Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
Jeremy Bearimy is a v. good episode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

Jerusalem posted:

That's weird, I understand every individual word of this sentence and yet put together in that order they make no sense at all :confused:

I have a friend who hasn't watched past the pilot for similar reasons. Her main exposure to Bell was Party Down and Deadwood, so she would've preferred more of an Always Sunny type of situation, where a bad person constantly fails and learns nothing, over one where we're supposed to root for Eleanor to learn and grow.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan
my hook was "it's written by Megan Amram!" because she's awesome :shobon:

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Everyone I told the season 1 spoiler to jumped into the show and loved it no problem. Everyone I tried to get into the show spoiler-free told me "I watched the first couple episodes and just aren't feeling it" and I'd have to go full spoiler to get them back in. I also only kept watching the show because I knew about the whole bad place situation.

It seems to be a good thing to let out of the bag for people who haven't given it a try yet, it's not like there aren't a million other great twists in store for them.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Yeah, halfway through the second episode you start to get a sense of 'is this what it's gonna be like every week? Because it feels very episodic'. Luckily the game spins enough cliffhangers for you by the third or fourth episode to start expanding the plot a little, but it is a bit of a slow burn at first.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
Welp. Got to the Desmond episode.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Sub Rosa posted:

512 years ago from our present isn't 512 years ago from the present of the show because they have been tortured for some centuries by now, even before we get into Jeremy Bearamy time and how that could effect how we interpret what is meant by no one has gotten into the good place in that long.

Also, I ask because Michael actually says at one point that none of the Presidents except Lincoln got in. Now, he is a demon and could have been lying, but we did also see that ending slavery is like +8 billion, which offsets the -6 billion of committing genocide on American Indians.

He ended slavery because of political expedience, it's not going to count. Especially when you consider that all points are related to the first time they happened so it's happened a bunch of times and meant much less.

And yea I think that time in the afterlife being Jeremy Bearimy but time in the real world progressing at normal speed makes no sense but nobody wants to talk about that I guess. I can't justify in my head the idea that time in the afterlife has no rules but we can still also say "it's 2018 and nobody who died after that is in the afterlife even though there's no time in the afterlife"

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
The rule is that time works in whichever interpretation of it has the most narrative impact.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
*in an extremely Doug forcett voice* what if OUR human timeline is the one that makes no linear sense to THEM

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Toast Museum posted:

Wait, what's this referring to? I guess stick it in a spoiler tag to be safe.

Both shows did a tribute to Lost, and it tickles me that they were so close together.

Lost S2 Intro:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g_5ZQW0BCFU

Westworld 2x04 Opening:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5en7XIUv6D0

Can't find a clip of the Good Place one, sadly.

Mordiceius posted:

Welp. Got to the Desmond episode.

:woop:

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

As someone who loves to nitpick this stuff I sort of get the annoyance at never having any attempt at a real explanation to consolidate both types of time and just sweeping it away with a cute joke, but seeing as we barely understand how time works now the cute joke seems more effort imo. Like imagine the writers room sitting around getting more annoyed and picking each other’s attempts apart and suddenly someone just screams ‘JERIMY BEARIMY’

Jezza of OZPOS fucked around with this message at 15:18 on Jan 3, 2019

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

Put this Nazi-lover on ignore immediately!
I think they mentioned on the podcast that Jeremy Bearimy came from basically exactly what you were describing, while Mike Schur was trying to explain how time works in the show to the writer's room.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

Whenever I hear behind the scenes stuff about writers rooms on a good show I get a huge pang of admiration for the fact that they are essentially having these huge arguments over dumb poo poo so me and my friends don’t have to

I also really respect the idea that when you can’t make something logically consistent you throw a dumb joke on it and move on like a particularly hard answer on a test

Jezza of OZPOS fucked around with this message at 15:28 on Jan 3, 2019

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

They could have solved it super easily though by saying "the last time someone entered the good place was in 1492".
Doesn't really matter if time is linear or not then, as long as that's the cutoff.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

It’s not just about that though, they dug this hole long before that when they reset the fake good place timelines over and over again. Sometimes the story is more important. They established in season 2 that human time and afterlife time work differently and this entire season 3 has been dependent on that premise at its core

Jezza of OZPOS fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Jan 3, 2019

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

It’s reasonable imo to say you don’t like the season for that particular reason but trying to get some dorks on a forum to explain how the concept might actually work irl is insane bc it doesn’t, it’s a narrative conceit created to allow interesting hypothetical questions about the nature of human behaviour

Jezza of OZPOS fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Jan 3, 2019

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

Essentially the whole thing comes down to the fact that what we understand of psychology is a pseudoscience in the strictest term. That is, human behaviour cannot be replicated and repeated in a way that fulfils the empirical criteria for the scientific method. As a result it is useful to imagine realities where human behaviour COULD be replicated and repeated. This is the entire key principle of having the timelines all hosed. By doing so we allow the idea that human behaviour can be empirically studied to be added to the plot of the show and that’s more important than that the advanced laws of physics (that we barely understand irl) work perfectly in the universe

Jezza of OZPOS fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Jan 3, 2019

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Malcolm Turnbeug posted:

It’s not just about that though, they dug this hole long before that when they reset the fake good place timelines over and over again. Sometimes the story is more important. They established in season 2 that human time and afterlife time work differently and this entire season 3 has been dependent on that premise at its core

They did and that's fine but THEN they said "nobody has entered the good place for 512 years" so that implies it's 2018 in the afterlife as well.
That's it, that's all that's weird.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

It doesn’t imply anything of the sort, they’re using human points of reference in conversation with humans. We’ve still not addressed what effects living on angel time has had on humans but from everything the show has told us, they still fundamentally perceive time the same way they did on earth while ethereal beings perceive their own hosed up timeline in a way that is obfuscated to us for two reasons:

1) it doesn’t make sense
2) it’s not important to the story, which is about humans experiencing time in a way more or less similar to our own

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!
Or it means 512 subjective years from the point of view of the accounting office. No one said anything about the earth year 1506 being the last year someone went to the Good Place.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

wizzardstaff posted:

Or it means 512 subjective years from the point of view of the accounting office. No one said anything about the earth year 1506 being the last year someone went to the Good Place.

I don’t buy this for a second but it would be a nice gotcha for nerds like us that argue about this poo poo online

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I like probably 99% of the viewing audience didn’t really give it a second thought beyond “huh guess the bad place really is loving with things!”.

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

holy poo poo this again jesus loving

It's been a bunch of time units that are familiar to the audience not to people who live in a system where tuesdays and july exist in a closed loop outside of a squiggly loving signature because you're not watching a show based on David Gerrold's The Man Who Folded Himself

e: Someone on Reddit pointed out that Antonio Manetti, an architect who drew illustrations of the circles in hell for Dante's Inferno (which were later put into future publications of the Divine Comedy) died 521 years ago, and he was born on a Tuesday in July. It's a weird coincidence but it might mean something so argue about that instead of if we know what years means

Wungus fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Jan 3, 2019

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Whalley posted:

holy poo poo this again jesus loving

It's been a bunch of time units that are familiar to the audience not to people who live in a system where tuesdays and july exist in a closed loop outside of a squiggly loving signature because you're not watching a show based on David Gerrold's The Man Who Folded Himself

e: Someone on Reddit pointed out that Antonio Manetti, an architect who drew illustrations of the circles in hell for Dante's Inferno (which were later put into future publications of the Divine Comedy) died 521 years ago, and he was born on a Tuesday in July. It's a weird coincidence but it might mean something so argue about that instead of if we know what years means

The best translation of the inferno I ever read maintained the triple verse rhyme thing and it was so amazing, yeah let's talk about dante. :3:

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

silvergoose posted:

The best translation of the inferno I ever read maintained the triple verse rhyme thing and it was so amazing, yeah let's talk about dante. :3:
Is that the John Ciardi translation? I've been wanting to find one that's more explicitly poetic and not just turning it into prose

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

https://twitter.com/nbcthegoodplace/status/1080827369647046656

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Whalley posted:

Is that the John Ciardi translation? I've been wanting to find one that's more explicitly poetic and not just turning it into prose

I...think so? I read it in high school. :v:

One of the available assignments for essays was "write a circle of hell" and I wrote it in the same style and it was super duper fun.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

wizzardstaff posted:

They actually did, apparently (as mentioned here) something specific happened at or around that time which has made the difference and that was said in the podcast by the creator.
The idea previously was that the world "got bigger" then so suddenly the amount of points you needed to get into the good place became impossible.

But nobody knows for sure.

So like is it subjective or is it real? Because with that information it's pretty hard to say.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

silvergoose posted:

I...think so? I read it in high school. :v:

One of the available assignments for essays was "write a circle of hell" and I wrote it in the same style and it was super duper fun.

I had this same assignment in high school, and was one of the few writing assignments I had that I actually enjoyed writing as well, so much so that I asked if I could do my buddy's assignment for him as well just so I had an excuse to write another. I forget what sin I did for him, but mine was cannibalism, shoved into Gluttony, where souls were forced to painfully eat their own, putrid flesh, consuming themselves fully before being regrown, always hungering, but never satisfied. I've tried for years to find the file stored on old family computers, but to no avail.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Klungar posted:

I had this same assignment in high school, and was one of the few writing assignments I had that I actually enjoyed writing as well, so much so that I asked if I could do my buddy's assignment for him as well just so I had an excuse to write another. I forget what sin I did for him, but mine was cannibalism, shoved into Gluttony, where souls were forced to painfully eat their own, putrid flesh, consuming themselves fully before being regrown, always hungering, but never satisfied. I've tried for years to find the file stored on old family computers, but to no avail.

gently caress, I also tried to find my essay and couldn't. I remember having a horrible time rhyming something with purple, for some reason? You didn't go to high school in MA, did you? :v:

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

silvergoose posted:

gently caress, I also tried to find my essay and couldn't. I remember having a horrible time rhyming something with purple, for some reason? You didn't go to high school in MA, did you? :v:

Nah, Florida, but I'm glad to hear that this is a common assignment, since it had a big impact on my approach to reading/writing/humanities classes for the rest of high school into college.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Klungar posted:

Nah, Florida, but I'm glad to hear that this is a common assignment, since it had a big impact on my approach to reading/writing/humanities classes for the rest of high school into college.

I went into programming so it didn't, but the assignment sure stuck with me anyway! Now I want to write childrens books with that rhyming scheme.

Uhhh sorry about the derail, folks. Something something philosophy of children's books

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

I have a philosophy degree, and this is one of the best summations of Kant's ethics I have ever heard.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

silvergoose posted:

I went into programming so it didn't, but the assignment sure stuck with me anyway!

Hey, so did I, so maybe there is something to it after all!

greententacle
Apr 28, 2007

Mr Bubbles
Did anyone else find that they kinda figured out the season 1 twist at the same time Elanor did? One of my sisters figured out early that "Tahani shouldn't be in the Good Place either" so I wondered if she would figure it out, but she didn't & came as a surprise (I also think she wasn't expecting a big twist, so that might have helped).

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

greententacle posted:

Did anyone else find that they kinda figured out the season 1 twist at the same time Elanor did? One of my sisters figured out early that "Tahani shouldn't be in the Good Place either" so I wondered if she would figure it out, but she didn't & came as a surprise (I also think she wasn't expecting a big twist, so that might have helped).

I pretty much guessed it just in time to say,"Hang on is THIS the B-" and then Eleanor said it before I could finish :sweatdrop:

greententacle
Apr 28, 2007

Mr Bubbles

swickles posted:

I have a philosophy degree, and this is one of the best summations of Kant's ethics I have ever heard.

It sounds kinda like a restatement of the golden rule, but avoids some of the problems that arise from that. Like, for instance, say I'm a masochist, does that mean I should go around kicking people in the balls, because I like getting kicked in the balls? Instead, we think, "well, what would the world look like if everyone kicked each other in the balls?" Well, the human race might go extinct from no new babies being born due to testicular injuries. So if I think it's good for the human race to continue, I won't do that then.

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!

greententacle posted:

I "figured out" what was probably an intentional red herring. Based on Michael's bumbling throughout the season I concluded that he had royally screwed up and the entire neighborhood was secretly populated with people who weren't supposed to be there.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

I feel like all the writers of this show played The Nonary Games and we are moments away from going full loving bonkers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!

Mordiceius posted:

I feel like all the writers of this show played The Nonary Games and we are moments away from going full loving bonkers.

THIS is the moon base!