Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
A few posts up there's a link to the one they bought.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Wibbleman posted:

So which one did you get? the 8" or the 10"? (or even the 10 pro).

I am also considering a replacement for my TabS 8.4 which while it still runs needs a factory default before being "promoted" to being the kids tablet.

Sorry, I got the 8.4. Since the 10 has the power & volume on the bottom in portrait mode (and that's mainly how I use it), I decided against it. The price has gone back up to $319 on Amazon, though.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

The power button on the 10 still takes a push to activate and most cases for it put some plastic/rubber around the button so you have to deliberately press it. I harp on this because online reviews made the portrait power button seem like a much larger liability than it's been in practice for me. I've had mine for months and had no accidental presses yet, including when I read comics in bed without the case (power button all but leaning against my leg).

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost
You could also simply rotate the tablet 180° and then the power button would be located on the top.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

SpaceGoatFarts posted:

You could also simply rotate the tablet 180° and then the power button would be located on the top.

I'd been wondering why no one had mentioned this.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

1) Not every app will rotate when you do that.
2) I, personally, do not want the buttons on the top or bottom. It's bad enough Power and Volume are on the same side, meaning I hit power when trying to change the volume.

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003
Ended up buying the Mi Pad 4, got the Chinese 4GB/64GB wifi model 25% off during a Christmas sale. It's pretty good! Can't really compare to other modern tablets since my last one was that iPad mini 1 I mentioned before but this one is everything I wanted. It looks great, feels lighting fast, runs everything I want (don't watch streaming stuff so haven't tried that), has good battery life and it was painless getting Google services on it. So far the only downsides are the need to relearn my grip since the bezel is tiny and some minor idiosyncrasies with the OS; stuff like the lack of icon sorting or an easy way to rotate wallpapers that I imagine can be fixed with one of those launchers or custom ROMs people like to use. I don't know that much about Android outside emulators.

The only feature I can't really use is this thing's version of Siri because it's Chinese only. I don't think the proper international version even has it though.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

I recommend using Nova launcher to get a more common android experience. As for google assistant, I don't know if you just need to get the apk or whatever for it since all my devices right now are Android One or my Nexus 7 2013 so kind of stopped caring about custom stuff.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012
Welp, Kindle Fire HD 10 with Play Store and Nova Launcher is a lot more pleasant than a Nexus 7 2013. Extremely minimal loving around required to get it usable (developer options, apps from unknown sources, download and install Google apks, turn on some accessibility thing to be able to pick Nova as the launcher), though if you're not willing to do that minimal amount, I really can't recommend it with only the Amazon App store and default Amazon launcher. I got a used AWD one in "acceptable" condition that came like new for $75+tax, and it's definitely worth at least that much. I'd probably still try to save a little more and go for a 2018 base iPad on sale for $250 or whatever rather than a full price Fire for $150, but for $100ish or less, it's a good cheap competitor.

Virtue
Jan 7, 2009

Are there any newish tablets around the size of an ipad mini? All I'd use it for is casual media consumption like watching videos on public transit. Cheap is ideal.

Edit: Currently looking at a kindle fire 8" and a samsung galaxy tab A 8"

Virtue fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Jan 15, 2019

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

beerinator posted:

I know this was posted a couple weeks ago, so my response might not help, but I bought an HP Chromebook X2 in early December and am a pretty big fan so far.

It's a little large for me when in tablet mode, but I'm really only using it that way on the couch. I've taken it on a few flights and it's a great size for media/movie consumption that way.

I mostly read comics on it and watch youtube or videos, but the keyboard is almost full size and it is easy to type on. Because of android apps, I can write/update web code and VPN into my work stuff so I don't really need to bring my work laptop on trips.

The only thing I really didn't like was how bright white/silver the back of the tablet was. I bought a black skin for a 15 inch laptop on amazon and used an x-acto knife and fixed that problem up really quickly. Now it looks like any other tiny black laptop/tablet.

Awesome, thank you!

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Virtue posted:

Are there any newish tablets around the size of an ipad mini? All I'd use it for is casual media consumption like watching videos on public transit. Cheap is ideal.

Edit: Currently looking at a kindle fire 8" and a samsung galaxy tab A 8"

Fire HD 8 is a great pick for "cheap and can watch movies"!

I'm not certain how the Fire HD 8 works wrt completely divorcing it from the lovely Amazon software (especially the launcher) but within any given app it should work great for your use. Getting Google Play Store on it is a must, take a about 5 minutes to set up.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

My folks both have 2016 Samsung Tab-A tablets. Everything about them seems fine but they have one major complaint that I’ve validated. Whenever they’re watching YouTube or Netflix and go to pause the video, they need to hit the screen repeatedly and forcefully for the pause button to appear.

I’ve verified this in YouTube but haven’t really had a chance to validate Netflix but I’m not above believing what they say. Touch on the rest of the tablet seems to be 100% functional and extremely responsive. Is the any kind of setting that may affect this?

My father also has an old galaxy tablet that doesn’t suffer from this at all. I don’t know if this is an android problem, a hardware problem, or a YouTube problem. I’ve verified it happens so I’m willing to rule out user error.

I’m mostly familiar with apple tablets so unfortunately I haven’t been able to offer them any advice.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Has anyone been able to get the Showtime app from the Play Store working on a Fire HD 8? It gives me some "library missing" error.

The Showtime app from the Amazon store works fine, but I can't use Chromecast with that.

ROJO
Jan 14, 2006

Oven Wrangler
My Nexus 7 2013 seems to be struggling more than usual lately, unable to stream videos from my NAS even at sub HD resolutions without stuttering occasionally. I am still running whatever the most recent 6.X version of Android is that was pushed to the tablets originally. Are there any roms out there that will help improve performance compared to the stock 6.X android? Or is even a factory reset just the best thing to do to try to get back to previous performance levels? I feel like I should be able to at least stream local videos without stuttering....

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Hopefully there are enough old people here to know something about this. My friend mentioned wanting to get a tablet for her toddler, and I just saw a Nabi 2 for sale for $40. Would that be a good choice or is it old enough that the battery is probably completely dead?

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Hopefully there are enough old people here to know something about this. My friend mentioned wanting to get a tablet for her toddler, and I just saw a Nabi 2 for sale for $40. Would that be a good choice or is it old enough that the battery is probably completely dead?

A friend of mine got the kindle fire kids edition and it's held up really well with the squishy case. It's probably a better choice than an android 4.0 tablet and it comes with a 2 year guarantee for replacement if broken:
https://smile.amazon.com/All-New-Amazon-Fire-7-Kids-Edition-Tablet/dp/B01J90MSDS/

There's also an 8" and 10" now for a little bit more.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
Kids edition includes a 2 year accident warranty also.

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax
There's basically no tablets worth your time for a kid that aren't a Kindle Fire Kids Edition or a cheap older iPad mini or the like. Any other cheap rear end Chinese Android tablet from Walmart or wherever is going to be an endless pain to deal with from a low quality display to awful battery life to weird lack of a real Play Store or other app store and often way more limitations, all of which is a problem when trying to entertain your child with games and videos without annoyances. It just isn't worth saving a few bucks.

Cough Drop The Beat fucked around with this message at 05:04 on Mar 11, 2019

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Glutton for punishment that I am, I decided to try out the new Tab S5e.

It's ...good?

I like it a shitton better than the Tab S3. It's quicker despite having a SD670 (which honestly isn't that surprising since the 670 mostly benches better then the 820 and can trade blows with the 835).

The smaller bezel, 16:10 aspect ratio, and lighter weight means it's MUCH more manageable in portrait mode. I can one hand it easily to read, I can even palm it. The keyboard is just the right size for two thumb typing in portrait. The elimination of the physical home button and the back and switcher touch areas make it look like a a lot more modern device. The screen when off matches the black of the bezel a bit better which adds to the black slab effect. The fingerprint reader in the power button seems to work well and I suspect is the exact same unit that's on the S10e.

It doesn't seem to have any of the wake time issues that the S3 had where it was basically unusable for the first 60 seconds or so after waking from a deep sleep. It has fairly decent idle battery drain rate while still letting notifications come through.

The speakers are amazing for a device this thin and get good and loud with decent dynamics.

One UI is certainly better than the interface on the S3, though there is still stuff that I find annoying. I wish I could map Google feed to the leftmost panel of the home screen and it's maddening how they only allow a single DnD schedule, I want DnD to come on at different times on the weekend. At least I can remap back, home, task switcher into the proper order.

The bad? No S Pen support if that's your thing. It also doesn't have haptics or (at least currently) HDR support in Netflix or Prime. No headphone jack (dongle included.). It doesn't include the keyboard folio and I didn't buy one, but I may pick one up when they inevitably go on sale. Jelly scrolling in portrait is still here, though not as pronounced as it is on the S3.

The value is also a little questionable. 64/4gb model is $399 MSRP while the 128/6gb model (which is what I got) is $479. With the Tab S4 discounts out there, they can get pretty close in price. That said, I feel the Tab S5e is a more modern design, is newer which is always better with Samsung for updates, the speakers are better, and the 670 is a mini powerhouse that's going to trade blows with the SD835 which was outdated when the Tab S4 launched. The Tab S4 main advantage is the S pen support.

There are some trade in deals out there which could bring down the price and Best Buy currently has a $25 e gift card offer when buying either model right now.

So, I think I'll end up keeping this thing unless I find any glaring issues in the next week or so.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Apr 28, 2019

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness

bull3964 posted:

Glutton for punishment that I am, I decided to try out the new Tab S5e.

It's ...good?

I like it a shitton better than the Tab S3. It's quicker despite having a SD670 (which honestly isn't that surprising since the 670 mostly benches better then the 820 and can trade blows with the 835).

The smaller bezel, 16:10 aspect ratio, and lighter weight means it's MUCH more manageable in portrait mode. I can one hand it easily to read, I can even palm it. The keyboard is just the right size for two thumb typing in portrait. The elimination of the physical home button and the back and switcher touch areas make it look like a a lot more modern device. The screen when off matches the black of the bezel a bit better which adds to the black slab effect. The fingerprint reader in the power button seems to work well and I suspect is the exact same unit that's on the S10e.

It doesn't seem to have any of the wake time issues that the S3 had where it was basically unusable for the first 60 seconds or so after waking from a deep sleep. It has fairly decent idle battery drain rate while still letting notifications come through.

The speakers are amazing for a device this thin and get good and loud with decent dynamics.

One UI is certainly better than the interface on the S3, though there is still stuff that I find annoying. I wish I could map Google feed to the leftmost panel of the home screen and it's maddening how they only allow a single DnD schedule, I want DnD to come on at different times on the weekend. At least I can remap back, home, task switcher into the proper order.

The bad? No S Pen support if that's your thing. It also doesn't have haptics or (at least currently) HDR support in Netflix or Prime. No headphone jack (dongle included.). It doesn't include the keyboard folio and I didn't buy one, but I may pick one up when they inevitably go on sale. Jelly scrolling in portrait is still here, though not as pronounced as it is on the S3.

The value is also a little questionable. 64/4gb model is $399 MSRP while the 128/6gb model (which is what I got) is $479. With the Tab S4 discounts out there, they can get pretty close in price. That said, I feel the Tab S5e is a more modern design, is newer which is always better with Samsung for updates, the speakers are better, and the 670 is a mini powerhouse that's going to trade blows with the SD835 which was outdated when the Tab S4 launched. The Tab S4 main advantage is the S pen support.

There are some trade in deals out there which could bring down the price and Best Buy currently has a $25 e gift card offer when buying either model right now.

So, I think I'll end up keeping this thing unless I find any glaring issues in the next week or so.

Aren't you the guy who has a Huawei M5? If so, how does it compare to that would you say?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I do, my M5 is the 8.4 inch though. I'm a gadget junkie and I've almost always had a big tablet and a small tablet, as silly as that sounds.

I do really still like the M5 and it really is closer to the perfect size when casual couch browsing. But I do have a handful of issues with it. EMUI just needs a ton more polish. It's not unusable, but it can be a bit rough in places. The Kirin 960 is likely a more powerful SoC, especially in the GPU department, but faster isn't always faster if the compatibility isn't there. Hulu still doesn't work properly on the M5, it drops frames left and right (though, oddly it works fine directly from chrome.). I've seen instances from time to time in the play store that warns it's not optimized for my device.

For the most part, you are buying the Samsung for the screen. I mean, the M5 screen is no slouch, but it's still LCD.

It's possible that I may end up getting rid of the M5 since the Tab S5e FEELS so much smaller than the Tab S3. The Tab S5e is also only 83 grams heavier than the smaller M5 8.4 which is crazy when you think about it. It's stupid light for the size. Both those things combined takes away a bit of the advantage of the smaller M5.

Huawei has been a bit more timely than Samsung with security updates. My M5 is on the Feb update while my S3 is still on December. The S5e launched on the March update, but I'm probably not expecting another security update until late summer given their track record.

Android tablets are still hard recommendation, but if you are in the market, this hardware is pretty decent.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
Thanks for the impressions. I have the 10 inch version of the M5 myself for media consumption and it sounds like the main advantages the S5e offers are the ergonomics and the screen, not enough to replace my M5 just yet as I'm not holding it all that often.

Saucer Crab
Apr 3, 2009

There's not any sort of modern Nexus 7 2013 alike that has a proper headphone jack, is there?

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002
Nope. I have high regard for the Galaxy Tab A 8in, but that's not modern.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Saucer Crab posted:

There's not any sort of modern Nexus 7 2013 alike that has a proper headphone jack, is there?

Basically stuck with big Android phone or new iPad Mini, I think.

ROJO
Jan 14, 2006

Oven Wrangler

sourdough posted:

Basically stuck with big Android phone or new iPad Mini, I think.

So, I have to admit that I went over to the dark side and went from a 2013 Nexus 7 to the new iPad mini. Having new hardware that is responsive and handles modern content in a mini tablet form factor with ease is GREAT. That said....I wish constantly that it ran Android, and the Awful app is way worse on iOS. But I appreciate the headphone jack compared to my Pixel 2, and just having new hardware and an awesome battery life is amazing compared to my Nexus 7.

Don’t mean to be “that guy” who endorses moving to iOS in an android thread (and I despise iOS), but thought my recent experience was worth sharing :v:

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

ROJO posted:

Don’t mean to be “that guy” who endorses moving to iOS in an android thread

Yeah you don't want to be known as the smart one.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

ROJO posted:

So, I have to admit that I went over to the dark side and went from a 2013 Nexus 7 to the new iPad mini. Having new hardware that is responsive and handles modern content in a mini tablet form factor with ease is GREAT. That said....I wish constantly that it ran Android, and the Awful app is way worse on iOS. But I appreciate the headphone jack compared to my Pixel 2, and just having new hardware and an awesome battery life is amazing compared to my Nexus 7.

Don’t mean to be “that guy” who endorses moving to iOS in an android thread (and I despise iOS), but thought my recent experience was worth sharing :v:

I've got a 2017 base iPad and a Kindle Fire HD 10 after getting fed up with a Nexus 7 and no decent cheap replacement. There's nothing wrong with recommending an iPad, it's extremely hard for anything Android to compete between the Kindle and base iPad (esp refurb from Apple), imo, or between a base iPad and a cheaper iPad Pro. Maybe if you really really need an AMOLED display, paying iPad prices for a Samsung is defensible, but Apple has done a fantastic job diversifying its options and Google has let Android tablets die.

Saucer Crab
Apr 3, 2009

ROJO posted:

Oh no, after doing more and more research, it really does seem that your options in the Android realm are various similar cheapos, otherwise decently speced Chinese brands that have jank UIs bolted on top and/or are pre-owned by the Chinese government for your pleasure*, or nice but bloated and expensive Samsungs.

*I saw some Chuwi tablets that actually seemed reasonable, but further research showed that they at one point pushed out OTA updates that nicely dumped some spying malware on your device.

Saucer Crab fucked around with this message at 15:10 on May 1, 2019

pezzie
Apr 11, 2003

everytime someone says a seasonal anime is GOAT

Just watch the best anime ever
If I ever get myself one of those Chinese tablets (and I'm sure as poo poo tempted to pick up that Xiaomi MiPad 4), it's going to be only for content consumption and I will never enter anything sensitive into it. x.x

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness

arisu posted:

it's going to be only for content consumption and I will never enter anything sensitive into it. x.x

Are you saying you would create a secondary Google account for it?

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

And then not get any media from Google Play movies, books, or Amazon Kindle or Amazon Prime?

pezzie
Apr 11, 2003

I wouldn't use my main google account since that's tied to like, everything.

I already have a second google account anyway for this kind of stuff.

I don't have any google movies or books or anything like that anyway.

Amazon I'm ok with since that's locked behind 2 factor auth, and I certainly wouldn't buy anything on the tablet.

Tablet would mostly be just for prime video, netflix, youtube, and maybe some movies I toss on the SD card. I guess I have some vudu movies too, I wouldn't mind adding that.

pezzie fucked around with this message at 18:31 on May 1, 2019

smr
Dec 18, 2002

Got a Samsung Galaxy Tab S5e yesterday and my takeaway is: this would rule in an 8" form factor.

It's pretty bitching as a 10 incher, too. I do not care about pen support and use tablets 95% of the time in Portrait Mode, so keep that in mind with my take here.

It's ridiculously light, and much easier to one-hand hold for longer than the iPad Pro 10.5 or 11 are. Screen's gorgeous, a little bit of jelly on some portrait scrolling, but not enough to annoy me particularly.

Speakers are very good, media sounds great.

This is my first experience with Samsung's One UI and... it's fine. Still prefer Pixel/Android but there's nothing particularly objectionable about it.

I like it much more than I liked the Huawei MediaPad M5 8.4, which is the only other Android tablet I'd even look at these days (the other Samsung Tabs are either lol expensive and have a bunch of poo poo I don't want in them, or trash).

I still think any modern iPad is the best bet, Google Services work fine on them, but if you want your Android phone text syncing and that kinda jazz, you kind of have to have Android on the tablet, too, and if that's the case, this is fine.

Still would like to see this done in a Mini factor though.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

arisu posted:

I wouldn't use my main google account since that's tied to like, everything.

I already have a second google account anyway for this kind of stuff.

I don't have any google movies or books or anything like that anyway.

Amazon I'm ok with since that's locked behind 2 factor auth, and I certainly wouldn't buy anything on the tablet.

Tablet would mostly be just for prime video, netflix, youtube, and maybe some movies I toss on the SD card. I guess I have some vudu movies too, I wouldn't mind adding that.

In that case you'd might as well just pick up an Amazon Fire HD 10 next time they go on sale for $100. They aren't super powerful but they work fine for media consumption and it's simple to get Youtube working on it.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

Vykk.Draygo posted:

In that case you'd might as well just pick up an Amazon Fire HD 10 next time they go on sale for $100. They aren't super powerful but they work fine for media consumption and it's simple to get Youtube working on it.
Hella true.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

smr posted:

Still would like to see this done in a Mini factor though.

Yeah, I agree, it would completely rock an 8" form factor.

pezzie
Apr 11, 2003

I don't know about the HD10, but I have an HD8 and the screen is so poo poo it actively makes me mad. I thought I could stomach it and used it for like 4 months but I can't live with it anymore.

This was when I started thinking about the cheap chinese tabs lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

smr posted:

Got a Samsung Galaxy Tab S5e yesterday

Just was reading this, any wifi issues you can reproduce?

https://bgr.com/2019/05/01/galaxy-tab-s5e-wifi-connection-issues-samsung/