Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

McGurk
Oct 20, 2004

Cuz life sucks, kids. Get it while you can.

https://www.costco.com/Golden-Arowana-Cappuccino-HDPC-Waterproof-Plank-Flooring-.product.100472482.html

Anyone have any opinions on this product or similar? Looks like it’s going on sale next month.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bred
Oct 24, 2008

TheManWithNoName posted:

https://www.costco.com/Golden-Arowana-Cappuccino-HDPC-Waterproof-Plank-Flooring-.product.100472482.html

Anyone have any opinions on this product or similar? Looks like it’s going on sale next month.

I have the Golden Arowana bamboo floor. I ordered the matching molding from their site (https://goldenarowanaflooring.com/) and I remember it taking 2-3 weeks to come. I wish I ordered 2 more sticks of molding: one because I didn't plan right and another because I made a mistake. I did about 750sqft.

Kritzkrieg Kop
Nov 4, 2009
What are some of your favorite ways of dealing with hard water? Inside of my shower looks like dried milk sometimes.

Droo
Jun 25, 2003

Kritzkrieg Kop posted:

What are some of your favorite ways of dealing with hard water? Inside of my shower looks like dried milk sometimes.

Install a good quality water softener

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Droo posted:

Install a good quality water softener

This is the correct answer.

Anything else is just dealing with symptoms that you can see (staining) and not what it's doing to your water heater, pipes and faucets.

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010

Grumpwagon posted:

Someone in this thread had a recommended toilet (Motronic?) but I can't find the post. Mind reposting it please?

I think there was thread discussion on the American Standard Champion Mark 4, that's what I put in when we moved, they've been great. Haven't managed to cause a problem in six months.

Well, the problem I had was one old toilet had a four foot hair snake when we lifted the old toilet off. That was pretty bad.

Edit: autocorrect, drat you

Alarbus fucked around with this message at 06:10 on Dec 28, 2018

Tim Thomas
Feb 12, 2008
breakdancin the night away
I will stan for Kohler Aquapiston models. I have an Archer and one of the small form factor ones, I forget the name. I take A Heavy Deuce and I have had zero clogs in six years.

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007
I am a giant assfuck who needs to harden the fuck up.

Thanks for the suggestions (and I found the original post, it was for the American Standard Champion 4 Max Tall).

After spending more time than is healthy looking at toilets today, I apparently want the unicorn of toilets. Round, standard height, but not the bargain basement parts and flush that those choices seem to imply. If I wanted a $50 toilet with those options, I'd be spoiled for choice, but decent parts apparently mandate tall elongated toilets.

As long as I'm dreaming, it being available at Menard's where I have a gift card, would be icing.

Grumpwagon fucked around with this message at 05:29 on Dec 28, 2018

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
I just dropped a few hundo on a closetmaid garage organization setup. I am unreasonably excited about it coming in and installing it. My garage is going to be SO ORGANIZED.:fap:

Just need to install some more studs in the wall to give me 16" spacing for it instead of the current 24" before it arrives.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

SpartanIvy posted:

I just dropped a few hundo on a closetmaid garage organization setup. I am unreasonably excited about it coming in and installing it. My garage is going to be SO ORGANIZED.:fap:

Just need to install some more studs in the wall to give me 16" spacing for it instead of the current 24" before it arrives.

You could also surface mount 1x4s or plywood the walls to give you unlimited mounting options. Much faster than tearing down and rebuilding a wall at the loss of 1/2”.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Started looking into some sort of wireless interconnected smoke/CO2 alarms since my house was built in the 80's and just has a bunch of stand alone units. I'd really rather not have to run wiring all over the house, so I was looking at these:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Kidde-B...27448/205133645

but they're ionization-type detection only. First Alert offers a similar product, but they're photoelectric sensor only. Are either of these a reliable option? Just get this three pack and put them outside bedrooms/in garage/in basement near furnace, and still have photo/ion stand-alone sensor(s) elsewhere in the house?

Droo
Jun 25, 2003

brugroffil posted:

Started looking into some sort of wireless interconnected smoke/CO2 alarms since my house was built in the 80's and just has a bunch of stand alone units. I'd really rather not have to run wiring all over the house, so I was looking at these:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Kidde-B...27448/205133645

but they're ionization-type detection only. First Alert offers a similar product, but they're photoelectric sensor only. Are either of these a reliable option? Just get this three pack and put them outside bedrooms/in garage/in basement near furnace, and still have photo/ion stand-alone sensor(s) elsewhere in the house?

I recently replaced mine and I wasn't able to find an alarm that did both kinds of fire AND carbon monoxide - it seemed like only combinations of up to 2 types were available. I ended up buying combination Ionization/CO smoke alarms for my hardwired house and adding a wireless PV smoke alarm on each floor connected to my home security system to get full coverage. If you are just installing battery operated ones in the first place you can just buy a couple different styles to achieve the same thing.

One thing I learned during the process is that typical CO alarms have a hilariously high threshold for CO before they start going off - something like 100 PPM where adverse health effects can start occurring after prolonged exposure to 10ppm. You can buy a more sensitive alarm but it will cost about $150.

Sublimer
Sep 20, 2007
get yo' game up

I'm looking to have a vapor barrier installed in my crawl space. Anything I need to be aware of when getting quotes from companies?

Dreadite
Dec 31, 2004

College Slice
Dumb question: how does one identify a good resource in their local township for a particular service? Let's say I need blinds in my house, how do I find the best company to provide this? Just Google reviews? Angie's list? My neighbors?

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002
Send Help; Trapped in Stupid Factory
I was on a Facebook group for my town called "What's Happening in (town name)". There were a lot of home improvement companies and associated recommendations I could search through to find what I needed. Or use the Nextdoor app and ask for a referral.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Referrals are always best, especially if you can see a couple examples of the work itself if it’s someone you know.

If you’re more desperate your local papers probably give awards, not that that’s an indication of anything other than the company probably not being a sham.

If you’re even more desperate you can ask on Nextdoor.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
I found the guy who does everything related to my yard (including chopping up the 75' tree that just destroyed my fence) by walking around my neighborhood and seeing his crew work on a house that had a really nice yard.

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

FUCK BITCHES, ROUTE PACKETS

Gravy Boat 2k
I just finished remodeling about 400 sq feet of my basement into a family room and now it's the warmest part of the house since it was insulated properly. Now I want to rip all my walls down and re-insulate the whole house. It's like 75 degrees down here while everywhere else is between 70 - 66

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Sepist posted:

I just finished remodeling about 400 sq feet of my basement into a family room and now it's the warmest part of the house since it was insulated properly. Now I want to rip all my walls down and re-insulate the whole house. It's like 75 degrees down here while everywhere else is between 70 - 66

Is there a stud cavity? Blown in insulation is a godsend. Takes literally half a day for a crew to do it, or probably 2 days and a case of beer for you and your buddies. (One day is you getting the rental and materials to your house.)

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

We're in the process of getting some blown insulation in; you should look to see whether your city or state offers any incentives for it - ours offers a rebate up of 75% of the cost of insulation and weatherization improvements, which is amazing and there's no reason not to do it.

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

FUCK BITCHES, ROUTE PACKETS

Gravy Boat 2k

H110Hawk posted:

Is there a stud cavity? Blown in insulation is a godsend. Takes literally half a day for a crew to do it, or probably 2 days and a case of beer for you and your buddies. (One day is you getting the rental and materials to your house.)

Yea its studs. I'll have to look into this and see if there are any incentives.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Sepist posted:

Yea its studs. I'll have to look into this and see if there are any incentives.

It was a night and day difference in our comfort level. The house doesn't swing with the outside temperature nearly as much or as quickly. After incentives in California it was a few grand. Best money I've ever spent.

Manwich
Oct 3, 2002

Grrrrah

Kritzkrieg Kop posted:

Late, but if you want to just attack the symptoms. Bar Keepers Friend works. Make a paste or buy the paste, leave on for 15 minutes and get to scrubbing. You need an acidic cleaner to cut through the base of soap + minerals.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Motronic posted:

Your lawyer doesn't need to know anything about floor joists. Their job it to assemble the correct people to correct evidence and opinions so you can be made whole through civil proceedings or the threats thereof.

Seriously, if that was a real response you need to fire your attorney and find someone competent. This isn't going away any other way unless it involves you spending your own money to get it fixed.

That sounds like spending thousands of lawyer dollars when I don’t 100% for sure know I’ve got a problem.

I do know 100% one of my neighbors has a problem, unless they somehow already noticed it and got it fixed, maybe I’ll start there.

May also contact the other truss company I w already chatted with and see what they think.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer

Manwich posted:

Late, but if you want to just attack the symptoms. Bar Keepers Friend works. Make a paste or buy the paste, leave on for 15 minutes and get to scrubbing. You need an acidic cleaner to cut through the base of soap + minerals.

I keep a spray bottle of vinegar water in the shower and a scrub brush and spray the bathtub down every couple of showers and scrub it real quick before I get out of the shower.

vinegar rules for cleaning.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

bird with big dick posted:

That sounds like spending thousands of lawyer dollars when I don’t 100% for sure know I’ve got a problem.

It's been a while, but didn't you say the floor was soft/bouncy there?

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

It’s impossible to say for certain whether it’s unusual or excessive bounce/deflection. I think there might be but I’m also biased/paranoid at this point.

Also one of the areas of concern is under tile which makes it totally impossible to tell I would say.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

It’s impossible to say for certain whether it’s unusual or excessive bounce/deflection. I think there might be but I’m also biased/paranoid at this point.

Also one of the areas of concern is under tile which makes it totally impossible to tell I would say.

So literally any decent contractor can walk across the floor/jump up and down and know what it's supposed to feel like to give you an idea of whether this is normal for those trusses or excessive. Potentially by walking into another unit with the same trusses properly oriented in a similar state of finish.

From there deflection tests may be warranted, which are little more than a line level across the floor and weights places in various places and using a tape measure to check deflection.

You need to decide if this is a problem or not. You need to decide if your lawyer is the right one or not.

Or just let it go.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

There's people coming to fix the one that I know is wrong, so I'm going to interrogate them some more.

I also bought an endoscope type camera, gonna try and snake it in from the unfinished area and/or see if I can see anything through can light receptacles. If those don't work, a few 3/8" holes may be drilled in the sheetrock. The problem with the camera is going to be insulation being in the way and the camera will have to be in almost the exact right spot to really be able to tell whether it's upside down, but for $35 I figure it's worth a try and if it doesn't pan out I can use it for amateur colonoscopies.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Motronic posted:

So literally any decent contractor can walk across the floor/jump up and down and know what it's supposed to feel like to give you an idea of whether this is normal for those trusses or excessive. Potentially by walking into another unit with the same trusses properly oriented in a similar state of finish.

Under tile? I don't think so.

And it's going to depend on the length of the truss.

And in another unit you don't know for certain theirs are correct either so "the same" doesn't mean "correct."

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

You seem helpless to take advice, hire advice or figure this out on your own. I suggest giving up.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Hiring a contractor to look at it is probably a good next step if I can't confirm it on my own, I just know that you're wrong in terms of any good one being able to easily figure it out just by walking on it.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Yes, surely I am wrong about this very simple comparative test that can be followed up with "things you can carry up from your truck in one hand."

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

What if there’s only one that’s upside down and it’s the one that’s under the kitchen cabinets?

I think I’ll tear out the drywall, it’s the only way to know for sure so I’ll end up there eventually, might as well cut out the intermediaries.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

What if there’s only one that’s upside down and it’s the one that’s under the kitchen cabinets?

I think I’ll tear out the drywall, it’s the only way to know for sure so I’ll end up there eventually, might as well cut out the intermediaries.

You're stringing in pertinent information as you go along. In this case the deflection is measured from below. And whatever you have going on where you think you need to tear up drywall is either wrong, or yet more information you've left out.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

I'm getting a strong "I'll just chop off the top of these I-beams so that my bathtub can be a little lower, no need to ask a professional" vibe from these posts

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:

QuarkJets posted:

I'm getting a strong "I'll just chop off the top of these I-beams so that my bathtub can be a little lower, no need to ask a professional" vibe from these posts

I long to be involved with an all-timer like that from the outset.

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.
Anyone have any suggestions on drilling holes from the top of my house to the bottom?

I have a couple weeks off between jobs, so I'm planning on finally running a few long-overdue Ethernet cables along my house. I have a 3/4" drill bit with flex/extension attachments, but it's clearly not long enough to go from my attic to the crawl space.

What is the best strategy here? I've finally identified an interior wall that appears to go all the way from the attic to the crawl space. This would span 2 floors, so would I want to cut an "access" hole in the drywall on each floor and then cover it up later with a blank wall plate? Or do I want to try to find a REALLY long extension attachment and go straight from the attic to the crawl space?

My basic plan is to use the upstairs laundry room as my primary IT closet. I can splice in to the cable/phone lines in the crawl space, so my plan is to run those up to the attic then back down in to the laundry room, where I'll keep the modem and router. Then I'll run Ethernet BACK down to the crawl space so I can get it to where the TV is. I'm not keeping this all downstairs because I have an office upstairs, and the TV will move up there eventually. On top of that, I'd like to eventually run an antenna cable down so I can have an antenna in the attic (roof?) and run it to the TV downstairs.

Once this attic-to-crawl space backbone is created, dropping something to any room should be dead simple from either the attic or the crawl space, but this is the biggest hurdle to getting things wired up.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
I think a hole in sheetrock to drill a hole is necessary unless you can find an existing cavity. Perhaps follow HVAC or plumbing fixtures?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.

SpartanIvy posted:

I think a hole in sheetrock to drill a hole is necessary unless you can find an existing cavity. Perhaps follow HVAC or plumbing fixtures?

I've been casually searching for an easy way for a while, and nothing has come up yet except for this one wall. It basically borders the staircase, so it's probably my best candidate. I mean, I guess there are 2 walls that border the stairs, but the other one is adjacent to the downstairs HVAC return, so it'll be a challenge to find a good spot to drill through. The downstairs floor plan is very different from the upstairs, so there really aren't many common interior walls between floors.

The HVAC system is dual zone, so there's no interconnection between floors. As far as a wet wall, there is no such thing that I can readily identify. Haven't looked very hard, but the bathrooms/etc are in such different spots between floors that there isn't an obvious place for all the piping to run through.