Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Yeah, I mean the Basterds were inglorious and they were bastards but I think vile is maybe a bit much. Also remember the German sniper who was hailed as a hero and then had his little meltdown because Shoshana wouldn't date him? Also was Shoshana vile?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

Baron von Eevl posted:

Yeah, I mean the Basterds were inglorious and they were bastards but I think vile is maybe a bit much. Also remember the German sniper who was hailed as a hero and then had his little meltdown because Shoshana wouldn't date him? Also was Shoshana vile?

No of course not, she was the most sympathetic and had clear personal stakes.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
The Basterds have two non-Jewish members right? Stiglitz and Aldo Raine?

bitterandtwisted posted:

No of course not, she was the most sympathetic and had clear personal stakes.

Don't all the Jews have clear personal stakes in defeating Hitler?

peer
Jan 17, 2004

this is not what I wanted
wish I could say this was the first time I'd heard "the jews are unsympathetic because they hate nazis so much"

it IS however the first time I've seen it followed up by "also the nazis were sympathetic"

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

Baron von Eevl posted:

Post Your Favorite (or Request): Coldly Compiled Lists > PYF Subltle Movie Moments: The Jewish heroes were vile and the Nazis were mostly sympathetic

You laugh but that is how they were portrayed. The Bear Jew scene has Pitt's crew towering over and torturing a defeated enemy, using cinematic language that places them as the dastardly villains of a pulp film while the traditional heroic role is reserved for the Nazi characters (in that scene alone. Landa is always villainous in his scenes). Then the Nazi characters get murdered after surrendering. I think Tarantino was trying to tell a joke but I'm not sure what the punchline is except cruelty.

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

peer posted:

wish I could say this was the first time I'd heard "the jews are unsympathetic because they hate nazis so much"
I did not say that at all.

quote:

it IS however the first time I've seen it followed up by "also the nazis were sympathetic"

I can't believe I have to clarify this but this was a complaint I had about the movie
Our heroes are mutilating prisoners who beg for mercy

peer
Jan 17, 2004

this is not what I wanted

bitterandtwisted posted:

In what way were they unsympathetic (or vile), if not in their treatment of people who want them dead merely for existing?

bitterandtwisted posted:

I can't believe I have to clarify this but this was a complaint I had about the movie

I understand that you think the movie portrayed jews as vile and nazis as sympathetic, I'm just not really seeing it myself

edit. I don't doubt for a second that QT is a piece of poo poo and has some hosed up politics, I'm just not seeing this specific complaint about this movie

peer has a new favorite as of 14:21 on Jan 1, 2019

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

peer posted:

In what way were they unsympathetic (or vile), if not in their treatment of people who want them dead merely for existing?

I understand that you think the movie portrayed jews as vile and nazis as sympathetic, I'm just not really seeing it myself

I don't think the movie portrays Jews negatively, just the basterds themselves, who were unsympathetic because they keep murdering and mutilating prisoners.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

bitterandtwisted posted:

That's a very clear cinematic choice on Tarantino's part. None of the top Nazi's (Hitler, Goebbels, Landa, the guy with an ear for accents) are portrayed well, but all of the German soldiers are generally shown to be three dimensional characters - like Sgt Wilhelm, who just wanted to celebrate the birth of his son. And yes, the Basterds are cruel, but the cruelty is the point since that frightens the German army and makes them seem far more dangerous than they otherwise would be.

Tons of people die in his movies, but none of the deaths are without some kind of weight. Even the Australian racists in Django seemed agreeable enough if you take away the whole slaver part.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

bitterandtwisted posted:

I don't think the movie portrays Jews negatively, just the basterds themselves, who were unsympathetic because they keep murdering and mutilating prisoners.

I think what keeps them from being vile is that the people they were mutilating were literal Nazis. The movie doesn't show them as vile, it shows their cruelty as cool and good. Think of the climax of Death Proof. He's reveling in the catharsis that the Basterds get from scalping Nazis.

edit: I can't believe I have to explain this. Tarantino's entire thesis at this point in his career is revenge; The Bride wants revenge against Bill, the girls from DP want revenge against their tormentor, the Basterds AND Shoshana want revenge, both against Hitler/Naziism as a greater evil and against Landa specifically. The odd thing with this is that it's Shoshana that gets Hitler and the Basterds that get revenge against Landa, not the other way around.

Baron von Eevl has a new favorite as of 16:27 on Jan 1, 2019

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

I’m pretty sure the Basterds get Hitler first.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

I’m pretty sure the Basterds get Hitler first.

They only get the chance once Shoshana's plan fires up tho?

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Yeah, their plan went to poo poo and they only get the chance to riddle his corpse with bullets because of Shoshana.

Olaf The Stout
Oct 16, 2009

FORUMS NO.1 SLEEPY DAWGS MEMESTER

bitterandtwisted posted:

It's a revenge fantasy starring empowered jews against the nazis. The nazis in real life killed 2/3rds of the european population of jews, making them an unambiguous evil. The bastards are running a guerrilla war of terror behind enemy lines in the face of overwhelming odds to win the war and give fight back against the horror of the nazi regime, and they inflect less than a thousandth of the total deaths back onto the nazis.

I can't believe the amount of text I've had to write explaining how nazis were bad guys in the past 2 or 3 years, it's insane.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
This guy is saying that they're framing it like the Nazis are the good guys and the Basterds are awful, but that's only assuming that you're reading the most intentionally deceptive version of the events as possible. Yes, the Basterds surround and beat/murder/mutilate the nazi soldiers. This is portrayed as a good thing and the Basterds are cool for doing it. The violence is shocking and you're supposed to go "holy poo poo, these guys rule, I can't believe I'm rooting for the guy that just scalped that fucker." The nazis are still nazis and you, as a human being with a human brain and a basic knowledge of the context, are supposed to suss this out. It is a movie that makes you cheer along with what should hypothetically seem horrific.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
It's odd because you don't really see a lot of Germans killing people. The Jew Bear shows up after the fight is over and the Nazi squad leader is unarmed. Zollar's combat heroics are dramatized in a movie. Sgt Wilhelm just wants to celebrate his son's birth with his friends. And the real full fledged Nazi's aren't even that good at murder. Landa and Hellstrom are both incredibly evil and only kill one person each (not counting Shoshana's family who Landa orders killed).

This isn't to call them sympathetic, but Tarantino appears to have made an obvious effort to contrast the two sides. The Germans are methodical about their killing and the Basterds aren't. It's almost sanitized to the Nazi's, where Landa only gets his hands dirty in a rage against Von Hammersmark (he even declined to shoot Shoshana when given the chance). Contrast that to the Basterds who are literally choking people with their fists and taking home scalps.

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I had the opportunity to change literally anything about the world and I used it to get a new av
Subtle moment: the Nazis were bad

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

I can't remember where, but I read somewhere that Tarantino deliberately portrayed the Nazi's with 'heroic' style and the Basterds the opposite, purely to demonstrate that it doesn't matter because they're Nazis. No matter how noble and sympathetic they appear they were all working towards a German victory and everything that entailed, so it shouldn't make the slightest bit of difference if they had kids or were brave in the face of death. They were fighting for Hitler, the Basterds were fighting for the Allies, that's all that matters.

Of course that's just one way of thinking, but as far as I understand it was what Tarantino was going for.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Don’t you hate when you out yourself as a nazi sympathizer in the subtle movie thread?

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
Hey, what are we talking about tod--

:yikes:

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
I liked that line in the latest Wolfenstein game where BJ is saying about atrocities committed by Nazis, 'Monsters did this' and he is rebuked with, 'MEN did this'.

Yes, the Nazis were portrayed with cinematic language of the heroes and the basterds protrayed as the villains, brutally killing an unarmed soldier bargaining for the lives of his men and one begging to see his new born son. But also they're nazis so put bullets in them and beat in their heads with bats.

Having sympathy for Nazis gets you a bullet for your trouble as shown with Shoshana.

VanSandman posted:

You laugh but that is how they were portrayed. The Bear Jew scene has Pitt's crew towering over and torturing a defeated enemy, using cinematic language that places them as the dastardly villains of a pulp film while the traditional heroic role is reserved for the Nazi characters (in that scene alone. Landa is always villainous in his scenes). Then the Nazi characters get murdered after surrendering. I think Tarantino was trying to tell a joke but I'm not sure what the punchline is except cruelty.

The joke is cruelty will be dressed up as heroics by fascists.

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

Inglourious Basterds was not a good film because the Jewish protagonists weren't nice enough to the friendly Germans they encountered, who were honourable and brave.
:goonsay:

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

Posting is a mistake

bitterandtwisted has a new favorite as of 23:48 on Jan 1, 2019

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

bitterandtwisted posted:

I just didn't get the catharsis of ... Kill Bill because the Bride ... weren't sadistic.

Posting is a mistake

I think you need to rewatch kill bill

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

bitterandtwisted posted:

The Bride wasn't sadistic

The Bride literally rips out Elle's remaining eye and leaves her, blind and thrashing, in an enclosed area with a venomous, aggressive snake.

To further the connections between Inglorious Basterds, True Romance and Pulp Fiction: Saul Rubinek's character in True Romance is named Lee Donowitz. The Bear Jew is his father, Donny Donowitz.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
I honestly didn't know that nazis were bad until tarantino told me, what would the world do without him to explain these complicated truths

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

bitterandtwisted posted:

So, just to be clear, you think they should have been treated with mercy?

Dragonstoned
Jan 15, 2006

MR. DOG WITH BEES IN HIS MOUTH AND WHEN HE BARKS HE SHOOTS BEES AT YOU
by Roger Hargreaves

Killing 70+ people in extremely violent ways is not sadistic
:goonsay:

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
I do like the idea that the Tarantino universe is That Way because Hitler was shot up in a movie theater.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

beanieson posted:

Subtle moment: the Nazis were bad

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VzuaW8GD3X8

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
This thread inspired me to re-watch Pulp Fiction and I noticed something.

When Marcellus hands Butch is bribe money, it's glowing orange just like the infamous briefcase. For all the talk about what magic mcguffin in the case, I think it's just money and a lighting choice the director made.

There's no sound but look at the lighting on the envelope

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DicYF4RQBnU

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Eh, there's just red lights all over that set. It's also on the right side of Butch's face and Marcellus' right hand when he talks about the sting of pride.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

In Ragnarok, when Thor first arrives at Sakkar, the "World of Pure Imagination" song from Willy Wonka is playing.

I got so wrapped up in the narration that I didn't hear it at all the first time.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Inzombiac posted:

In Ragnarok, when Thor first arrives at Sakkar, the "World of Pure Imagination" song from Willy Wonka is playing.

I got so wrapped up in the narration that I didn't hear it at all the first time.

He's also traveling through a tunnel-of-hell mindfuck at the moment, so it's definitely on the nose.

Arc Hammer has a new favorite as of 06:29 on Jan 2, 2019

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I love seeing Americans talk about how Tarantino paints the Nazis in the traditionally heroic way, cause for obvious reasons, in Germany there's no such tradition of portraying the clean-cut soldiers and brave lieutenants protecting their men as the heroes so to us they're just all Nazis. It's always a bit revealing about you guys' media and military movie culture.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
I'm with Lindsay Ellis on this one (badly paraphrasing): when you use cinematic visual language to portray something, people are going to remember the message left by the cinematic language, not the script and not outside context (and yes, the characters being part of the world's worst war machine is outside context to the film's limited text). So I get Tarantino's joke, I guess, but I don't think it was very effective.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

VanSandman posted:

I'm with Lindsay Ellis on this one (badly paraphrasing): when you use cinematic visual language to portray something, people are going to remember the message left by the cinematic language, not the script and not outside context

True, people quite often don't understand artistic irony and end up confused.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

VanSandman posted:

I'm with Lindsay Ellis on this one (badly paraphrasing): when you use cinematic visual language to portray something, people are going to remember the message left by the cinematic language, not the script and not outside context (and yes, the characters being part of the world's worst war machine is outside context to the film's limited text). So I get Tarantino's joke, I guess, but I don't think it was very effective.

Yes, that's why Tarantino probably shouldn't have filmed those Nazis in such a heroic light, such as - check's notes - machine-gunning a defenseless Jewish family to death.

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy
Sure have been, like, a lot of loving nazi apologists in the thread these past two days :psyduck:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

Queen Combat posted:

Sure have been, like, a lot of loving nazi apologists in the thread these past two days :psyduck:

Nobody's a Nazi apologist you moron. People are saying the way Tarantino frames the Nazi characters in a few scenes as either victims or normal people makes them uncomfortable because the Nazis were capital E evil. It's criticism of Tarantino, not saying 'boy those poor Nazis.'