Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

Aramek posted:

If any of you say you like to play in first person I'm gonna throw up.

I'll say it

I'd be lying, but I'll say it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Aramek posted:

Mouse/keyboard and first person exclusively. :smugdog:

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Grand Fromage posted:

is that not normal? It's an elder scrolls game.

e: It's skyrim online but good.

Oceanbound
Jan 19, 2008

Time to let the dead be dead.
I spent x hours playing before I even realized there was 3rd person

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

I stopped playing Skyrim because I didn’t realize you could play in third person. :downs:

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben
I exclusively played in third-person during the brief time I played Skyrim (right after I finished Dark Souls), and it mostly served to draw attention to the jankiness of the combat. Plus the setting was so dreary, the towns so huge and full of unimportant stuff to interact with, and, ugh, why do I even bother continuing to give this series a chance when it's obvious I'm never going to like it? :v:

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Turtlicious posted:

is that not normal? It's an elder scrolls game.

e: It's skyrim online but good.

Apparently there are all these weirdos using console controllers on PC games. :shrug:

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

I decided to start playing this again after a very long break. Could I get an invite for @graptolite?

I stopped a bit before Morrowind came out. Would the cheapest way for me to get that be to just buy the base game again since that now appears to include Morrowind? I saw it on sale at various sites for $10. I’m not interested in a sub at the moment. Right now I have the gold edition or whatever it’s called that unlocks the extra guilds plus Wrothgar.

Reclaimer
Sep 3, 2011

Pierced through the heart
but never killed

Rollersnake posted:

I exclusively played in third-person during the brief time I played Skyrim (right after I finished Dark Souls), and it mostly served to draw attention to the jankiness of the combat. Plus the setting was so dreary, the towns so huge and full of unimportant stuff to interact with, and, ugh, why do I even bother continuing to give this series a chance when it's obvious I'm never going to like it? :v:

There are actually a bunch of mods you can drop in to make it very similar to Dark Souls, with lock-on and an untethered camera- and even dodge-rolls. It's pretty fun like that.

zjentohlauedy
Feb 27, 2006

Bad sportsmanship. A ruthless minority of people seem to have forgotten good old-fashioned virtues. They just can't stand seeing the other fellow w

Dr. S.O. Feelgood posted:

I decided to start playing this again after a very long break. Could I get an invite for @graptolite?

I stopped a bit before Morrowind came out. Would the cheapest way for me to get that be to just buy the base game again since that now appears to include Morrowind? I saw it on sale at various sites for $10. I’m not interested in a sub at the moment. Right now I have the gold edition or whatever it’s called that unlocks the extra guilds plus Wrothgar.

Morrowind is a DLC now.

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.
I didn't know it would be so stupid.
Question for controller using PC goons: How do you aim your abilities while moving? Do you grow an extra thumb on your right hand to use the face buttons and right stick at the same time? I can't figure how it's supposed to work.

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

Now I do not know whether I was then a head coach dreaming I was a Saints fan, or whether I am now a Saints fan, dreaming I am a head coach.

Coldforge posted:

Question for controller using PC goons: How do you aim your abilities while moving? Do you grow an extra thumb on your right hand to use the face buttons and right stick at the same time? I can't figure how it's supposed to work.

Felt like the game autoaims like mad?

I didn't raid or anything, so movement was less of an issue through my playing. I've been told weaving attacks is more difficult with the controller for cancelling, though.

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

zjentohlauedy posted:

Morrowind is a DLC now.

Yeah, but it seems in order to get it I would either have to get a sub which I don't want or to buy 3500 crowns which is like $25 right now. I was wondering if buying this would just unlock Morrowind for me, even though I already own the base game.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben

Coldforge posted:

I only map aim abilities to shoulder buttons. This is theoretically an issue because I like R1 for spammables, but I can't imagine any situation where I'd need to use more than three (lightweight beast trap, caltrops, and endless rain for bow warden).

Edit: This is why I never use Elemental Ring, though. I like to do back bar resto staff with magicka DPS, and L1 and R1 on the main bar are taken up by an aiming class skill and spammable. I'd like to use it with some builds, but there's no good place to put it.

Rollersnake fucked around with this message at 05:39 on Jan 2, 2019

Airspace
Nov 5, 2010

Aramek posted:

Go grab your barf bag, for I enjoy playing in first person casually.

When I do anything requiring positioning, I switch to third person.

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.
I didn't know it would be so stupid.

Rollersnake posted:

I only map aim abilities to shoulder buttons. This is theoretically an issue because I like R1 for spammables, but I can't imagine any situation where I'd need to use more than three (lightweight beast trap, caltrops, and endless rain for bow warden).

That makes perfect sense, thank you! I've got the rest of my controller config the way I like it, but the face buttons have been throwing me off.

doomfunk
Feb 29, 2008

oh come on was that really necessary
all over my fine carpet!!
I cannot adequately describe how I do it. I use a light touch on both sticks, and kind of glide my thumb over the stick to press any face button I need while steering my camera. Old Dark Souls habit.

I think I'll start mapping my targets to R1/L1 though, that's a wise call.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Grand Fromage posted:

:same:

Really bugs me how glitchy first person mode gets tho. Certain circumstances cause the camera to blink back to third person for a half second and sometimes mounting up will cause the camera to get stuck in TP. Now that I've gotten used to enemy attack patterns, I don't even feel any pressure w/r/t red circles. I'm sure that'd be a bit different if I cared about proper group content though.

Also I marathoned through all of the PVE content in Cyrodiil yesterday and I hate myself.

Small Bipedal Cat
Dec 12, 2018
I played during the CB and early launch but dropped the game soon after. I'm now coming back with a friend since we both picked up Summerset and I have some simpleton questions:

1. What is the optimal way of attacking long-form? Am I supposed to be mashing M1 for light attacks as filler? Should I be spamming skills and then spamming power attacks to recover stamina? What's the proper "flow?"
2. Is it possible to shift one of my characters from Tank to Healer or vice versa? Can you reach a point where you have Resto. Staf/ Two-Hand / Sword and Shield all maxed?
3. Are there any builds that I can easily take between PvE and PvP?

chombo
Sep 11, 2001

Could I get a guild invite for @discorduroy?

I'm really enjoying this game after a week and am surprised I put it off for years.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Small Bipedal Cat posted:

I played during the CB and early launch but dropped the game soon after. I'm now coming back with a friend since we both picked up Summerset and I have some simpleton questions:

1. What is the optimal way of attacking long-form? Am I supposed to be mashing M1 for light attacks as filler? Should I be spamming skills and then spamming power attacks to recover stamina? What's the proper "flow?"
2. Is it possible to shift one of my characters from Tank to Healer or vice versa? Can you reach a point where you have Resto. Staf/ Two-Hand / Sword and Shield all maxed?

I'm the farthest thing from an expert so I'll avoid answering anything else but there's a crapload of skill points available if you make sure to track down all of the skyshards and do all of the main quests. Three weapon skillsets (and possibly two armor sets?) all maxed out might make for a bit of a pinch (really just thanks to the passives), but it also depends on what else you're dumping points into between main skills, guild skills, DLC skills, and crafting skills. Respecs are pretty cheap though so I doubt it would be too hard to cut out any extraneous skills/morphs and use those points elsewhere if needed.

Zabkable
Jul 20, 2004

eternally frustrated
I'm back on my bullshit again and I need to chill with the chill bros please, @Zabkable

hot date tonight!
Jan 13, 2009

Slippery Tilde

You should be using a light attack between each skill use, ideally casting the skill immediately after the light attack to cancel the animation from the light attack. If you do it right you won't even see the light attack happen but the damage will hit. Most rotations tend to use one heavy attack per rotation for stamina/magicka recovery, but don't neglect your food buffs.

Nerd Of Prey
Aug 10, 2002

So last night I was looking at a character in a green-dyed bather's towel and thought, "heh, she looks like Jill of the Jungle."

Then I thought... wait a minute, if that name is actually available then I have a loving job to do.

Ohhhhh shiiiiiiiiiit

Now I just need to run around Grahtwood senselessly murdering literally every living thing in my path...

Or find a prince to save, I guess.

Anybody got a favorite stamina warden build...? I figured big gnarly knives and nature powers were the right way to go.

As Pusha T said, "If you ain't get it, you ain't live it."

...Actually here's a good video if you want in on the joke: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h4IArecoE_c&t=23s

LastGoodBoy
Sep 7, 2014

Keep your mind be open window everyday

Rollersnake posted:

It's a matter of preference, though to me playing ESO with a mouse & keyboard makes about as much sense as playing Dark Souls with a mouse & keyboard. I have some slight issues with the default gamepad controls, particularly skill bar swap being on left d-pad, but I assume the console versions let you remap this.

Also, very few goons play this on XBox, in case PC's also an option for you.

You assume wrong. I never have that issue, though. I have big hands and can hit left on the d-pad with my right thumb with no problem.

LastGoodBoy
Sep 7, 2014

Keep your mind be open window everyday

Zabkable posted:

I'm back on my bullshit again and I need to chill with the chill bros please, @Zabkable

I got you, bro

count_von_count
Nov 6, 2012

1. What hot date said, the term to search for is 'weaving'.
2. Totally possible. You just have to keep in mind that the effectiveness of most skills is tied to your attributes, so a skill that uses mag will hit harder as your max mag increases. Switching between healer and tank is a special case b/c of this (tanks usually have a bit more stam than mag while healers usually go all mag, there are healtank builds but I'm not too familiar with them), but having a stam DPS that can tank or a mag DPS that can heal isn't hard, you just need a gear set for each role and the relevant skills leveled. The caveat is you're not going to be able to excel at both roles, but for the vast majority of the game content (eg not leaderboard vet trial runs) you'll be fine.
3. I don't do a ton of PvP, but when I do I just throw on a different set of gear (sometimes not even that) and another set of skills.

Bottom line is ESO makes it easy to try out new builds/roles/skills, so feel free to try stuff out. Also hit me up in chat (@count_voncount) if you need some leveling gear.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
I finished up the God of Schemes after 175 hours of questing through Daggerfall Covenant and Coldharbour zones. It's been a fun journey.

Due to being a lore sperge. I'm not really sure whether to do the other faction questlines first because those apparently happen in some alt-timeline or move forward with the DLC stories. I've read different faction NPCs will knowledge what you've done for them in the later content. Which seems weird to me to have three factions go, "this our champion", but I've read there's at least one being from outside time and space that notes if you've done the three faction questlines.

Anyway I've put to much thought into this. Here's a thing:

https://twitter.com/ClassyKatie/status/1081263367904509952

quote:

Adventurer,

I have been following your progress with interest and deemed you worthy of rendering assistance. Knowledge has come into my possession with will help me end the misguided Three Banners War and restore peace to Tamriel. You shall accompany me. Be ready to answer my summons and answer it quickly. I hate to be kept waiting.

Sincerely,

High Chancellor Abnur Tharn

OhFunny fucked around with this message at 08:29 on Jan 5, 2019

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
Is the typo yours or Abnurs?

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

OhFunny posted:

I finished up the God of Schemes after 175 hours of questing through Daggerfall Covenant and Coldharbour zones. It's been a fun journey.

Due to being a lore sperge. I'm not really sure whether to do the other faction questlines first because those apparently happen in some alt-timeline or move forward with the DLC stories. I've read different faction NPCs will knowledge what you've done for them in the later content. Which seems weird to me to have three factions go, "this our champion", but I've read there's at least one being from outside time and space that notes if you've done the three faction questlines.

Grats, Daggerfall buddy!

I'd say it's worth doing the other factions first unless you want a change of pace with the Thieves Guild and Brotherhood stuff (and even then, you'd still have an easier time if you had the full travel network opened). Despite all of the newer content there are some gems in the faction questlines and they'll set up some of the side characters that come back later.

The writing can get a bit...odd, though. For instance, I just had to look up how a major character from the Aldmeri main quests can show up in Summerset even if he dies before that...turns out the answer is "well actually even though the quest choice says he'll die he just doesn't, because reasons". Meanwhile the choice to save him has pretty tangible consequences...which he doesn't acknowledge later anyway. Bad.

And on a related note, I'm incredibly disappointed with the Summerset MQ because it features a false choice so false that taking it isn't even properly acknowledged by the game. You just immediately start doing the exact thing you just said you weren't going to do. They even throw in some vague justifications for why you're doing what you're doing, so why even pretend to have that choice if you're going to be railroaded either way?

John Murdoch fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Jan 5, 2019

Reclaimer
Sep 3, 2011

Pierced through the heart
but never killed

John Murdoch posted:

I'm incredibly disappointed with the Summerset MQ because it features a false choice so false that taking it isn't even properly acknowledged by the game. You just immediately start doing the exact thing you just said you weren't going to do. They even throw in some vague justifications for why you're doing what you're doing, so why even pretend to have that choice if you're going to be railroaded either way?

:aaaaa: I thought I was the only person who had serious issues with this. I actually stopped playing that questline for a week just because I didn't wanna buy into it.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

John Murdoch posted:

Grats, Daggerfall buddy!

-snip-

Thanks for the advice. I did hop ahead and did The Queen's Degree so I could unlock the Pysjic Order and grab a skill I wanted, but I'll do the faction quests next. I've followed Alcast's two-handed Dragonknight build and while it's been fun. It sometime's feels real fragile. I'm not sure if that's because I haven't grabbed all the secondary skills (especially the 30% reduced damage when using Pysjic abilities) or if that's just the nature of the build.

Dying while questing is frustrating for me since it so rarely happened in WoW or FFXIV as I quested as a tank.

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Cutest tumor in all of Oncology!
The main difference is that because this is an elder scrolls game everybody is kind of expected to be able to do everything to a certain degree during solo play. So you need to be able to DPS, take a hit, and sustain yourself all at the same time.

You can totally play as a tank but it is an extremely miserable experience because while you are much much tougher that doesn't matter for most of the solo content, what it does do is so severely hamper your DPS that every fight still takes a long time and drains your resources.

I think the easiest to play class combination is Magicka Templar. Your main attack is a cone spammable that not only hits everything in front of you but heals you for 40% of the damage that you deal. So, in 99% of solo situations, it's "pull whole room while mashing 2."

In my opinion the second easiest is Magicka nightblade and I give a caveat to this because the skill ceiling on nightblade is incredibly high but just tooling around with them is fun and easy. You lack a lot of AOE especially early on but your main attack is a single Target spell that also heals you.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Datamining pulled Necromancer class and Elsewyr as the new feature/location for the next chapter, respectively

Only registered members can see post attachments!

ExParrot
May 6, 2013

Are you suggesting coconuts migrate?
i neeeeeeed necromancer to be a class right now

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Cutest tumor in all of Oncology!
Add vampire and Khajiit and you get a Neko Neckromancer.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

OhFunny posted:

Thanks for the advice. I did hop ahead and did The Queen's Degree so I could unlock the Pysjic Order and grab a skill I wanted, but I'll do the faction quests next. I've followed Alcast's two-handed Dragonknight build and while it's been fun. It sometime's feels real fragile. I'm not sure if that's because I haven't grabbed all the secondary skills (especially the 30% reduced damage when using Pysjic abilities) or if that's just the nature of the build.

Dying while questing is frustrating for me since it so rarely happened in WoW or FFXIV as I quested as a tank.

The Psijic passives + morphing Imbue Weapon to Crushing Weapon (if you haven't already) will certainly help, but you do also have the option of eschewing Alcast's hyper-optimized build for something more explicitly solo-friendly.

YMMV, but aside from taking some pointers from Alcast (I wasn't using Venomous Claw or Flawless Dawnbreaker yet, oops) I went in a whole different direction with the end result being a build that can both deal appreciable damage and take enough hits to solo just about everything, albeit needing to pop the occasional potion against public dungeon stuff and some of the more assholish Dolmen fatties (and some of that is probably down to not running with a food/drink buff 99% of the time 'cause I usually forget they exist). I'm running all heavy armor and 2/3 stamina 1/3 health for attributes. CPs are just kinda whatever looks good and working towards the bonus passives I want.

Of course coincidentally I've also just unlocked the Psijic skills and the one thing my build lacks is active sustain outside of chipping away at the 6000 crown tri-potions I've accrued. Problem is, I'm not sure what to bump for Crushing Weapon...

Mr. Carrier Pigeon
Aug 22, 2013

Those birds certainly know what they're doin'!
Ironically, using Venomous Claw would actually help your sustain as it is cheap as hell and also activates a resource return passive in the DK toolkit. Also does rad damage. Use the claw. Love the claw.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Unlockable Ben
Haha, nice, I guessed that Elsweyr would be next after seeing multiple references to it in Murkmire, but I thought I might be wrong since we haven't had a Covenant chapter since Wrothgar.

Though it is kind of a shame I'm already playing the exact necromancer I'd want to make, as a Templar.

Rollersnake fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Jan 6, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Mr. Carrier Pigeon posted:

Ironically, using Venomous Claw would actually help your sustain as it is cheap as hell and also activates a resource return passive in the DK toolkit. Also does rad damage. Use the claw. Love the claw.

Oh, I'm already using Claw. I'm taking about health sustain specifically. The only bit of that I get is from the passive that converts ultimate points spent into resources, and since Dawnbreaker is so cheap it's only a minor boost. Otherwise my main splat protection comes from Unstoppable.

John Murdoch fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Jan 6, 2019