Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Smiling Demon
Jun 16, 2013

KillHour posted:

Solving oil is one of the most interesting problems in the game. Avoid blueprints and guides entirely, IMO. Don't be stubborn and insist on making everything perfect the first time you play - you can't unlearn it and you'll miss out on the discovery, which is the entire point.

Half the fun for me is making my *own* blueprints. On the other hand I had a complete set that got obsoleted by some minor belt changes way back and stopped playing. It probably wouldn't have mattered so much if they hadn't made the changes the day after I finished them.

Has anything significant been added since artillery became a thing? Or will there be an update "soon"?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Nah, you can totally forget vanilla stuff, at least the later stuff, if you spend too much time in Angelbob's feeling your brain melt.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Smiling Demon posted:

Half the fun for me is making my *own* blueprints. On the other hand I had a complete set that got obsoleted by some minor belt changes way back and stopped playing. It probably wouldn't have mattered so much if they hadn't made the changes the day after I finished them.

Has anything significant been added since artillery became a thing? Or will there be an update "soon"?

There's an update coming like...soonish apparently but it doesn't add anything major. It shakes up science a bit and makes the ingredients make more sense. Other than that artillery was the last major feature addition.

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

FFF269 had a list of what was making it into 0.17 and what got pushed back to 0.18.

quote:

After a few rounds of discussions, we decided split the releases of 0.17 and 0.18 in the following way:

0.17 plan
It will contain all the things we have done up to this point, mainly:

New render backend, which helps performance and solves a lot of issues (FFF-251)
The graphical updates: walls, gates, turrets, belts, biters, spawners, electric poles (FFF-268, FFF-228, FFF-253)
The GUI reskin (FFF-243)
New map editor (FFF-252)
Resource generation overhaul (FFF-258)
Robot construction tools (FFF-255)
Rich text (FFF-237, FFF-267)
And more...
It will also include some things we know we can finish soon enough, mainly:

Redoing some of the most important GUIs (Action bar, character screen, main game GUI, train GUI, play GUI, tooltips)
Fluid optimisations
And several smaller things, which depends on how it goes
We will release this during January 2019, we will announce it more precisely in advance.

0.18 plan
It will become the final 1.0 version once it is stable. It will contain mainly:

New tutorial
New campaign
Final mini tutorials
Revision of rest of the GUI
All remaining high res graphics graphics and final polish
We obviously don't know exactly when is it going to be ready, but we hope it to be sooner than 9 months from now.

This was posted before the science update, which will also be in 0.17. It is mostly QoL changes but the science update will break most existing builds so it's a good time to start a new map if you're one of those people that sticks with a map for months at a time. There was also a dev chat this past weekend with some of the community that went over the science changes and other suggestions that have come up. Someone went through that and pulled out the main highlights:

quote:

10:24 PM] Stinson_5: 1) potential change to the craft time of blue science, no numbers mentioned.
2) Oil not in start area
3) power armor 1, 2 and fusion reactor behind military science
4) pipe maybe in green science but maybe not
5) a) crafting of the assembler 2 same as before but iron replaced by 2 steel, and move then further down the tech tree with the possibility of a crafting speed of 1 to make everything easier.*pollution and power adjusted also.
b) further assembler machines (2 and 3) might only be used for specific recipes, this would mean that there would be no need to unlimit craft items in machines and change crafting speed
c) assembler 3 to be unchanged
6) No loaders
7) No specific mention of science pack amount changing per research. The ones hinted at that could change are the research related to unlocking the next science pack.
8) lots of technology prerequisites changed, wont be mention in change log. Example, electric engines need advanced electronics. If you unlock something you should be able to build it.
9) flight and robots merged, now just robotics. Lasers, flammables, modules, electronics, might be removed since they don't give you anything but was quoted as being fine .

This was just all from one dev responding to chat mostly so not all of these are 100% certain. And also note that the assembler changes don't limit what you can automate early, since the ingredient limit on all assemblers has been removed, so higher tier assemblers just give more speed and more module slots.

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

I'm the greatest thing since World War III.

Soiled Meat
I'll admit it. I'm a blueprint guy. I'll try to make it myself, but if it's not working I don't have the time or the inclination to struggle for ages on kludging together my own design. I mean, the blueprint for a mall just makes life better. It's satisfying enough to figure out how to get the different parts together and working.

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!
I learn by seeing, not by stumbling around in the dark.

Blueprints have helped me a ton in understanding belt layouts to feed 3 or 4 input factories.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

That's like watching a let's play of a puzzle game :psyduck:

I mean, as long as you're having fun, I guess.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
I download blueprints for belt balancers because really, I'm not going to sit down and figure out how to make a 32x32 balancer if somebody else already has. Other than that I mostly make my own.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

I try to avoid outright copying stuff that's already been done, but getting some setup optimizations (and stuff like having one giant belt) has helped. It's sort of fun to learn on trick at a time rather then just getting the very best solution.

Speaking of: I'm guessing I still haven't built a very big factory if I haven't needed to build belt balances yet.

Also, what's a good way to supply multiple factories with requester chests? With a single factory I can just direct feed the chest in, but you can't daisy chain the materials through factories like you can with labs. A provider chest + belt works well for single input, but once you get to 2 or more, I'm guessing I either need to add multiple requester chests (which seemed maybe wasteful), or use filter inserters and some belt work to keep stuff seperated.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
Have you tried the other three cardinal directions to directly feed factories from a single requester chest? Once you're past four, though, multiple chests is generally the way to go.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Oxyclean posted:

I try to avoid outright copying stuff that's already been done, but getting some setup optimizations (and stuff like having one giant belt) has helped. It's sort of fun to learn on trick at a time rather then just getting the very best solution.

Speaking of: I'm guessing I still haven't built a very big factory if I haven't needed to build belt balances yet.

Also, what's a good way to supply multiple factories with requester chests? With a single factory I can just direct feed the chest in, but you can't daisy chain the materials through factories like you can with labs. A provider chest + belt works well for single input, but once you get to 2 or more, I'm guessing I either need to add multiple requester chests (which seemed maybe wasteful), or use filter inserters and some belt work to keep stuff seperated.

The factory I'm dicking around with right now is chewing up 10,000 iron plates a minute. A fully stuffed blue belt carries 20 items a second on each side. I'm doing everything with trains so I don't have a bus but that would be more than four blue belts full of iron.

As for the chest thing there's like a bajillion different ways you could do that so the proper answer is to try whatever random things come to mind and see which one works best for you. It's a sandbox game so just like, play. It's legos if there were lego factories and legos that also bite you sometimes if you build too many things.

If you have an idea build it somewhere and see how it does. If it doesn't do what you want tear it down and try something else.

ToxicSlurpee fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Jan 2, 2019

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Look at this scrub who has never stepped on a Lego.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

KillHour posted:

Look at this scrub who has never stepped on a Lego.

That isn't biting. That is an abhorrently violent stabbing with a deadly weapon.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Sage Grimm posted:

Have you tried the other three cardinal directions to directly feed factories from a single requester chest? Once you're past four, though, multiple chests is generally the way to go.

I'm not sure why that didn't occur to me, I think I was a bit focused on building in lines and planning for easy expansion.

This is what I have set up currently.

ToxicSlurpee posted:

As for the chest thing there's like a bajillion different ways you could do that so the proper answer is to try whatever random things come to mind and see which one works best for you. It's a sandbox game so just like, play. It's legos if there were lego factories and legos that also bite you sometimes if you build too many things.

If you have an idea build it somewhere and see how it does. If it doesn't do what you want tear it down and try something else.

Yeah, I've been more or less going by the philosophy of "just make it work" but I was curious if there was something more obvious I was overlooking. (Because I was.) Sorta how I overlooked using one belt for 2 inputs for a good while.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

Oxyclean posted:

I'm not sure why that didn't occur to me, I think I was a bit focused on building in lines and planning for easy expansion.

This is what I have set up currently.

Yeah, I've been more or less going by the philosophy of "just make it work" but I was curious if there was something more obvious I was overlooking. (Because I was.) Sorta how I overlooked using one belt for 2 inputs for a good while.

Isn't it 3 copper wire to 2 green circuit factories? Why have the copper wires feed to a belt instead of directly into the green circuit factories?

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

I don't actually know my ratios well, I'm just kinda kludging something that I can expand as I need. I'm kinda just taking the approach of "make more of x until demand is met" :v: I also figured to chest the cables so I can just request them when i make red circuits.

Direct feeding the cable factories into the circuit factories is an interesting idea I didn't think about. I was gonna say it might make feeding the iron in trickier but then I remembered long inserters are a thing.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

Oxyclean posted:

Direct feeding the cable factories into the circuit factories is an interesting idea I didn't think about. I was gonna say it might make feeding the iron in trickier but then I remembered long inserters are a thing.

One approach for feeding iron into the circuit assemblers is to feed them from the front, that is, the opposite side from the copper assemblers. This makes it pretty easy to tile, or at least make long rows!

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Solumin posted:

Isn't it 3 copper wire to 2 green circuit factories? Why have the copper wires feed to a belt instead of directly into the green circuit factories?

Just build them at 1:1. It's easier and becomes correct when you put modules in them.

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

Be they sad or be they well,
I'll make their lives a hell
Things get alot faster when you cut out belts entirely.

Have requester chests feeding factories via stack insterters, and those factories feeding other factories via stack insterers, and then dump the products directly into provider chests.

Jamsque
May 31, 2009
There are 'optimal' ways to lay out a factory in Factorio but there is not a 'right' way to play Factorio. There is a lot of good advice in this thread but it irritates me that it is mostly presented with such a condescending tone.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

ToxicSlurpee posted:

I download blueprints for belt balancers because really, I'm not going to sit down and figure out how to make a 32x32 balancer if somebody else already has. Other than that I mostly make my own.
Good news, splitter output priority does most of what you'd ever want out of a balancer.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Nevets posted:

Have requester chests feeding factories via stack insterters, and those factories feeding other factories via stack insterers, and then dump the products directly into provider chests.

Where are stack inserters necessary? It feels like I usually see fast inserters filling factories fast enough/faster then they can crank out the product.

simble
May 11, 2004

Stack inserters are good at filling a belt (like from a requester chest), or train loaders/unloaders.

They may be beneficial when making some things like electric drills since they take a lot of stuff, but the gain would only be marginal over a fast inserter I think. Someone else do the math. Really just make more factories and all problems are solved.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Oxyclean posted:

Where are stack inserters necessary? It feels like I usually see fast inserters filling factories fast enough/faster then they can crank out the product.

Trains.

Fully upgraded fast inserters are good enough for all assembler use case I've found until you start adding speed modules. Especially fully beaconed speed modules. I've got a green circuit blueprint that has so many speed beacons it uses a full blue belt. I should revisit that design actually, I bet I've got more speed modules than the stack inserters can keep up with...

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Nevets posted:

Doing this just seems so... anathema somehow

I say this as a person who has launched all of one rocket, mind you, and that was three patches ago, but something about just doing everything by bot feels so... disorganized, i guess

BabelFish
Jul 20, 2013

Fallen Rib

LLSix posted:

Trains.

Fully upgraded fast inserters are good enough for all assembler use case I've found until you start adding speed modules. Especially fully beaconed speed modules. I've got a green circuit blueprint that has so many speed beacons it uses a full blue belt. I should revisit that design actually, I bet I've got more speed modules than the stack inserters can keep up with...

I've had to use stack inserters for inserting iron gear wheels into red/blue underground belts. The blue ones in particular require a ton of wheels and build quickly.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
One of the days months I should really get around to launching a rocket. I always flounder around blue science.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Solumin posted:

One of the days months I should really get around to launching a rocket. I always flounder around blue science.

Oil and trains, for me. For some reason right around the point both are necessary I start running into enough problems with my factories that I don't want to push on to Bot God-dom

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

simble posted:

Really just make more factories and all problems are solved.

Once you start using production modules the costs of factories goes up enough that spamming them isn't the best answer anymore. Speed beaconed prod factories making copper wire are good uses for stack inserters.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

Ciaphas posted:

Oil and trains, for me. For some reason right around the point both are necessary I start running into enough problems with my factories that I don't want to push on to Bot God-dom

I don't run into problems so much as get analysis paralysis. So many things to do...

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

BabelFish posted:

I've had to use stack inserters for inserting iron gear wheels into red/blue underground belts. The blue ones in particular require a ton of wheels and build quickly.

Fair enough.

Belts are one of the few things I don't care about producing quickly so I've never checked to see if the inserters are actually keeping up. I'm usually bottlenecked by not producing enough gears anyways.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

zedprime posted:

Good news, splitter output priority does most of what you'd ever want out of a balancer.

Can they balance like 16 lanes though?

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Can they balance like 16 lanes though?

There are very few useful cases for balancing more than 4 lanes.

It’s mostly aesthetic than anything.

Most cases benefit from simply having a diagonal of splitters that are all set to output to the same side to fill and compress each belt successively. That’s more efficient as long as your consumers are drawing balanced consumption and you have enough supply. If you don’t actually have enough supply then balanced belts simply split the shortage between your unbalanced consumers.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
I never put any modules anywhere because I looked at all the things I'd need to put them in and the decision of which one to use and went UGH and just kept building things normally. Beacons aren't until pretty late.
I think I put some in my science machines, though.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum

Nevets posted:

Ciaphas posted:

Doing this just seems so... anathema somehow

I say this as a person who has launched all of one rocket, mind you, and that was three patches ago, but something about just doing everything by bot feels so... disorganized, i guess

Huge agreement from me. My Bob's game goes from "fun logistics tangle" to "30x30 square of assembler+requester+provider blocks" once bots are embraced and it's such a gamekiller for me. On the other hand, it takes <5 seconds to add a new recipe to the mall, and with a hellstorm of bots delivering things you get an infinite supply of whatever for no effort, which is kinda rewarding after having to spend 30+ minutes on getting some things I guess?

Edit: On a different topic: What I really want to do in Factorio is optimize builds and logistics, particularly via trains. Those are always such relaxing and fun sessions. But when I really just want to play with trains and such, first I have to build a base that requires trains (plus the infrastructure and tech to build them in the first place ofc) which can take 2 hours or so. I wish there was a good way to get to the meat when I want to skip the appetizer.

Evilreaver fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Jan 2, 2019

simble
May 11, 2004

Evilreaver posted:

Edit: On a different topic: What I really want to do in Factorio is optimize builds and logistics, particularly via trains. Those are always such relaxing and fun sessions. But when I really just want to play with trains and such, first I have to build a base that requires trains (plus the infrastructure and tech to build them in the first place ofc) which can take 2 hours or so. I wish there was a good way to get to the meat when I want to skip the appetizer.

I totally agree with this. Also give me a personal roboport and some construction bots from the start. Laying track sucks rear end.

Edit: Tryin dis.... https://mods.factorio.com/mod/early_construction

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!
As soon as i get electric foundries and bots tonight, I am tearing everything down and starting fresh.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Evilreaver posted:

Huge agreement from me. My Bob's game goes from "fun logistics tangle" to "30x30 square of assembler+requester+provider blocks" once bots are embraced and it's such a gamekiller for me. On the other hand, it takes <5 seconds to add a new recipe to the mall, and with a hellstorm of bots delivering things you get an infinite supply of whatever for no effort, which is kinda rewarding after having to spend 30+ minutes on getting some things I guess?

Just download the cheat mod and have fun.

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

dexefiend posted:

As soon as i get electric foundries and bots tonight, I am tearing everything down and starting fresh.

If you have ample space, instead just build a new base and leave the old one alone until you need the space or leftover buildings. It's easy to accidentally run out of something while building your new base, and have to waste time hand-crafting a ton of stuff. If your old base is still cranking out belts and factories and ammo while you setup the new one you aren't in any danger of that.

And when you do tear down the old base, you can already have your new base setup to pull in all the old stuff as it's deconstructed and use that instead of producing new stuff. Ex:

code:
=====)=====
   R>)

Requester chest feeding priority input splitter on main belt.

F>R>F>R>F>P

Generic tiered item factory setup with intermediate requester chests.
Chests set to request 50 of each item, inserters wired to only pull from factories when there is <10 items in the requester chest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Falcorum
Oct 21, 2010
Fun fact, if you're trying to use Bob's (or is it Angel's) bio processing to produce solid fuel, you'll need nearly 250 farms as the base production so you can saturate two red belts of solid fuel. Guess who didn't notice that's 250 farms with the swamp upgrade (aka speed 1 instead of speed 0.5). :downs:

On the plus side, that would be about 1.75 red belts more than I'm actually consuming.