Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
In conclusion, Firemoth is an archipelago of contrasts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Doc Hawkins posted:

Why can't I join them

Why can't I unleash my inner skeleton

Because you need to find and download a mod for that. Too complicated. :effort:

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Who actually uses propylon chambers

Entropy238
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

Meyers-Briggs Testicle posted:

I don't - but I like doing quests!

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?

I feel like I do, but I think I actually don't.

I think I mostly used them while doing mod quests. They're convenient for Rise of House Telvanni, and they're involved at least for Great House Dagoth.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

i use them while doing vampire things. i also have been known to take up residence in hlormaren in some games, and as a result have sometimes used the propylon network in conjunction with interventions to get around vvardenfell really fast.

ambient oatmeal
Jun 23, 2012

I remember them making me afraid the game was going to crash with all the particle effects

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

Addamere posted:

It was so poo poo that it was linked in the OP of this thread for years. :nallears:

I've said pretty much this exact thing before: other heavily-modded games often have no issue having one-and-done modpack installers, some with support for modular choices like the Lazy Newb Pack for Dwarf Fortress. It should be so easy and simple for one of the many people who respond how easy and simple it is to just install the handful of essential mods to make a modpack installer that does exactly that, but instead there is this weird cultural aversion to it that seems specific to Morrowind.

No one's stopping you. Be the change you want to see in the world instead of whining incessantly.

Captain Scandinaiva
Mar 29, 2010

Weren't the official plugins made to showcase the modding tools and what was possible rather than add useful/good content? Siege of Firemoth owns though.

Also, I think the "problem" with making modding packs for Morrowind is the fact the scene is still so active. There are few definitive versions of popular mods, they are still being developed. Hence any pack would become obsolete or incompatible pretty quickly.

kazr
Jan 28, 2005

Morrowind Gold Pack is the one true mod pack. The way it was meant to be played

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
I am punch monk, I sap the enemy's fatigue with multiple low cost spells then punch them to death.

I love that this is an option.

soscannonballs
Dec 6, 2007

I have upgraded from having to cast fatigue damage spells. Now I cast a spell that turns me into Goku for 10 seconds by increasing my h2h skill by 100 points.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender
Make sure you have a spell that does magic damage in an area with all sliders set to maximum and call it Spirit Bomb. Cheat it in if you have to.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

keyboard vomit posted:

I remember them making me afraid the game was going to crash with all the particle effects

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
I just want a mod that will give every character in the game boobs and a beard

Jeff Goldblum
Dec 3, 2009

Leal posted:

I am punch monk, I sap the enemy's fatigue with multiple low cost spells then punch them to death.

I love that this is an option.

I like when you shift to third person and watch the Nerevarine autistically thrashing an unconscious Vivec.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

Herstory Begins Now posted:

There's two competing mods that do this, Yagum All of 'Em, and Everyone Bagarn. The difference is up to you to find out they're both lore-unfriendly in diff ways

Jeff Goldblum posted:

I like when you shift to third person and watch the Nerevarine autistically thrashing an unconscious Vivec.

"Whether I allow it is in my wisdom" *collapses*

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

SniperWoreConverse posted:

Vivec has cannonically achieved CHIM, hasn't he? If so then why is it possible to defeat him?

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003

SniperWoreConverse posted:

There's two competing mods that do this, Yagum All of 'Em, and Everyone Bagarn. The difference is up to you to find out they're both lore-unfriendly in diff ways

neither has boobs on the legs, not endorsing

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Addamere posted:

Vivec has cannonically achieved CHIM, hasn't he?

I'm not sure he used a cannon to achieve CHIM, but yeah.

Addamere posted:

If so then why is it possible to defeat him?

He explains that when he dies, he just gets to resurrect when he wishes afterward, and find out no time has passed at all. He implies that he even killed himself (or let himself be killed) just to experiment. So he's not really concerned about not dying. He doesn't feel threatened by being vanquished in combat. It's all like, big whoop, I can take it, I don't care. Except that he doesn't know he has lost so much of his god powers that he won't resurrect anymore, woops!

Further, he doesn't care as long as Dagoth Ur is defeated. Then it's a win in his book. Nothing else matters to him anymore.

Morrowind dialogue with Vivec posted:

to be a god
It is like being a juggler. Things are always moving, and you learn to know where they are without even thinking about it. Only there are many, many things moving. And sometimes, like any juggler, you drop something. I'm afraid it has become a lot more a matter of dropping things lately. There's too much to do, and not enough time, and I'm losing my touch. Perhaps I'm growing old.

It is a bit like being at once awake and asleep. Awake, I am here with you, thinking and talking. Asleep, I am very, very busy. Perhaps for other gods, the completely immortal ones, it is only like that being asleep. Out of time. Me, I exist at once inside of time and outside of it.

It's nice never being dead, too. When I die in the world of time, then I'm completely asleep. I'm very much aware that all I have to do is choose to wake. And I'm alive again. Many times I have very deliberately tried to wait patiently, a very long, long time before choosing to wake up. And no matter how long it feels like I wait, it always appears, when I wake up, that no time has passed at all. That is the god place. The place out of time, where everything is always happening, all at once.

remember being mortal
I remember. I do not feel it. I can, if I choose, remember the feeling. But I do not choose. It is very, very sad being mortal. There is happiness, yes. But mostly sadness. As I have said, "Count only the happy hours." For mortals, they are all too few. But for gods -- for me -- there is no more feeling. Only knowing. [Pause]

Not quite no more feeling. I still want to win. I want to defeat Dagoth Ur. Perhaps I have lost the feeling for the people, for their suffering. I don't want that feeling. It is no use to me. That is no longer what matters to me. I only want not to lose .To lose would be very, very bitter.

If winning requires the Nerevarine killing him, then fine, he's ready for that. He even wrote a book saying that the Nerevarine should kill him.

Sermon Thirteen of The Thirty-Six Lessons of Vivec posted:

If there is to be an end I must be removed. The ruling king must know this, and I will test him. I will murder him time and again until he knows this.

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

Herstory Begins Now posted:

Set your monitors power setting to off.

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice
I like the bitter coast sounds mod. And firemoth is hilarious, I couldn’t stop cackling when I played it. Especially at one break in the skeletons when I talked to my bros because they were hurt and I was going to die and all they’d say was “why are you trying to talk to us, there are skeletons to kill.”

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010

Pewdiepie posted:

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Big fuckin news

https://streamable.com/iqvdg

Greatness7 has nearly finished his blender script which means no weird hacks or ancient versions of blender for morrowind animations. Ever wonder why theyre still poo poo? Because up until now you had to hop through a hundred flaming hoops to move a hand.

Check the link for an example of how easy this is going to be (1 frame animation test)

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?

Big fuckin news

https://streamable.com/iqvdg

Greatness7 has nearly finished his blender script which means no weird hacks or ancient versions of blender for morrowind animations. Ever wonder why theyre still poo poo? Because up until now you had to hop through a hundred flaming hoops to move a hand.

Check the link for an example of how easy this is going to be (1 frame animation test)

:aaaaa:

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
what does this mean for the Morrowind strut

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Gyshall posted:

what does this mean for the Morrowind strut

New and improved

https://streamable.com/qwowy

Proletarian Mango
May 21, 2011

How's he firing up Morrowind so fast/updating his file in-game?

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Upmarket Mango posted:

How's he firing up Morrowind so fast/updating his file in-game?

https://www.nexusmods.com/morrowind/mods/45952

Plus his script

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
I didn't realize immediately that the thing between the legs was the character's head and for a moment I thought the pony tail was a dong.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Real talk, holy poo poo those animations rock. Can't wait to see them included in MGSO :smuggo:

Entropy238
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
Why is all of this crazy modding stuff happening with Morrowind at the moment? It seems like over the past year or so there's been a massive spike in adding additional functionality to the original engine and to the capabilities of mods in general.

I was originally pretty excited for OpenMW but my reasons for caring about it are kind of diminishing.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Entropy238 posted:

Why is all of this crazy modding stuff happening with Morrowind at the moment? It seems like over the past year or so there's been a massive spike in adding additional functionality to the original engine and to the capabilities of mods in general.

I was originally pretty excited for OpenMW but my reasons for caring about it are kind of diminishing.

Like a cicada, hrnchamd (mcp and mgexe) came back right when a super motivated dev added lua support to mwse. His encyclopedic knowledge of mw assembly code put it into overdrive. TR reassembled over the past few years and released alongside the bolstered province teams. The morrowind modding discord banned two toxic people and a ton of new folks havent been driven away.

Openmw had a dev leave because github was bought by ms and hes a conspiracy nut. He was also the one working on shadows, shaders, and distant land. The lead dev runs the project into the ground by assuming mod makers will be inherently malicious and doesnt want to let openmw run external libraries like lua. Instead they plan on incorporating functions into their future script. Want a neat function? Hope it gets merged in a few months!

Entropy238
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
That's pretty interesting (and great).

I'm still not quite sure what LUA is, how it makes all the new poo poo with the engine possible and why nobody thought to use it before now but it's great to see everything that's happening.

Is there any sense about the sort of stuff that might be coming to the original engine over the next year or so?

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Openmw had a dev leave because github was bought by ms and hes a conspiracy nut. He was also the one working on shadows, shaders, and distant land. The lead dev runs the project into the ground by assuming mod makers will be inherently malicious and doesnt want to let openmw run external libraries like lua. Instead they plan on incorporating functions into their future script. Want a neat function? Hope it gets merged in a few months!

So is OpenMW in limbo then? If so i'll just strip down my install and go back to my classic Morrowind+MGXE+Code Patch installation.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003

Pewdiepie posted:

why tf you think i want representation in game

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Entropy238 posted:

That's pretty interesting (and great).

I'm still not quite sure what LUA is, how it makes all the new poo poo with the engine possible and why nobody thought to use it before now but it's great to see everything that's happening.

Is there any sense about the sort of stuff that might be coming to the original engine over the next year or so?

Lua is a reasonably robust programming language thats also snappy and simple enough for this kind of thing. No one thought to do it because openmw was supposed to do it. They say they will, post 1.0 aka never, so Nullcascade took it on himself.

The really brief summary of how this works is the same way mwse works. Open morrowind in a debugger and poke at it until you find a bit of memory that does what you want. Write a bit of c code that edits that memory or passes data to that function and youve just made a new function.

Morrowind (and every other program) loads dlls, so you can edit that and rerelease it to load your side function library as well. Now everyone has that function.

Thats how old mwse works, lua just lets you quickly and easily make mods without esps.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

chaosapiant posted:

So is OpenMW in limbo then? If so i'll just strip down my install and go back to my classic Morrowind+MGXE+Code Patch installation.

Openmw has been in limbo for going on a year now. Progress is slower than before and the new devs are slowly spooling up. Maybe in a few years theyll get up to speed but right now MWSE-Lua blows it out of the water in terms of QOL. Null also made my transferitem function i requested, so expect a fully featured fallout 4 style quickloot in a few days.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Openmw has been in limbo for going on a year now. Progress is slower than before and the new devs are slowly spooling up. Maybe in a few years theyll get up to speed but right now MWSE-Lua blows it out of the water in terms of QOL. Null also made my transferitem function i requested, so expect a fully featured fallout 4 style quickloot in a few days.

I'm jumping ship for now then. I barely keep up with the news anymore and it had seemed like just yesterday that OpenMW was reaching milestone after milestone. And apparently MGXE has been updated some in the last year or two?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.

so expect a fully featured fallout 4 style quickloot in a few days.

Holy poo poo