Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Tunicate posted:

None of them are that great, but X is particularly egregious. Probably because he's all metal, and nobody figured out how to do good metal textures

From the look of it they didn't figure out how to do face textures either

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hyper Inferno
Jun 11, 2015
The customization parts from X5 were the first in the X series but were they introduced there or in the classic series first? Either way, it's sort of become a series mainstay.

The main thing I would like from X5 to return is how drastically the armors change how you might approach a stage. The armors in most of the other games don't really change how you approach a stage, it just makes it easier. Whereas the Gaea and Falcon armor drastically change how you play through stages compared to using Fourth. This was also true in ZXA (I never played ZX) where I would just play through areas with as many forms as I could just because it was fun moving through them differently as long as they didn't require a specific form's gimmick.

I will admit, a lot of this is just me wanting to use the Falcon armor to break new stages with though. That is my favorite armor in the X series by a longshot.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Hyper Inferno posted:

The customization parts from X5 were the first in the X series but were they introduced there or in the classic series first? Either way, it's sort of become a series mainstay.

The main thing I would like from X5 to return is how drastically the armors change how you might approach a stage. The armors in most of the other games don't really change how you approach a stage, it just makes it easier. Whereas the Gaea and Falcon armor drastically change how you play through stages compared to using Fourth. This was also true in ZXA (I never played ZX) where I would just play through areas with as many forms as I could just because it was fun moving through them differently as long as they didn't require a specific form's gimmick.

I will admit, a lot of this is just me wanting to use the Falcon armor to break new stages with though. That is my favorite armor in the X series by a longshot.

MM8 came out before X5 and had a really lovely customizing system. But the earlier MM games like 7 has bolts and even MMV on the game boy had a shop with some extra parts. X5’s is definitely better than 8’s, where there’s an extremely limited number of bolts so you had to plan what parts you would buy. Some were terrible (the one that makes you climb ladders quicker lol) and some were essential (quicker charging, less knockback).

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

First game to have a shop was MMIV on the Game Boy, the first X series game to feature parts you could equip was indeed MMX5.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Jan 1, 2019

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

I mean, that depends on if you consider the energy balancer an equitable part

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

I mean, that depends on if you consider the energy balancer an equitable part

That would still be MMIV then (it predates MM6 by a week, not sure how the Japanese releases of said games line up though).

Larryb fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Jan 1, 2019

BiggerJ
May 21, 2007

What shall we do with him? A permaban, perhaps? Probate him for a few years? Or...shall we employ a big red custom title? You, the goons of SA, shall decide his fate.
I've been wondering for a while about this exchange:

MonsterEnvy posted:

Also an interview about the game.
http://www.rockman-corner.com/2017/12/mega-man-11-details-from-game-informers.html

Which also says more or less the reason we had to wait 7 years for a new game.

quote:

Mega Man 11 producer Kazuhiro Tsuchiya reiterated it was a difficult environment for everyone at Capcom to say, "I really want to work on Mega Man" following Keiji Inafune's departure in 2011. Inafune was the brand's leader, so to speak. When he left there was a sense of emptiness among staff. No one knew how to fill his role.
Over the last seven years there were several pitches for new Mega Man games but Koji Oda, Mega Man 11's director, was the first to receive a greenlight.

Nodosaur posted:

Wow, it's almost like the narrative that the drought was due to evil, apathy, or greed was complete hogwash, and the reason we didn't get a game was actually do to real life development concerns and the lack of overall direction or leadership for the brand.

But that doesn't fit the characterization of Capcom as supervillains, I guess.

Hemingway To Go! posted:

Capcom can be a lovely company but not specifically because of Megaman's handling

Nodosaur posted:

Capcom is just that, a company. They're not our friends, they're a business. They're not good or evil, they just are.

Even Nintendo has shown the same capacity for boneheaded decisions.

But either way, I specifically meant that in regards to Mega Man, and the on going narrative that they were doing their best to hurt the fans of the franchise.

Ventana posted:

No, Capcom is pretty evil. They are both a business, and evil

In regards to Megaman though, that's actually fairly reasonable as a reason for the drought, and I don't really see any big reason why to not trust it yet. Since the Megaman IP was mostly relegated to smaller titles for the past several years before Inafune left, it wasn't a big priority for the company to push it, and the other devs were unsure about how to push it. There's still potential for Capcom fuckery, but filling the void of the one big Megaman guy at the company can be daunting and can't be ruled out either.

Star Man posted:

Oh come the gently caress on. Capcom does some lovely things, but they're not on the same loving level as an oil or pharmaceutical company.

Ventana posted:

There can be different levels of evil. Luckily capcom can only hurt video games (and employees too but eh they aren't Konami-level so we can let that slide for now), but just because they don't actively ruin the economy at large or people therein doesn't change them being pretty poo poo

VVVVV fair enough, I'm using them loosely as to be synonymous, not trying to say Capcom is actively ruining the world which I thought would be clear

Sakurazuka posted:

'Evil' suggests another level on top of being 'pretty poo poo'.

Bust Rodd posted:

Capcom is also setting up to restart the true Devil May Cry series so maybe they are taking all their hot Monster Hunter money and reinvigorating their old franchises because they realize they are right on Konami’s coattails in terms of “formerly beloved, now a dirty word”.

How common was the 'Capcom is the new Konami' belief among Mega Man fans, and how common is it now?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

BiggerJ posted:

How common was the 'Capcom is the new Konami' belief among Mega Man fans, and how common is it now?

It was *extremely* high when Inafune left. It is probably primarily what funded Mighty No. 9 in fact. It's cooled off a lot since MN9 ended up being a garbage fire and Capcom having more success catering to fans. You'll still get a fair number of people who have massive angerbursts at Capcom over Mega Man Legends 3 but I think that's certainly faded over time. It wasn't enough (or even close) to fund Red Ash.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

I think a lot of that turned around when people realized Inafune was behind a lot of the decisions to give their IP to western developers, too. It's almost hyperbolic in the other direction now.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
I also wanna say people weren't really mad at Konami the way they are now until a little while after Inafune left Capcom.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.
I more or less forgive Capcom because MM11 was exactly the game I've been wanting for nearly twenty years, but Inafune can kneel and lappeth the sweat from 'twixt mine arsecheeks for his chicanery.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Monster Hunter World is probably giving me more confidence in Capcom than I probably should have since MH Capcom seems to be practically a different company even setting aside MH and MM being completely different games and teams, but I also just want to believe they've turned around.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

chumbler posted:

Monster Hunter World is probably giving me more confidence in Capcom than I probably should have since MH Capcom seems to be practically a different company even setting aside MH and MM being completely different games and teams, but I also just want to believe they've turned around.

Capcom's fighting game division is still a mess, but everything else has been on point.

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

I also wanna say people weren't really mad at Konami the way they are now until a little while after Inafune left Capcom.

I honestly don't recall the truly massive ire toward Konami until PT was canned, Kojima was shuffled out and rumored to be briefly blacklisted, and finally MGS5 was shown to be incomplete (maybe this last note was before the previous).

There were angry mutterings before that, but my brain is insisting that this is what brought out the international pitchforks. Oh, that and using their older fan-favorite IPs for pachinko machines exclusively.

I for one really don't mind non-Asian devs working on first party games for Capcom, Konami, etc. What I do mind is lowest-bidder poo poo where cheap devs in Eastern Bloc countries churn out crap while the Japanese IP owners famously don't communicate anything except an occasional grunt of disapproval. Not that the same thankless slave labor hasn't been farmed out to other countries as well, but every few times it happens a former employee posts an anonymous tell-all about communication and milestone problems despite us living in an age of near-instant global communication.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Andrigaar posted:

I honestly don't recall the truly massive ire toward Konami until PT was canned, Kojima was shuffled out and rumored to be briefly blacklisted, and finally MGS5 was shown to be incomplete (maybe this last note was before the previous).

There were angry mutterings before that, but my brain is insisting that this is what brought out the international pitchforks. Oh, that and using their older fan-favorite IPs for pachinko machines exclusively.

I for one really don't mind non-Asian devs working on first party games for Capcom, Konami, etc. What I do mind is lowest-bidder poo poo where cheap devs in Eastern Bloc countries churn out crap while the Japanese IP owners famously don't communicate anything except an occasional grunt of disapproval. Not that the same thankless slave labor hasn't been farmed out to other countries as well, but every few times it happens a former employee posts an anonymous tell-all about communication and milestone problems despite us living in an age of near-instant global communication.

Yeah, I think it should be noted that it isn't Western developers working on IP that is bad. It is bad Western developers working on Japanese IP. And this is absolutely down to attitude. Inafune is an example here but certainly not an only one, but he kept going back to Spark not because they were good developers but because he was friends with the higher ups and in fact he openly stated that the staff wasn't important to deciding the company, it was the higher ups, and I wouldn't be surprised if that was a common attitude at Capcom when it came to it.

It also doesn't help that they didn't have good matches. Like Ninja Theory was absolutely not someone who should have been given DMC but they probably could have killed it with a new Onimusha.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

BiggerJ posted:

I don't know that they were ever the "new" Konami. The Legends 3 debacle happened in 2010, how hated was Konami at that time?

Screaming Idiot posted:

I more or less forgive Capcom because MM11 was exactly the game I've been wanting for nearly twenty years, but Inafune can kneel and lappeth the sweat from 'twixt mine arsecheeks for his chicanery.

Inafune isn't any worse or more duplicitous than Capcom. He's worked on good games and bad, no one would have cared that MN9 was below par except that people convinced themselves it was going to redeem the Mega Man franchise or some bullshit.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

ImpAtom posted:

It also doesn't help that they didn't have good matches. Like Ninja Theory was absolutely not someone who should have been given DMC but they probably could have killed it with a new Onimusha.

Serious question: which western studio should have been given DMC? Like, if someone had've told me to pick one back in 2010 or whatever I have absolutely no idea who I'd want to pick and I honestly have no idea what they could have done to pull off whatever the hell it was they were trying to accomplish.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Serious question: which western studio should have been given DMC? Like, if someone had've told me to pick one back in 2010 or whatever I have absolutely no idea who I'd want to pick and I honestly have no idea what they could have done to pull off whatever the hell it was they were trying to accomplish.

In all honesty, Ninja Theory was the best choice for a western studio to make a DMC game. The real issue with DmC wasn't what NT actually made, it was their atrocious PR and insistence that Dante was poo poo and everyone who like the older games were poo poo too. That game could have gotten so much better long-term reception if the lead guys didn't have their heads up their asses.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

That is a hard question because especially at the time DmC went into production there weren't exactly a ton of studios making character-action games like that. Even now it's largely Japanese developers. Ninja Theory's problem is that their strengths don't really mesh with the kind of game DMC is. It's why they've done a lot better with more heavily visual/presentation stuff like Hellblade. Their gameplay has never been their strong suit.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Schwarzwald posted:

Inafune isn't any worse or more duplicitous than Capcom. He's worked on good games and bad, no one would have cared that MN9 was below par except that people convinced themselves it was going to redeem the Mega Man franchise or some bullshit.

Dude rode the hype and built up MN9 like the Second Coming despite the fact he was a businessman interested in schmoozing with other businessmen, which wouldn't be that reprehensible except for the fact he railed against that same loving practice and promoted himself as a creator and a visionary. He wasn't. Inafune didn't make poo poo. MN9 was a disappointment on every level, and would be nearly as much of a disappointment even without the enormous expectations built up by jaded Megaman fans. People overhyped MN9, but Inafune and his company did nothing to temper that except beg for more money on multiple occasions, delay the game, and deliver a buggy, broken, mediocre product.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

TaurusOxford posted:

Capcom's fighting game division is still a mess, but everything else has been on point.
Yeah I would say that's where most of the remaining anger towards Capcom is. Lots of oldschool fg players still pissed at Capcom over SF5, MvCI, etc.
Which isn't that much because fighting games are niche.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

IronicDongz posted:

Yeah I would say that's where most of the remaining anger towards Capcom is. Lots of oldschool fg players still pissed at Capcom over SF5, MvCI, etc.

SFV's overall package and monetization loving blows poo poo and MVCI was an abhorrent stumble but Capcom overall has made huge strides in the last few years. Between MHWorld, DMC5, Resident Evil 7/2 and Megaman 11, it's been a big comeback from the olden decade or so of poo poo like Dead Rising 4, the terrible RE spinoff games, etc etc. The new Legacy collections for Mega Man and Street Fighter are very cool too, and shows they're serious about preserving their old content.

I wouldn't call Capcom "evil" but from 2010 and onward it was kind of a stretch or so of bad games and ignorance about what people wanted, to the point where they became a bad word. After MVC3 it was a real mixed bag but even now I'd put them echelons above EA/Activision/Squeenix since it's not like Capcom is outright destroying their IPs or putting them on ice. Hell, they created a new game engine specifically to enhance the future products and basically used it to not only resurrect DMCV but also create a new RE alongside a nostalgic passion project.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

IronicDongz posted:

Not sure if the genre with the six figure pot world tournament in Vegas is "niche" anymore.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
Viewership of fighting games is way different from people who actually play fighting games

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Screaming Idiot posted:

Dude rode the hype and built up MN9 like the Second Coming despite the fact he was a businessman interested in schmoozing with other businessmen, which wouldn't be that reprehensible except for the fact he railed against that same loving practice and promoted himself as a creator and a visionary. He wasn't. Inafune didn't make poo poo. MN9 was a disappointment on every level, and would be nearly as much of a disappointment even without the enormous expectations built up by jaded Megaman fans. People overhyped MN9, but Inafune and his company did nothing to temper that except beg for more money on multiple occasions, delay the game, and deliver a buggy, broken, mediocre product.

Yes, Inafune is a businessman trying to sell a product. The same as any number of businessmen in Capcom, the same as any number of businessmen in any other large game company. The dude took a risk to start an indie company, same as hundreds of other people on kickstarter. It didn't work out, same as hundreds of other people on kickstarter.

The kind of thinking that leads to believing Inafune is somehow especially bad is the same kind of thinking that lead to people believing Capcom was evil in 2010 or that Konami is evil now. And just as people have collectively turned around on Capcom after they made a game they actually liked, no one would ever have given a poo poo about Inafune being a businessman instead of a "visionary" if MN9 had been a better game.

It's a drat shame the game wasn't better! But having a game turn out bad isn't "reprehensible," it's just how it goes sometimes.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Schwarzwald posted:

Yes, Inafune is a businessman trying to sell a product. The same as any number of businessmen in Capcom, the same as any number of businessmen in any other large game company. The dude took a risk to start an indie company, same as hundreds of other people on kickstarter. It didn't work out, same as hundreds of other people on kickstarter.

The kind of thinking that leads to believing Inafune is somehow especially bad is the same kind of thinking that lead to people believing Capcom was evil in 2010 or that Konami is evil now. And just as people have collectively turned around on Capcom after they made a game they actually liked, no one would ever have given a poo poo about Inafune being a businessman instead of a "visionary" if MN9 had been a better game.

It's a drat shame the game wasn't better! But having a game turn out bad isn't "reprehensible," it's just how it goes sometimes.

Inafune was also extremely bad at said Kickstarter because he advertised that stupid Red Ash poo poo even before coming through on his current project. He just sucked at what he did on his own.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

DLC Inc posted:

Inafune was also extremely bad at said Kickstarter because he advertised that stupid Red Ash poo poo even before coming through on his current project. He just sucked at what he did on his own.

The Red Ash campaign was timed to coincide with when MN9 was supposed to wrap up, the intent was to transition his people onto a new project ASAP. Of course, they delayed MN9 again so it didn't work out that way, but it's not something he did purely out of hubris.

Original_Z
Jun 14, 2005
Z so good
Also the fact that he was so arrogant that MN9 would be a classic and signed deals with an animation collaboration and other merchandise certainly didn't help while the game was being delayed year after year. Then the whole Red Ash debacle again which also launched with an anime kickstarter since obviously it'll become another franchise (ironically that got funded but not the game). He put the cart before the horse, he should have focused on making sure the game was fantastic and use that goodwill into expanding into other projects and licensing with the fanbase supporting him. Instead he ended up disgraced.

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers

The Red Ash campaign was timed to coincide with when MN9 was supposed to wrap up, the intent was to transition his people onto a new project ASAP. Of course, they delayed MN9 again so it didn't work out that way, but it's not something he did purely out of hubris.

I didn't know this. The online stuff most of us never even glanced at really hosed this game over. I mean, wasn't that the cause of almost all of the delays?

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Andrigaar posted:

I didn't know this. The online stuff most of us never even glanced at really hosed this game over. I mean, wasn't that the cause of almost all of the delays?

The real cause of the delays was that the game was being created for every system under the sun, which is an insane undertaking with a simple Kickstarter budget. The online stuff not working was simply an extension of that.

We literally still do not have the handheld versions.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.
No matter the company, no matter the franchise, the real evil is Gamer Entitlement.

Speaking of which, thread challenge:

Let's Crowd-design the Worst Mega Man X Sequel Possible.
List terrible features, systems, whatever that you think should be in the MMX8 sequel that should never happen.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Discendo Vox posted:

No matter the company, no matter the franchise, the real evil is Gamer Entitlement.

List terrible features, systems, whatever that you think should be in the MMX8 sequel that should never happen.

Removing charge shots, dashing, wall sliding, and parts sounds like a start to making something terrible.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Discendo Vox posted:

MN9X

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

levels are now procedurally generated with stage selection occurring via roulette wheel

armor and parts are acquired via an ingame gacha using either acquired metals or microtransaction e-crystals

the base game is a $30 "rookie hunter pack" with axl as the only playable character and X and Zero as individual $15 addons

dash is double-tap only

Metal Meltdown
Mar 27, 2010

Motto posted:

dash is double-tap only

Too far.

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!

Discendo Vox posted:

Flashback intro level where you play as Zero and kill classic Mega Man

10% chance of being kicked into Metal Shark Player's level whenever you select a level

A weapon that lets you make Fortnite style structures. One of the Sigma levels requires using this expertly.

Zero's moves should all have extremely complicated Mortal Kombat style inputs, none of which are indicated anywhere in game, instead expecting you to find them on an "about" page on the official site for the game, updated 3 days after the game's release.

A NPC appears on screen in level for 3 seconds before being carried off by a reploid. If you do not save this NPC you are permanently locked out of an armor upgrade.

Capcom later backpedals on the intro level, adding classic Mega Man as a DLC and having his story end in a rematch against Zero.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Levels are locked out after defeating a boss maverick and you can't exit out of a stage once you enter it.

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!
The game has a big EULA in-game that requires you to scroll all the way through before clicking accept, and the game has no lives system but every time you die you have to redo the EULA. This is acknowledged as a bug but never patched.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway

Discendo Vox posted:

x7 except with proc gen (completely un playtested)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Saves cost currency.

Enemies respawn like Ninja Gaiden birds.

Mega Man can fire upward, but the control stick needs to be rotated for that direction. Second stick to move.

Mid-game boss is weak to certain weapons that you might not have gotten.