, good luck, meatbags" but she might as well have. And we were starting to run low on gas...

But a thought struck me. I reached back into the seat-back pocket and found, to my immense relief, a big floppy old 2002-edition Rand McNally road atlas book. I'd put it there when I'd bought the car new in 2005, and pretty much hadn't touched it since. Okay, time to party like it's 1999. On the map we found a flyspeck town not too far out of our way, and (agonizingly slowly) we navigated ourselves there with fuel to spare. There were a couple of gas stations in that town, so we only had to wait 20 minutes in line for a pump. (This was one seriously enormous traffic jam.)

That big silly atlas is in my new car now. Because hey, you never know. And paper never loses its signal.

e:

Powered Descent has a new favorite as of 10:04 on Jan 8, 2019

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

A FUCKIN CANARY!! posted:

I've met an incredible number of people that completely missed the point of the digital television transition and think that there are no over the air broadcasts anymore.

This is sort of a multi-faceted problem.

1) I think most people don't really "watch" TV, it's more of a temporary shut down like when the crew of the enterprise beamed onto the borg ship and all the borgs are just chilling in their alcoves. That really is the only explanation how anyone could have missed that advertising blitz in the lead up to the transition.

2) Digital signals require a little more finesse than the analog signals did. With analog you could get a signal, no matter how staticy with minimal effort. I think digital signals use less power (I'm not an expert, so don't quote me), so you have to put in a little more effort to point the thing toward a signal.

3) Most people aren't that tech savvy. Things work because they do, when their phone stops working, they just go to the Apple store and get a new one on a new two year contract. TV is the same way, rather than put a modicum of effort into buying a decent antenna and placing it in a good spot, and pointing it correctly, it's a lot easier to pay $90/month to get a box that does all that work for you.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

Iron Crowned posted:

2) Digital signals require a little more finesse than the analog signals did. With analog you could get a signal, no matter how staticy with minimal effort. I think digital signals use less power (I'm not an expert, so don't quote me), so you have to put in a little more effort to point the thing toward a signal.

The issue with digital isn't really power, it's that you either have enough signal for it to work, or you do not. There isn't a fade off like there is in analog.

At the same transmit power:

With analog, as signal strength decreases, you get more static and noise, but you still have a picture and sound.

With digital, as signal strength decreases, you hit a point where it just isn't enough and it stops working.

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

They saw the advertising blitz leading up to the change, then bought a converter box AND got cable television. Cable because over the air broadcasting was ending, and a converter box because "I guess TV doesn't work without a converter box now."

There are still products that prey on this.

There are probably already adults that have no idea over the air signals were ever a thing, or think that you are talking about wifi.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

#3 there is sometimes a sort of wealthy poverty, where you don't have enough mental effort, time, or money stored up to set up that durned digital antenna set up properly, or educate yourself enough to do so, so you shuffle your bills around and just buy something more expensive, and anyway, there's a three month deal on it and one thousand channels sounds like an amazing luxury that you deserve anyhow.

Same with phones. Apple was pretty smart about using those OS updates to slow down old phones, and probably received next to no negative repercussions for doing it. I wonder how much of our economy runs on people who are too time-broke to figure out the most optimal way to use technology, versus those who have enough disposable income to drop $600 on a phone every year.