Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

That's also a weakness of the source material. It gets especially bad after the initial generation mostly dies off and you just have Sleeping Dragon and Sima Yi.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Terrible Opinions posted:

That's also a weakness of the source material. It gets especially bad after the initial generation mostly dies off and you just have Sleeping Dragon and Sima Yi.

I kind of like it since it ties in to the whole thematic thing of history repeating. The characters are lesser versions of archetypical predecessors and realize it, that they're merely the ripples reflecting back from the edge of the pond.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Since tv shows have come up a lot in this thread lately, would people be interested in “historically-inspired tv shows” megathread in TVIV? I don’t think any of them are big enough to fuel an independent thread but as a whole there might be more interest.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Since tv shows have come up a lot in this thread lately, would people be interested in “historically-inspired tv shows” megathread in TVIV? I don’t think any of them are big enough to fuel an independent thread but as a whole there might be more interest.

As a lurker, absolutely.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

P-Mack posted:

I kind of like it since it ties in to the whole thematic thing of history repeating. The characters are lesser versions of archetypical predecessors and realize it, that they're merely the ripples reflecting back from the edge of the pond.
this happened in Tale of Genji as well, where Genji died and his emo kid and his emo kid's best friend become the main characters

Guildencrantz
May 1, 2012

IM ONE OF THE GOOD ONES

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Yes, definitely. I love that poo poo and there's really nowhere to talk about it.

To maintain the derail, I'm on The Last Kingdom right now thanks to this thread because I love Anglo-Saxon stuff, but I'm still thinking of dropping it mid-first season because the protagonist is such a completely unlikable shitlord, does that get any better?

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

Guildencrantz posted:

Yes, definitely. I love that poo poo and there's really nowhere to talk about it.

To maintain the derail, I'm on The Last Kingdom right now thanks to this thread because I love Anglo-Saxon stuff, but I'm still thinking of dropping it mid-first season because the protagonist is such a completely unlikable shitlord, does that get any better?

The show gets better but Uhtred remains an rear end in a top hat.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Guildencrantz posted:

In the books his antagonists are even bigger shitlords, sometimes to the point of being caricatures. I like the books though, but my preferred vikings show is the Vikings.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

Guildencrantz posted:

this is true to the books

basically everyone back then was a shitlord, except for the one priest who was cool

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

“historically-inspired tv shows”
the new poirot fuckingg kicks rear end

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Wait really

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
yeah really

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
There's a new Poirot?

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

There's a new Poirot?
three episodes only so far, set many years after the first one. it's about getting old, being famous, and nazis. also someone makes a wildly improbable shot with a pistol in the third episode, which kinda ruined the backstory reveal the show had been working up to up till then

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Hello. Yep, I still think Atlantis is Bolivia, yep, I'm still a giant idiot, yep, I'm still a huge racist. Some things never change!

HEY GUNS posted:

three episodes only so far, set many years after the first one. it's about getting old, being famous, and nazis. also someone makes a wildly improbable shot with a pistol in the third episode, which kinda ruined the backstory reveal the show had been working up to up till then

Is it anything like the serie from the 90's with David Suchet in terms of quality and storytelling?

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Dalael posted:

Is it anything like the serie from the 90's with David Suchet in terms of quality and storytelling?
Just as high-quality but darker. Think same continuity but this Poirot is about ten years after his heyday and dealing with how that feels. Similar beautiful sets. You get a better sense of the cold mind behind the cute exterior, and a better sense of how from Poirot's point of view what everyone else calls "vanity" is a profound sense of dignity and self-respect.

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Hello. Yep, I still think Atlantis is Bolivia, yep, I'm still a giant idiot, yep, I'm still a huge racist. Some things never change!

HEY GUNS posted:

Just as high-quality but darker. Think same continuity but this Poirot is about ten years after his heyday and dealing with how that feels. Similar beautiful sets. You get a better sense of the cold mind behind the cute exterior.

I will definitely check it out then. Poirot was possibly the best show out there in the early 90's. And I just read that John Malkovich plays poirot so that's an added bonus.

Guildencrantz
May 1, 2012

IM ONE OF THE GOOD ONES

bewbies posted:

this is true to the books

basically everyone back then was a shitlord, except for the one priest who was cool

I don't think this is me applying modern morals to these Iron Age characters though. Like, I liked Vikings before it jumped the shark, and Ragnar there is obviously not a good person by any stretch of the imagination, but the character has charisma. Meanwhile Uhtred is an annoying entitled brat with a bloated ego and all the other characters are constantly pointing out how his actions are lovely by the standards of their world, and why on earth am I expected to root for this guy again?

The main reason I'm still watching is that there's not much else out there to scratch that Saxon itch (other than portraying them as hapless victims of cool vikings) and a lot of the secondary characters own. The show's take on King Alfred is great (heh) and the guy playing him knocks it out of the park imo.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Dalael posted:

I will definitely check it out then. Poirot was possibly the best show out there in the early 90's. And I just read that John Malkovich plays poirot so that's an added bonus.
I grew up on the original Poirot and I love it still. This one is an explicit reaction to it (the leitmotif is the perils of nostalgia and how weird fandom is) but it's just as good. Think...another view of the same person you know. But he's older now, and thinking about some heavy things. There is also an unexpected backstory reveal, which you might not like but I liked.

edit: and if you want cool cars and women in neat hats, which is the reason we all tuned in to the original, there is that

HEY GUNS fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Jan 3, 2019

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Guildencrantz posted:

To be fair he is literally a whiny teenager. He's supposed to come across as a poo poo lord.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

Guildencrantz posted:

I don't think this is me applying modern morals to these Iron Age characters though. Like, I liked Vikings before it jumped the shark, and Ragnar there is obviously not a good person by any stretch of the imagination, but the character has charisma. Meanwhile Uhtred is an annoying entitled brat with a bloated ego and all the other characters are constantly pointing out how his actions are lovely by the standards of their world, and why on earth am I expected to root for this guy again?

The main reason I'm still watching is that there's not much else out there to scratch that Saxon itch (other than portraying them as hapless victims of cool vikings) and a lot of the secondary characters own. The show's take on King Alfred is great (heh) and the guy playing him knocks it out of the park imo.

If it follows the books he gradually grows up...a lot of the books is sort of like him admitting he was a juvenile idiot on the reg. This might be hard to pull off on a TV show though.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

HEY GUNS posted:

Just as high-quality but darker. Think same continuity but this Poirot is about ten years after his heyday and dealing with how that feels. Similar beautiful sets. You get a better sense of the cold mind behind the cute exterior, and a better sense of how from Poirot's point of view what everyone else calls "vanity" is a profound sense of dignity and self-respect.

Sold.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
You will see when that loving pistol shot I keep talking about happens though

Sarern
Nov 4, 2008

:toot:
Won't you take me to
Bomertown?
Won't you take me to
BONERTOWN?

:toot:

Guildencrantz posted:

Although Uhtred was a huge jackass, I did like how he kept warning Alfred and family about their enemies, only to be ignored, punished, and whatever else happened after I stopped reading. It felt almost like a prequel series to Coriolanus - he was generally correct but also generally an rear end in a top hat.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012
The Last Kingdom is based on the Bernard Cornwell books, right? Might take a look. Got a few days of freedom from work, until the current events become history.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

sullat posted:

The Last Kingdom is based on the Bernard Cornwell books, right? Might take a look. Got a few days of freedom from work, until the current events become history.

correct, but they tend to condense two or three books into a single season

Fell Fire
Jan 30, 2012

my bony fealty posted:

Hope this is not too far off-topic: currently reading Tacitus's Annals and in the intro emphasizes that his style of Latin is quite strange and unique, at least among surviving texts. As such I've resolved to make an attempt to learn how to read Latin, something which I last did in 9th grade several years ago. I would very much like to eventually be able to read Tacitus, Suetonius, the Augustan History, etc in the original after enjoying them in English.

Can anyone recommend resources for learning Latin? Is [url="https:////https://www.amazon.com/Wheelocks-Latin-7th/dp/0061997226"]Wheelock's Latin[/url] still a good start (+ accompanying workbook)? I did take some classes in middle/high school years back as mentioned, but I doubt that will be very helpful beyond recalling some vocabulary.

Duolinguo does not have Latin, sadly, nor Memrise. Any language apps that do and are good for vocabulary/grammar practice?

I'd say Wheelock is not a great source for learning to read. It's more meant to help with vocabulary and make you the Captain America of Classical references.

The guy who replaced me is apparently using that with 8th graders. I don't want to think about how boring that might be and how it means they threw out everything I had developed. I'm a bit bitter.

If you want to learn how to read Latin, I would suggest trying out Lingua Latina. Be aware, it's entirely in Latin, so if you don't remember much, you may want to pick up the college companion.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

P-Mack posted:

This is the main selling points of the Norse sagas, which is what I dig about them as well.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Viking cat archeology is my exact fetish.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Pontius Pilate posted:

Roman emperors used violet dye. Jesus lead a peaceful life but had to violently die.
This is from like a dozen pages ago but :golfclap:

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

My Dad was complaining about the History Channel not showing history so I gave him my copies of lives of the caesers and conquest of Gaul. I am curious if he actually reads them.

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

Is there some ancient anthropology connection between horses and oceans RE:Poseidon?

FishFood
Apr 1, 2012

Now with brine shrimp!
Poseidon is also the god of earthquakes and storms, so I wonder if the connection is through that. But I don't know ancient Greek so I'm not sure if "thundering of hooves" has a similar equivalent or if they would have connected the sound of horses to storms or earthquakes.

So I'm just talking out my rear end, basically.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Baron Porkface posted:

Is there some ancient anthropology connection between horses and oceans RE:Poseidon?

Oh but of course.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

Baron Porkface posted:

I would look more at horses and water because you also get a bunch of things like silkies.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Telsa Cola posted:

I would look more at horses and water because you also get a bunch of things like silkies.

???

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Selkie

Variants in all sorts of cultures.

Selkies are actually seals though; he's thinking of Kelpies

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kelpie

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

Telsa Cola posted:

If you mean selkies, they're from Scottish/Orkney myth, and they're seals who can transform into people by shedding their skin, and the standard Selkie story is guy steals Selkie woman"s skin, trapping her in human form and marrying her, and then later, she gets her skin back, turns into a seal and goes back to the ocean.

Greek myth did have the hippocamp, which pulled Poseidon's chariot, and they had the front of a horse and the rear of a fish.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Baron Porkface posted:

It is more probable that Poseidon is a syncretic figure of 1) a horse-god associated with the underworld (there was an old Arcadian myth about horse-Poseidon raping horse-Demeter which seems to have an echo in the Eleusinian mystery story of Hades and Persephone) and 2) a Homeric/Hesiodic god whose sphere was that of the waters, as Zeus received the sky and Hades the underearth, and despite the preexistence of other river/sea deities. Why this association originally arose is not clear (to me anyway, though there are water/horse traditions elsewhere in Europe).

FishFood posted:

Poseidon is also the god of earthquakes and storms, so I wonder if the connection is through that. But I don't know ancient Greek so I'm not sure if "thundering of hooves" has a similar equivalent or if they would have connected the sound of horses to storms or earthquakes.

So I'm just talking out my rear end, basically.

It goes the other way, earthshaking is associated with water by the ancient Greeks more so than with horses (cf the pre-Socratic philosopher Thales trying to demystify earthquakes by opining that the earth rests on a great body of water, which intermittently shakes the earth with its waves).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

Joining the discussion to give another "out of the rear end" perspective. Ships are sometimes equated with horses in poetry because they perform similar roles, and you get such things as horse head prows: