Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Chilichimp posted:

And Klingons are a noble savage trope played mostly by white people in blackface.

gently caress I’ve never thought of it this way now I’m reconsidering all my positive memories of TNG. :negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Deptfordx posted:

It basically turns into an actiony Star Trek as it goes on, especially in the Atlantis spin-off. It's undemanding fun.

And then it pivots into Battlestar Galactica territory with Stargate: Universe and then SyFy went and cancelled it just as it was actually becoming a good show because they were in the process of wholesale killing all the science fiction television shows on their science fiction channel to make room for wrestling and ghost hunter shows and shows with quirky vaguely-sci-fi premisses that didn’t last even singular seasons because they permanently alienated their core audience demographic. Whoops.

But yes, Atlantis is cool and good and fun and is the reason the world now gets to enjoy Jason Momoa as badass Samoan Aquaman. And for that, we thank it.

Ate My Balls Redux
Aug 2, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Lightning Knight posted:

gently caress I’ve never thought of it this way now I’m reconsidering all my positive memories of TNG. :negative:

Ehhhh it's a bit more complicated than that, but since this isnt the Trek thread, I dont feel like eating 6ers 2 days in a row for off topic

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Lightning Knight posted:

Wasn't the blackface thing a mostly TOS bit?

It's great to see this and I hope this trend expands further via the continued shrinking of the right.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Ate My Balls Redux posted:

Ehhhh it's a bit more complicated than that, but since this isnt the Trek thread, I dont feel like eating 6ers 2 days in a row for off topic

True, I see we’re already doing the sci-fi derail.

Lol Ezra Klein is such poo poo.

https://twitter.com/adamjohnsonnyc/status/1080631166137438208?s=21

VH4Ever
Oct 1, 2005

by sebmojo

Chilichimp posted:

And Klingons are a noble savage trope played mostly by white people in blackface.

Is Nathon Fillion an awful person? Please don't tell me that.

Original series or next generation? I feel like most Klingons I saw in TNG were POC. Worf was played by a black man.

EDIT

One more: not sure how "noble savage" they are. They were played mostly as an allegory for Russians a lot of the time and Star Trek VI is an outright copy of Chernobyl and Glasnost and the end of the Cold War.

VH4Ever fucked around with this message at 15:36 on Jan 3, 2019

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Taerkar posted:

Wasn't the blackface thing a mostly TOS bit?

It rolled over into TNG and DS9 too. The actors who played Gowron and Martok, basically the two most-present non-Worf Klingons were both surprisingly white as poo poo out of makeup. Both are cool people and great actors, but yeah that was technically blackface with an asterisk the size of Neptune on it.

In slightly on-topic minutia though, JG Hertzler, the actor who played Martok ran for congress last year as a Democract looking to unseat a really lovely Republican incumbent, but unfortunately lost his bid. Alas, Representative Chancellor Martok proved a dream too far...

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Lightning Knight posted:

I've actually given this some serious thought recently and I don't think it's particularly bad, though I'm not really the person to decide whether it is, and I could be wrong. To call them "noble savages" is a stretch, they're really more of a warrior race, which absolutely could still turn out pretty bad, but they really aren't coded African at all. They're much more an amalgam of various warrior tropes drawing from Mongolian (especially in the original series), samurai, and Viking stuff, with a little bit of Russian flavor mixed in for whatever reason (probably just to make the war allegories that were relevant at the time). And they're usually depicted as having a pretty complicated political culture, with only certain True Believers really going for the "rarrrrr my honor" thing. Also the one with the most screentime by far actually is played by a POC, so that helps too.

Sir Lemming fucked around with this message at 15:38 on Jan 3, 2019

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

I think Viking Samurai is a pretty fair summary.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

VH4Ever posted:

Original series or next generation? I feel like most Klingons I saw in TNG were POC. Worf was played by a black man.

Michael Dorn must be made of money after doing as much Trek as he has, and he's always seemed like a cool guy. He had some of the most savage Twitter burns back during all the gamergate nonsense. I really hope we don't learn anything terrible about him, like he reads Ayn Rand for fun, or he's a sexmonster, or he's considering a run for Congress.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

nine-gear crow posted:

In slightly on-topic minutia though, JG Hertzler, the actor who played Martok ran for congress last year as a Democract looking to unseat a really lovely Republican incumbent, but unfortunately lost his bid. Alas, Representative Chancellor Martok proved a dream too far...
His mistake was not challenging his opponent to a fight to the death

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Bicyclops posted:

Michael Dorn must be made of money after doing as much Trek as he has, and he's always seemed like a cool guy. He had some of the most savage Twitter burns back during all the gamergate nonsense. I really hope we don't learn anything terrible about him, like he reads Ayn Rand for fun, or he's a sexmonster, or he's considering a run for Congress.

Michael Dorn just really really really really loving wants to play Worf again in any capacity, and that’s about the only thing I know about him outside of Trek. Dude has been lobbying for years to get a post-DS9 Worf-centric show on the air and has been stymied at every turn because Les Moonves absolutely reviled; in descending order: Star Trek, women, and black people; before he was ousted for being TV’s Harvey Weinstien.

tecnocrat
Oct 5, 2003
Struggling to keep his sanity.

Ate My Balls Redux posted:

I can't wait for the swearing in today, maybe some actual politics will start happening.

Tupperwarez
Apr 4, 2004

"phphphphphphpht"? this is what you're going with?

you sure?

lemonadesweetheart posted:

Stargate? Really?
Indeed.

The main 'off' things I remember from SG-1 was the extremely shaky first season, and learning that Parker Lewis became a Scientologist.

Tupperwarez fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Jan 3, 2019

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Now if you REALLY wanna see some uncomfortable makeup / cultural appropriation in Trek...

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Sir Lemming posted:

Now if you REALLY wanna see some uncomfortable makeup / cultural appropriation in Trek...

I dunno about the first pic, but it looks like Kirk’s about to learn how to do Fus-Ro-Dah in the second one :v:

E: Oh, and Bill Shatner? Also hella racist and has been since the 80s.

VH4Ever
Oct 1, 2005

by sebmojo

Bicyclops posted:

Yeah agreed. Michael Dorn is cool and good and I'm glad he was added to the DS9 cast because he got to actually act and be a lot more interesting as a character on that show, way more than he did with 7 years of TNG.

What I like about him is by all accounts he's super cool to fans and has the right amount of a sense of humor to be a guy like he is, famous for life for one role he played 20 years ago.

His cameo in Ted 2 with Patrick Warburton was loving hilarious too.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

FlamingLiberal posted:

His mistake was not challenging his opponent to a fight to the death

:hmmyes:

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

Shatner did play the Dad in poo poo my Dad Says, which at the time was seen as s cultural low for being a tv show based on a twitter account.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Sir Lemming posted:

I've actually given this some serious thought recently and I don't think it's particularly bad, though I'm not really the person to decide whether it is, and I could be wrong. To call them "noble savages" is a stretch, they're really more of a warrior race, which absolutely could still turn out pretty bad, but they really aren't coded African at all. They're much more an amalgam of various warrior tropes drawing from Mongolian (especially in the original series), samurai, and Viking stuff, with a little bit of Russian flavor mixed in for whatever reason. Also the one with the most screentime by far actually is played by a POC, so that helps too.

I actually feel like they didn't go TOO far into the warrior race stuff until DS9. Like they're a warrior race in TNG but in the TOS movies and TNG they still, like, used guns and had political machinations and stuff. DS9 is amazing and has awesome Klingon episodes but it also leaned a lot further into that all honor all the time duels only kind of mindset for them. When you watch TNG, Worf comes off almost like the equivalent of I don't know, like a paladin or particularly zealous samurai even among other Klingons. But in DS9 they got folks fighting over the sword of Kahless to unite everyone/rule the galaxy and Tony Todd's weird maudlin last episode that to me went way more into into one note warrior race territory despite how it ended and to become emperor you call out and duel the current emperor and and oh hey you killed someone time to literally go to the throne room of the Klingon empire and duel for your innocence and stuff like that. In comparison remember in TNG how byzantine the rites of succession were and how Worf has to justify his killing that guy who murdered his girlfriend as a personal act of vengeance he was technically entitled to under their laws but his fellow Klingons took it as an example of convenient political maneuvering.

Old James
Nov 20, 2003

Wait a sec. I don't know an Old James!

nine-gear crow posted:

I dunno about the first pic, but it looks like Kirk’s about to learn how to do Fus-Ro-Dah in the second one :v:

E: Oh, and Bill Shatner? Also hella racist and has been since the 80s.

He's about to do some snoo snoo in the first one.

EDIT: Trump is brain damaged and the Republican party commits treason on a daily basis.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen
https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1080837263913832449

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

drat, now I picture him staring down Republican reps with that Martok "I'm listening but I could gut you like a fish" stare.

To vaguely keep it on politics and culture chat, I quite like Worf's character arc. He starts out as this almost 2D stereotype of Klingon culture and as they peel back the layers it becomes clear that Worf is actually really conservative by Klingon standards and he clings to Klingon culture as a reaction to growing up raised by humans. It does a great job of humanizing (:haw:) a more chudly individual.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

...and what are the achievements of this alleged “Trump”, if that’s what he’s even called.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

You shut down the government. You claimed responsibility--multiple times!--on video. You are refusing to reopen it unless you get your giant monument to racism. You told Chuck Schumer to his face that to do otherwise would make you "look foolish".

You own this shutdown, Donny. Sorry.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

"You don't join the army to get rich"

~said of greatest tool of upward mobility in America.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen
https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1080839254656405504

Trade wars are cool and easy to win.

Retro42
Jun 27, 2011

He’s digging in hard. I mean, I know he’s a giant loving coward and all but he’s making all his typical bluster that signals he’s going to ignore or veto the pending House clean CR.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
https://twitter.com/atrupar/status/1080810608596000768

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Retro42 posted:

He’s digging in hard. I mean, I know he’s a giant loving coward and all but he’s making all his typical bluster that signals he’s going to ignore or veto the pending House clean CR.

Didn't McConnell said he isn't going to bring it up for a vote?

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Lightning Knight posted:

True, I see we’re already doing the sci-fi derail.

Lol Ezra Klein is such poo poo.

https://twitter.com/adamjohnsonnyc/status/1080631166137438208?s=21

I wish Adam H Johnson hadn't blocked me for calling him out when he defended Maduro and the slow collapse of Venezuela. He was a pro follow :smith:

KickerOfMice
Jun 7, 2017

[/color]Keep firing, assholes![/color]

Spaceballs the custom title.
Fun Shoe

I love the phrase "presidential harassment," as if no other president has ever faced any sort of criticism. Not only are you an incompetent, selfish, lying rear end in a top hat, you are the most public figure on the entire planet.

Fritz Coldcockin posted:

You shut down the government. You claimed responsibility--multiple times!--on video. You are refusing to reopen it unless you get your giant monument to racism. You told Chuck Schumer to his face that to do otherwise would make you "look foolish".

You own this shutdown, Donny. Sorry.

There's video of him saying "if you don't give me my wall, I'm goona shut the government down!" in the oval office. That reality-tv argument with Pelosi and Schumer.
E- Duh, I'm just repeating what you wrote. I need more tea. :doh:

KickerOfMice fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Jan 3, 2019

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Excellent framing with the lamps behind them looking like dunce caps.

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

DOW is off 450...again

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

that's a shelbyville idea

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

mcmagic posted:

Didn't McConnell said he isn't going to bring it up for a vote?

Yeah, and in spite of what a soulless demon he is, I feel like his apparent solidarity with Trump is actually him giving Trump more rope with which to yang himself.

No one is blaming the GOP for the shutdown because Trump keeps blowing up deals and claiming credit for it, so it looks like Turtle is prepping to set up Trump to both take the blame for an extended shutdown OR folding on wall funding, so his chud base can’t point to a veto override as treason against their master.

a fatguy baldspot
Aug 29, 2018

KickerOfMice posted:

I love the phrase "presidential harassment," as if no other president has ever faced any sort of criticism. Not only are you an incompetent, selfish, lying rear end in a top hat, you are the most public figure on the entire planet.

There's video of him saying "if you don't give me my wall, I'm goona shut the government down!" in the oval office. That reality-tv argument with Pelosi and Schumer.
E- Duh, I'm just repeating what you wrote. I need more tea. :doh:

Sir! Sir, if you’ll permit me, sir, how dare you, sir!

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009
Apple is saying they're going to miss their sales forecasts, specifically citing tension with China as one of the reasons, and Big Wet Boy is taking a victory lap on twitter. reality owns

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

Comedy option would be McConnell not holding a vote and Trump attacking him for it because he can’t control himself ever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen
Like I said: trade wars are good and easy to win.

https://twitter.com/AP/status/1080845553829888000