Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Just my (and her) opinion that the '19 models look better overall, but whatever. It's the wife's money if that's the car she really wants I'm not going argue with her she deserves to get what she wants.

If it were for me I'd get the cheapest GT with a manual I could find and put the bits I wanted on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Are the 19s different? I was under the impression that 18 was the lifecycle refresh model year

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice
I definitely don't notice any exterior difference between the 2018 and 2019 GT's

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Cosmetic poo poo, really. Looks like some different colors, wheel styles and monochrome accents with the emblems/badges blacked out.

And most if not all the new 18's we've seen locally have been black, white or red. No interesting colors are left.

So it's

vs.

She's starting to warm up to the idea of the cheaper 18's so we'll see. Personally I'd go white but she hates white :shrug:

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Applebees Appetizer posted:

And most if not all the new 18's we've seen locally have been black, white or red. No interesting colors are left.

So it's

She's starting to warm up to the idea of the cheaper 18's so we'll see. Personally I'd go white but she hates white :shrug:

I have never once in the nearly seven years I’ve had a race red Mustang regretted it.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Do the 18s also have moar powa? That's the important part.

KillHour posted:

I had an Ecoboost Mustang as a rental and it was pretty boring, but the GTs are like 50k, so I'm kinda meh on Mustangs, TBH.
European prices? A stripper GT is 57k here with the ecoboost only a few grand cheaper FFS. I'd seriously go buy one right now if I could get one for under 30k that wasn't 3+ years old with 50k km.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

mobby_6kl posted:

Do the 18s also have moar powa? That's the important part.

European prices? A stripper GT is 57k here with the ecoboost only a few grand cheaper FFS. I'd seriously go buy one right now if I could get one for under 30k that wasn't 3+ years old with 50k km.

No, US. There must be a ton on the hood at the dealers because the configurator is giving me $49k for a GT premium fastback with Brembos and digital dash. No Magnaride or Recaros or adaptive cruise or really anything extraordinary.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Those Mustangs ride high don't they? 4x4 mode is real. Also both of those need wider wheels.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.
Stock mustangs don't ride as high as they used to. Tire gap is fairly small and nicely even. The 19 GT premium wheels are ugly, but if I bought another 'stang it'd be a Bullitt anyway. The Bullitt green is even better than the Guard Green I had before. I just don't have $50k lying around to do it.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!

KillHour posted:

No, US. There must be a ton on the hood at the dealers because the configurator is giving me $49k for a GT premium fastback with Brembos and digital dash. No Magnaride or Recaros or adaptive cruise or really anything extraordinary.

So, a GT Premium with a $4k performance package, $1600 Recaros and $2200 package that includes the digital dash, heated steering wheel, Nav and the upgraded leather.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

I specifically said it DIDN'T have Recaros. Brembos are drat near a requirement on a GT. And lol if you'd ever consider buying a new sports car without heated seats and steering wheel. The digital dash is the only cool thing about the car - everything else feels and looks nicer in my RS for 10k less. Woof.

KillHour fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Jan 2, 2019

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!
Fair enough on the Recaros, not sure how I misread that. As for the performance package being required, I had a 2015 GT. It's really not.

And, as optioned that's a <$47k car

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

That's still a lot of money for a car that's not all that nice to be in.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
Man I like the GT but I'd really want that digital dash.

My Challenger is a fat pig and quite wallowy but the GT is just so much more the way I'd want it configured, and I lose any backseat functionality. I love the way the GT looks and sounds though.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Applebees Appetizer posted:

Cosmetic poo poo, really. Looks like some different colors, wheel styles and monochrome accents with the emblems/badges blacked out.

So it's

vs.

The 18 and 19 are identical other than a new color for 2019. 18 was the refresh year with more power (460hp), new front end, tail lights, quad exhaust, optional active exhaust and mag ride, some other stuff.

The two you're looking at just have different packages, the first has the tragic base wheels, the second has the black accent package that includes black wheels and roof and emblems.

The PP wheels are best anyway, second maybe to the 20" forged wheels but those are pretty rare.

You can definitely get a ton of money off, I got $6k off sticker on my 2018 when they had just come out a month before. I've seen people on the forums getting closer to $10k off 2018's now. Truecar is relatively accurate if you want to get an idea of a good price.

opengl fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Jan 2, 2019

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

KillHour posted:

That's still a lot of money for a car that's not all that nice to be in.

Compared to what?

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

I really don't get that complaint. Sure its not a luxury car but its hardly a penalty box.

Something Offal
Jan 12, 2018

by FactsAreUseless
It's not ultra terrible but that center tunnel absolutely screams 'cost cutting' with rock bottom looking quality plastic... for $50k. Chintzy fake carbon fiber plastic trim on the center bezels.

Honda Accord is miles better for example with a $24k base MSRP. It's not the 90s anymore and the competition is sharp.

Something Offal fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Jan 2, 2019

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

BloodBag posted:

Compared to what?

Compared to the other almost-luxury cars I could buy for 40-50k.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

opengl128 posted:

I really don't get that complaint. Sure its not a luxury car but its hardly a penalty box.

I think that's a fantastic interior :shrug:

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

50k buys you a lot of car.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

KillHour posted:

50k buys you a lot of car.

I'll be honest, that Mercedes interior looks like garbage. The Kia interior looks better. And having sat in a modern Mustang, I felt like it was a perfectly good interior.

Granted, I'm not a feel-of-materials connoisseur but it felt perfectly fine to me and the ergonomics seemed OK during my brief stint behind the wheel.

The biggest thing is I can't row my gears in any of them, so I personally wouldn't even be cross-shopping luxury cars with a Mustang GT. When I got my Challenger the only other car I even checked out was a Mustang and I liked it better but it was more money and less practical.

CornHolio fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Jan 2, 2019

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

CornHolio posted:

I'll be honest, that Mercedes interior looks like garbage. The Kia interior looks better. And having sat in a modern Mustang, I felt like it was a perfectly good interior.

Granted, I'm not a feel-of-materials connoisseur but it felt perfectly fine to me and the ergonomics seemed OK during my brief stint behind the wheel.

The biggest thing is I can't row my gears in any of them, so I personally wouldn't even be cross-shopping luxury cars with a Mustang GT. When I got my Challenger the only other car I even checked out was a Mustang and I liked it better but it was more money and less practical.

340i comes in a manual. It's not as nice inside as the other Germans, or even the Kia for the cost, but you can row it.

Edit: Besides, why would you buy the slower one? :smug: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rdsxfTJiTVw&t=267s

KillHour fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Jan 2, 2019

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

Can't you get a roush Stage 2 Supercharger installed by a authorized dealer and still retain the factory warranty for around $50k?

Edit: Yes, you still can apparently

Mustache Ride fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Jan 2, 2019

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Mustache Ride posted:

Can't you get a roush Stage 2 Supercharger installed by a authorized dealer and still retain the factory warranty for around $50k?

Edit: Yes, you still can apparently

...for when you can't get your Mustang into the crowds fast enough/when you want to make sure they've got no time to run out of the way?

BrownieVK
Nov 10, 2009

Eat my ass
All I know is the 18+ GTs coyote can make 500whp with minor bolt ons and that's good enough for me. Personally I wouldn't be trying to buy a Mustang as a luxury coupe because that's stupid. If you want luxury buy luxury if you want a fast NA RWD coupe that makes fun sounds you get a mustang.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
I find the Mustang interior kind of lame and gimmicky. It's pretty nice, but much like with a Mini interior it's trying too hard to be... something

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

If you want a 5L V8 and RWD and a better interior the Lexus RC F-type (iirc the name) would fit the bill. Starts at $65k but it's a marginally better interior. I was always happy with the Mustang's.

ilkhan fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Jan 2, 2019

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

You could also just spend a little more and get a Bentley Continental.

Much nicer interior, and also available with a V8.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Powershift posted:

You could also just spend a little more and get a Bentley Continental.

Much nicer interior, and also available with a V8.
I know. I was pointing out how much more a marginally better quality interior will cost if you want comparable performance. It's about $20-25k.

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."

Wonderllama posted:

I rented a 2018 corolla for a work trip one time and it ruined my entire week.

What's so bad about the Corolla? I mean they still make them super stripped out and the interior is kind of depressing but they're not bad.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
I have a new Jetta as a rental car. The powertrain isn't bad, the 8 speed gearbox is actually fairly responsive. The interior is mediocre and it's impossible to get in/out of, and the handling has gotten worse.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

64bit_Dophins posted:

What's so bad about the Corolla? I mean they still make them super stripped out and the interior is kind of depressing but they're not bad.

The new one is pretty good. I had a manual hatchback and with a better tyre it would have even been fun to drive. The interior is way better than the Camry’s.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

drgitlin posted:

The new one is pretty good. I had a manual hatchback and with a better tyre it would have even been fun to drive. The interior is way better than the Camry’s.

The hatchback also gets the new 168 hp 2L rather than the ancient dog that's in the Corolla sedan also, right?

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

64bit_Dophins posted:

It's more about how everyone else has moved forward and Toyota's still doing what they were doing 4-8 years ago, with a layer of makeup on top to make it look new.

The new-new Corolla is the first car Toyota seems to be aiming higher on, in a long time.

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

64bit_Dophins posted:

It is great at its intended purpose, which is to provide inexpensive, reliable transportation. I had one for a rental earlier last year, and was impressed by the Corolla’s space, and its fuel efficiency. Visibility was also quite good for a modern car. But wow was that motor was thrashy and weak, and the steering was lifeless.

The TNGA Corollas seem to have solved both of those problems. And you can now buy a new Corolla hatch with a manual transmission in brown!

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER

CornHolio posted:

Man I like the GT but I'd really want that digital dash.

Personally this is what I'm surprised by. I'd expect the conversation/realization to go the other way. "I wanted a new Mustang but after seeing the interior I realized I could get a 3-year-old Merc for the same price and it'd be WAY nicer!"

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Well here's the main problem i see coming that my wife can't see because she's looking through Mustang tinted glasses. She currently drives an LS430 over 50 miles a day to work in traffic. I think once the novelty of the Mustang wears off she's gonna miss the LS. She hasn't driven a Mustang yet so we'll see....I have a feeling the ride is gonna be too harsh for her coming from the Lexus.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Maybe convince her she needs a murano evoque convertible

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

I've been trying to convince her to get another LS with lower miles, it's just such a good car. If she wants a Mustang that's alright tho because it sounds fun and I'll get to drive it too, but she's the one that's gonna be stuck commuting in it lol