Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?

Leal posted:

I don't think books are supposed to be this big. What did I gently caress up? I only installed MGE-EX, Morrowind Code Patch and Delayed DB Attacks.
Morrowind: Large Print Edition.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kazr
Jan 28, 2005

A counter strike "rats" map style mod where you have to heavily rely on levitation and jump to move around would be awesome. It would be as easy as creating a new race that was 2 inches tall

Proletarian Mango
May 21, 2011

Leal posted:

I don't think books are supposed to be this big. What did I gently caress up? I only installed MGE-EX, Morrowind Code Patch and Delayed DB Attacks.

Thats weird, never seen that before.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Could be a shader, there's that zoom one used in a scripted "close inspection" mod.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Addamere posted:

this; it's also why i've since asked insane radical questions like "does anyone have a hosted morrowind folder with all these steps already done"?

given the choice between :effort: and not guess what wins

There are so many different versions of everything its up to you to decide which you like best.

When one person chooses you get mgso, which at release was still poo poo

frogge
Apr 7, 2006

Got this weird bug where even the stuff I picked up from the guild chests counts as stolen and confiscated if I get picked up by the guards. Even some soul gems I bought, although I did steal a few; they shouldn't all be tagged as stolen, right?

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

All I can think of is, check out who owns the items with the “tfh” console command, it’ll add ownership info to tooltips

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Meyers-Briggs Testicle posted:

There are so many different versions of everything its up to you to decide which you like best.

When one person chooses you get mgso, which at release was still poo poo

It was so poo poo that it was linked in the OP of this thread for years. :nallears:

I've said pretty much this exact thing before: other heavily-modded games often have no issue having one-and-done modpack installers, some with support for modular choices like the Lazy Newb Pack for Dwarf Fortress. It should be so easy and simple for one of the many people who respond how easy and simple it is to just install the handful of essential mods to make a modpack installer that does exactly that, but instead there is this weird cultural aversion to it that seems specific to Morrowind.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Addamere posted:

It was so poo poo that it was linked in the OP of this thread for years. :nallears:

I've said pretty much this exact thing before: other heavily-modded games often have no issue having one-and-done modpack installers, some with support for modular choices like the Lazy Newb Pack for Dwarf Fortress. It should be so easy and simple for one of the many people who respond how easy and simple it is to just install the handful of essential mods to make a modpack installer that does exactly that, but instead there is this weird cultural aversion to it that seems specific to Morrowind.

Most games dont have the robust scene morrowind does. Sorry dude! There isnt a one size fits all solution! Well, there is, mgexe. That, and upsamplex textures are 90% of it.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Addamere posted:

have you actually used mgso dude? it's loving trash in every single possible way. it does absolutely nothing well.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

like, in addition to how goddamn awful everything in mgso looks thanks to it including a bunch of unrelated texture packs, and how awful it makes the game sound because gently caress trying to do any sort of sane equalization on the added sound effects, mgso makes the game run way the gently caress worse and greatly decreases its stability. there's literally no reason whatsoever to use mgso under any circumstances, if your whole argument is that the 5 minutes it takes to download other, far better mods is too much work then you are far better off just playing vanilla.

i mean gently caress man with the new texture mod that just algorithm'd the default textures up a whole shitload, you just need that and mge xe anyway. mgso is only a good option if you have a desperate desire to make your experience with morrowind a whole lot worse in every single possible way. i don't even know why we're even having this discussion, i'm pretty sure this thread spent like multiple pages a few months ago going over how mgso is a burning tire fire of poo poo and piss.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Instead of just making GBS threads on MGSO, here is an actual reminder of how bad the MGSO texture and mesh choices can be. This is Lord's Mail (MGSO on the right):

Proletarian Mango
May 21, 2011

I thought installing and setting up mods was how you played the game tbh

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

have you actually used mgso dude? it's loving trash in every single possible way. it does absolutely nothing well.

yes. it is better than unmodded.

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

i mean gently caress man with the new texture mod that just algorithm'd the default textures up a whole shitload, you just need that and mge xe anyway.

Several people have pointed out that you just need X, Y, and Z, for basic improvements, and it's nbd.

Still waiting on that forthcoming "Just the basic X, Y, and Z you need, NBD" modpack/installer.

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Upmarket Mango posted:

I thought installing and setting up mods was how you played the game tbh

I remember back in the mid-oughts figuring out Wrye Mash and some python thing and juggling dozens of mods and having a mods folder that had numbered subfolders so I could remember in what order to install things - which was a different order than the load order because of course it was - and while that is a perfectly valid choice for someone in exactly the same way power-leveling alchemy and zooming around is as an invincible mage is a perfectly valid play style it is not better or more correct to do it that way than it is to want a simple modpack or installer in exactly the same way it is also okay to just pick up an axe and go meleeing dudes.

A less fiddly experience is not inherently bad.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Addamere posted:

Several people have pointed out that you just need X, Y, and Z, for basic improvements, and it's nbd.

Still waiting on that forthcoming "Just the basic X, Y, and Z you need, NBD" modpack/installer.

The STEP/pastebin guides work pretty well and are designed to be lore-friendly and follow the original art direction, but granted they take a while to install.

e: I still delete a few wood textures from them though, but that's relatively minor.

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 15:14 on Jan 2, 2019

Proletarian Mango
May 21, 2011

Addamere posted:

I remember back in the mid-oughts figuring out Wrye Mash and some python thing and juggling dozens of mods and having a mods folder that had numbered subfolders so I could remember in what order to install things - which was a different order than the load order because of course it was - and while that is a perfectly valid choice for someone in exactly the same way power-leveling alchemy and zooming around is as an invincible mage is a perfectly valid play style it is not better or more correct to do it that way than it is to want a simple modpack or installer in exactly the same way it is also okay to just pick up an axe and go meleeing dudes.

A less fiddly experience is not inherently bad.

It's easier than that nowadays. Mod Organizer 2 really does make installing and managing mods a snap. It ensures archives are packaged correctly automatically when you add a mod. Then it's just a matter of checking the box next to it to enable it. It color codes anything that's out of order and rearranging is simply drag and drop. If you want to uninstall a mod then you just need to uncheck it to disable it. Sure, it's not a mod pack, but it's a mod manager that is leaps and bounds beyond the old school way of doing things. You can even link your Nexus Mods account so you can download mods straight into MO2 as you browse the site.

That all said, here's a no-nonsense modpack for Morrowind that I put together for this thread back in June when this discussion came up then. It's more or less the same as what I posted, but even less. There's no MSWE mods, for example. Just MGXE and the "patch for purists".

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1_5h61Jf5cVtvzU97-OmAuPAl0KtbgS1c

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Upmarket Mango posted:

It's easier than that nowadays. Mod Organizer 2 really does make installing and managing mods a snap. It ensures archives are packaged correctly automatically when you add a mod. Then it's just a matter of checking the box next to it to enable it. It color codes anything that's out of order and rearranging is simply drag and drop. If you want to uninstall a mod then you just need to uncheck it to disable it. Sure, it's not a mod pack, but it's a mod manager that is leaps and bounds beyond the old school way of doing things. You can even link your Nexus Mods account so you can download mods straight into MO2 as you browse the site.

That all said, here's a no-nonsense modpack for Morrowind that I put together for this thread back in June when this discussion came up then. It's more or less the same as what I posted, but even less. There's no MSWE mods, for example. Just MGXE and the "patch for purists".

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1_5h61Jf5cVtvzU97-OmAuPAl0KtbgS1c

MO2 sounds like whatever it is that I used to use for Kerbal Space Program, or the Curse mod manager thing that was popular with TBC-era wow. I'll check it out!

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

Gyshall posted:

Instead of just making GBS threads on MGSO, here is an actual reminder of how bad the MGSO texture and mesh choices can be. This is Lord's Mail (MGSO on the right):

Now THAT'S lordly

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

SniperWoreConverse posted:

Now THAT'S lordly

right? you know you made it as a lord when you can wear that monstrosity and no one snickers, because they know better

smh, just smdh in fact, about any naysayer itt who would snicker at the idea of wearing this beautiful trainwreck

why dont you love yoursef? :smith:

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Addamere posted:

yes. it is better than unmodded.

i mean sure, if you enjoy a less stable game with worse framerate, longer loading times, worse visuals and worse sound effects, then yeah i guess mgso is better than playing unmodded. for people who aren't actual idiots with the worst taste on the planet, mgso is a godawful trainwreck of garbage that makes the game worse in every single measurable way.

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

i mean sure, if you enjoy a less stable game with worse framerate, longer loading times, worse visuals and worse sound effects, then yeah i guess mgso is better than playing unmodded. for people who aren't actual idiots with the worst taste on the planet, mgso is a godawful trainwreck of garbage that makes the game worse in every single measurable way.

we must be thinking of entirely different things because the mgso i am thinking of had stuff like better bodies and faces, transparent and reflective water, flora and fauna textures, skybox art, and a draw distance that made you able to clearly see the temple in vivec from seyda neen

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Addamere posted:

we must be thinking of entirely different things because the mgso i am thinking of had stuff like better bodies and faces, transparent and reflective water, flora and fauna textures, skybox art, and a draw distance that made you able to clearly see the temple in vivec from seyda neen

Again, 90% of that is mgexe lol

Mgexe, rescaled texture mod, better bodies

Thats 3 downloads, PLEASE MAKE A MOD PACK PLEASEEEEE

ambient oatmeal
Jun 23, 2012

Wait people don't just throw everything in Data Files

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Again, 90% of that is mgexe lol

Mgexe, rescaled texture mod, better bodies

Thats 3 downloads, PLEASE MAKE A MOD PACK PLEASEEEEE

Sounds like it'd be pretty easy to make one, but no one's asking you to do it.

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?

keyboard vomit posted:

Wait people don't just throw everything in Data Files

I do! There's some tool that handles setting mod order, which I forget because I haven't been playing lately, but my current setup is thoroughly the same WE'RE DOIN' IT LIVE modding that I practiced back when the game was new. (Mod Organizer 2's Morrowind compatibility came after the last time I made a new Morrowind install.)

Dumbfire Rocketman
Jul 30, 2009

a drunk european baby
is putting u in ur place

I use openmw with no mods, AMA

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Just get yourself OpenMW, Tamriel Rebuilt, and make sure to add the original Bethesda released official plugins, and call it a day. I find despite as many mods as I've installed since the game's release, I've never played through most of them. I realized I liked the idea of a huge expanded game but in practice I still puttered around doing the same things every game. Well not anymore! I've taken back the power, and now I decide that I won't need to add stuff until I've exhausted the vanilla game (I count TR as vanilla now) and then i'll be ready!

Poniard
Apr 3, 2011

Dumbfire Rocketman posted:

I use openmw with no mods, AMA

I do this a lot too

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

chaosapiant posted:

make sure to add the original Bethesda released official plugins

:chloe:

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Why? They're official, they're free, and there's no reason not add them.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Don’t do the Siege of Firemoth, it’s loving terrible

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

chaosapiant posted:

Why? They're official, they're free, and there's no reason not add them.

None of them are good, much less 'all of them'

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

None of them are good, much less 'all of them'

There's a plugin that does nothing but add a new medium armour to the game, which is fine depending on what texture mods you use for it.

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

Jay Rust posted:

Siege of Firemoth is amazing for one particular mindset.

It's not often Morrowind gives you the option "why not fight one hundred skeletons at once?"

If you want something other than just undead-murder, though, it's pretty lacking.

Flinger
Oct 16, 2012

Jay Rust posted:

Looks like we got us a troublemaker here, don't want to murder a thousand skeletons HUH?!? weirdo

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Propylon Master Index quest is an improvement imo

The others are almost not worth unzipping.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Flinger posted:

Looks like we got us a troublemaker here, don't want to murder a thousand skeletons HUH?!? weirdo

Why can't I join them

Why can't I unleash my inner skeleton

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Entropy238
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
The official plugins are OK. Nothing groundbreaking but worth the install imo, especially for the master propylon quest, area of effect arrows and firemoth.