Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

MrSargent posted:

Do you know what year the Squier Jazzmasters started getting solid again? I am in the market for a Fender Jazz Bass and have been looking at a second-hand Standard (MIM). But if a Squier Jazz Bass is that good, I could save quite a bit going that route. I should probably go over to Guitar Center this week and play them.

The Squier VM70s Jazz Bass I mentioned above is about 4 years old I think. I bought it straight from Amazon. It’s so good I sold a US made bass worth 5x more than the j. It has a nice unfinished super smooth neck and fretboard, solid hardware that hasn’t given me a single issue, nice versatile pickups.

I’m picky as gently caress too. Like I don’t require $10,000 worth of gear just to practice but I’m very detail oriented and expect a lot out of my gear. If I have to fight with an instrument or pedal or amp for it to work for me then I sell it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Mister Speaker posted:

Nice! Echoing MrSargent here, definitely follow up in the DJ thread when you play around with these a bit. I was thinking about pulling the trigger on a pair of the SC5000s earlier this month but I heard conflicting answers to "will they Link with the Pioneer gear?" I'm so used to the CDJ layout (even if Rekordbox can suck both of my dicks) that I just ended up grabbing another pair of 2000s. I would still absolutely switch though if these things turn out to be great.

As for me, I copped a LOT of gear this season, due to an unexpected windfall (a life insurance payout from a close relative). I'll post pics of everything here once it's all arrived and set up. Stay tuned, or don't.

I'll be sure to :justpost: once the gear comes in.
The one SC5000 and the x1800 should be delivered sometime after the 6th.
The second SC5000 is currently on backorder so I will have to wait until February it looks like.

MrSargent posted:

The MPC is definitely the most popular hardware sampler and its really easy to sample from a turntable. You mentioned you have issues with menu-diving so one of the newer MPC's (like the MPC Live you mentioned) is probably going to be your best bet. Older MPC's like the 2500 have a great sound, but basically rely on a Custom OS called JJOS to make huge improvements to the workflow. If mobility is a need, the MPC Live is definitely a good option as most of the other models can have a pretty huge footprint. I think you'd be hard-pressed to find a better hardware sampler than the MPC.
Do we have a sampler/sequencer thread? There's a DJ thread and a synth thread, but nothing in between.

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Shugojin posted:

The Squiers being good is a relatively recent thing and as far as I know it's mostly the Classic Vibe line.

I bought a bullet strat (made in China) about 5 years ago and it is real decent for just over $100

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Sometimes, there's a man, well, he's the man for his time and place. He fits right in there. And that's Jimmy T.

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

I'll be sure to :justpost: once the gear comes in.
The one SC5000 and the x1800 should be delivered sometime after the 6th.
The second SC5000 is currently on backorder so I will have to wait until February it looks like.

Do we have a sampler/sequencer thread? There's a DJ thread and a synth thread, but nothing in between.

We don't have a sampling thread, which bums me out but I don't know if it would get enough traffic? I'd offer to make an OP if there was enough interest.

Kilometers Davis posted:

The Squier VM70s Jazz Bass I mentioned above is about 4 years old I think. I bought it straight from Amazon. It’s so good I sold a US made bass worth 5x more than the j. It has a nice unfinished super smooth neck and fretboard, solid hardware that hasn’t given me a single issue, nice versatile pickups.

I’m picky as gently caress too. Like I don’t require $10,000 worth of gear just to practice but I’m very detail oriented and expect a lot out of my gear. If I have to fight with an instrument or pedal or amp for it to work for me then I sell it.

Thanks a lot! I'm going to see if I can demo one at Guitar Center this weekend, but will definitely be keeping an eye out for that model on Craigslist and FB.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

In Pasadena by chance?

https://www.guitarcenter.com/Used/Squier/Jazz-Bass-Electric-Bass-Guitar-114787978.gc

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Sometimes, there's a man, well, he's the man for his time and place. He fits right in there. And that's Jimmy T.
Unfortunately no. I'm near Sacramento, CA and there are a couple GC's nearby so my plan was to call them up to check first. I can always demo a new one if they don't have a used in stock, but I think I will hold out for a second-hand one.

MrSargent fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Dec 28, 2018

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Rescued from a dumpster.

The headstock was snapped off

I was able to glue it back together no problem.
I cut a nut from a piece of corian I had laying around and restrung it.
The repair seems to be holding just fine.
It's a cheap guitar but I hate to see stuff wasted like that.

E: timg'd it I'm app posting didn't realize they were huge size

Thumposaurus fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Dec 30, 2018

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

^^Might want to resize that or at least timg it^^

I went down to Guitar Center and my buddy hooked me up with a friends and family discount on a Squier Vintage Modified Jazz Bass. After trading in an old piece of gear I haven't sold elsewhere and using a gift card, it cost me $56 out the door. My buddy threw in a new set of strings for free as well. I just restrung it and tested it out in Ableton and I am really impressed. Managed to snap a quick picture, the "natural" finish will match my Strat, but with a different pickguard. Going to have a lot of fun with this guy.

Edit: Thanks to everyone who gave me recommendations, especially those who recommended this bass. I've only just started testing it out but I'm already impressed.

MrSargent fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Dec 30, 2018

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

$56? that's a HELL of a deal

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

MrSargent posted:

^^Might want to resize that or at least timg it^^

I went down to Guitar Center and my buddy hooked me up with a friends and family discount on a Squier Vintage Modified Jazz Bass. After trading in an old piece of gear I haven't sold elsewhere and using a gift card, it cost me $56 out the door. My buddy threw in a new set of strings for free as well. I just restrung it and tested it out in Ableton and I am really impressed. Managed to snap a quick picture, the "natural" finish will match my Strat, but with a different pickguard. Going to have a lot of fun with this guy.

Oh poo poo you did it!

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Shugojin posted:

$56? that's a HELL of a deal

Well, that was $56 after the trade-in value on my old gear and $50 gift card I used. Still, felt really great haha since the old gear was collecting dust. Probably should look at throwing some quarter pounders on it in the future but the tone out of the box (plus new strings) is pretty great already.

MrSargent fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Dec 30, 2018

Juaguocio
Jun 5, 2005

Oh, David...

After playing around with my friend's Diamond Bass Comp at a jam, I knew I had to get one, and luckily enough Diamond just released the mini version earlier this year. Long and Mcquade had them in stock, so I went on Boxing Day to pick one up. Lo and behold, there on the bargain rack sat this lonely SolidgoldFX Superdrive, without a box and covered in dust. It seems to be the recent Custom Shop reissue, and under the dust it proved to be in great condition! It's a nice overdrive for bass, with plenty of low end. It gets kind of harsh and crackly at higher gain settings, but I find I really like it at lower gain, stacked with other pedals.

Speaking of stacking pedals, the Diamond is one of those magic boxes that makes everything sound better, so I can't wait to try it with all my other stuff. I've already found that it smooths out the highs of the Superdrive very nicely when placed after it in the chain.

There were some great deals to be had in that bargain section. I almost bought a boxed Cioks DC8, because the price was just that good, but I have all the power I need right now. There was a loose Boss ES-8 for a very good price as well.

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Jammed around on the bass a ton yesterday and I love it. But my fingers are loving sore as hell, lol. Gotta build that finger strength up for bass strings.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

fuctifino posted:

I couldn't sleep. I ended up taking out a 3 year credit agreement for a Linnstrument 128. Not sleeping is good for music, or something... They say shipping in about a week or two, so it should be with me soonish. I genuinely can't wait.

I cancelled this order this morning... :(

And decided to pay the difference and order the large model instead :)

Thank you unexpected Xmas time money!

fuctifino fucked around with this message at 14:27 on Jan 2, 2019

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

fuctifino posted:

:black101:

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

fuctifino posted:

oh gently caress yes. I've already seen a bunch of youtube vids about this but I would still really appreciate if you posted your opinions on it when it arrives.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

Quite. I'm going balls in... wish me luck.

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

oh gently caress yes. I've already seen a bunch of youtube vids about this but I would still really appreciate if you posted your opinions on it when it arrives.

Beware. The more youtube vids you watch, the more you'll end up wanting one, then before you know it, you are filling in an online credit application in the early hours of the morning.
Then you double down. Because why the gently caress not?

I'll be sure to post about my experiences and opinions in the synth or vst thread when I get to grips with it.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
Are you coming from a guitar background by chance? I'm curious to see how this plays. Most of my guitar playing is noodling around going between scales with slurs and this thing looks like it would amazing for that. The amount of zen half naked dudes playing these things seems to speak to that a little.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

Philthy posted:

Are you coming from a guitar background by chance? I'm curious to see how this plays. Most of my guitar playing is noodling around going between scales with slurs and this thing looks like it would amazing for that. The amount of zen half naked dudes playing these things seems to speak to that a little.

I was trained on the violin from 6-16, and that was my main instrument til my mid 30's. I was also taught piano, and keys have been my main instrument since I fell ill, though I've also recently picked up guitar, ukes and bass for the first time.

The Linnstrument seems to be ideal regardless of your background. It looks very intuitive, and Roger has said that most people adapt to it very quickly. It's easier to play than the piano for instance.... On a keyboard, you have to learn 12 fingerings for a scale depending on the root note. On the Linnstrument, you only need to learn one.

The thing that I'm most looking forward to are the polyphonic slides and vibratos from one note to the next. I genuinely can't wait...

Schlieren
Jan 7, 2005

LEZZZZZZZZZBIAN CRUSH

fuctifino posted:

Nice.

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

Came in the biggest god drat case I've ever seen.

Schecter Jeff Loomis JLV-7 NT. Don't see these often.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Clayton Bigsby posted:

I’ve low key wanted one of those hardtail loomis guitars for like 13 years, nice!

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Nice score!

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Yo'! Those loving rip!

I haven't taken pictures lately, but I have bought a couple of fun pieces of gear. Be ready for the eventual pic dump!

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Clayton Bigsby posted:

Given that he went to Jackson a bit ago that will probably remain so :v:

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

Shugojin posted:

Given that he went to Jackson a bit ago that will probably remain so :v:

Hehe, yeah. They are not common used though, so happy to have gotten my hands on one.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

Clayton Bigsby posted:

I'm not normally a fan of V guitars, but that is a thing of beauty.

In other news, I purchased another thing. I am now officially broke again.

My PC is a 3rd gen i5 laptop, and it couldn't cope running OBS to record everything as well as plugging in the Leap Motion, and using the new SWAM violin library... so I'm going to connect the audio out of the RC-505 into Q2n, and be able to record every note that I play.

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

I was thinking about recording videos to try and promote my music but really have no idea where to begin when it comes to purchasing a recording device. I'd like something that isn't very expensive, but would rather spend a little extra for something that will last and has good features. I need to be able to record both video and audio in my little home studio and my initial thoughts for a video series would be to record myself making sample-based hip-hop. I'd like to record everything from digging through records, sampling a piece of the record into Ableton, chopping it up/warping it, and then playing the sample back with some drums added in. This would all be edited together to be watchable and would be similar to the Rhythm Roulette series that Mass Appeal has on YouTube. I don't know much about modern recorders, but the ability to take still pictures would be really helpful since I want to use photography more often in my artwork that is associated with my music.

Anyone have recommendations for a video recorder or any resources I should look at?

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

I went for the Zoom Q2n because it has an awesome built in mic, as well as a 160 degree field of view - so it can capture a lot more than most other cameras. It also has a noise free 3.5mm audio in socket, so you can plug it straight into audio equipment, and it can record at 1080p with 24-bit/96 kHz audio in mp4 format.

It's great for me, as I'm able to just hit record, then upload the raw files to youtube. It would also be good enough to extract audio and video to post edit if you have a PC powerful enough for that sort of thing... I did a lot of research to find the best gadget for the least amount of money, and the Q2n really stood out from the crowd.

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

Picked one of these up the other day, just got around to trying it out. Plugged it into the FX loop of my Hughes&Kettner and it works great. Good fun when you just want to jam a bit.

Same dude was selling one of these super cheap (around 150EUR), and I figured it was time to trade up from the Nektar LX61+ I've been using. HUGE difference in feel; the Fatar keys really kick rear end.

Clayton Bigsby fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Jan 7, 2019

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

fuctifino posted:

I went for the Zoom Q2n because it has an awesome built in mic, as well as a 160 degree field of view - so it can capture a lot more than most other cameras. It also has a noise free 3.5mm audio in socket, so you can plug it straight into audio equipment, and it can record at 1080p with 24-bit/96 kHz audio in mp4 format.

It's great for me, as I'm able to just hit record, then upload the raw files to youtube. It would also be good enough to extract audio and video to post edit if you have a PC powerful enough for that sort of thing... I did a lot of research to find the best gadget for the least amount of money, and the Q2n really stood out from the crowd.

I couldn't tell from looking at the feature list and this is probably a dumb question, but can the Q2N take high-res still pictures in addition to recording video?

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

Where did you learn to drive?
I don't think so... It can do audio only, but I don't believe it can do still images with a set interval or anything like that. It's a cheap little gopro with a good mic - if you want still images, just use a gopro.

I've been happy with my Q2n, and they recently released a 4k version which looks pretty good.

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

After doing some more research, it looks like I would want to get a dedicated camera for still shots, especially if I intend to use them for professional work. Most video recorders that have the ability to take stills don't offer much that an iphone camera doesn't already have. The Q2N looks perfect for my video recording needs, so I will probably look into getting that first and then looking into a still-shot camera down the road.

gbs but from 2004
Oct 24, 2004

wow u rude pig

"i STarTed this TOIlEt Of A tHreaD aNd HAve sOmEHOW aVoidEd A red teXt"

A new addition to the studio, the moog grandmother. Sounds amazing, especially when it’s run through the Roland space echo and the built in spring Reverb is a very cool touch

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

That is one sexy synth. If you can, post some recordings of your noodling.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

I ordered a thing! :derp:

gbs but from 2004
Oct 24, 2004

wow u rude pig

"i STarTed this TOIlEt Of A tHreaD aNd HAve sOmEHOW aVoidEd A red teXt"

MrSargent posted:

That is one sexy synth. If you can, post some recordings of your noodling.

Sure, I guess YouTube would be the best place upload it to?[

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

gbs but from 2004 posted:

Sure, I guess YouTube would be the best place upload it to?[

Yah YouTube or SoundCloud would work just fine. Obviously YouTube would be better if there was video attached, but if its just audio , SoundCloud works great.

AstroZamboni
Mar 8, 2007

Smoothing the Ice on Europa since 1997!

Siivola posted:

I ordered a thing! :derp:

Post pics when you get it. CVs are so loving nice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Those ones are super pretty. I'm not so sure about the painted headstock but I like the rest of it.