Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

GreyjoyBastard posted:

Governor, obviously.

No, I got it! Comptroller!

He should have to be AOC's (paid) coffee intern imo, maybe he'll learn some humility then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Haha, look at this sonnomabish:

quote:

Why do you have the username "redpillpub"?

quote:

no particular reason. I don't read r/theredpill or whatever it's called

:lol:

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Majorian posted:

Mmmm yes, no one here ever encourages leftist candidates to get better. Brilliant, Fulchrum, you've cracked the code.

Yeah, none of you do. You whine that they should win everything by default, then act like the other person having more resources or connections is cheating and not something that that the candidate should have already thought of and found an answer to.

Finish this sentence for me: Cynthia Nixon lost because______. If your answer wasn't exclusively made up of things she needed to work on, or a better candidate than her needed to do after taking the spotlight off of her, you're just whining. And no, "She didn't call Cuomo scum hard and loud enough, that would have done it for sure" is the wrong answer.

tecnocrat
Oct 5, 2003
Struggling to keep his sanity.

Speaking of people who don't have a chance in hell.

https://twitter.com/JulianCastro/status/1080663541538086912

heyitsamanda
Jul 17, 2018

I mean, it's one banana Michael, what could it cost? 10 dollars?

nine-gear crow posted:

Schumer should be replaced by the computer from Person of Interest that predicts all the crimes. Or one of those cans that goes MOO when you flip it over.

Schumer should obviously be replaced by Big Mouth Billy Bass, in an effort to appeal to 2nd amendment moderates and ‘principled conservatives’ :agesilaus:

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

From the hard streets of Moscow
First dog to touch the stars

Plaster Town Cop

Fulchrum posted:

Yeah, none of you do. You whine that they should win everything by default, then act like the other person having more resources or connections is cheating and not something that that the candidate should have already thought of and found an answer to.

Finish this sentence for me: Cynthia Nixon lost because______. If your answer wasn't exclusively made up of things she needed to work on, or a better candidate than her needed to do after taking the spotlight off of her, you're just whining. And no, "She didn't call Cuomo scum hard and loud enough, that would have done it for sure" is the wrong answer.

"Capital, which inherently holds the vast majority of the resources, backs pro-capital candidates and it's your fault if you don't overcome that"

That's a great double-whammy of a tautology followed by an is/aught confusion.

Unoriginal Name
Aug 1, 2006

by sebmojo

silicone thrills posted:

I voted for Inslee - My big like for him is he is super anti death penalty and didn't move forward on any cases for multiple years until our courts finally abolished it.

But he's still a generic milquetoast white dude. I think he'd make a good VP. He hasn't done anything offensive and he knows how poo poo works.

While I think Inslee is boringly acceptable enough to be a decent VP, he doesnt gain you much in dat sweet electoral math

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Fulchrum posted:

Has anyone explained to you what "projection" is, Fulchrum? I know we throw that term at you a lot, but I'm not sure you understand it...

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

tecnocrat posted:

I think Texas needs to focus on turning blue before it fields a Dem presidential candidate.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

tecnocrat posted:

"My fellow Americans, I am......... NOT running for President. I just wanted to see if anyone would show up, and you did. Laters!'

Z. Autobahn
Jul 20, 2004

colonel tigh more like colonel high
Julian Castro is running for VP and has a half-decent chance.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Z. Autobahn posted:

Julian Castro is running for VP and has a half-decent chance.

What has he done that’s worth a drat? This isn’t so much a dismissal as a genuine question, the only thing I know him for is being a twin and self-owning in 2016 by being too political while being in the Obama admin (I think? Maybe that was the other one).

Unoriginal Name
Aug 1, 2006

by sebmojo

Lightning Knight posted:

What has he done that’s worth a drat? This isn’t so much a dismissal as a genuine question, the only thing I know him for is being a twin and self-owning in 2016 by being too political while being in the Obama admin (I think? Maybe that was the other one).

Mayor of San Antonio, Obama's HUD Secretary. That's about it, really.

He was a possible Hilary VP, but old white men are just so appealing...

Z. Autobahn
Jul 20, 2004

colonel tigh more like colonel high

Lightning Knight posted:

I'm looking at it from the perspective that a VP is really just a name on the ticket you think can balance out your electoral weaknesses. Castro is young and (reasonably) charismatic and a solid optics pick if you're old and white. If he can throw together a few decent public appearances in the next year, get some solid press, I could easily see Biden or Warren tapping him.

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

Advantages to Julian Castro Running

The body double is ready to go.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Harik posted:

"Capital, which inherently holds the vast majority of the resources, backs pro-capital candidates and it's your fault if you don't overcome that"

That's a great double-whammy of a tautology followed by an is/aught confusion.

Its "ought". You described an "Is/anything confusion".

You seem to think that just saying that it shouldn't be true, will be enough to make it magically go away. If you aren't willing to deal with reality and keep trying to just will it away, then you're not encouraging a candidate to do better, you're encouraging them to play make believe with you.

And yes, it is your fault if you can't overcome that. If you see a candidate with no connections, no resources, and no plan, and your idea is to just yell at the system to reorganise itself around what you think is fair, you're an idiot. If you are not telling that candidate to do what they can to get what they need to win, then you are actively refusing to encourage them to get better and more capable of winning.

Majorian posted:

Has anyone explained to you what "projection" is, Fulchrum? I know we throw that term at you a lot, but I'm not sure you understand it...

Its that thing you do where you keep just accusing me of all your faults.

Now, are you actually going to give me the list of reasons why Cynthia Nixon lost? Or can you not bring yourself to criticize her performance?

Fulchrum fucked around with this message at 07:31 on Jan 3, 2019

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

Fulchrum posted:

You're showing your ignorance because New york politics is such a cesspool of ambitious, corrupt scumsuckers that calling your opponent scum as much as possible is the bread and butter of campaigning against ny political establishment types

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

nine-gear crow posted:

I dunno, the one from the Daily Caller guy is hella gross:

https://twitter.com/RAMRANTS/status/1074313981467156480

This is one of Tucker Carlson's junior grade TPUSA diaperbag men.

Can anyone tell me where the gently caress these complete racist lunatics even get this idea? Did they just make this up from whole cloth because "hurt durr foreign Islam woman am I rite?"

Why should anyone have to even try to "debunk" such a loving disgusting and no basis in reality claim?

When can Fox News and the rest of the RWM be sued for outright slander, because good lord accusing someone of incest with their brother because they politically oppose you is just loving sick.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Fulchrum posted:

Its that thing you do where you keep just accusing me of all your faults.

Ah yes, I only criticize you for being a right-winger because I'm secretly a right-winger myself.:rolleye:

quote:

Now, are you actually going to give me the list of reasons why Cynthia Nixon lost? Or can you not bring yourself to criticize her performance?

I was critical of her performance at the time, although I vastly preferred her to Cuomo. Feel free to check my post history if you like. The reasons why she lost were manifold, but they were largely a combination of structural barriers that were put in place by the establishment, and some unforced missteps on her part (including, I'd argue, ineffectively honing her message on the New York subways issue).

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

TulliusCicero posted:

Can anyone tell me where the gently caress these complete racist lunatics even get this idea? Did they just make this up from whole cloth because "hurt durr foreign Islam woman am I rite?"

Why should anyone have to even try to "debunk" such a loving disgusting and no basis in reality claim?

When can Fox News and the rest of the RWM be sued for outright slander, because good lord accusing someone of incest with their brother because they politically oppose you is just loving sick.

True believers believe anything, but also nothing because they'll adopt and discard surface-level positions if they're perceived as useful against the libs. The others just don't care and ignoring or responding to their insincerity is seen as a victory by them.

Argas fucked around with this message at 07:51 on Jan 3, 2019

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
They will vote for a child molester and carry water for a rapist judge. They will say anything vile they want and the system will let them do this until enough people actually do something about it to make anyone at twitter care.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Re: Inslee, I have had my state rep (WA resident) complain to me unprompted that he can't get anything done because he doesn't know how to interact with the legislature

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

TulliusCicero posted:

Technically, she can't refute "the claim that she was accused of marrying her brother." Because some crazy person did, in fact, accuse her of that. So it's technically true - in the dumbest way possible. The RWM loves to "trap"people like that. Then they act so clever because they thought of such a genius snare. :rolleye:

Petr
Oct 3, 2000

Arrgytehpirate posted:

Only 11k for infantry? That’s weak. I got 30 in 2007.

Don't brag about this, rear end in a top hat.

Petr
Oct 3, 2000
It's hard not to feel a little bad for medchud because he genuinely has no idea. That's not in any way a defense or justification of his bullshit, I just wish he hadn't been indoctrinated to where he is now. He's absolutely hosed, and that's a better outcome than him loving other people, which would have happened if his career hadn't been derailed. But I wish nobody could have been hosed.

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.

KickerOfMice posted:

Yes, I'm that old. I think Star Trek TNG ruled.

Side note: TNG has aged super well. I started watching it from season one a few months ago and am halfway through season seven now. I was worried that it would be super cringy but aside from a few episodes it’s aged really well.

Side side note: Riker is pretty much the best example of secure (see: non-toxic) traditional masculinity I can think of off the top of my head in popular culture. I was worried he’d be a sex pest and noooope, guy is all about consent and being a good dude.

Man, I love TNG.

cargo cult
Aug 28, 2008

by Reene

Lightning Knight posted:

I don't think Greenwald can just leave so easily, he runs a charity in Brazil that a bunch of homeless people depend on and his husband is a politician there iirc. People itt like to poo poo on Greenwald but the dude does poo poo in Brazil and probably can't just walk away even if he was willing to.
lmao if you think any of that precludes him from just walking away. hes an ideological libertarian, he doesn't believe in altruism.

Petr
Oct 3, 2000

tehinternet posted:

Side note: TNG has aged super well. I started watching it from season one a few months ago and am halfway through season seven now. I was worried that it would be super cringy but aside from a few episodes it’s aged really well.

Side side note: Riker is pretty much the best example of secure (see: non-toxic) traditional masculinity I can think of off the top of my head in popular culture. I was worried he’d be a sex pest and noooope, guy is all about consent and being a good dude.

Man, I love TNG.

Right?? Oh my God. Don't get me wrong, there are really bad episodes of TNG (mostly in season 1), but those episodes are bad for basic filmmaking reasons, not because there is bullshit at the heart of them. Encounter at Farpoint is bad because it's paced badly, not because the writers think black people are lazy, or something like that.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

tehinternet posted:

Man, I love TNG.

This is mostly right, but to anyone inspired by this post to watch it, skip season one. I guess it hasn't technically aged poorly because it just always sucked. Seasons 3-6 rule though and 2 and 7 mostly rule.

Petr posted:

Right?? Oh my God. Don't get me wrong, there are really bad episodes of TNG (mostly in season 1), but those episodes are bad for basic filmmaking reasons, not because there is bullshit at the heart of them. Encounter at Farpoint is bad because it's paced badly, not because the writers think black people are lazy, or something like that.

Counterpoint: Code Of Honor. Season one gets really bad

Old James
Nov 20, 2003

Wait a sec. I don't know an Old James!

cheetah7071 posted:

This is mostly right, but to anyone inspired by this post to watch it, skip season one. I guess it hasn't technically aged poorly because it just always sucked. Seasons 3-6 rule though and 2 and 7 mostly rule.

Yeah, season 1 has lots of bad story lines surrounding Tasha Yar as well as the worst costumes.

Later seasons still have bad story lines around Diana Troi and Dr Crusher, but at least everyone’s stylish.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

cheetah7071 posted:

A lot of people nowadays are saying that "The Naked Now" is actually a good episode. They are wrong, and are fools; it is a very bad episode.

cargo cult posted:

lmao if you think any of that precludes him from just walking away. hes an ideological libertarian, he doesn't believe in altruism.

That's a really unfair way to characterize him; the dude doesn't seem to embrace economic libertarianism.

Petr
Oct 3, 2000

cheetah7071 posted:

ok let's just ignore season 1?

Edit: Or just ignore Code of Honor. It's so bad that I submit it can be ignored as an anomaly. It even ties into my original point a bit; it's bad in a "black people are noble savages" way, but it's also even bad in a basic film-making way. It's full of cheap sets, single-color cycloramas, and weird editing. Code of Honor almost feels like a second-rate TOS director was given a swing. I don't know if that's the case, but it's definitely the vibe.

Petr fucked around with this message at 09:33 on Jan 3, 2019

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

The thing about Washington politics too is that this is a deeply weird state. You drive 30 minutes in any direction away from Seattle and you're deep in gun-toting, get-your-government-off-my-property libertarian werido country.

Like we're a progressive state... with very little gun control and no state income tax. I pay the same sort of lovely, regressive tax as a Microsoft exec because we both buy the same brand of bread. Oh our sales tax is like 10+% and applies on loving everything too.

Don't believe people when they tell you Washington is liberal, it's like somebody put a liberal curtain on a conservative house.

Inslee is pretty 'good' when you take that into account.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Mendrian posted:

The thing about Washington politics too is that this is a deeply weird state. You drive 30 minutes in any direction away from Seattle and you're deep in gun-toting, get-your-government-off-my-property libertarian werido country.
that's most places

Petr
Oct 3, 2000

Majorian posted:

A lot of people nowadays are saying that "The Naked Now" is actually a good episode. They are wrong, and are fools; it is a very bad episode.

OK, so, you have to ignore Code of Honor and The Naked Now.

gently caress. Wait.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I wonder if on conservative websites people complain that their R+20 states are just a conservative veneer on a liberal government. I feel like I've heard people say some variant of that post about basically every blue state.

Petr
Oct 3, 2000

cheetah7071 posted:

I wonder if on conservative websites people complain that their R+20 states are just a conservative veneer on a liberal government. I feel like I've heard people say some variant of that post about basically every blue state.

I mean, it's a fun thought exercise, but in reality America has an extremely conservative government glossed over by tiny leftist enclaves, so I don't know what you're trying to get at.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Petr posted:

I mean, it's a fun thought exercise, but in reality America has an extremely conservative government glossed over by tiny leftist enclaves, so I don't know what you're trying to get at.

I mean I don't really get the mindset of the deep-right crazies but I assume that unless you're a fan of the status quo you're always going to have the same basic complaint that the status quo is still there, statusing. No deep point to it besides that I see that basic idea all the time and suspect it's common enough that it could probably go unsaid instead of being mentioned as if it's a unique property of the state in question

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.

Petr posted:

ok let's just ignore season 1?

Edit: Or just ignore Code of Honor. It's so bad that I submit it can be ignored as an anomaly. It even ties into my original point a bit; it's bad in a "black people are noble savages" way, but it's also even bad in a basic film-making way. It's full of cheap sets, single-color cycloramas, and weird editing. Code of Honor almost feels like a second-rate TOS director was given a swing. I don't know if that's the case, but it's definitely the vibe.

I mean, don’t get me wrong, season one is the worst season by far; some of the episodes are just real bad as far as storytelling goes. Season two and on are generally real goddamn good.

But if you skip season one, you miss out on skirty goodness: https://www.reddit.com/r/startrek/comments/4a9r5i/why_men_wore_miniskirts_on_star_trek_the_next/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Petr
Oct 3, 2000

tehinternet posted:

I mean, don’t get me wrong, season one is the worst season by far; some of the episodes are just real bad as far as storytelling goes. Season two and on are generally real goddamn good.

But if you skip season one, you miss out on skirty goodness: https://www.reddit.com/r/startrek/comments/4a9r5i/why_men_wore_miniskirts_on_star_trek_the_next/

Isn't it just one episode though? It's Encounter at Farpoint, and then the studio said gently caress NO

Edit: according to the article, there were background characters in five episodes wearing them. But I can be forgiven for not noticing them, because it was never a foreground character.

Petr fucked around with this message at 09:54 on Jan 3, 2019