Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Lucas deliberately tried to make the old Droids cartoon in the style of Moebius' Airtight Garage, so more eurocomics influence in Star Wars is always good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=riIOiNq0RHk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4CBrGbpC6UQ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
Do we ever hear Keira Knightley's voice in Episode 1?

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

General Dog posted:

Necessarily so, as there are scenes where both Padme and Sabé speak.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.
It would have been a way better Empire-style twist if Rey had joined Kylo. It even would have had a basis since she wanted a sense of belonging so badly and was developing that relationship with him and as far as she knew the Resistance was dead and Luke was a disillusioned fraud. It even would have silenced the critique of her as too perfect because then all the perfection up until that point could have been seen as ironic or a red herring. In fact it's almost like the whole movie was building to that.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I had no idea what she was going to do in the theater and yeah

That was good tension.

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

MonsieurChoc posted:

Lucas deliberately tried to make the old Droids cartoon in the style of Moebius' Airtight Garage, so more eurocomics influence in Star Wars is always good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=riIOiNq0RHk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4CBrGbpC6UQ

unfortunately not as good a mobeius tribute as the panzer dragoon series, but what are you gonna do

Slutitution
Jun 26, 2018

by Nyc_Tattoo

McCloud posted:

So here's a question: Lucas obviously had a heavy hand in the clone wars animated cartoons, right?

These cartoons have a message that ostensibly goes against that of the movies themselves, which is that the Jedi are yuuge fuckups. In the series, they're the heroic knights that the OT make them up to be, caring about the fodder clone troopers, bravely sacrificing themselves to save innocents etc. How do you square these two conflicting stories?

It's almost as if this franchise is a giant mess.

Slutitution
Jun 26, 2018

by Nyc_Tattoo

Jewel Repetition posted:

It would have been a way better Empire-style twist if Rey had joined Kylo. It even would have had a basis since she wanted a sense of belonging so badly and was developing that relationship with him and as far as she knew the Resistance was dead and Luke was a disillusioned fraud. It even would have silenced the critique of her as too perfect because then all the perfection up until that point could have been seen as ironic or a red herring. In fact it's almost like the whole movie was building to that.

Her joining Kylo would have been seen as antifeminist and unwoke, though.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Zas posted:

unfortunately not as good a mobeius tribute as the panzer dragoon series, but what are you gonna do

True, but I give points for effort.

Man, I wish we had some legit crazyness and imagination in the new movies.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

MonsieurChoc posted:

True, but I give points for effort.

Man, I wish we had some legit crazyness and imagination in the new movies.

Who are you to doubt Death Star Battering Ram Cannon?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I like the idea that the death star is being thrown into everything like ATOMS were in the 50s.

Look out, it's a death star toothbrush!

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

I noticed there was another discussion about whether the prequels were actually good or not and no one i think mentioned how creative and good and actually original the designs are!

and that to me is the most important part of star wars. and yeah the disney movies are kinda mostly a fail there...

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

General Dog posted:

I think she has at least one line, where Portman mentions how dangerous their mission will be and Knightley says, "We are brave, your highness."

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Wheat Loaf posted:

I think she has at least one line, where Portman mentions how dangerous their mission will be and Knightley says, "We are brave, your highness."

Other way around, no? I always thought Knightley acted as the queen there and that was Padme's way of telling her to go ahead.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Grendels Dad posted:

Other way around, no? I always thought Knightley acted as the queen there and that was Padme's way of telling her to go ahead.

I can't remember. Either way, that's the long and short of it. Likewise, Dormé (the double who is killed by the bomb at the start of AOTC) was one of Rose Byrne's first roles in Hollywood, which I only learned recently. Same with Joel Edgerton in that movie.

I remember I had stuff like the Scholastic novelisation of TPM for children and the Star Wars Episode I Adventure Journal and stuff like that and there seemed to be a lot of confusion about whether Padme was her real name. I distinctly recall one of them saying something like "'Padme' was not a real person; she was an identity that Amidala had invented for when she needed to disguise herself as one of her own handmaidens." There was a lot of stuff like that; it seems that there was some miscommunication involved between the various writers.

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

Bongo Bill posted:

Necessarily so, as there are scenes where both Padme and Sabé speak.

Portman dubbed both her own and Keira Knightley's lines as the Queen in post-production so that they would match and better hide the twist. Portman's voice was also artificially pitch-shifted (in early trailers you can hear her speaking in her normal voice as the Queen).

Wheat Loaf posted:

That was Padme. The only time we see Sabe as a handmaiden is in the background during the end celebration. She's next to Obi-Wan:

Interestingly, the intention may originally have been that "Padme" was only an alias while "Amidala" was the character's true name, which would explain why no one would grow suspicious at a handmaiden with the Queen's first name suddenly popping up from out of nowhere (I have memories of reading official material as a kid around the time the film came out that stated this explicitly). But presumably it was decided that "Padme" was a more fitting name for the character and so it was carried over as her real name for subsequent films, with "Amidala" as a regnal name. In a universe where fugitive Obi-Wan Kenobi decides to hide out on Tatooine under the clever alias of "Ben Kenobi," I think we can let it slide.

Cnut the Great fucked around with this message at 12:38 on Jan 3, 2019

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Cnut the Great posted:

Portman dubbed both her own and Keira Knightley's lines as the Queen in post-production so that they would match and better hide the twist.

Honestly, it's weird to think that it was a twist.

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

Wheat Loaf posted:

Honestly, it's weird to think that it was a twist.

Publicity materials in the run-up to the film's release all treated Padme and the Queen as separate characters. And going into the film blind, there would be no real way to tell. I remember people speculating early on that the Queen character must be Princess Leia's mother, for obvious reasons, but once you started watching the film and saw that the handmaiden was the love interest, you might just as well have assumed that expectations were being deliberately subverted (I hate how loaded that phrase is now in Star Wars discussions).

e: Of course, if you paid attention to casting information, the twist would be spoiled, as I believe it was indeed publicly reported by various sources that Natalie Portman was playing the Queen. But I don't think that was an issue for your average, casual viewer.

Cnut the Great fucked around with this message at 12:53 on Jan 3, 2019

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
See, I never got that impression when I was eight, because I could see the characters were both being played by Natalie Portman and assumed she was just using a fake name. :v:

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

Wheat Loaf posted:

See, I never got that impression when I was eight, because I could see the characters were both being played by Natalie Portman and assumed she was just using a fake name. :v:

Maybe I was just a dumb seven-year-old. But the first time Natalie Portman actually appears without her face obscured by makeup, it's right next to a person who looks exactly like the Queen you just saw in the previous scenes. My natural reaction was to take it at face value rather than suspect a twist.

e: IMO the funnier prequel "twist" is the fact that Darth Sidious and Palpatine are the same individual, which was never confirmed in any official materials before Episode III despite it being completely obvious to long-time Star Wars fans, as well as any viewers who were paying remote attention to what transpired on screen. But it still apparently managed to surprise some people, especially child viewers. And there were also all kinds of crazy theories on fan boards that there actually was going to be a real twist, where it would be revealed at the last moment that Darth Sidious had in fact been a clone of Palpatine all along.

Cnut the Great fucked around with this message at 13:03 on Jan 3, 2019

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I had no idea when I saw it in the theater the first time.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

I don't really remember if I suspected something about the Amidala/Padme switcharoo, however I do remember going :stonk: when Padme started talking to young, very young Anakin.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Admittedly I had a hard time following a lot of Phantom Menace in the cinema and paid the most attention during the podracing and lightsabering bits.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

A part of me still wishes A New Hope was made and released in 1977 and then Star Wars disappeared from pop culture after and was never seen again. Other than a small cult following today that still enjoyed the original movie.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

But then Empire would never have been made. Therefore I dislike this alternate universe of yours immensely.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Yeah, would have been nice if Vader adopted Luke out of kindness.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Apropos of nothing, but I read the novelization of Return of the Jedi before watching the movie.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Colostomy Bag posted:

Yeah, would have been nice if Vader adopted Luke out of kindness.

He did try to do this multiple times, which is odd considering Vader is his biological father.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

I said come in! posted:

He did try to do this multiple times, which is odd considering Vader is his biological father.

Well I guess if my biological dad slashed my arm off...

Or the tunnel scene in ROTJ?

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Colostomy Bag posted:

Well I guess if my biological dad slashed my arm off...

Or the tunnel scene in ROTJ?

Woulda been so much eaiser if Vader brought up the father bit before lightsabers started being swung around. He has some anger issues that affect his family and work life.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

I said come in! posted:

Woulda been so much eaiser if Vader brought up the father bit before lightsabers started being swung around. He has some anger issues that affect his family and work life.

Luke’s the aggressor throughout most the confrontation. He’s the one who pulls out his saber, and he’s the one who advances on Vader. Vader, for his part, spends most of that fight backing off and trying to wear Luke out without cutting him in half.

Schwarzwald fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Jan 3, 2019

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Schwarzwald posted:

Luke’s the aggressor throughout most the confrontation. He’s the one who pulls out his saber, and he’s the one who advances on Vader. Vader, for his part, spends most of that fight backing off and trying to wear Luke out without cutting him in half.

This is a good point. I'm now picturing Luke being all NO DAD YOU SHUT THE gently caress UP and then attacking first and it's funny to me.

To be fair though Luke had credible information to suggest Vader was extremely hostile and dangerous to him. Vader's intention was to turn Luke, but Luke did not know that at the time.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

I said come in! posted:

What was Vader's work life? Is there anything in the EU where he sits down on the couch and pops open a beer.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Colostomy Bag posted:

What was Vader's work life? Is there anything in the EU where he sits down on the couch and pops open a beer.

We see him murder multiple co-workers throughout the Empire Strikes Back is what I mean

As far as we know, Vader only likes to meditate after a hard day of working for the emporer. We see this is Empire Strikes Back, and Rogue One so it's only twice really.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Luke was also coming in real hot after getting a force vision of his friends in pain and then being shot at by Bubba Fatt when he arrived at Cloud City.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

AndyElusive posted:

Luke was also coming in real hot after getting a force vision of his friends in pain and then being shot at by Bubba Fatt when he arrived at Cloud City.

Exactly, and he saw his friends being kidnapped, Leia was yelling at him that it was a trap.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

I was thinking today about how to make the ST characters more interesting and I realized that the new She-Ra wrote Finn's story 10x better

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

I said come in! posted:

A part of me still wishes A New Hope was made and released in 1977 and then Star Wars disappeared from pop culture after and was never seen again. Other than a small cult following today that still enjoyed the original movie.

I wonder what it would have been like if the first ever Star Wars film hadn't come out until this year. Can you imagine the internet's reaction?

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Davros1 posted:

I wonder what it would have been like if the first ever Star Wars film hadn't come out until this year. Can you imagine the internet's reaction?

It wouldn't have been made to begin with if it wasn't based on existing IP. Studio would've said, "nice script, alternate-universe George Lucas, I think this would be perfect to retool as a Last Starfighter reboot."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Davros1 posted:

In this hypothetical does everything derivative of Star Wars also not exist? Because otherwise you'd get a https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/SeinfeldIsUnfunny situation