Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

OK, I was trying to figure out the drive arrangement from the pictures, and was just confusing myself.
With that hatch answer, I think I see it - it's a transverse engine and transaxle in the rear, with a beam axle, but halfshafts to the actual hubs, right?
Weird, but neat.

edit: new page! This is on the Acty pickup, for context.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Darchangel posted:

OK, I was trying to figure out the drive arrangement from the pictures, and was just confusing myself.
With that hatch answer, I think I see it - it's a transverse engine and transaxle in the rear, with a beam axle, but halfshafts to the actual hubs, right?
Weird, but neat.
Correct, it's called a De Dion tube axle.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Darchangel posted:

Weird, but neat.

edit: new page! This is on the Acty pickup, for context.

Here is another picture showing the engine and the rear wheels. It looks like you're right. And they didn't change it even into the 90s:

This is underneath the 1993 Acty van I have on the way, same arrangement but a generation or two beyond.

EDIT

All Actys are rear-midengine

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

official yospos cat censor
Hey kakermix where do we go to find not terrible tires for out dumb tiny cars? Online doesn't even have options for our tiny wheels on most sites.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

wargames posted:

Hey kakermix where do we go to find not terrible tires for out dumb tiny cars? Online doesn't even have options for our tiny wheels on most sites.

You don't. I had lovely tires on the AZ-1 for lack of choice. For things like tiny sports tires or 10 Acty wheels I always have the tires installed in Japan. Yeah it's an extra cost but trying to ship 4 loose tires from Japan is going to be more expensive anyway.
Actually, I do still have the OEM AZ-1 sports compound tires, Bridgestone Playz. 155/65R13s, 2011 date on them which is why I got new ones but I should have left them on. They're yours if you want them.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

InitialDave posted:

Correct, it's called a De Dion tube axle.

I've heard of/seen a De Dion, but I thought they were independent, utilizing the half-shaft as the upper suspension member.

edit: nope. Straight axle with fixed diff it is. Very interesting.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Darchangel posted:

I've heard of/seen a De Dion, but I thought they were independent, utilizing the half-shaft as the upper suspension member.
I'm not sure De Dion did that, Jaguar did though.

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

KakerMix posted:

You don't. I had lovely tires on the AZ-1 for lack of choice. For things like tiny sports tires or 10 Acty wheels I always have the tires installed in Japan. Yeah it's an extra cost but trying to ship 4 loose tires from Japan is going to be more expensive anyway.
Actually, I do still have the OEM AZ-1 sports compound tires, Bridgestone Playz. 155/65R13s, 2011 date on them which is why I got new ones but I should have left them on. They're yours if you want them.

I got bridgestones on the az-1 no idea size (probably 155/65R13) and no idea how old they are. I do however see our co.uk bros have tires in our size as an option.

https://www.mytyres.co.uk/cgi-bin/r...earch+for+tyres

wargames fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Dec 21, 2018

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

InitialDave posted:

I'm not sure De Dion did that, Jaguar did though.

Jags definitely did a version of that. It looks like I'm more describing a swing axle, though, maybe. Or whatever the thing in the back of a Triumph Herald.
Check this weird:

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Darchangel posted:

Jags definitely did a version of that. It looks like I'm more describing a swing axle, though, maybe. Or whatever the thing in the back of a Triumph Herald.
Check this weird:

The Triumph design changes over time, earlier one does use the driveshaft as effectively a swingarm, and is a true swingarm design, while later on they added a proper bottom arm and a guibo joint at the outer end of the shaft.

glyph
Apr 6, 2006

Question to all of you scouting auctions on the regular- How often to those type 3/Citroen van body kitted kei vans come up for sale?

I'm guessing never, but I was just telling a friend who is looking to start a catering business about them. It'd be great (or make me look like a whole lot less of a dope) if they were even somewhat feasible to find and import.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

glyph posted:

Question to all of you scouting auctions on the regular- How often to those type 3/Citroen van body kitted kei vans come up for sale?

I'm guessing never, but I was just telling a friend who is looking to start a catering business about them. It'd be great (or make me look like a whole lot less of a dope) if they were even somewhat feasible to find and import.

The look-like-something-else kits seem to be mostly limited to kei vans that are outside of legal import for the USA. As of right now the VW ones are starting to become more common as late 1993 was when they start showing up.

I've never seen a Citroen body one at auction ever, just being shared as a picture.

Not knowing you or your friend or his business, but is it critical that it's a Citroen/French? Any kei van is going to stand out in the general public, just like any kei truck or anything else 'kei'. Most people would probably be just as taken with a bog-standard Suzuki Carry as they would a Citroen-looking Carry.

SPEAKING OF CARRYS L@@K:

Auction Sheet posted:

90536- 5mt, ac, seats worn, wheels and mirrors scratched, small chips in windshield, interior dirty scratches and torn, cargo area dents scratches surface rust, undercarriage surface rust and corrosion, ceiling liner loose, front grill cracked, other dents scratches paint faded

Inspector posted:

-90536- engine starts idles and revs fine, no smoke or vibrations, no sludge, coolant color and level ok, front cover area slightly oily but not dripping, tires are worn and cracked, spare ok, surface rust on bed area but ok, undercarriage surface rust only no flaking or holes, boots ok, body as is in diagram and ok, chips in windshield small, driver's seat slightly sunk and 5cm tear on side, passenger seat ok, dashboard ok, ceiling liner slightly loose around edges, no burns, ac ok, clutch ok, gears ok, check lamps ok, 4wd ok, lights ok, wipers ok

Paid a wee bit more for this one considering their normal cost (I paid $1300 vs. the 800~ range) but for my around-500 extra I get a mint condition Suzuki Carry kei truck, 4WD, AC, 5 speed with 47,703 kms or right at 30,000 miles. No dings, no gouges, just a few scratches and a 3.5 B grade from an AA house. Will, like most of them, need tires :toot:
Kei trucks are kinda boring compared to AZ-1s but they sure are cheap, the reactions I've got to the Bongo are huge so I'll get a couple of them in (along with that 82 Acty) and see how they are. This Carry would look pretty sick with our dealership logos all over it done in a 90s graphics style, the blue and aqua '4WD' on the front and back already allude to more visuals on the sides. Sell the Bongo which is truly too much truck for us (lol) and use this instead for my tire runs.

KakerMix fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Dec 22, 2018

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Would ones in fancy colours not sell better than white or is it just a case of any kei truck being unique enough it doesn't matter?

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

cakesmith handyman posted:

Would ones in fancy colours not sell better than white or is it just a case of any kei truck being unique enough it doesn't matter?

Perhaps. The Bongo is more useful in that it's just a weird small truck not unlike a USDM S-10 or Ranger. Can do high speeds, has AC, is larger, etc. Kei trucks are speed limited, tiny tiny tiny, and usually lack things like AC. It just feels like the Bongo is so cool and weird with what it looks like that its looks can sell it, where a bog-standard white kei truck can stand out but competes with people putting it to work for actual business. Personally I already like the utility of a small truck with fold down sides but could make do with a kei truck. I think the Bongo is an easier sell to some sort of Mazda enthusiast or the like.

Our Bongo is unique since most of the other Bongo/Vanette/LiteAce trucks are all white and are treated like up-sized kei trucks where as this one was done up in Japanese safety colors.

KakerMix fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Dec 22, 2018

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

Kaker if I am not horribly mistaken, we can put 165/60r13s on our az-1 and having a slightly overwide tire on our rims shouldn't be a super horrible mistake right?

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

wargames posted:

Kaker if I am not horribly mistaken, we can put 165/60r13s on our az-1 and having a slightly overwide tire on our rims shouldn't be a super horrible mistake right?

I just looked up what I put on mine and it was a set of these:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B015J2UMX8/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
lovely tires but can't beat that price.

175/60/R13, they fit just fine but did rub on the left inner fender full-lock to the left I believe. No other rubbing anywhere no matter how bumpy or lean-y I went.

Someone long ago linked this site and it's been super helpful finding tires that work

https://tiresize.com/calculator/

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

I was more worried about tires fitting the rims then the wheel wells. I think the radar tires might work out best but i have never heard of radar or federal before.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/4-Federal-...b4NXZ:rk:1:pf:0

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Federal-SS-657-All-Season-Tire-155-65R13-73T/197331816

https://www.discountedwheelwarehouse.com/Tires/details?pt=Radar+Tires+RPX800+165/60R15+81H&partno=RD-RSC0257

a chart that is good?

https://www.automobile-catalog.com/tire/1992/1641695/autozam_az-1.html

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

I had the tape version of that deck.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

dubzee posted:

Kaker, you can do an antenna bypass with something like this

Also that Delica owns!

https://puu.sh/Cnzd5/ad8429f41b.mp4

:hellyeah:

That bypass thing works perfectly and sounds great. Installation was easy once I watched some dude on youtube install it, and tore out the headunit(s) from the Rugger to see what was what. The plus side is besides a splice for 12v power everything is untouched. I still have the antennae attached too just in case I want to hear that one single classical station I get. A subwoofer would be a nice addition still.

KakerMix posted:

This one does have the front bullbar with foglights along with an oil leak to take care of, so that will be a new experience to document in the thread.

Oil leak gamble paid off, $229 bucks total. Engine steam cleaning, new valve cover gasket and 'semi-circular' gasket. I'm guessing the circular gasket is the rear main seal but since this is cab-over it's way easy to access?

EDIT or it might be a cam seal?

KakerMix fucked around with this message at 09:08 on Dec 27, 2018

dubzee
Oct 23, 2008

Blinky lights! 🤩

Bazooka makes a sub with line level inputs (doo eeet)

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_204BTA10FH/Bazooka-BTA10100FHC.html

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

KakerMix posted:

https://puu.sh/Cnzd5/ad8429f41b.mp4

:hellyeah:

That bypass thing works perfectly and sounds great. Installation was easy once I watched some dude on youtube install it, and tore out the headunit(s) from the Rugger to see what was what. The plus side is besides a splice for 12v power everything is untouched. I still have the antennae attached too just in case I want to hear that one single classical station I get. A subwoofer would be a nice addition still.

Cool! I like high-tech stuff, but sometimes the old high-tech is cooler.
If my '79 RX-7 used the later, much cooler, 3-DIN stack, I'd probably make that work with aux-in/BT, but it doesn't, and I never even had the original '79 radio. I've modified it for single DIN and aftermarket gauges years ago. I could probably make the '84-5 stereo fit without the gauges, but then I'd have no fewer gauges.
Maybe I can find an '80s Alpine or Blaupunkt somewhere. I already have a '90s one.

quote:

Oil leak gamble paid off, $229 bucks total. Engine steam cleaning, new valve cover gasket and 'semi-circular' gasket. I'm guessing the circular gasket is the rear main seal but since this is cab-over it's way easy to access?

EDIT or it might be a cam seal?

Probably the cam seal.

edit: I just remembered I have an old-school Sony shafted deck, and a '90s JVC that uses the cartridge for CDs, too. Hmmmm....

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

There’s a semi circle plug on the back of the heads in the cam tunnel bore for manufacturing, it’s normally held in with RTV but I’ve seen them go bad and leak from there before. Normally a TOTAL dick to get too as well cos of the firewall

Risky
May 18, 2003

Why are there no cars up for auction on the site anymore? Japanese holiday?

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen

Risky posted:

Apparently 2&3 Jan are bank holidays.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Risky posted:

New Years there is like our Christmas here in that it's more than just the single day, goes all the way till the 4th or so I've heard and read.
Everything shuts down.

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Common misconception that; that fun is relaxing. If it is, you're not doing it right.
Pretty much - it's heavily discouraged to take annual leave outside the 'right' times* so as a result pretty much everybody does when they get a chance.

*Christmas-NY period (Emperor's birthday is kinda of the stand-in for Xmas)
Golden Week in late April/Early May
Silver Week in September, sometimes (depends what days of the week certain holidays fall on that year, can amount to a mini-Golden Week if you're lucky)

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Ferremit posted:

There’s a semi circle plug on the back of the heads in the cam tunnel bore for manufacturing, it’s normally held in with RTV but I’ve seen them go bad and leak from there before. Normally a TOTAL dick to get too as well cos of the firewall

I can imagine, I was super stoked when the price came back. I'm spending more on getting new tires on that 82 Acty.

Finally have our website up:

https://limerencemotors.com/

It sure is a bitch retroactively creating ads for cars I've already sold so they show up on the site.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

No auctions for two weeks has been boring. Once I see my tax situation this month I’m going to start having inspections done should I see anything I want.
My boss recently has grown an interest in cars and bought a nice/very clean FJ40. I told him about my ambitions of importing an RHD Kei car. He had no idea what a Kei car was so I plopped up some GIS pics and showed him popular models and he was blown away. After telling him the 2 minute version of the auction/import process (he being unfamiliar with the 25 year law) he was like ‘why wouldn’t you do this? You could probably even make a few bucks!’ I showed him some of Kaker’s Jimnys and he thought those were sweet. Then I showed him some AZ-1 pics and that was it. He was like ‘how much for those?’ And I said if you wanted a super clean one landed cost anywhere from 12-15k. He was like ‘that rules’.

I texted him a link to your IG profile Kaker and a short while later he texted back and said ‘I’ll do this if you get one too’. :getin: I manage our work page that is DDM, I’ve commented on some of your posts

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Santa Alpha, Fox One... Gifts Incoming ~~~>===|>

Soiled Meat

KakerMix posted:

I can imagine, I was super stoked when the price came back. I'm spending more on getting new tires on that 82 Acty.

It sure is a bitch retroactively creating ads for cars I've already sold so they show up on the site.

site looks real nice, you've done a good job with it.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
Majesta goes up for sale Monday

Only registered members can see post attachments!

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
Today as I was sitting in the Rugger waiting there were two dudes walking behind the truck talking and I only caught one bit: "I think it's a janky Range Rover". I'm pretty sure they were talking about the Rugger which owns, there are some people out there that truly dislike anything different, even if the Rugger really isn't all that different like the AZ-1 or Bongo. Or they could have been talking about something else but the timing is pretty suspect :thunk:

Somewhat Heroic posted:

No auctions for two weeks has been boring. Once I see my tax situation this month I’m going to start having inspections done should I see anything I want.
My boss recently has grown an interest in cars and bought a nice/very clean FJ40. I told him about my ambitions of importing an RHD Kei car. He had no idea what a Kei car was so I plopped up some GIS pics and showed him popular models and he was blown away. After telling him the 2 minute version of the auction/import process (he being unfamiliar with the 25 year law) he was like ‘why wouldn’t you do this? You could probably even make a few bucks!’ I showed him some of Kaker’s Jimnys and he thought those were sweet. Then I showed him some AZ-1 pics and that was it. He was like ‘how much for those?’ And I said if you wanted a super clean one landed cost anywhere from 12-15k. He was like ‘that rules’.

I texted him a link to your IG profile Kaker and a short while later he texted back and said ‘I’ll do this if you get one too’. :getin: I manage our work page that is DDM, I’ve commented on some of your posts

I did notice that account talking about the Rugger like there was something more than just 'woah neat'.

slothrop posted:

site looks real nice, you've done a good job with it.

Thank you much!

everdave posted:

Majesta goes up for sale Monday

Hell yeah, finally snagged the title?

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
Yep, Landcruiser only took a week or 2. Will get that one ready after Majesta gone then I’m just buying more cruisers. Or maybe a Supra. Or NSX

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Common misconception that; that fun is relaxing. If it is, you're not doing it right.

KakerMix posted:

That's a great site, Kaker!

If you'd like some suggestions/feedback:

-A FAQ page would be a really useful. Answer stuff like: are these street legal, what does 'kei' mean/how are they to drive, how hard is it to drive with the steering wheel on the wrong side, will I be able to get parts/find a mechanic who can work on this, can you get me something specific if you don't have it in stock, do you do motorcycles, do you do stuff from countries besides Japan, what type of condition are your vehicles in, can you arrange delivery to my state, when can I arrange to see a vehicle I'm interested in, etc. This can also help a bit with SEO.
-You might consider adding a blog - also assists with SEO, helps build a brand identity/connection with the customer, and can keep people's attention who maybe stopped by but didn't see what they were looking for the first time.
-I'd also consider a YouTube channel at some point if you are up for it: creating compelling video content is a lot of time and effort but it could really drive traffic from enthusiasts looking for videos of your cars and then finding out they can purchase one. You might see if there are any automotive vloggers local to you who'd want to partner up - they'd probably be happy to have access to all those rare JDM beauties, and it'd save you a lot of the hassle of creating the videos yourself.
-I'd recommend moving the sold ones to a separate page in the future -- I think it's OK to have them there now because you're starting out, I feel disappointed when I see all the cool stuff I missed in the same place as stuff I could potentially buy. It's a niche market so I think the vast majority of customers will be interested enough to click through a separate "sold" page out of curiousity, and not potentially leave with that feeling of disappointment.

Photos:
-A photo of you (possibly with wife since you mention her) on your 'About' page is important - you've got a great personal story there and a photo really helps tie that together and build a connection with the viewer.
-Quality of your photos is consistently good and you have lots of them showing just about every conceivable part of the vehicles: I feel like I know enough about the vehicle's cosmetic condition to not need to see it in person.
-I would, however, try to avoid the car port photos just so it looks more like a business and less like a hobby. If there's a decent-looking and well-lit area of your warehouse you could do shoots in, that would help in creating a unified, 'commericial' feel to it.
-Doing them out front could also work, but it does potentially expose the location of your stock to potential thieves (you do have a lot of nice 4WDs that would tempt unscrupulous hicks looking for an offroad mudding rig - I've seen way too many lifted, clapped out Samurai's). This is maybe overly paranoid but Florida is full of Floridians, after all.
-I absolutely *love* the shot of the '89 Jimny parked near the shoreline. If it's feasible, have a similar hero shot of each car that shows off its 'personality' and helps the customer really visualise themselves in it, enjoying the vehicle. For a boutique, niche market I think this kind of thing will really help you grab customer attention and generate interest.

I am by no means an expert so take all of this with a grain of salt, just someone with some background knowledge in the photography industry, and have been listening to a lot of Side Hustle School lately. Would definitely recommend the podcast for you, most of the people they profile aren't doing anything like this but the host is really good at picking out the universal lessons/advice from each story.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Ethics_Gradient posted:

That's a great site, Kaker!

If you'd like some suggestions/feedback:

-A FAQ page would be a really useful. Answer stuff like: are these street legal, what does 'kei' mean/how are they to drive, how hard is it to drive with the steering wheel on the wrong side, will I be able to get parts/find a mechanic who can work on this, can you get me something specific if you don't have it in stock, do you do motorcycles, do you do stuff from countries besides Japan, what type of condition are your vehicles in, can you arrange delivery to my state, when can I arrange to see a vehicle I'm interested in, etc. This can also help a bit with SEO.
-You might consider adding a blog - also assists with SEO, helps build a brand identity/connection with the customer, and can keep people's attention who maybe stopped by but didn't see what they were looking for the first time.
-I'd also consider a YouTube channel at some point if you are up for it: creating compelling video content is a lot of time and effort but it could really drive traffic from enthusiasts looking for videos of your cars and then finding out they can purchase one. You might see if there are any automotive vloggers local to you who'd want to partner up - they'd probably be happy to have access to all those rare JDM beauties, and it'd save you a lot of the hassle of creating the videos yourself.
-I'd recommend moving the sold ones to a separate page in the future -- I think it's OK to have them there now because you're starting out, I feel disappointed when I see all the cool stuff I missed in the same place as stuff I could potentially buy. It's a niche market so I think the vast majority of customers will be interested enough to click through a separate "sold" page out of curiousity, and not potentially leave with that feeling of disappointment.

Photos:
-A photo of you (possibly with wife since you mention her) on your 'About' page is important - you've got a great personal story there and a photo really helps tie that together and build a connection with the viewer.
-Quality of your photos is consistently good and you have lots of them showing just about every conceivable part of the vehicles: I feel like I know enough about the vehicle's cosmetic condition to not need to see it in person.
-I would, however, try to avoid the car port photos just so it looks more like a business and less like a hobby. If there's a decent-looking and well-lit area of your warehouse you could do shoots in, that would help in creating a unified, 'commericial' feel to it.
-Doing them out front could also work, but it does potentially expose the location of your stock to potential thieves (you do have a lot of nice 4WDs that would tempt unscrupulous hicks looking for an offroad mudding rig - I've seen way too many lifted, clapped out Samurai's). This is maybe overly paranoid but Florida is full of Floridians, after all.
-I absolutely *love* the shot of the '89 Jimny parked near the shoreline. If it's feasible, have a similar hero shot of each car that shows off its 'personality' and helps the customer really visualise themselves in it, enjoying the vehicle. For a boutique, niche market I think this kind of thing will really help you grab customer attention and generate interest.

I am by no means an expert so take all of this with a grain of salt, just someone with some background knowledge in the photography industry, and have been listening to a lot of Side Hustle School lately. Would definitely recommend the podcast for you, most of the people they profile aren't doing anything like this but the host is really good at picking out the universal lessons/advice from each story.

Genuinely appreciate the suggestions and advice, thank you.

I think your right with the FAQ and blog, the FAQ for obvious reasons and the blog because I essentially ~blog~ here anyway, and double posting it seems like a no-brainer. I do have a youtube playlist here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T8un4IS_UKY though it's on my OG channel from when I was heavy into my other business, Minecraft modding ( :v: ). I've thought about moving that content to a separate channel but a combo of laziness and subscribers I might have gained, but all that poo poo is chaos so I probably shouldn't be too worried. Eventually the sold listings should go to their own page yeah but right now I'm back-filling cars we've already sold to show what we've had and what we can get. We cribbed the initial design from Japanese Classics where they simply have one singular list with the vehicles listed in order, sold ones going behind those in order of being sold.

Photos:
You're right on the photo of my wife and I, though I kinda loathe the idea. We'll do it though, I'll get over it.
The carport photos do have the hobby-type nature about it though it's consistency in quality with the overhead shade makes it easy to use. Our warehouse is too small to make room for pictures, plus the lighting sucks. Depending on how this works out we're going to need a larger one sooner rather than later:

It has the blue Jimny and Prado in it now and the picture is taken from the garage door. I feel like, right now, the carport works well to show the cars themselves, using a 'hero' shot as the initial picture is about as good as I can get it right now. I could also try doing it right when we lose the sun in our backyard though that is still going to show it more of a hobby, at least it's paved. I don't worry too much about rednecks, half of them can't drive stick and the rest are terrified of sitting on the right side of the car. Plus if someone DID want to steal one well, that's what insurance is for. Besides they are all locked up at the warehouse :)

Like I said though, genuinely appreciate the advice. The blog and FAQ is easy, I still have to back-fill previously sold cars, and then I can worry about the picture stuff.

SquirrelGrip
Jul 4, 2012
powervehicles have been out shopping again and have a bunch of cars for sale (and can help with transport/import etc) with more coming up soon.

anyone want a 2jz swapped 500sl with a Getrag 6sp?

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009
Website looks awesome, this has been one of my favorite threads to follow over the past year. If I wasn't preparing to move out of the country I would have totally bought something by now.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
Nice website and tons of high quality pictures. Fills the potential buyer with confidence. Many of the smaller dealers in my area find some decent looking building and use it as a backdrop to get consistent and good looking pictures. It can work both ways as on one hand it makes them look more professional, but on the other hand you get kinda "Oh" when you arrive and get how it really is.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

Here are a couple of cream puffs, the white one looks pretty cool

This one has some pretty sweet decals on the side.

Kaker, having owned both is the penalty of "speed" really atrocious for the 550cc Jimny over the 660? Your bubble top roofed light blue one is the best.

Electric Pigeon
Aug 14, 2008

KakerMix posted:

Nice site, especially the banner pic, and most of all the name.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Riller
Jun 16, 2008
So last week on Friday I was finally able to get our county inspector from the DMV's License & Theft Bureau to come out and verify the VIN and paperwork on the Pajero. Since it was raining I figured I'd try to make this guy's life easier and pulled it under our carport so he could stay dry while he did what he needed to do. The way this guy was acting though you'd have though that I made him drive 3 hours (we live 2 miles from his office) in the middle of the night on his day off. I've never seen anyone loathe their job the way this guy did, and he was really skeptical that it was going to get titled and seemed annoyed that I had to import something from Japan ("Why did you want this?") that was way out of the norm for him. He carried on about it not having an EPA or Federal Safety Standards sticker, about how I'd probably have to replace the odometer and speedometer to something in MPH, etc. He finally gave me the paperwork and less than 2 hours later I was walking out of the DMV with tag in hand. :getin:

Anyway, the Pajero, or "PJ" as my wife named it got a new set of BF Goodrich KO2 tires, new oil and fuel filters, Royal Purple 10W-30, and I installed a new rocker cover gasket with the "half moon" or semi-circle gasket pieces that you guys were talking about earlier. It was really easy to replace on the Pajero. The most time-consuming part was taking the intercooler off to get it out of the way and waiting for the little strip of Permatex to cure after I put it back together. I still have about a dozen bottles of GL-5 to replace all the old oil in the transmission, differentials, and transfer case, and also need to do a coolant flush.

In all, it's a blast to finally get to drive this thing (legally) and I'm still getting used to 1) driving a manual transmission again 2) shifting with my left hand and 3) hugging the far right side of the road.

Digital automatic climate control! It's hard to see but the 5 buttons on the top left are for all the different vent options.

I keep finding more washer fluid containers (three in all!) and this neat tool kit in the rear door.

The parcel tray in the rear has a small portable adjustable work light. I thought the door was where the batteries go, but nope it's got six feet of cord crammed in there so you can plug it into the front or rear outlets.

Said gasket set. The old one was crumbling when I pulled it out of the groove in the cover, and the round ones that go beneath the bolts were like rocks. The half-moons were tight near the back firewall, but manageable.