Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Turin Turambar posted:

* The Big Box Physical Collector's Edition is coming
Hopefully no one else does this for awhile. My wallet can only take so much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

fadam posted:

Have they said how NG+ is going to work? Do you just start with all the weapons? It'd be sick if it rearranged the combat encounters.

That's exactly what I was wondering. You don't level up like in a arpg, you can find late weapons in the first levels in the secrets in any case, and in the end you lose your arsenal at the end of each episode, so making a NG+ sounds weird. Maybe the main point will be rearranged combat encounters as you said.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
Yeah, plus the game already has a difficulty where you get killed in one hit, so it's not like they can buff enemies to do more damage or something. I really don't know how this is going to work...more enemies? Make them faster? More durable? Those are the most obvious options (in my experience) and a majority of them are kind of lame. So it'll be interesting to see what New Blood does.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Just double all of the enemies. Every single enemy, just put another one right beside it. Same for NG++. And NG+++. And NG++++. :unsmigghh:

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

In addition to my half-life run, I’m also giving the original Unreal a go. What’s the gooncensus on this game? I’m finding the first level or so has enemies that seem to take like 5-6 shots to take down, and there’s not many of them. This feels weird and puts me off playing it. I like running through levels blasting poo poo and then spending a little more time on the occasional bigger enemy with some strafe dancing. But I’m having a hard time finding this rhythm in Unreal. Do I just need to keep at it and get bigger gunz?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Yeah, keep at it. For some reason the game leads with bullet sponge enemies and shortly thereafter introduces lighter, more agile enemies. Try to put up with it until you clear the temple of Chizra and whatever the second part of that area is called, around then you start getting the fun guns and the enemy/environment variety opens up.

Jblade
Sep 5, 2006

The gameplay of Unreal really picks up when you start fighting more of the Skaarj and have more of the weapons, they're still fun and challenging to fight even today. The lower-tier enemies are one of Unreal's weakpoints (although the click that the mosquitoes make when killed is still strangely satisfying)

I remember when Firestorm and The Chosen one mods were supposed to be around the corner and then they just disappeared. poo poo happens with amateur modding but I was kinda hoping Unreal would of gotten some kind of a swan-song in SP form since Epic have basically pulled the plug on everything not Fortnite related which is incredibly depressing.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

chaosapiant posted:

In addition to my half-life run, I’m also giving the original Unreal a go. What’s the gooncensus on this game? I’m finding the first level or so has enemies that seem to take like 5-6 shots to take down, and there’s not many of them. This feels weird and puts me off playing it. I like running through levels blasting poo poo and then spending a little more time on the occasional bigger enemy with some strafe dancing. But I’m having a hard time finding this rhythm in Unreal. Do I just need to keep at it and get bigger gunz?

Unreal is part spectacle, part engine sales pitch, and part end of an era. Coming out at the same time as HL, the following years split into either narrative or arena DM, and this situation informs quite a lot of what's going on in the game.

It takes a while for the game to stop trying to wow you with its unprecedented visuals, audio, music, and triggered events, and while it's doing that, it unfortunately focuses on giving you a lot of freedom to just gawk rather than providing any kind of gameplay challenge. Once you're properly in awe, you'll have been handed a good selection of really fun weapons (and some really awful ones) and the game reverts to being the pinnacle in monster-bashing, switch hunting, light puzzling, and generally getting lost in much bigger maps than were available before.

You'll see some maps that definitely revert to the style of “oh, by the way, this is a spectacular engine” later on in the game, but at that point, they fairly quickly move past those reminders at that point and proceeds to dump enemies at you.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Mordja posted:

That's exactly what it is.

Anyway, speaking of moddb mods, this one dude's making a Star Trek and a Quest for Glory IV(?!) conversion for GZDoom some people might be interested in.

I was just doing an impression of the Burgomeister today too, gotta love QfG. John Rhys Davies as the narrator, top tier.

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

I always get really disappointed when the highest, but least fun difficulty mode has the highest enemy count.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Plan Z posted:

I always get really disappointed when the highest, but least fun difficulty mode has the highest enemy count.

New Game++ is going to have double enemy counts, instakill player damage, respawning enemies, and also you occasionally slip and fall when you apply the "run" key.

GuyonthecoucH
Apr 10, 2004

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

New Game++ is going to have double enemy counts, instakill player damage, respawning enemies, and also you occasionally slip and fall when you apply the "run" key.

You can hit the flip key to stop slipping, but the timing window is one frame and twirling your gun is required between every shot

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Didn't really target that towards anything. Brain just leaked.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

GuyonthecoucH posted:

You can hit the flip key to stop slipping, but the timing window is one frame and twirling your gun is required between every shot

Thankfully this will not be a problem for me as I am already used to flipping my gun after every shot, as everyone who cares about style should be.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Has anyone ventured here in the Place of Many Deaths (ad_dm1) map in Arcane Dimensions? I got trapped in this room with a poo poo ton of spawning zombies that I turned into tartare but now I can't get out. Were the gates supposed to drop after all the zombies are dead? I tried shooting that pentagram in the distance but it didn't do anything.

Edit: Yeah, looks like it was bugged somehow. I reloaded an old save and got through it fine. There was supposed to be a stone golem that busts through the wall but it didn't trigger for some reason.

Mak0rz fucked around with this message at 07:29 on Jan 3, 2019

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.
I've always liked the Skaarj in Unreal, they are some of the few enemies in videogames where each individual one feels like an equally skilled warrior squaring off against the player, they're just so fast and evasive I think it's a shame there aren't more enemies like that in other games.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.
Come to think of it I actually find the 'show-offy' attitude of Unreal overall just works really well on me somehow. Even after 20 years it still feels so grand and epic, especially in terms of the actual length of the game, in spite of the fact that I only picked it up for the first time around 2015. The size and scope of the environments are still actually quite impressive in a lot of ways even today, they're certainly a lot more low fidelity than stuff now obviously but the physical sizes of the environments was still really rare up until only a few years ago. When I think about it the way they are delivered through a continuous journey through very varied environments unbroken by cut-scenes and harsh transitions really sells you on this idea of being an epic adventure, and in addition to that the sense loneliness you get in the game without any real story or characters, combined with the music and colourful visuals makes for a much more impressive atmosphere than I was expecting, which is one of the signatures of those pre half-life FPS games imo.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Just tried playing F.E.A.R. for the first time. It took a bit to get it tweaked and running smoothly but holy balls does this game have super fun gunplay. Still only on the first level, but i'm really digging it. It also looks really good for its age.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Yeah, FEAR's great. Unfortunately it's a steady decline from there.

poultry slam
Jan 3, 2019

chaosapiant posted:

Just tried playing F.E.A.R. for the first time. It took a bit to get it tweaked and running smoothly but holy balls does this game have super fun gunplay. Still only on the first level, but i'm really digging it. It also looks really good for its age.

Extraction Point is definitely worth playing when you're done with the main game. Fun weapons in that one.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Mordja posted:

Yeah, FEAR's great. Unfortunately it's a steady decline from there.

One thing I noticed was how the enemies work in tight teams pretty well. Then I turned on Mandalore's review, and apparently this game was famous for its enemy AI. Can't believe this was one year after Half-Life 2.

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

chaosapiant posted:

One thing I noticed was how the enemies work in tight teams pretty well. Then I turned on Mandalore's review, and apparently this game was famous for its enemy AI. Can't believe this was one year after Half-Life 2.

It's an illusion , the soldiers in half-life 1 can do the same trick (just not as good). They're really just moving around trying to change the vision to the player but if you have them say things at particular ques that make them seem like they're working as a team and make the levels tight (most of the work went here, if you put them in a badly designed level it would completely break down) to funnel them around the player it works quite well.

haveblue posted:

Yes. That's why the game looks so muddy in software, each color usable for a texel needs to be accompanied by a set of alternate colors for different light intensities and there are only 256 total palette slots.

So when GLquake appeared and the colormap wasn't used anymore it could go beyond the limits of the palette if needed and have colored lighting for example?
Also for quake and doom which are limited to the palette how did it manage a colored tint overlay that some pickups caused, just have to make room for it in the palette?
edit: nevermind I just saw the powerups have their own palette in the wad.

Flannelette fucked around with this message at 07:34 on Jan 3, 2019

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Flannelette posted:

So when GLquake appeared and the colormap wasn't used anymore it could go beyond the limits of the palette if needed and have colored lighting for example?
Technically, yes, it could've, but since Quake started life as a software-renderer-only game without colored lighting, nothing was coded to make that happen. Nevertheless sourceports later added the feature, in such a way that a source port that doesn't support it (or the original EXEs) can just ignore the color and go for pure luminance instead. Likewise, id themselves did code support for it in Quake 2, though I'm not 100% where it got used. I think lava glows orange. It's a very orange game in general, though, so deviations from that should stick out in my head, but beyond maybe an early prison level with red (and maybe blue) lighting, not much comes to mind.

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

Shadow Hog posted:

Technically, yes, it could've, but since Quake started life as a software-renderer-only game without colored lighting, nothing was coded to make that happen. Nevertheless sourceports later added the feature, in such a way that a source port that doesn't support it (or the original EXEs) can just ignore the color and go for pure luminance instead. Likewise, id themselves did code support for it in Quake 2, though I'm not 100% where it got used. I think lava glows orange. It's a very orange game in general, though, so deviations from that should stick out in my head, but beyond maybe an early prison level with red (and maybe blue) lighting, not much comes to mind.

Quake 2 has lots of colored lighting (lots of orange yeah I think that's supposed to be the sky) but if you switch over to software in it you see it was all over the place (all the lights were tinted, computers etc).

Pathos
Sep 8, 2000

Yeah Quake 2 software is a really dramatically different look than the hardware rendered game. I personally think the “cold” look of the base game is better than the hyper-orange accelerated game, but some other parts of it are lackluster.

Quake 2 is a really weird game. I hugely prefer Q1 in pretty much all ways.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde
Pro Blood 3

:allears: Just imagine this expanding as soon as he says "gently caress this episode. gently caress. This. Episode."

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Thyrork posted:

Pro Blood 3

:allears: Just imagine this expanding as soon as he says "gently caress this episode. gently caress. This. Episode."

Was about to post that video too. Really liking Civvie's Pro Blood videos (I even watched his full Blood 2 LP).

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i'm a huge quake person and i enjoy quake 1 and 2 for different and generally equal reasons. 1 is more dreamlike and has a much more 'fun' aesthetic while 2 has a fairly consistent one with a lot of neat setpieces that have to do with the setting. 1's variety is nice in its own way but i also enjoy how 2 really gives the feeling of crashing through a sprawling complex to ruin basically everything. the gunplay in both is also great so there's not really any comparisons to be made with the pros and cons as far as i'm concerned.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Speaking of Quake 2, I've currently got it installed with some port. Not sure which one, but it's a mostly vanilla game. Anywho, is there a way to get rawinput for the mouse? There is this weird acceleration curve where my mouse is slow slow slow and then my dude does 4 360s in a row because it ramps up too fast.

Edit: Also, I picked up Duke Nukem Forever on sale. Not even sure if/when i'll play it. How good is the game as a shooter? I don't care about plot/characterization/ethics or any of that poo poo. I've seen reviews on Youtube that go from "this game sucks because the jokes are bad and it's sexist" to "it's actually not a terrible shooter." I don't care about the former.

chaosapiant fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Jan 3, 2019

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
DNF as a shooter is a late-00s shooter, which means it's already dated throuhout most of the game. The driving and minigames are honestly more fun.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Uncle Kitchener posted:

DNF as a shooter is a late-00s shooter, which means it's already dated throuhout most of the game. The driving and minigames are honestly more fun.

I haven't really played any console shooters, and also haven't played any recent PC shooters outside of Doom/Wolfenstein. What was wrong with this error of shooter? Was it all brown corridor/waist high wall/cover based/health regen stuff? Or is there something else to it?

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

it's generic as poo poo and nothing about it feels good

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
I do recall hearing that the DLC was almost OK though?

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
I won't say it feels bad most of the time unless you're playing on skill 4 and not trying to die from one or two hits from pigs, but it feels pretty generic.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

why buy a game just so you can get the dlc which is said to be 'maybe it's not 100% dogshit' when you can just get an actually good game and then maybe some dlc that makes it even better

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
Hey, the DLC is objectively a lot better. I'm not one to judge people on what they want to try out. People are naturally curious.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

I'll give it a go at some point and see how it is. I'm on an FPS kick lately. They used to be my jam in the 90s, up until Quake 2. That game was not really playable on my 486DX/100. Quake 1 ran around 15-20 FPS and felt fine because I was dumb, but then my friend's shiny new Pentium 66 upstaged me and I just played poo poo on Nintendo 64 for a while (and not any of the FPSs either.) I never got into any of the build engine games, or the Halos, CODS, or whatever else is/was the hot new poo poo. So now I'm installing and playing Quakes-1-4, all the Dooms, Duke, Blood, Shadow Warrior, Fear, Half-life, Unreal, etc etc.

My fondest memory when I was a teenager was playing Descent deathmatch with my friend over dial up. My son will never know the joy of "get off the phone mooooom! I'm playing a gaaaaaaame!"

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

I thought that the shooting was pretty fun in DNF and all of the weapons felt good to use. The problem is that actually shooting stuff is like 15% of the game.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

chaosapiant posted:

My fondest memory when I was a teenager was playing Descent deathmatch with my friend over dial up. My son will never know the joy of "get off the phone mooooom! I'm playing a gaaaaaaame!"
Check out Overload, it's a spiritual successor by the original devs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Mordja posted:

Check out Overload, it's a spiritual successor by the original devs.

Oh yea, I've got that. It's also an absolute awesome experience in VR and plays super well with an Xbox controller.