Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

:fuckoff: I hate disingenuous bullshit straw man memes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

They’re so worried about people being gender less cause it effects them somehow I guess :shrug:

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I'm the electrical circuitry that can actually be joined male/male female/female.

a fatguy baldspot
Aug 29, 2018

OwlFancier posted:

I'm the electrical circuitry that can actually be joined male/male female/female.

That was my first thought

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

One assumes that the other guy got annoyed and just set fire to the power plant.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Oh man wait until the religious right finds out about gender changers being sold in every electrical supply store

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

OwlFancier posted:

One assumes that the other guy got annoyed and just set fire to the power plant.

Yeah, there's really no way to read that other than Engineer 1 being a condescending douche to Engineer 2 so she goes off on him sarcastically and he handles that exactly as well as you'd expect.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

:thunk: the gently caress?

TerminalSaint
Apr 21, 2007

Where must we go...

we who wander this Wasteland in search of our better selves?

ratbert90 posted:

Boomers polluted so much that rivers caught on fire lol.

CuddleCryptid posted:

Someone remind me who hair sprayed a hole in the ozone layer

The downside of the success of big environmental efforts past, like the Clean Air and Water Acts, and banning CFCs, is climate change deniers looking back and remembering dire warnings of disasters that didn't come to pass. They assume that things worked out ok because those crazy environmentalists just made a big deal out of nothing, not because we took steps to correct the problems.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

TerminalSaint posted:

The downside of the success of big environmental efforts past, like the Clean Air and Water Acts, and banning CFCs, is climate change deniers looking back and remembering dire warnings of disasters that didn't come to pass. They assume that things worked out ok because those crazy environmentalists just made a big deal out of nothing, not because we took steps to correct the problems.

Reminds me of an episode of It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia from a year or two ago.
Charlie spends all episode moving heaven and Earth so the bar can pass a health inspection, making a big deal about everything needing to be done a certain way, they pass, and the rest of the gang is like "Wow, way to freak out over nothing. That went fine for us"

xergm
Sep 8, 2009

The Moon is for Sissies!

OwlFancier posted:

Anderson Powerpole connectors are designed to be genderless entirely.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Just pour it directly into your gaping mouth-hole you decadent slut

TerminalSaint posted:

The same thing happens with anti-vaxxers. "They made us all get flu shots, and then there was no flu epidemic after all. I guess it was just a big freak-out over nothing!"

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Jurgan posted:

The same thing happens with anti-vaxxers. "They made us all get flu shots, and then there was no flu epidemic after all. I guess it was just a big freak-out over nothing!"

Throw "what did unions ever do for me" people on that pile

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Just pour it directly into your gaping mouth-hole you decadent slut

CuddleCryptid posted:

Ruth Bader Ginsburg posted:

Instead, the Court strikes [Section]4(b)'s coverage provision because, in its view, the provision is not based on "current conditions." Ante, at 17. It discounts, however, that one such condition was the preclearance remedy in place in the covered jurisdictions, a remedy Congress designed both to catch discrimination before it causes harm, and to guard against return to old ways. [...]
Throwing out preclearance when it has worked and is continuing to work to stop discriminatory changes is like throwing away your umbrella in a rainstorm because you are not getting wet.

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018

Pissy Bitch stan

Jurgan posted:

CuddleCryptid posted:

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

I identify as a transsister.

Also if one "wrong" connection sets the power plant on fire, maybe we should change how we build them. :thunk: :foucault:

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS

CuddleCryptid posted:

And Y2K as well, when nothing happened despite the freakout. (Because developers put in about a billion hours fixing things before they became a problem.)

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

I literally have 20 of those in a bag in my drawer next to me. They work great.

Soviet Commubot
Oct 22, 2008

I've seen this posted unironically like 5 times today already, I really wish I could believe that nobody out there honestly thinks Donald Trump is playing 4 dimensional chess but here we are.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
And americans definitely don’t complain about the loss of all these consumer goods, and the businesses that export to Mexico are fine.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!
A couple of weeks of the US government making GBS threads itself will surely cause the entirety of Mexico to crumble.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

It's great when people say 'shut the border' like that's a thing that can be simply done. There are 330 ports of entry between the US and Mexico, and it is the most heavily trafficked border in the world. 350 million documented crossing annually, and critical to both countries. The border has never been closed, there is probably no real procedure or plan in place to accomplish such a thing. There are millions of people that cross the border daily because they work on one side and live on the other, and you'd have to work out what to do about all those people. If a US citizen lives in Mexico and comes in to work daily, are you going to refuse them entry at the border? If you close the border and a Mexican citizen has been working in the US, are you going to forbid them from leaving?

Assuming you figure out a way to actually do this, Mexico exports fuel to the US and imports agricultural products. I bet all those farmers are going to be excited when their corn market collapses right on the heels of the soybean massacre.

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

And then the Democratic congress says 'Thanks for the 5 billion dollars, Mr. President! We're gonna spend it on infrastructure, education, and gay abortions instead. Bye, sucker!'

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Ashcans posted:

Assuming you figure out a way to actually do this, Mexico exports fuel to the US and imports agricultural products. I bet all those farmers are going to be excited when their corn market collapses right on the heels of the soybean massacre.

"It's fine, trump will just push through more subsidies and... Oh. :("

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Ashcans posted:

It's great when people say 'shut the border' like that's a thing that can be simply done. There are 330 ports of entry between the US and Mexico, and it is the most heavily trafficked border in the world. 350 million documented crossing annually, and critical to both countries. The border has never been closed, there is probably no real procedure or plan in place to accomplish such a thing. There are millions of people that cross the border daily because they work on one side and live on the other, and you'd have to work out what to do about all those people. If a US citizen lives in Mexico and comes in to work daily, are you going to refuse them entry at the border? If you close the border and a Mexican citizen has been working in the US, are you going to forbid them from leaving?

Yeah. So you see. Trump is holding the gun to his head and threatening to shoot everyone with it.

Its explicitly, this will be chaos and I will drag us into it if you dont give me my poo poo.

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018

Pissy Bitch stan

Soviet Commubot posted:

I've seen this posted unironically like 5 times today already, I really wish I could believe that nobody out there honestly thinks Donald Trump is playing 4 dimensional chess but here we are.

...sorry but isn't that exactly what's happening to the US under trump's trade war?

It specifically mentions food rotting and I'm pretty sure we haven't sold a single soy bean to China, normally the largest buyer.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

And none of this is even getting into the fact that it's just nakedly using the military to extort money out of a sovereign nation like loving Attila the Hun.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

AnoHito posted:

And none of this is even getting into the fact that it's just nakedly using the military to extort money out of a sovereign nation like loving Attila the Hun.

“I have a great relationship with the roman people.”-Attila the Don

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

AnoHito posted:

I think a very sizable portion of the US public not only would be completely in favor of this, but continues to be upset because US foreign policy isn't naked enough about the extortion.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

AnoHito posted:

That is generally what you have a military for. Especially one the size of the US's.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Ashcans posted:

I bet all those farmers are going to be excited when their corn market collapses right on the heels of the soybean massacre.

To be honest, these farmers will probably welcome and applaud it.
They are already quoted saying they approved of what Trump did with tariffs AFTER they lost money.
Some will say its good that there's no illegal workers now, while staring out on their own fields that are wasting away.

happyhippy fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Jan 4, 2019

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

InsertPotPun posted:

...sorry but isn't that exactly what's happening to the US under trump's trade war?

It specifically mentions food rotting and I'm pretty sure we haven't sold a single soy bean to China, normally the largest buyer.

And on top of that, China didn't seem to have too much difficulty in just finding a new soybean supplier.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Like when the CSA embargoed cotton.

ZDar Fan
Oct 15, 2012

This is a year old, but it was new to me

Cicadalek
May 8, 2006

Trite, contrived, mediocre, milquetoast, amateurish, infantile, cliche-and-gonorrhea-ridden paean to conformism, eye-fucked me, affront to humanity, war crime, should *literally* be tried for war crimes, talentless fuckfest, pedantic, listless, savagely boring, just one repulsive laugh after another
Would be fun to replace the confederate statue with a statue of Saddam

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Galaxy brain: maybe the statue was always offensive and current events have created environments where people want to speak out against it

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Who gets offended by an rear end anyway?

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Orange Devil posted:

Who gets offended by an rear end anyway?

People who are extremely sure about their heterosexual masculinity

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Galaxy brain: maybe the statue was always offensive and current events have created environments where people want to speak out against it
That's kinda just dodging the question; current events have created environments where people can speak out against offensive statues, without the expectation that they will then be murdered for hating the South and its glorious legacy.