Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

Pollyanna posted:

Unfortunately the series I saw for Exoria covered the grand majority of it...so now I feel kinda spoiled. Wonder if I should play it anyway.

I got spoiled on it, too -- there was (is?) a bug with one of the dimension mods where if you construct a second portal inside its dimension, it takes you back to the spoileriffic overworld, so I basically got all of the story right then. Still, if you enjoy challenge modpacks, it's fairly well put together. Futurepack drags on forever though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

I got spoiled on it, too -- there was (is?) a bug with one of the dimension mods where if you construct a second portal inside its dimension, it takes you back to the spoileriffic overworld, so I basically got all of the story right then. Still, if you enjoy challenge modpacks, it's fairly well put together. Futurepack drags on forever though.

Yeah, from what I've seen of Futurepack, I dunno if I'm a fan of it.

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

Devor posted:

I’ve started getting into Chaotic Progression which uses a hexagonal map generation so you get lots of biomes near each other. The quest book is helpful to explain some of the weird things. It features Silents Gems and omits Tinkers. Mobs are pretty deadly and creepers will annihilate your base, as you progress they get worse
Oh hell this sounds pretty fun actually

Devor posted:

and start trying to destroy your base with picks and explosives, needing Hardened blocks to protect you. A little bit of Craft of the Titans in that way, but way less intense early on.
oh goddammit

I get most people like to play modded in a "lemme just go slam everything on the ground whatever" manner but I like to make poo poo pretty and not have to automate a bunch of hardened variants just to play the drat game

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Whalley posted:

oh goddammit

I get most people like to play modded in a "lemme just go slam everything on the ground whatever" manner but I like to make poo poo pretty and not have to automate a bunch of hardened variants just to play the drat game

Tier 1 is cobblestone, sand and gravel and makes 16 per recipe
Tier 2 is Tier 1 plus smooth stone
Not sure about Tier 3.

I think a floating base with hardened stuff below will be important

The pack uses Sky Resources for its ore generation, so you’ll do some Combustion and Condenser fun too

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Eat your hamburgers, Apollo.
Pillbug

Whalley posted:

oh goddammit

I think my issue with this is that losing a bunch of resources lategame is crippling in a modded Minecraft pack, so I don't bother doing this sort of thing unless there's a safe haven sort of deal.

I think having a setup where you have an Exoria-style multiple world scenario along with some sort of incentive to build in a CotT/etc world would be more interesting - maybe beacons like Blightfall? Either way, without it it's 100% nope.gif from me.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Having a safe home base in Minecraft is basically non-negotiable to me and having to babysit your base never works out because the mechanics are just not made for it. It's like how in some modpacks the best way to protect your base when mobs are rushing or there's a bloodmoon or whatever is to just go somewhere else so your base stays safe, because it's naturally going to be worth more than your life.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003
Are there any fireproof mobs in Chaotic Progression that can destroy your base? If not, you could just put lava under your floating base. I'm not sure how you'd be able to get in and out but that's a solution!

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

You could just pole up and down. v:v:v

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Pollyanna posted:

In CotT, at least, enemies could nerdpole up.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Pollyanna posted:

Through the lava? When I said "under the base" I meant like, lava falls.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

McFrugal posted:

Through the lava? When I said "under the base" I meant like, lava falls.

Oh hmmmm. Time to invent magmaproof armor.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
Automate fire resistance potion creation, place storage at both sides of your entrance. :v:

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Such comfortable, magical pants!
Lipstick Apathy
I found CotT pretty fun because it was nice to have to build a fortress for once. I mean, even in Blightfall I just had a fence around my base as the entirety of the work I needed to do to stave off the tainted enemies. It's not a pack you go into for peaceful mining and just building a pretty house, it's a unique sort of experience. I ended up just having a big castle wall around my Prefab house, which I placed up on a hill and fortified a bit, and it was as safe as I needed.

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012
in CotT, I've found enemies to be generally annoying and the fact they get increasing more HP and power as time goes on makes it annoying, eventually lava doesn't do it anymore, and to prevent any of that poo poo from spawning in your base you are probably just make the tower of kefka in minecraft or some poo poo. God help you if they spawn inside your base, they will prioritize literally eat the contents of your chests, lighting everything on fire, and break everything else. And you have to maintain your perimeter and make sure you stay behind walls to avoid the snipers, AND figure out what the gently caress you need to craft,

and you can't just AFK because they will eventually break your defenses and their health will increase over time. masses of 100 HP mobs that dig though walls, steal all your equipment, and destroy everything makes it annoying, because if they break in once it might be easier to restart than trying to rebuild what they broke.

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007
Cyber-Monocle sporting Space Billionaire
Modular Turrets? You can absolutely get a good early game base defense with just the tier one cobble shooting turrets, and eventually upgrade to a fully automated railgun or laser turret system.

Not really base defense, but I think my favorite trick I used in the first Craft of the Titans was creating a targeted recall spell that dropped mobs into a room under my blood altar filled with the glass shard spikes that drain blood. Trained my wizard levels, effectively one-shot mobs, and filled my altar all at once!

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Such comfortable, magical pants!
Lipstick Apathy
I enjoyed shooting the AM2 wave+starfall spell over my walls, personally.

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

Got the golem press to work, It has to be in the exact set up as in the book. you cant do it backwards for instance.

Oh happy new year too :)

Now im trying to make mutagen for the advanced mett thingy.

Mutagen needs a mutagen producer.

That needs 2 gendusty power modules.

Each needs a mek basic energy cube.

Basic energy cube rec is disabled?

It my mek tab, i only have

the fusion reactor, elite/ultime installer, digital miner, quantum entanglporter and the evaportation plant not complete.

How do i get the energy cubes?

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

stoneblock - kinda want to make my base around a big central column opening on the sky, so i've been nerdpoling up and using mining explosives to blast out the column

except

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

stoneblock - kinda want to make my base around a big central column opening on the sky, so i've been nerdpoling up and using mining explosives to blast out the column

except

Yup!

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007
Cyber-Monocle sporting Space Billionaire
Are you looking down or... Is that up? I only gave stoneblock a half hour or so but is the sky made of lava?

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

SynthesisAlpha posted:

Are you looking down or... Is that up? I only gave stoneblock a half hour or so but is the sky made of lava?

Yup!

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003
How thick is the sky lava barrier?

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

Ignorance, the root of all evil
Just chug some potions and block the lava away.

Hell, you don't even need the potions, just use a piston and a cobblegen.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

the falling lava attacks me in my most vulnerable spot - my framerate

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

McFrugal posted:

How thick is the sky lava barrier?

it's only 1 block wide and you can place blocks in it to remove it.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

MaliciousOnion posted:

Just chug some potions and block the lava away.

Hell, you don't even need the potions, just use a piston and a cobblegen.

.. I play so much modded that I've never really used any vanilla mechanics. I guess I knew that pistons could move blocks, but I never thought about using them for removing that lava top covering. Never really used redstone either...

I suppose all I need is a 3x3 grid of pistons, activate them once, then dig up thru the center and start filling it in.

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Pillbug

Ambaire posted:

.. I play so much modded that I've never really used any vanilla mechanics. I guess I knew that pistons could move blocks, but I never thought about using them for removing that lava top covering. Never really used redstone either...

I suppose all I need is a 3x3 grid of pistons, activate them once, then dig up thru the center and start filling it in.

Yeah honestly now I just want a modpack or challenge map that runs me through a ton of vanilla mechanics I keep forgetting about.

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011
Slime blocks + pistons do weird and crazy things and at the same time it's like :effort: when you've got a magic block/wand that does it all without hours of troubleshooting.

Edit : Apparently, they just released stoneblock 2 a few hours ago. Didn't the first one like.. just come out?

Wolpertinger fucked around with this message at 08:15 on Jan 3, 2019

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Falcon2001 posted:

Yeah honestly now I just want a modpack or challenge map that runs me through a ton of vanilla mechanics I keep forgetting about.

While not as interactive as a modpack or challenge map, YTer pixlriffs has been doing a "Minecraft Survival Guide" which is a fairly good overview of vanilla mechanics done in a not too slow but still fairly comprehensive fashion. I've enjoyed it as something to listen to while mining, caving, or otherwise farming on the vanilla server I play on. He's got a decent voice and each episode focuses on a discreet chunk of vanilla gameplay so if there's something that you're not interested in, such as when he goes over building techniques and choosing block palettes for instance if you just want mechanics-focused things, you wouldn't really miss anything by skipping over them.

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Pillbug

Potsticker posted:

While not as interactive as a modpack or challenge map, YTer pixlriffs has been doing a "Minecraft Survival Guide" which is a fairly good overview of vanilla mechanics done in a not too slow but still fairly comprehensive fashion. I've enjoyed it as something to listen to while mining, caving, or otherwise farming on the vanilla server I play on. He's got a decent voice and each episode focuses on a discreet chunk of vanilla gameplay so if there's something that you're not interested in, such as when he goes over building techniques and choosing block palettes for instance if you just want mechanics-focused things, you wouldn't really miss anything by skipping over them.

Hey thanks! This sounds great.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Wolpertinger posted:

Edit : Apparently, they just released stoneblock 2 a few hours ago. Didn't the first one like.. just come out?

:wtc: What the hell else is there to add to Stoneblock?

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

MORE stone and MORE block, obviously

:cmon:

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Pollyanna posted:

:wtc: What the hell else is there to add to Stoneblock?
No, see, this is better because it's branded with FTB.

fake edit: it looks like SB2 adds Thaumcraft, and removes RFTools, Refined Storage, and a bunch of small mods.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Evil Mastermind posted:

No, see, this is better because it's branded with FTB.

fake edit: it looks like SB2 adds Thaumcraft, and removes RFTools, Refined Storage, and a bunch of small mods.

Sounds like it removed the tick-heavy mods.

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

Evil Mastermind posted:

"drat, people were having fun with this too much, let's get rid of the easy emc and storage options and put in The loving Research Game Mod Again"

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

To be fair, Refined Storage is a flaming pile of poo poo if you want to do anything more than "store items in the disk drive."

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

To be fair, Refined Storage is a flaming pile of poo poo if you want to do anything more than "store items in the disk drive."
to be faaaiiiiiiir

I don't get why people say that; I've used it to automate basically everything I've needed to automate, including the 'weird' poo poo like the AA empowerer, DE infusing, and stuff like turning on and off mob farms when I don't have certain amounts of materials. I don't even know how to do some of that stuff with AE2.

Sure, there's no mod that gives you infinite range on its wireless transmitter, but uhhhh that's kinda it. What can't it do, really?

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Whalley posted:

What can't it do, really?

Have any reasonable expectation of performance on a multiplayer server. It's coded by a bonobo.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

yeah i think you're kind of missing the point of why it was removed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fortis
Oct 21, 2009

feelin' fine
Did they replace RS with AE2? As far as I know, AE2 is still as server friendly as ever.