Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is your resolution for the new year?
This poll is closed.
To play more games 54 12.68%
To play more games 52 12.21%
To play less games...sorry, I meant more games 70 16.43%
To play games more 79 18.54%
Something else (in addition to playing more games) 66 15.49%
To make more/less Bowsette references 105 24.65%
Total: 219 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
The achievement is the only real participation trophy. You started our game, here you go, customer. Your start the game chev.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth
Just in case no one saw my previous post, you should go play Earthbound.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Everyone on this forum has already played and beaten Earthbound

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

i did it 20+ years ago, even

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Jay Rust posted:

:wrong:

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"
As a kid, like most of my NES and SNES games I got Earthbound used, and it didn't come with anything but the cartridge. I thought the game was broken when I started instantly winning battles, and when I got the control reversing mushroom.

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy
https://www.dualshockers.com/catherine-steam-pc-teaser/

Catherine on PC? gently caress yes, finally. Just give me online too please.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

i replayed earthbound just a couple years back and it shocked me how incredibly easy it was when you're not a 9 year old kid who doesn't know how to play videogames and also you don't try keeping the casey bat equipped when you get it (although it turns out it'll autowin you battles easier)

fondly remembering all the misinformation and misprints in the stinky players guide...

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

I said come in! posted:

I was talking about something similar to that in the last thread. Game design now is all about shoe horning in carrots on a stick to keep people playing. The thing is that none of these mechanics actually add any value to games, and certainly don't make them enjoyable. I really want to see games get away from progress bars, stat tracking, and achievements. Maybe next gen. :/ Just play your games for the sake of playing them!

i don't have a single platinum trophy but i have 100% plenty of games i really like. donkey kong country 2, majora's mask, skies of arcadia, the wonderful 101... though i guess that last one does have in-game achievements

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Wamdoodle posted:

I'm reminded of I think an NBA game that required you to be online at the same time with 1 million concurrent players. It was something ridiculous. No one has it, I believe.

Early on there were a couple of games with trophies for getting the #1 spot on leaderboards. I think there was also a boxing game that had an achievement for becoming world champion but you could only do it by beating whichever single player was currently champion.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

haveblue posted:

Early on there were a couple of games with trophies for getting the #1 spot on leaderboards.

The benchmarking tool I use on Steam gives out achievements that basically just say "you have a good computer."

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I'm super glad I don't give a poo poo about trophies

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
I beat Halo 3 although the final level where you drive a poorly controlled buggy across bumpy destructible terrain without being able to see where your going across an instant death drop is some serious bullshit.

The next game on my list is Skate, which I'm very excited for! I wasn't even going to play it but after all the Skate 4 hype at E3 I couldn't ignore it. I did some THPS back in the day so I'm hoping that this is a worthy successor.

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth

cheetah7071 posted:

I'm super glad I don't give a poo poo about trophies

yee

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

haveblue posted:

Early on there were a couple of games with trophies for getting the #1 spot on leaderboards. I think there was also a boxing game that had an achievement for becoming world champion but you could only do it by beating whichever single player was currently champion.

oh yeah. I'm not sure if it's true but allegedly the world champs would ask for money to fight them. maybe playground rumor lol

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

People in MMORPGs pay real money to be carried through the most difficult raids for the achievements

Or maybe they just pay just in-game currency, idk

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Who do I pay to carry me through real life

May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"
I think in WoW at least it's both, though they keep the real money stuff out of game since I think it's against the rules.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
There was someone in ffxiv who I saw hanging out a lot because they had a house next to mine named Avatar Korra and I believe they paid for a server transfer twice plus the cost of the carry to be carried through the insanely hard fight that nobody on their server could carry people through, because it gave you the title "The Avatar"

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Jay Rust posted:

I haven't.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

cheetah7071 posted:

There was someone in ffxiv who I saw hanging out a lot because they had a house next to mine named Avatar Korra and I believe they paid for a server transfer twice plus the cost of the carry to be carried through the insanely hard fight that nobody on their server could carry people through, because it gave you the title "The Avatar"

that owns

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Jay Rust posted:

People in MMORPGs pay real money to be carried through the most difficult raids for the achievements

Or maybe they just pay just in-game currency, idk

I didn’t think that happened anymore. WoW raids now are done with random players and everyone gets gear each boss kill.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
There's a thriving Destiny carry industry starting with Trials of Osiris in the first game (basically a periodic elimination tournament) and going on through the super sweaty mode in D2. There's now a powerful gun you can get for max rank in the latter but the playlist is full of people who already have it trying to stop you so it's like slamming your dick in a vice for a few weeks.

Rarity posted:

I beat Halo 3 although the final level where you drive a poorly controlled buggy across bumpy destructible terrain without being able to see where your going across an instant death drop is some serious bullshit.

That segment is an homage to the ending of the first game, which also had you drive along a huge racetrack with stuff shooting at you. But back then they didn't have the tech for the bumpy terrain and blowing holes in the course in real time so it's a good bit easier.

May 8, 2006

I said come in! posted:

I didn’t think that happened anymore. WoW raids now are done with random players and everyone gets gear each boss kill.

I think it's just for the achievement, titles and mounts really.

Once or twice I've seen it justified as an alternate progression path - instead of working your way up the raiding ladder, you do other poo poo and amass money then buy your way around it.

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth

Play some Earthbound

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
Tidus is great, why the hell do people dislike this guy and his irrepressible love of sport

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

He’s slow, loud, and dresses like a jerk

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
FFX is good, tidus included

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

corn in the bible posted:

Tidus is great, why the hell do people dislike this guy and his irrepressible love of sport

I’ve always thought this too. Okay, the English voice actor leaves a bit to be desired at time, but I loved his story. The dude has a lot of conflicting opinions about his dad, and then it turns out his dad is literally Sin, this unstoppable force causing mass destruction on Spira, and what do you even do with that information? It was great.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Jay Rust posted:

He’s slow, loud, and dresses like a jerk

Okay so you’re not wrong, but I still love Tidus.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Lulu is like, “We’re Yuna’s guardians” and Tidus asks, “What’s a guardian?”

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

I said come in! posted:

I’ve always thought this too.

I'm not sure but I think Corn is doing a first playthrough so spoiler tags might be called for

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

Tidus being kind of a dope with a fresh optimistic perspective is ultimately what Spira needed to break from its cycle of defeatism and powerlessness.

May 8, 2006

If I remember 2001 correctly, many people disliked Tidus because he looked too feminine and a lot of it is probably still that but papered over a bit

Tidus and his pants are cool though

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Jay Rust posted:

Lulu is like, “We’re Yuna’s guardians” and Tidus asks, “What’s a guardian?”

He does ask a lot of painfully stupid questions. Like, come on dude, these terms are self explanatory, we are not in Final Fantasy XIII here. You can figure this poo poo out on your own with even a little bit of thought. I loved how multiple characters ask him if he didn’t just bump his head on a rock, and he at least one point laughs his stupidity off as being poisoned by Sin.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
Tie-dus is good

Tee-dus is extremely bad

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

MMF Freeway posted:

Tie-dus is good

Tee-dus is extremely bad

:hmmyes:

May 8, 2006

MMF Freeway posted:

Tie-dus is good

Tee-dus is extremely bad

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

So weird that they let you rename him

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Refer to him by his proper title, Star Player of the Zanarkand Abes.