Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is your resolution for the new year?
This poll is closed.
To play more games 54 12.68%
To play more games 52 12.21%
To play less games...sorry, I meant more games 70 16.43%
To play games more 79 18.54%
Something else (in addition to playing more games) 66 15.49%
To make more/less Bowsette references 105 24.65%
Total: 219 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
I promise next month I will remember to unsticky the old chat thread and sticky the new one on the first day!!

Also I am excited for my 2019 gaming year. I closed off 2018 by starting Yakuza Kiwami on boxing day and completing it New Years Eve :D

This leaves me free to do my planned 'Year in Gaming'. Instead I am playing one game a week, each week, for the whole year! I am doing a write up each sunday evening (I made a thread for it) and have the puntastic name of Action 52. :D They are all games I have not played and should have but never got round to, so look out for some surprising titles. I am also giving away title certs each week to the first poster who guesses what the week after game is going to be so we can all have fun.

This year is going to be interesting! :D

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

C-Euro posted:

:same: but I also spend way too much time mindlessly browsing the internet that would arguably be more productive if I put it towards games.

Yeah, I think a lot of people would be shocked by how quickly "empty" time filling up the cracks between actually doing something adds up.

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

VideoGames posted:

I promise next month I will remember to unsticky the old chat thread and sticky the new one on the first day!!

Also I am excited for my 2019 gaming year. I closed off 2018 by starting Yakuza Kiwami on boxing day and completing it New Years Eve :D

This leaves me free to do my planned 'Year in Gaming'. Instead I am playing one game a week, each week, for the whole year! I am doing a write up each sunday evening (I made a thread for it) and have the puntastic name of Action 52. :D They are all games I have not played and should have but never got round to, so look out for some surprising titles. I am also giving away title certs each week to the first poster who guesses what the week after game is going to be so we can all have fun.

This sounds dope and I might nick the idea (minus the thread, of course) :D

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I would like to thank Phantasy Star 1 for being just under my total flight length long.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

mutata posted:

That's one of my general goals this year, actually. If I'm not gonna work on projects some nights in favor of relaxing, I might as well actively choose to do so via games instead of YouTube or getting stuck in an internet loop.

Yeah I have StayFocused on my laptop and set it to limit my forums time to an hour a day, but when that runs out I have a hard time not just moving to phone browsing lol. I need something to limit my phoneposting time, but only in the evening when I'm not at work.

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

Barudak posted:

I would like to thank Phantasy Star 1 for being just under my total flight length long.

This is impressive, do you have hardcopies of the dungeon maps or something?

I guess my gaming goal for 2019 is to start and finish the copy of Shadowrun: Dragonfall I bought several years ago and have never played. Also if anyone cares, GOTY 2018 for me would have to be Adventures of Square.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

name the dog Bone Patrol

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Suppose my gaming goal is to actually beat an RPG in Japanese, I've gotten some ways in with a bunch but it's been slow enough that I've always fallen off before reaching an actual ending.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Kanfy posted:

Suppose my gaming goal is to actually beat an RPG in Japanese, I've gotten some ways in with a bunch but it's been slow enough that I've always fallen off before reaching an actual ending.

That was mine but turns out spending 25 minutes per sentence wasnt super productive.

Id recommend something old and relatively linear so there isnt mountains of dialog and a mistranslation on your part wont have you hopelessly lost

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

VideoGames posted:

Can I preemptively guess Kirby every week?

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Doom Goon posted:

Can I preemptively guess Kirby every week?

Ha! I will let you know now, looking at my list, that Kirby does not appear a single time other than my avatar.

I am gauging how many answers I get for the current picture whether or not I made it too difficult. I feel like perhaps I did.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

Kanfy posted:

I feel like this is probably harder when you know some Japanese.

I know absolutely none and have beaten SRW W at least 17 times. I only recently read the wonderful LP of it to see what I missed.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Kanfy posted:

I've done that a couple times before, but I did it by ignoring the text at all and just reading the dialog afterwords from a translated FAQ, or just read a summary or whatever. I've completely given up on learning new languages.

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"
Good luck VideoGames! I'll be sure to troll your thread by implying you didn't really beat various games because you didn't do some minor side task

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Relax Or DIE posted:

Good luck VideoGames! I'll be sure to troll your thread by implying you didn't really beat various games because you didn't do some minor side task

Thank you! I actually do want people to do stuff like this. I enjoy games way more with input and discussion :D

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Internet Kraken posted:

I hate that nowadays when I look at a game like Darkest Dungeon my first thought is "I don't have the 50+ hours to sink into a really meaty hard campaign"

I kind of miss when I was 18 and had no qualms about spending 5+ hours on gaming a day

I have about 40 hours into Darkest Dungeon. I'm not even slightly close to beating the game.

Play Darkest Dungeon anyway. Honestly that is a rare game where I don't ever feel compelled to actually finish it completely (similar to Isaac), because the core gameplay is just so good that it's fun enough just doing a few dungeons and calling it a day. If you never beat it well... it's a lovecraft inspired game so I'm sure the game wouldn't have ended happily anyway :v:

May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"
DD is a great short session game, but it's also extremely filler heavy and doesn't come close to justifying the length of a campaign.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

Kanfy posted:

the new pokemons can be played in japanese but there’s no kanji

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
Does Giant Bomb not do articles anymore? I was going to read their end of the year stuff, but it looks like it's just a dump of like 200 hours of video.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Saint Freak posted:

Does Giant Bomb not do articles anymore? I was going to read their end of the year stuff, but it looks like it's just a dump of like 200 hours of video.
https://www.giantbomb.com/articles/heres-what-won/1100-5847/

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
Hey VideoGames, I'm excited for your thread. Imo though, you should put a link here so more people can find it and guess what game that potted plant is from.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Phantasium posted:

I've done that a couple times before, but I did it by ignoring the text at all and just reading the dialog afterwords from a translated FAQ, or just read a summary or whatever. I've completely given up on learning new languages.

I'm not much of a dedicated student either, but I realized that I liked studying the language so I slowly chipped away at it and well, at some point you've simply dug down deep enough that turning back isn't really an option anymore. At this stage I kinda prefer Japanese to English anyway, a statement I can make without hiding under several layers of irony since I'm not a native speaker of either language.

Mostly I'm just bad at finishing RPGs. :v:

oddium posted:

the new pokemons can be played in japanese but there’s no kanji

Having to read no-kanji Japanese is not a fate I wish on anyone.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

VideoGames posted:

Ha! I will let you know now, looking at my list, that Kirby does not appear a single time other than my avatar.

I am gauging how many answers I get for the current picture whether or not I made it too difficult. I feel like perhaps I did.

I have bookmarked your thread but I have no idea what the potplant is from so I have not posted!

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I'M GONNA SHOOT PLANES AND SCREAM AT ANIMES ABOUT HEARTS THIS MONTH.

Those are my resolutions so far.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I can't find the thread

Also after like 2 years I finally bid farewell to my Katrielle Layton avatar

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3878621

This will be the thread I inhabit for the next year :D I am not going to sticky it because that seems a bit self aggrandising, but I will be a constant in there every sunday with a write up, a reveal of a game and a teaser of the next.

Aside from Vanquish (in order to give a few clues) there will be roughly 24 PC games and 27 PS4 games. It is still a little fluid, but should help with guessing! :D

May 8, 2006

Thinking about DD gave me an idea for a question: What long games do y'all think justify their length?

The podcast Watch Out for Fireballs just did a 4 part show on Baldurs Gate 2, which I think does. The other IE games do a decent job as well, and maybe Pillars 2. Also, at least for the main game, DQXI. The post game was a bit sloggy and the bosses there kinda blended together since they were kind of pushing up against the limit of what they could do to make them challenging.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
F76 continues being the gift that keeps on gifting

https://twitter.com/pcgamer/status/1080483877221818368

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

You could just start making up glitches about Fallout 76 and they would all sound plausible enough.

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!
Glitches related to time, in-game clocks and the like remind me that every Animal Crossing has a set date where the in-game clock just stops when it comes to dates and the day never flips over to the one it's currently on.

It just sounds freaky even if it probably doesn't convey that in-game.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Help Im Alive posted:

What'd the ninja guy do differently to everyone else that made him the ultimate streamer

I watch Twitch streams all the time and I didn't even hear about Ninja until the middle of last year when he said he doesn't like women gamers. Playing with them hurts his fragile masculinity or something. His audience is almost entirely teenage boys and he likes saying the n-word, so I've steered cleared of the dude and stick to my less than 150 viewer streams.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Viewtiful Jew posted:

Glitches related to time, in-game clocks and the like remind me that every Animal Crossing has a set date where the in-game clock just stops when it comes to dates and the day never flips over to the one it's currently on.

It just sounds freaky even if it probably doesn't convey that in-game.

wait, what's the dates for each game?

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

Phantasium posted:

wait, what's the dates for each game?

I know at least City Folk stops at 2035, instead of morning never coming it just resets to 2000 so like, events will still happen and life will go on but now it's 35 years in the past even though you haven't messed with time at all.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

I said come in! posted:

I watch Twitch streams all the time and I didn't even hear about Ninja until the middle of last year when he said he doesn't like women gamers. Playing with them hurts his fragile masculinity or something. His audience is almost entirely teenage boys and he likes saying the n-word, so I've steered cleared of the dude and stick to my less than 150 viewer streams.

he claims he doesn't stream with women because he doesn't want his audience insinuating that he's cheating on his wife

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

He also said that one-on-one streaming was an "intimate experience" when every stream I've seen of him is him in his room by himself screaming "what the gently caress"

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Poops Mcgoots posted:

Ninja supposedly made $10 million in 2018 (before taxes presumably), so if he's smart (and he probably won't be) he's set even if he loses basically all his subs today.

There’s a lot of hate for him in this thread, but I watch his stream a couple of times a week. He’s very smart, and he’s trying to do this so he and his family are set for life. He also works his butt off, and his general attitude is solid. He’s family friendly, and the amount of hate he gets is ridiculous. Even the whole won’t play with women thing was completely blown out of proportion.

What’s good games (one of the better video game podcast out there, hosted by women) had a good break down about the issue earlier in the year and actually came out defending him.

May 8, 2006

How many slurs is he allowed before we can hate on him, and how many doxings equal a slur

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

He has not explicitly endorsed any Nazis yet so he's just a charmless goofball that tweens love right now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DOUBLE CLICK HERE
Feb 5, 2005
WA3
How do I get payed millions to ignore women? Is pink hair required?