Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

1001 Arabian dicks
Sep 16, 2013

EVE ONLINE IS MY ENTIRE PERSONALITY BECAUSE IM A FRIENDLESS SEMILITERATE LOSER WHO WILL PEDANTICALLY DEMAND PROOF FOR BASIC THINGS LIKE GRAVITY OR THE EXISTENCE OF SELF. ASK ME ABOUT CHEATING AT TARKOV BECAUSE, WELL, SEE ABOVE

Holyshoot posted:

Very nice. Try to do it to a popular streamer so we can see clips.

I've been taking pictures, recording and playing this game makes it really hard to get 45+ fps

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tei
Feb 19, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!

mike12345 posted:

I watch Forsen, and it's the most dada cyberpunk experience available. Three different music pieces blaring over voice chat at all times, samples of "Allahu Akbar" on permanent loop, high level chinese players whose characters don't display properly ganking people, again a different song blaring from voice chat, this time finnish polka or something, people burning, shouting around, griefing their own team, griefing everyone else, alpha animals. In the words of Twitch, "pure cancer and aids".

Your description is just perfect. Can't watch that stream longer that 5 seconds. I am happy they are putting the fire below the chinese. Atlas is a beautiful game when everything is on fire.

RocketRaygun
Nov 7, 2015

Well, that didn't take long. Goons are now at war with MAGA.

They moved in next door, started loving with our allies. So we sunk a bunch of their ships.

It's go time. Join today!

GoGoGadget
Apr 29, 2006

RocketRaygun posted:

They moved in next door, started loving with our allies. So we sunk a bunch of their ships.

Apparently a few companies are turning on them after they betrayed some allies. There's a post about it on Reddit.

https://www.reddit.com/r/playatlas/comments/abykp4/maga_backstabbing_allies_while_fighting_chinese/?utm_source=reddit-android

FileNotFound
Jul 17, 2005

RocketRaygun posted:

Why do goons hate America?!

1001 Arabian dicks
Sep 16, 2013

EVE ONLINE IS MY ENTIRE PERSONALITY BECAUSE IM A FRIENDLESS SEMILITERATE LOSER WHO WILL PEDANTICALLY DEMAND PROOF FOR BASIC THINGS LIKE GRAVITY OR THE EXISTENCE OF SELF. ASK ME ABOUT CHEATING AT TARKOV BECAUSE, WELL, SEE ABOVE

this game's physics engine is amazing

1001 Arabian dicks
Sep 16, 2013

Gliders that can gain altitude indefinitely? very epic for the win.

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

We go play orbital catch around the curvature of the earth, son.
Summary of events:

1 - MAGA, a group of racist shitheads who have been pissing off people in the region, attacks a non-hostile chinese company (CSTG) who are actually allied to a lot of english-speaking groups in the area.

2 - CSTG retaliates and wipes out MAGA's home base.

3 - MAGA tries backstabbing one of our allies (merry men) to our south by abusing alliance to drop their defenses so they can steal their land and claim a new home base.

4 - MAGA proceeds to get shat on by us and our available allies as we destroy one of their brigs and send the rest fleeing.

5 - One of our allies makes a post about it on reddit, alerting people to not trust MAGA: https://np.reddit.com/r/playatlas/comments/abykp4/maga_backstabbing_allies_while_fighting_chinese/

6 - :allears:

Spacedad fucked around with this message at 06:21 on Jan 3, 2019

Raioner
Mar 28, 2006

1001 Arabian dicks posted:

Gliders that can gain altitude indefinitely? very epic for the win.

How? This sounds like a ton of fun

Woolwich Bagnet
Apr 27, 2003

I've been taking pictures, recording and playing this game makes it really hard to get 45+ fps

Everything in that screen shot looks like sprites to me and makes it look like that was taken in daggerfall or something. Really weird.

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
Please give me free quality professional advice so I can be a baby about it and insult you
I've been watching lots of streams of this the past week or so since the launch and correct me if I'm wrong but I feel like the biggest problem with this game is that it really discourages the biggest appeal of the game to me as a viewer, which is player boat engagements. Every time I tune into a streamer, what I want to see is different groups of players clash, knowing that they're both taking it seriously since it took so much time and effort to make their boats in the first place. Instead, they're always either stuck in a mass of hurricanes all around them, are sailing around with nothing anywhere to do, or are just sitting around by an island coast trying to herd cats so that they can get underway. And then every time there's the possibility of something cool maybe happening within the next 10 minutes, the server takes a poo poo and crashes.

The main appeal of this game for me, again at least as a viewer here (I haven't given the developers any money), is nowhere to be seen. It's like when Day-Z was popular because of the possibility of encountering other players but then it almost never actually happens unless you're doing the equivalent of intentionally running around Cherno with your starting Makarov pistol.

So as a stream viewer I'm pretty disappointed tbh and feel like I'm wasting my time watching. Maybe I'm just doing it wrong. Maybe they have Youtube VODs of the fun parts of the game somewhere.

Love Stole the Day fucked around with this message at 08:40 on Jan 3, 2019

Simon Numbers
Sep 28, 2013
Buying this game has been the best financial decision I've made in the past year, I've been too busy playing the game to go and get takeout or beer so I've just been getting my government funded cleaner to pick me up some food.

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

Ghetto SuperCzar posted:

Honestly I'd love to drop all these small pubbie allies and Ally with a single large entity like them. When we didn't smash in Tom's teeth yesterday after finding out they were allied with merry men was really sad.q

Yeah we definitely need to ally with burkeblack's crew.

After maga was repelled by them today, we're also working on allying with Streamerhouse.

RocketRaygun
Nov 7, 2015

GoGoGadget posted:

Apparently a few companies are turning on them after they betrayed some allies. There's a post about it on Reddit.

https://www.reddit.com/r/playatlas/comments/abykp4/maga_backstabbing_allies_while_fighting_chinese/?utm_source=reddit-android

Those were our allies, and the true allies he mentions in that thread were us.

We bailed them out of a real bad situation.

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

RocketRaygun posted:

Those were our allies, and the true allies he mentions in that thread were us.

We bailed them out of a real bad situation.

They almost became a liability too because they fell for maga's bait-and-switch ally-backstab to grab their turf. Someone really needs to give them a good schooling on not falling for poo poo like that.

1001 Arabian dicks
Sep 16, 2013

A SMALL ANIME HITSQUAD OF 3 MEN FIGHT OFF A MASSIVE ZERG AND DESTROY HALF THEIR FLEET

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

The average is 5.5? I thought it was 4. This is very unsettling.
Is the ghost ship route still actuate as far as we know? If so we should check out the Western island in J11, as it's right next door and the route goes right by the Western shore.

Seems like a natural expansion goal.

GoGoGadget
Apr 29, 2006

Skill Calculator

Nissir
Apr 23, 2007
Man with no Title
What resources are collected with a shovel? I like the idea of running around with maps digging up poo poo and killing undead but this skill doesn't make sense to me.

GoGoGadget
Apr 29, 2006

Nissir posted:

What resources are collected with a shovel? I like the idea of running around with maps digging up poo poo and killing undead but this skill doesn't make sense to me.

Salt, water, treasure. I'm sure there's more but that's all I know.

Also used to till soil.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

A SMALL ANIME HITSQUAD OF 3 MEN FIGHT OFF A MASSIVE ZERG AND DESTROY HALF THEIR FLEET

Compared to eve ships what did you destroy? Also what is a brig worth? Is it like a carrier or a Titan in terms of effort or expense to build?

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
I've talked mad poo poo but all of what you guys are writing looks fun. I'm still holding out for some updates but...

Nissir
Apr 23, 2007
Man with no Title
A brig took 4 people a day to build at normal resource rates. IIRC

Nissir
Apr 23, 2007
Man with no Title
Found a fun calculator that shows what you need to build ships. Not sure it is 100% accurate, as I am not a shipbuilder.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1H2OR4Y4MAhfKoN5r4IFII5bW0t7uAtEaqVOylmnfsFo/edit#gid=1416342101

Raioner
Mar 28, 2006

The Oovee has sunk a streamer ship and made them super salty.
https://www.twitch.tv/videos/358218787?t=05h20s

FileNotFound
Jul 17, 2005

Raioner posted:

This is amazing. She looks so angry and she's trying not to show it. It's really funny. They can totally outrun you......oh wait...

RocketRaygun
Nov 7, 2015

Spacedad posted:

They almost became a liability too because they fell for maga's bait-and-switch ally-backstab to grab their turf. Someone really needs to give them a good schooling on not falling for poo poo like that.

Oh, they learned their lesson

Tei
Feb 19, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!

Raioner posted:

Seems pretty fair. She did a lot of mistakes in the fight. Not saying I would do better.. I would probably kill myself with a page edge. But the kill was good and fair.

If you meet the world box champion, you don't challenge him to a box fight, you shot him dead with a handgun. You need to know the strenghs and weaknes of your type of ship, and this lady did not seems to know either.

Ghetto SuperCzar
Feb 20, 2005

Glenn Quebec posted:

I've talked mad poo poo but all of what you guys are writing looks fun. I'm still holding out for some updates but...

Game is bad but the interactions it causes is fun as gently caress.

Though you have to sit through hours of bad to get to hour of good.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Raioner posted:

lol just letting a ship approach you without taking a defensive position, the crew not communicating, people giving up and panicking as soon as the fight starts, that one dude a little bit in who just jumps off without telling anyone

I might get this game, Baba and Fox have been wearing me down. Put my 500+ hours of sailing ships in SoT to use lol

e: the more I watch the better it gets. Captain's just on the wheel yelling at her crew, not to direct her crew. The boat is half dead before someone gives the single guy on cannons a direction other than "they're behind us". She finally gets off the wheel and falls off the boat right before it dies. Captaining boats is all I wanna do in this game.

Babe Magnet fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Jan 3, 2019

1001 Arabian dicks
Sep 16, 2013

Holyshoot posted:

Compared to eve ships what did you destroy? Also what is a brig worth? Is it like a carrier or a Titan in terms of effort or expense to build?

in 2018 eve terms? like regular carriers but you gotta realize that it'd be like 2018 eve without the decades of resource buildup and ship buildup. there are probably only a thousand or so schooners in the entire game at the moment spread out and this ~75 man group had 6 and a brigantine. we sank half their tonnage with 3 people and a little bit of ingenuity.

thanks for forge, jaroslav, adadad and STOOP KID for setting up our raft and sets of gear that allowed us to smoke one of their enemies

1001 Arabian dicks fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Jan 3, 2019

Tei
Feb 19, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!

Babe Magnet posted:

lol just letting a ship approach you without taking a defensive position, the crew not communicating, people giving up and panicking as soon as the fight starts, that one dude a little bit in who just jumps off without telling anyone

I might get thisgame , Baba and Fox have been wearing me down. Put my 500+ hours of sailing ships in SoT to use lol

All these mistakes are beautiful, and it will be sad when people gets a bit more experienced and stop doing these errors.

Arsonide
Oct 18, 2007

You're breaking my balls here

Raioner posted:

I was on the front guns on this fight, it was great.

FileNotFound
Jul 17, 2005

Babe Magnet posted:

I might get thisgame , Baba and Fox have been wearing me down. Put my 500+ hours of sailing ships in SoT to use lol

They made the same mistake we did very early in the game.

Building ships in this game like in real life doesn't work.

In real life you can't just shove 4 cannons on the front of a ship and still have it be able to sail properly.

It's much easier to fire the deck guns than guns internal to the ship as well due to how much more the gunners can see.

Early on we lost a very similar fight where our ship with 4 guns, 2 on each side, got wrecked by an enemy ship with frontal guns - very much in the same way where we just couldn't get consistent shots in at it while it had no trouble pounding us. We did land way more shots than the streamer though and they left us alone after beating us up.

We almost got away - but learned another lesson - you should have materials to repair ships as we sank walking distance from our base.

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal

Raioner posted:

I love making streamers mad. Awesome video.

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

The average is 5.5? I thought it was 4. This is very unsettling.

Babe Magnet posted:

I might get this game, Baba and Fox have been wearing me down. Put my 500+ hours of sailing ships in SoT to use lol

e: the more I watch the better it gets. Captain's just on the wheel yelling at her crew, not to direct her crew. The boat is half dead before someone gives the single guy on cannons a direction other than "they're behind us". She finally gets off the wheel and falls off the boat right before it dies. Captaining boats is all I wanna do in this game.

Los I'll just buy you the game if you come helm for us.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

I appreciate that a lot but I'll look into getting it myself soon, before it rises in price again. I couldn't play right now if I had it, this weekend would be a better time.

Turkina_Prime
Oct 26, 2013

If you’re reading this thread and are thinking about getting the game, we have enough ships for you to crew or even captain your own. We can always use new bodies to help poo poo on streamers.

Givin
Jan 24, 2008
Givin of the Internet Hates You

Tei posted:

Seems pretty fair. She did a lot of mistakes in the fight. Not saying I would do better.. I would probably kill myself with a page edge. But the kill was good and fair.

If you meet the world box champion, you don't challenge him to a box fight, you shot him dead with a handgun. You need to know the strenghs and weaknes of your type of ship, and this lady did not seems to know either.

That's PMSProxy, she will be a free kill forever. It's a shame she's part of Burke's bunch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raioner
Mar 28, 2006

Yea that fight was a lot of fun. Earlier they pulled up to our allies HoA harbor and sunk a boat and took some mortar fire and hosed off only to have this happen to them.