Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
I've made one that is just an immovable object. Very few damage dealing cards, just a lot of defense, two shields, and a lot of support for that defense. Only problem is that anything with pierce tears me to pieces.

And I like having a drawback.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
Three Spears: My buddy is looking at doing a pacifist summoner build. As a group, we have two or three items that summon a thing and refreshing those items would give us more allies.

Reik
Mar 8, 2004

Some Numbers posted:

Three Spears: My buddy is looking at doing a pacifist summoner build. As a group, we have two or three items that summon a thing and refreshing those items would give us more allies.

Have you guys unlocked item #100? Robes of Summoning

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades

Elephant Ambush posted:

Then my group decided to try scenario 72. We made it 3 turns before giving up and deciding to restart it next week.

Any tips for that scenario? The party is Lightning Bolts, Music Note and Triforce. We're all level 5.

May god have mercy on your souls.

Reik
Mar 8, 2004

Elephant Ambush posted:

I decided to retire Angry Face last night and unlock Lightning Bolts. It's not exactly what I expected but it seems really interesting and fun.

Then my group decided to try scenario 72. We made it 3 turns before giving up and deciding to restart it next week.

Any tips for that scenario? The party is Lightning Bolts, Music Note and Triforce. We're all level 5.

Do you have a cloak of invisibility? Lightning Bolt spoilers: Deploy in one of the 2 right hexes. Turn 1, move 5 with Flurry of Axes to the hex between tree A and the bush, Glass Hammer tree A, and use your cloak to go invisible. Turn 2, drink a minor healing potion, suffer 3 damage to strength of agony to move 7 to tree B and Resolute Stand. Each tree should have 3 x (3+3) = 18 health, and a level 5 Lightning bolt also has 18 health, so each attack should one-shot a tree. May have to power potion the resolute stand in case you pull a +0. Turn 3, use Shiny Distraction's bottom for the initiative (hey, free fire for Triforce!) and From the Brink's top for a full heal, unless you got poisoned by the Giant Viper in the previous round, then play Bounce Back as your bottom to clear the poison before you full heal. You had to play 3 losses in your first rest so you don't have very many turns left, but you knocked out 2 of the trees before they could summon an ooze.

Reik fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Jan 2, 2019

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

Elephant Ambush posted:

I decided to retire Angry Face last night and unlock Lightning Bolts. It's not exactly what I expected but it seems really interesting and fun.

Spoilers, obviously, for the scenario and the three classes: The biggest thing to remember for Oozing Grove is that you should plan on losing cards, either by playing big loss-card combos to get important tasks done or by losing cards to prevent damage. With that group, through, you don't have a lot of cards to spare and you don't have the best spread for splitting up, meaning that you can't effectively engage both halves of the field at once. Your initial objective, then, should be to kill Imps by preference and Snakes when opportunity permits, while setting up on your first tree target (with three, either A or C). The oozes hit hard, but ignore them initially. Aim to kill your first tree before it spawns a second time, and ideally kill the second tree before the second spawn, but Lightning would need to be able to get to it fast to manage that. With that group, you'll need Music Note to switch between the attack boost initially and one of the defensive songs (depending upon level-up choices) for the later part of the scenario when everyone is dinged up. If you don't all have potions to provide Triforce with elements, buy them. Triforce depends a lot on build, but if possible go heavy on the earth-related cards (multi-target and pierce are both useful), even the L1 melee-range card, and don't be afraid to draw fire from another character. You should be able to draw snakes adjacent to trees and hit both with an AoE. Music Note's default attacks are going to be helpful in tree-killing. Personally, I'd wait to go ham with Lightning on the second tree and then assess the situation to see whether it's worth exhausting out before the third. Plan to use all your cards and hp as expendable resources: your goal is to clear the remaining oozes and have one or two characters still standing at low hp and with few cards left. That calls for a shift in style from the norm; in particular, the weaker characters will need to take hits they'd usually avoid.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Reik posted:

Have you guys unlocked item #100? Robes of Summoning

I don't think so.

Vidmaster
Oct 26, 2002

Unlocked Cthulhu face yesterday, this guy seems like he’s a blast at parties. This is definitely going to be a change from the face smashing playstyle of my last two characters. Any advice for build and items at prosperity 3/4?

Telum
Apr 17, 2013

I am protector of the innocent! I am the light in the darkness! I am truth! Ally to good! Nightmare to you!

Elephant Ambush posted:

Back to the Scoundrel solo scenario, I may have to try something like this. I can murder everything until the last room but even with both stamina potions I still run out of cards and exhaust against the stupid cannons.

What cards and items did you take?

Sorry this took a while! So, like I said, it was a while ago, and a lot of this is "I think I had / it went like" :v: I believe we were at prosperity level 4; I was level 6, and just used my actual character, instead of choosing perks/items just for the solo scenario (though I had some pretty good items.) I'm pretty sure I remember most of what I took.
Definitely Smoke Bomb and Trickster's Reversal. I think I had Strengthen on the top of Smoke Bomb, by this point. I'm also reasonably sure I took Single Out and Sinister Opportunity.
Scoundrel levels 3, 4, and 6 cards: I took Duelist's Advance, Flurry of Blades, and Burning Oil. That last one was one of my bread-and-butter cards after I hit level 6, just in general. It's fantastic.
The last was either Backstab (mostly for the movement) or one of the move 5 cards. Maybe Quick Hands for the top movement? Or (soundrel level 2 card) Open Wound, or something else with a decent attack. Or Venom Shiv, perhaps?

Items are where it might be a bit more tricky, mostly due to the head slot.
Head: I had either item 017 (prosperity 2) Empowering Talisman or item 047 (prosperity 6, or a scenario that I don't recall the # of off the top of my head :v: ) Pendant of Dark Pacts. I know I had the former at one point, then switched it out for the latter eventually, but I'm not sure if that was before or after this scenario. Doesn't really matter either way, though, they both are great because you can get back a stamina potion, which helps a ton with longevity.
Body: I had Leather Armor, but a Cloak of Invisibility would probably be better. There are some other body items that would also be good.
Feet: Not sure! I owned Boots of Striding, Winged Shoes, and item 097 (scenario 38 chest) Endurance Footwraps throughout my stabbing career, so it was one of those. Winged would probably be the most useful, of those.
Hands: I'm pretty sure I just had one one-handed item, item 033 (prosperity 4) Volatile Bomb, though item 025 (prosperity 3) Jagged Sword would do nicely as a second one-handed item. As another general note, not really with this specific scenario, but the former item combos really well with the bread-and-butter card I pointed out earlier.
Alternatively, for two-handed items, if you have it, item 112 (scenario 65 reward) Ancient Drill would be nice for this scenario.
Small items: Stamina Potion and item 034 (prosperity 4) Major Stamina Potion, of course! The third was probably another potion, of one variety or another. Power?

As for the scenario itself, this is what I remember, if you want to know (these spoilers contain most of the stuff spoilered above):
Room 1 - I remember restarting once because the guards didn't move the first time. I don't remember why, though. Might have done Single Out and Flurry of Blades, maybe? Doesn't really matter too much, though, it's a pretty straightforward room.
Room 2 - I tried to use the traps against the enemies, but it only kind of worked out? I Sinister Opportunity'd or Smoke Bomb'd one enemy into one trap, but then stupid monster AI Rikharn walked into both of the other two :v: Maybe I did something wrong and the AI wouldn't have actually gone there, but honestly I don't think it really mattered. I'm pretty sure I used Volatile Bomb with Burning Oil to Wound both of the guards here, got Burning Oil back with a stamina potion, and later Wounded the elite golem. The golem was somewhere around the lower column when I moved up to a space beside the door, and when I did so it focused on Rikharn because he was closer. I also got Burning Oil back again with another stamina potion. Next turn I used Smoke Bomb to go invisible, as well as a 5 or 6 movement card (or maybe boots of striding, idk) to...
Room 3 - Open this door, and stopped just shy of the next. Next turn I hit the normal golem with Burning Oil, and my other card was something with enough movement to
Room 4 - Open the door and run over... to the chest? Or the space between the chest and the upper artillery? I don't really remember. A decent ways away from the door, at any rate. With two turns of the elite guard and normal golem taking their actions while I was invisible, iirc the golem had gotten close enough to Rikharn to focus on him, and the guard was just shy of focusing on Rikharn as well, but that still bought me time before the guard got back to me. This gave me time to deal with the artillery and open the chest, all the while enemies were wearing down Rikharn and Wounds were ticking. Without having to deal with all the other enemies other than tossing out some Wounds, I still had most of my cards left to deal with the artillery. If I didn't use Single Out in the first room, I used it here. Rikharn died to the enemies, at some point, one normal guard had already died, the other died while making its way to the last room, with both golems having taken a chunk of Wound damage. I got a stamina potion back at some point with my head item and used it to get Burning Oil back and wound the elite guard when he got back, and then I think used Trickster's Reversal on him? The normal golem I'm pretty sure died to wound (remember, the burning oil was doubled against it earlier thanks to smoke bomb, so it was down some health even before the wound), and the elite golem was low enough that I finished it off with something like Duelist's Advance (bottom) + Backstab(top); or maybe I did that to the elite guard and Reversal'd the golem.

Of course it's going to depend a bit on what modifiers you draw, but I don't think I was too particularly lucky. Scoundrel's pretty reliable for getting at least a +1.

And one last note, about the goal for this scenario: remember that even after you open the chest and Rikharn becomes your enemy, he's still an enemy to everything else in the scenario, too! So they can keep each other occupied if he's still alive by that point. Between the traps and not being able to dish out much damage, I think he lasted two or three rounds after I opened the chest.

Reik
Mar 8, 2004

Vidmaster posted:

Unlocked Cthulhu face yesterday, this guy seems like he’s a blast at parties. This is definitely going to be a change from the face smashing playstyle of my last two characters. Any advice for build and items at prosperity 3/4?

Cthulhu Face Spoilers For build, you wanna take Fetid Flurry at 3 and Nightmarish Affliction at 4 for sure. At 2, you can take Rot Maggots if your group has no healing, but Under the Skin is the better overall pick due to the Move 4 on the bottom. Your goal is to dump as many curses in to the monster deck as you can while doing moderate damage. For items, general damage items are solid. If you're prosperity 4, I really like items 31 and 33.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Reik posted:

Cthulhu Face Spoilers For build, you wanna take Fetid Flurry at 3 and Nightmarish Affliction at 4 for sure. At 2, you can take Rot Maggots if your group has no healing, but Under the Skin is the better overall pick due to the Move 4 on the bottom. Your goal is to dump as many curses in to the monster deck as you can while doing moderate damage. For items, general damage items are solid. If you're prosperity 4, I really like items 31 and 33.
We cracked open a Cthulhu Face and it seemed really cool, but I was playing an Angry Face at the time, and we thought we might need a proper (Three Spears/Cthulhu Face spoilers, kind of?) healer and/or tank. (Hence, me picking up a Three Spears. (He moved to a Scoundrel. We're mostly hitting up old classes so we can challenge solo missions and so we can experience more content.) I'll probably grab a Triforce next, my PQ unlocks it.

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
Cthulhu Face can be played in several different ways depending on whether you emphasize curses or poison as your primary debuff (poison for output vs curses for mitigation). You'll be playing with both, but the force multiplier cards for each are often mutually exclusive. For example I lean heavily on Willing Sacrifice to front-load my DPS (adds raw damage to your move actions, allowing you to hit harder in a shorter period of time), while a curse-focused build would never spend a loss on that effect.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Vidmaster posted:

Cthulhu, some items of Prosperity 2
Plagueherald isn't a very item-dependent character, so anything that is good for other squishy ranged AoE spellcasters is good for them, too- eagle-eye goggles, power potions. Stamina pots, of course. Cloak of Invis is good as a panic button.

At prosperity 2, the Boots of Speed are notable, because they can help a herald's middling initiative and/or short ranges, and they usually don't need more movement, particularly after popping their scenario-long Flight card. Mana potions, if you have the slots.

After that, I'd focus mostly on saving up for Enhancements. Adding extra Curses into monster decks is where this class can shine.

e: This is absolutely the best build guide I could find, with very specific advice surrounding combos, and with 4 different pathways a cthulhu could take. There's 2 guides on Reddit, but one is from the 1st edition, and the other isn't a guide; it's mostly a dude bitterly griping about how hard Isaac nerfed them in 2nd edition.

https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/2075488/ultimate-cthulhu-squid-face-guide-second-edition

dwarf74 fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Jan 2, 2019

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

Zack Ater posted:

Sorry this took a while! So, like I said, it was a while ago, and a lot of this is "I think I had / it went like" :v: I believe we were at prosperity level 4; I was level 6, and just used my actual character, instead of choosing perks/items just for the solo scenario (though I had some pretty good items.) I'm pretty sure I remember most of what I took.
Definitely Smoke Bomb and Trickster's Reversal. I think I had Strengthen on the top of Smoke Bomb, by this point. I'm also reasonably sure I took Single Out and Sinister Opportunity.
Scoundrel levels 3, 4, and 6 cards: I took Duelist's Advance, Flurry of Blades, and Burning Oil. That last one was one of my bread-and-butter cards after I hit level 6, just in general. It's fantastic.
The last was either Backstab (mostly for the movement) or one of the move 5 cards. Maybe Quick Hands for the top movement? Or (soundrel level 2 card) Open Wound, or something else with a decent attack. Or Venom Shiv, perhaps?

Items are where it might be a bit more tricky, mostly due to the head slot.
Head: I had either item 017 (prosperity 2) Empowering Talisman or item 047 (prosperity 6, or a scenario that I don't recall the # of off the top of my head :v: ) Pendant of Dark Pacts. I know I had the former at one point, then switched it out for the latter eventually, but I'm not sure if that was before or after this scenario. Doesn't really matter either way, though, they both are great because you can get back a stamina potion, which helps a ton with longevity.
Body: I had Leather Armor, but a Cloak of Invisibility would probably be better. There are some other body items that would also be good.
Feet: Not sure! I owned Boots of Striding, Winged Shoes, and item 097 (scenario 38 chest) Endurance Footwraps throughout my stabbing career, so it was one of those. Winged would probably be the most useful, of those.
Hands: I'm pretty sure I just had one one-handed item, item 033 (prosperity 4) Volatile Bomb, though item 025 (prosperity 3) Jagged Sword would do nicely as a second one-handed item. As another general note, not really with this specific scenario, but the former item combos really well with the bread-and-butter card I pointed out earlier.
Alternatively, for two-handed items, if you have it, item 112 (scenario 65 reward) Ancient Drill would be nice for this scenario.
Small items: Stamina Potion and item 034 (prosperity 4) Major Stamina Potion, of course! The third was probably another potion, of one variety or another. Power?

As for the scenario itself, this is what I remember, if you want to know (these spoilers contain most of the stuff spoilered above):
Room 1 - I remember restarting once because the guards didn't move the first time. I don't remember why, though. Might have done Single Out and Flurry of Blades, maybe? Doesn't really matter too much, though, it's a pretty straightforward room.
Room 2 - I tried to use the traps against the enemies, but it only kind of worked out? I Sinister Opportunity'd or Smoke Bomb'd one enemy into one trap, but then stupid monster AI Rikharn walked into both of the other two :v: Maybe I did something wrong and the AI wouldn't have actually gone there, but honestly I don't think it really mattered. I'm pretty sure I used Volatile Bomb with Burning Oil to Wound both of the guards here, got Burning Oil back with a stamina potion, and later Wounded the elite golem. The golem was somewhere around the lower column when I moved up to a space beside the door, and when I did so it focused on Rikharn because he was closer. I also got Burning Oil back again with another stamina potion. Next turn I used Smoke Bomb to go invisible, as well as a 5 or 6 movement card (or maybe boots of striding, idk) to...
Room 3 - Open this door, and stopped just shy of the next. Next turn I hit the normal golem with Burning Oil, and my other card was something with enough movement to
Room 4 - Open the door and run over... to the chest? Or the space between the chest and the upper artillery? I don't really remember. A decent ways away from the door, at any rate. With two turns of the elite guard and normal golem taking their actions while I was invisible, iirc the golem had gotten close enough to Rikharn to focus on him, and the guard was just shy of focusing on Rikharn as well, but that still bought me time before the guard got back to me. This gave me time to deal with the artillery and open the chest, all the while enemies were wearing down Rikharn and Wounds were ticking. Without having to deal with all the other enemies other than tossing out some Wounds, I still had most of my cards left to deal with the artillery. If I didn't use Single Out in the first room, I used it here. Rikharn died to the enemies, at some point, one normal guard had already died, the other died while making its way to the last room, with both golems having taken a chunk of Wound damage. I got a stamina potion back at some point with my head item and used it to get Burning Oil back and wound the elite guard when he got back, and then I think used Trickster's Reversal on him? The normal golem I'm pretty sure died to wound (remember, the burning oil was doubled against it earlier thanks to smoke bomb, so it was down some health even before the wound), and the elite golem was low enough that I finished it off with something like Duelist's Advance (bottom) + Backstab(top); or maybe I did that to the elite guard and Reversal'd the golem.

Of course it's going to depend a bit on what modifiers you draw, but I don't think I was too particularly lucky. Scoundrel's pretty reliable for getting at least a +1.

And one last note, about the goal for this scenario: remember that even after you open the chest and Rikharn becomes your enemy, he's still an enemy to everything else in the scenario, too! So they can keep each other occupied if he's still alive by that point. Between the traps and not being able to dish out much damage, I think he lasted two or three rounds after I opened the chest.

Quoting this so I can find it later. Thanks!

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Hi, new Gloomhaven buyer here. Is the info in the op still relevant?

Like is the Broken Token organizer the best?

Are the apps and PDFs still the ones I should be using or are there new ones people prefer?

Pretty psyched to get into the game, just had a couple hours of going over rules and setting up the first scenario with my gf. This seems to be the game we’ve been looking for! :3:

Agrias120
Jun 27, 2002

I will burn my dread.

Snowy posted:

Hi, new Gloomhaven buyer here. Is the info in the op still relevant?

I might be in the minority, but I'm not too wild about the Broken Token organizer. It's nice and all, but it's very fiddly and not as sturdy as I'd like it to be for how much it cost and how much it gets handled. If I could go back, I'd just buy some plano boxes and make a homebrewed organizer.

The single best upgrade I did for my game was getting 3D Printed stands for the monster tokens that also held 2 miniature d6 that could be used to show their health at a glance.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Folded Space also does a cheap organiser that is worth a look.

Snowy posted:

Are the apps and PDFs still the ones I should be using or are there new ones people prefer?

The app version of the scenario viewer is up to date while the PDF is a bit behind I think. Not a huge deal.

This is a good version of the rules that is much easier to search than a huge PDF.

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
night action madness nightmares
maybe i am scum

Cpig Haiku contest 2020 winner
Dice on the board work great even without stands too, highly recommend over the damage counters (shich we use for player health instead of the spinners)

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Snowy posted:

Pretty psyched to get into the game, just had a couple hours of going over rules and setting up the first scenario with my gf. This seems to be the game we’ve been looking for! :3:
Awesome!! Yeah, it's filled a necessary niche for my table and it's AMAZING.

Organizers: Well, it depends on how app-heavy you want to go, and how okay you are with additional storage solutions.

For low app-use in-game with minimal/zero out-of-box storage, then, yeah, Broken Token is still tops, though I'd shop around to make sure you find the perfect one for yourself.

But.

There's some caveats - quite a lot of them if you're pretty flexible and don't mind storing the game pieces outside of the Gloomhaven box. For example, IMO the single best way to store map tiles is out-of-box in one of these cheap-rear end file folders, which will organize map tiles with minimal fuss, and which will save you probably 10 minutes of setup time every play-through. This is better than any in-box solution you'll find. (Only the four or so largest tiles will stay in the box at that point.)

And for the item shop, while it's manageable with just the cards at first, a business card holder, like this one provides a much cleaner and easier item shop solution, which is easy to browse and very easy to keep organized. Again, this is actually better than an in-box solution.

And if you want to keep track of an active character complete with sleeved cards, it's hard to go wrong with cheap CCG deck boxes for storage, because the ones that come with the game get super tight (especially after sleeving) and it's easy to just store sheets and cards in them.

Now at this point, a professional storage solution could still work out for you and be welcome!

But there's another big but. You see, if you're leveraging apps for combat management in-game (particularly Gloomhaven Helper), you'll find much of Broken Token's storage and organization are either unnecessary or downright cumbersome, since so much box space is dedicated to cleanly organizing monster tactics cards and stat cards you'll never even look at. So IMO you might as well save yourself some money and go with a simple tackle-box solution like YASS for like $20. I've gone so far as to store the aforementioned monster cards outside the box in a safe location, so they don't even get in the way anymore.

That's how I'm doing it, and frankly how I'd recommend it if - like I said - you aren't picky about keeping the game's stuff in the game's box.

As for apps... I use four. Gloomhaven Helper for active play. (This is the most important one, but it's a good idea to play with the physical pieces for a few sessions, first, to get a handle on what all it's doing.) I use the Gloomhaven Campaign Manager to keep track of unlocks and stuff, but it's not strictly necessary. I use this awesome page for keeping track of how all the scenarios fit together, because it's easy to lose plot threads. And I sometimes use the Gloomhaven Scenario Viewer - especially with its new, beautiful upgrades - to keep us unspoiled when starting a new scenario, and even figure out which monsters go where based on the number of players.

And a quick word about sleeving - Mayday has awesome, inexpensive sleeves. I'd use good, high-quality ones for players' combat modifier decks, bless/curse cards, and for player ability cards. Most of the rest of the game can just use the cheapie sleeves which are half the price and lighter for storage. Up to you, though.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
Trip report - Sun class's first outing, in an uncharacteristic 2-player group with Cthulhu-Face. Scenario 7. Spoilers on all three of these things.

So this was a weird scenario, and because of the distances required, I kept using Defensive Stance for its awesome attack, and never used the bottom. I also needed to bring Lay on Hands along because the scenario requires Loot cards. I was impressed regardless.

The damage this guy can lay down is great, especially coming off Cragheart. And the mobility was strong, too. I never got the tank thing really going strong, but I found I could still take some punishment. And when I occasionally got to play support cards, the look on the other player's face was priceless when I let him recover 3 discarded cards.

We were on the razor's edge up until the end. We both ended with 1 hp remaining, after thinking we'd lost by the 2nd room. After grabbing the 3rd chest, we split up and rushed as fast as we could to the final two. And.... It worked. The plagueherald flew past the earth elementals, and I used my big moves to sprint to the last one - conveniently right inside the door.

Good times. I'm liking this class.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Some Numbers posted:

Scenario 72 is, for my money, the hardest and most poorly designed scenario I’ve played. My group tried 3 or 4 times and it finally took a team of Music Note at 9, Sun at 9 and Two Minis at 6 or 7.

We had to cheese the game pretty hard to even have a shot.

72 is notoriously hard. You have to get lucky with the attack decks, basically. Because it has multiple enemies that can curse multiple targets, and multiple oozes, and lots of double target and poison, generally, plus a bunch of things that need big damage to kill (which means horribleness if you put in your attack 6 and miss due to those curses) and are immune to execute, it's hyper variable. This is either the only scenario we've ever lost, or one of only two we've ever lost, I can't remember. We won it basically entirely because of two factors: we killed the imps before they drew their double target curse, and the oozes didn't draw their split until the very bottom of their deck. Some classes will have an easier time than others though, but none will ever find it trivial.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Any suggestions for a good scenario to show a friend?

They're just joining the group for only one or two scenarios and I want to show them something good. We've got most of the campaign scenarios unlocked and a dozen or so side scenarios from various sources.
Ended up going with Scenario #1. It was quite easy but we ranged from "had a bad night's sleep" tiredness all the way down to "America to Australia jet-lag" tiredness so it seemed like the right call.

She went with a level 3 Spellweaver (just enough to get a bit of starting gold and a few perks) and managed to snipe a bunch of kills in between Two Minis and Sun doing their thing.

thespaceinvader posted:

72 is notoriously hard. Some classes will have an easier time than others though, but none will ever find it trivial.

When we did it we threw a level 9 Cthulhu and a mid-level Two-Minis at it and it turns out (Cthulhu spoiler) room-wide effects are amazing for it. But that's a bit of an edge case.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Throwing anything level 9 at anything is probably going to wind up making that thing trivial TBH.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.
We're choosing which Scenario to play next in the LP! https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3877469
A few more votes (City&Road event, buy/sell) to follow, depending on the current choice. Everyone is welcome!

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

thespaceinvader posted:

Throwing anything level 9 at anything is probably going to wind up making that thing trivial TBH.

Some classes have pretty weak level 9 cards (eg Mindthief), and others have strong ones that don't fill the specific niche that makes 72 much easier (unlimited range AoE).

A level 9 Cthulhu and a level 5? Two Minis is going to have a much easier time on it than if the levels were reverse.

Reik
Mar 8, 2004
I'm pretty sure the answer to scenario 72 is Lightning Bolts, the more I think about it. I don't see how they don't take down trees a & b in rounds 1 and 2 before they get to summon an ooze, assuming you've got a cloak of invis. It does drain you of 3 loss cards: Glass Hammer, Resolute Stand, and From the Brink, but you're so far ahead of schedule at that point you should be able to clean up on time.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

Reik posted:

I'm pretty sure the answer to scenario 72 is Lightning Bolts, the more I think about it. I don't see how they don't take down trees a & b in rounds 1 and 2 before they get to summon an ooze, assuming you've got a cloak of invis. It does drain you of 3 loss cards: Glass Hammer, Resolute Stand, and From the Brink, but you're so far ahead of schedule at that point you should be able to clean up on time.

I'll consider this, thanks. The thing is that I already bought other armor. I guess since this is my first scenario with this character I could go back and buy different stuff but then I don't want to be stuck with an Invisibility Cloak until I can afford better armor.

I may just ask my group to skip it for a while but one person really wants to complete it so that we can progress the town records. Meh.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

Invisibility Cloak is a great chest slot item for Lightning Bolts anyway. Even if you're not going the full on "I'm on 1 HP for the whole scenario" build, you're going to have cards which take advantage of being beat up, and the cloak makes you invincible for two whole rounds if used properly. That makes for insane turns where you don't have to worry at all about taking damage and can focus on just annihilating whole rooms.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

I got my Brute to level 9 in a ridiculously short amount of time, they've got a lot of really solid general purpose attacks that grant XP. And for like the two missions he lasted, he was an unstoppable force of gently caress You, while our Three Spears was an immovable object. It was kinda great.

Also, he played the Scoundrel solo while I watched and he actually got it on the first try, mostly with lots of bleed and a really clutch rolling Invisible. It was drat impressive to see. Also that reward item seems like SOMEONE is gonna buy it basically every time it's available.

Reik
Mar 8, 2004

Elephant Ambush posted:

I'll consider this, thanks. The thing is that I already bought other armor. I guess since this is my first scenario with this character I could go back and buy different stuff but then I don't want to be stuck with an Invisibility Cloak until I can afford better armor.

I may just ask my group to skip it for a while but one person really wants to complete it so that we can progress the town records. Meh.

Triforce spoilers You could have your triforce move up 2 hexes and tag you with Encompassing Shadows after you take out tree a instead of bringing a cloak. Did you buy winged boots? If so, you only have to move up 4 hexes to hit tree a, giving your triforce a bit more cushion.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

Reik posted:

Triforce spoilers You could have your triforce move up 2 hexes and tag you with Encompassing Shadows after you take out tree a instead of bringing a cloak. Did you buy winged boots? If so, you only have to move up 4 hexes to hit tree a, giving your triforce a bit more cushion.

I didn't have any leftover money to buy boots but if I'm going to respec my gear I may buy Boots of Striding and put back the mana potion I bought to help Triforce.

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

Reik posted:

I mean, this, but for every single level. I didn't find any levels in all my days as lightning bolts where this wasn't true. There's always some circumstance where doing that thing puts you in that situation, to the same result.

Blankspot
Aug 23, 2007
Would you kindly...

My group has been playing Gloomhaven for the better part of the last year and I wanted to treat us to something extra for the game.
We've done the DYI storage setup posted before. We usually run with a TV hooked up to the web apps. I have little storage trays for commonly placed things like unused stands, coins, etc. I have the reusable sticker pack. Currently using some fan made party/scenario tracker guides.

Has anyone tried any of those custom player mats on Etsy? Or used 3d printed treasure chests,doors,tiles from a seller they liked? Just looking for something that could add a little more to the presentation of the game.
I have no painting skills so making the minis look nice is off the table for me.

Reik
Mar 8, 2004

Elephant Ambush posted:

I didn't have any leftover money to buy boots but if I'm going to respec my gear I may buy Boots of Striding and put back the mana potion I bought to help Triforce.

Lightning Bolt spoilers I would recommend winged boots over boots of striding on Lightning Bolts. You've got a lot of Move 4s, a Move 5 from Flurry, and a Move 4-7 from Strength of Agony, but none of them have Jump.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Elephant Ambush posted:

For anyone having trouble with this one (or any one) I gather Isaac published a special scenario that youcan do when you've just lost, which lets you count the one you lost as completed.

So you might want to look into that.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

thespaceinvader posted:

For anyone having trouble with this one (or any one) I gather Isaac published a special scenario that youcan do when you've just lost, which lets you count the one you lost as completed.

As a warning, the penalty for failing it is weird. And potentially steep for some classes, but super easy for other classes.

Reik
Mar 8, 2004

thespaceinvader posted:

Man, I forgot about that scenario and got really excited at the thought of doing that instead of retrying scenario 60, but for some reason the scenario can't link to Gloomhaven.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

thespaceinvader posted:

Can anyone link to this? I checked Isaac's BGG posts and the official site and wouldn't even begin to know what to google (most results are obv going to return FAQ style questions on losing a scenario or strategies on lost cards, etc)

Reik
Mar 8, 2004
http://geekdo-files.com.s3.amazonaw...6VhbTFxl63BA%3D

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
This link didn't work for me but the filename inside it helped me find it on BGG - https://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/161193/end-world-gloomhaven-digital-adventure