Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.
UPDATE AT THE END OF THE PREVIOUS PAGE!

Added an option to the vote:
- please vote on the difficulty level for the next Scenario! Should we keep Party level -1 or move to Party Level +0?

EDIT: also, it goes without saying that if you want to sign up to play you just need to ask itt! If you don't have PMs, please send an email to gloomhavenlp@gmail.com with your preferred contact method.

That Italian Guy fucked around with this message at 13:58 on Jan 3, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib
That was so much fun! Thank you for letting me play. I well be following this thread because I can't wait for another shot!!

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
1) Go back to Gloomhaven, then move to Scenario 2 - Barrow Lair.

Also let's increase the scenario difficulty to +0
Maximizing events is the only way to go in this game IMO, both for flavor and for results. City events tend to have long-term good effects (give reputation or prosperity, for example) while road events are usually at worst single scenario penalties.

Plus we can buy Bullwinkle an Iron Helmet. For him, Hide Armor should probably wait until we have the perk that removes item penalties. The other two should save their gold for the moment, IMO

Piell fucked around with this message at 14:20 on Jan 3, 2019

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
Probably up it to +0? Also sign me up for whenever.

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

Well done team!

My vote is for 1) Go back to Gloomhaven, then move to Scenario 2 - Barrow Lair.

Even if you don't have anything to do in town and your calculus says skipping a road event is worth missing a city event, you're denying yourself the flavor text and whatever permanent rewards you might get from either.

Also this.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib
Go back to Gloomhaven!

Spend that money

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

Yeah, it's true that road events are generally negative and city events are generally positive, but skipping them by powering through linked scenarios is depriving yourself of content. I support going back to Gloomhaven then going to scenario 2.

EDIT: Also, increase the scenario difficulty to +0

Reik
Mar 8, 2004
My votes are:
-Return to Gloomhaven then go to Scenario 2
-Increase difficulty to +0

Look forward to delving again!

Man, I didn't think your battle goal was pick up 5 monies at all. Crazy.

Reik fucked around with this message at 14:55 on Jan 3, 2019

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost
Well, knowing what I know about scenario 2, it would really suck if we got a road event that had us all start the scenario with some kind of negative status. I'm probably the only one who will vote for going straight to scenario 2 but idgaf :)

If we go back to town I agree that Bullwinkle should buy the Iron Helmet. That's one of the most cost efficient investments for that class.

Bumping the difficulty is cool too. Scenario 1 is supposed to be hard and the players crushed it for free. I want some tension!

Elephant Ambush fucked around with this message at 15:54 on Jan 3, 2019

Reik
Mar 8, 2004
Iron Helmet or Minor Healing Potion? Iron Helmet will help prevent damage spikes, but I think a Minor Healing Potion will provide more benefit on average.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Reik posted:

Iron Helmet or Minor Healing Potion? Iron Helmet will help prevent damage spikes, but I think a Minor Healing Potion will provide more benefit on average.
He already has a stamina potion, so a second potion will have to wait until Level 3.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
Yeah, you can only bring level/2 (rounded up) small items, otherwise a healing potion would be a good pick.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

Iron Helmets are incredible peace of mind for the price, and they don't really compete with anything else for that slot for a while. Technically Eagle Eye Goggles are also a head slot item, but I don't find them that great for the price on the Cragheart. They're good, don't get me wrong, but I can usually find more attractive things to spend 30 gold on. They're better for classes like the Spellweaver who do actual AOE damage more frequently and will almost always long rest by necessity so they'll get the goggles back multiple times. I find myself short resting almost exclusively on my Cragheart. Iron Helmets, meanwhile, have saved myself and our party's Brute a ton of damage and makes it much easier to calculate the risk of putting yourself in harm's way.

Reik
Mar 8, 2004
Man, it has been a long time since I haven't been able to carry a second small item.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
Yeah, an iron helm was among my new Sun Class's first purchases.

For anyone who takes a bunch of attacks, it's priceless.

My cragheart had it, and it saved my bacon a few times. But for a ranged build cragheart, eagle eye is probably better if you're using Backup Ammo. You shouldn't get attacked as much as a front-liner, you have the HP for a stray crit once in a while, and an Advantaged 4-target Forceful Storm is just wonderful.

Reik
Mar 8, 2004
Might be worth it to grab an Iron Helmet for the Mindthief, too. Makes it easier to take 1 focus here and there to help spread the damage around without risking a big 2x forcing a lost card. I imagine the Cragheart will save for Piercing Bow or Eagle Eye Goggles?

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

Reik posted:

Might be worth it to grab an Iron Helmet for the Mindthief, too. Makes it easier to take 1 focus here and there to help spread the damage around without risking a big 2x forcing a lost card. I imagine the Cragheart will save for Piercing Bow or Eagle Eye Goggles?

I disagree. The Mindthief should never take a hit, especially in this party with 2 other meaty characters.

The best hat for the Mindthief isn't unlocked yet (Empowering Talisman) so I think we should wait for that.

Reik
Mar 8, 2004

Elephant Ambush posted:

I disagree. The Mindthief should never take a hit, especially in this party with 2 other meaty characters.

The best hat for the Mindthief isn't unlocked yet (Empowering Talisman) so I think we should wait for that.

I think with Empathetic Assault in the deck you're leaving resources on the table by not taking a hit every now and then.

In either case, is it worth it to rent the helmet for 5g until then?

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

Reik posted:

I think with Empathetic Assault in the deck you're leaving resources on the table by not taking a hit every now and then.

In either case, is it worth it to rent the helmet for 5g until then?

Well, as the person who will be playing the Mindthief next, and as a veteran Mindthief player, if the Mindthief is taking a hit something has gone horribly wrong. :)

Also the Invisibility Cloak covers this situation pretty well. Its primary use is blocking doorways but it's a perfectly fine "Oh poo poo" button if things go south.

And you never intentionally take a hit just so you "don't waste healing". That's silly.

Reik
Mar 8, 2004

Elephant Ambush posted:

Well, as the person who will be playing the Mindthief next, and as a veteran Mindthief player, if the Mindthief is taking a hit something has gone horribly wrong. :)

Also the Invisibility Cloak covers this situation pretty well. Its primary use is blocking doorways but it's a perfectly fine "Oh poo poo" button if things go south.

And you never intentionally take a hit just so you "don't waste healing". That's silly.

I mean, you wouldn't take the hit if it could be entirely avoided, that would be silly, but if you could shift the hit from the Cragheart to yourself and heal up with Empathetic Assault next turn you would be getting the most out of your cards.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Zurai posted:

Yeah, it's true that road events are generally negative and city events are generally positive, but skipping them by powering through linked scenarios is depriving yourself of content. I support going back to Gloomhaven then going to scenario 2.

EDIT: Also, increase the scenario difficulty to +0

This

I'm going to recommend against going to Clockwork Cove for a while. It's probably doable, but it will not be easy.

Also, Rocky should be at -1 XP. Nature's Lift doesn't give XP on the first trigger.

Also also, everyone in the party should get bonus XP for finishing the mission, which is 4 XP at level 0.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

Reik posted:

I mean, you wouldn't take the hit if it could be entirely avoided, that would be silly, but if you could shift the hit from the Cragheart to yourself and heal up with Empathetic Assault next turn you would be getting the most out of your cards.

Getting the most out of your cards isn't the primary goal. It's winning the scenario. :)

Having said that, if for some reason Rocky and Bullwinkle are low on hp I'll take a hit for them in a pinch. But as I said before, if the party is in that kind of situation then we have probably made multiple collective mistakes. Let's try to avoid that.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.

Some Numbers posted:

Also also, everyone in the party should get bonus XP for finishing the mission, which is 4 XP at level 0.

You are absolutely right!

Some Numbers posted:

Also, Rocky should be at -1 XP. Nature's Lift doesn't give XP on the first trigger.

I have misapplied this for quite a while...the experience is gained when the counter leaves the marked slot and not when it enters it. I'll have to fix the text on a few transcribed cards because of that.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Cragheart definitely wants Goggles and then probably armor after that.

Once we get some perks.

namad
Nov 7, 2013
I vote for:
Go back to Gloomhaven, then move to Scenario 2 - Barrow Lair.
Also let's increase the scenario difficulty to +0

Also, I think maybe we should vote on going back to the city, forever, as in, after each scenario we're simply in the city. That way we can vote on what to buy/levelup/dointhecity right away.
The step of voting to return to the city, then having another step of voting what to do in the city just wastes a day. I honestly cannot think of any reason to not return to the city. Unless it's quite a bit later into the game and our event decks are looking quite thin. Or if we've decided to repeat a mission for some reason, which might mean it would make sense.

The game rules really don't give you any reason to skip road events, yes they're bad, but city events are so good that they make up for it. We could probably just return to the city everytime until 2020 and then consider skipping road events, maybe. Basically, if anyone retires before level 9, I just can't see us running out of amazing unique rare special positive city/road events. The bad events suck, but, the decks don't shuffle (until you retire), so, the only way to get the good event is to simply encounter all the bad ones.

namad fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Jan 3, 2019

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

It's too early to start doing it, but once we start making more money, donating to the church is a good long term investment.

Also, City Events are usually very good.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I'd suggest getting the Eagle Eye Goggs for our Mindthief at some point, because she can be built to have a really slim modifier deck, and they'll let you guarantee a hit and give a decent shot at a crit if she starts making a habit of donating.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)
City, then Scenario 2.

Difficulty to +0.

I don't have any item suggestions or anything because I'm not confident enough with how to optimise yet.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

I'd suggest getting the Eagle Eye Goggs for our Mindthief at some point, because she can be built to have a really slim modifier deck, and they'll let you guarantee a hit and give a decent shot at a crit if she starts making a habit of donating.

For 20 more gold you can enhance the bottom of Empathetic Assault to add Strengthen or Bless to the self heal and leave the hat slot open for the item I spoilered earlier. That item will let you get back your stamina potion so you can maximize the re-use of Empathetic Assault.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Enhancements are not available this early.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

Some Numbers posted:

Enhancements are not available this early.

I know. I still don't think EEG are good for the Mindthief.

Telum
Apr 17, 2013

I am protector of the innocent! I am the light in the darkness! I am truth! Ally to good! Nightmare to you!

Always go back to Gloomhaven.
I don't know what the scenario entails, but just to be contrary, go do clockwork cove.
Move the difficulty back up to +0.

archduke.iago
Mar 1, 2011

Nostalgia used to be so much better.

Zack Ater posted:

I don't know what the scenario entails, but just to be contrary, go do clockwork cove.

voting for this

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades

Zack Ater posted:

Voting for this. It ought to be delightful to watch.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH

Zack Ater posted:

:bisonyes:

R2Brew
Oct 15, 2006

Got Sedin?

Zack Ater posted:

I agree with this too as a Gloomhaven vet.

This is a fun read and moved more quickly than I expected. Nice job OP!

I was going to agree with the always going to Gloomhaven option, but it doesn’t really add additional voting periods if you continue in the current method. I’d keep this as is.

DarthRoblox
Nov 25, 2007
*rolls ankle* *gains 15lbs* *apologizes to TFLC* *rolls ankle*...
I'll sign up to take a turn! Gotta say though, for a no spoilers policy there's a ton of meta gaming around future events and items and trying to min max selections early on, makes me not really want to but for items or locations since they wouldn't be the "correct" choice if you know what's coming.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib
I mean it's unfortunate but I this setting I think meta gaming will just be a thing :-(

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
Speaking of - if it's the clockwork dungeon, I won't want to spoil myself and will have to sit out from the thread until it's over. This is fine - it's inevitable at some point - but I'm still trying to avoid spoilers.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

A general reminder on spoilers (even in spoilers tags) itt: please don't use them :)

It's been very mild so far, but it can easily turn into a CIA-like redacted document down the line if we use them. If you have previous knowledge of something that is still sealed no one can really stop anyone from using it (heck, it would be not-fun for everyone involved anyway), but I'd rather have the thread be fully readable by someone new to the game without fear. I myself have not seen 100% of the content of the box yet and it would be difficult to follow the thread that way :)

Anyway, voting is closed tallying the votes now, then update!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

City Management I, Update 1
Whenever our heroes are not dungeon crawling in a Scenario (and, looking at the map, even when they are) they usually hang around in the City of Gloomhaven. Here they have access to a lot of different activities; these are the ones available to us at the moment:
- Create a new character to add to the party. Gloomhaven has a solid op-out-op-in system and you can freely add a different character to the party composition if you feel the need for it; only characters that have been unlocked can be added to the party. Characters that are created later in the game start at a level equal to the City Prosperity level (or lower). We will keep a 3 character composition (as it's arguably the "best" number considering the difficulty, balancing, admin work/scenario lenght and party interaction, at least imo), but we can, at any time, hire someone else and try them out. This will spread out the gains and create a "weaker" all around party, so we'll only do that if there is a solid thread consensus.
- Complete City Events: as mentioned before, City Events are small CYOA-style cards that usually have neutral or good outcomes.
- Buy/Sell items: from the ones available in the market pool. Additional prosperity levels (and blueprints found around in the world) unlock additional content for the market.
- Level up when one or more heroes have enough XP to be able to. To reach Level 2, our characters need 45+ XP.
- Donate to the Sanctuary: once per visit, each hero can donate 10g to the Sacred Oak Sanctuary. If they do so, they'll receive 3 2 BLESS cards to add to their modifiers deck for the next Scenario (BLESS cards count as x2 modifiers that are removed from the deck at the end of the Scenario or the first time they are drawn). Also, donating a total of 100g to the Sanctuary allows us to unseal envelope B and read its contents.

Previous update corrections posted:

- For successfully completing the Black Barrow at Party Level -1, every hero gains 4 additional XP!
- Rocky has had 1 XP too many because of a clerical mistake. Since it's an easy fix and we're out of the dungeon crawling part, I'll correct the tally even if I would normally keep a mistake that favors the players.

Now, here's the result of our current votes:
VOTE 1: we're going back to Gloomhaven. In fact, we may just go back to Gloomhaven, period, after a Scenario. If you want to proceed to a linked Scenario directly instead, please make some noise towards the end of the Scenario itself and we'll vote on it :)
VOTE 2: we are bumping up the difficulty to "normal", or Party Level +0. Better rewards, more dangerous enemies and traps.
VOTE 3: it's been closer than what it would have seemed at first, but with an almost 2-to-1 ratio we're going to Scenario 2 - Barrow Lair!

BRIEFING: Scenario 2 - Barrow Lair - Features posted:

These are the details we know about Scenario 2 before starting it:
Links to: Scenario 1 - Black Barrow
Requirements: First Steps (Party Achievement) COMPLETED
Goal: Kill the Bandit Commander and all revealed enemies.
Tiles in the Scenario:

Map Layout:

BRIEFING: Scenario 2 - Barrow Lair - Creatures posted:

These are the stats for this Scenario's creatures:

As you can see, moving from Party Level -1 to +0 has made a serious difference in not only the stats, but also the abilities these monsters have - abilities on a monster's stat card are always active. We are also seeing our first boss's card:
- the icons in the top left are its immunities (in this case, the Bandit Commander is immune to IMMOBILIZE, STUN and CURSE);
- the boss's HP are determined by the difficulty and the Party Level; at Level 1, he has 10HP for each character in the party.

- Every boss shares the same ability deck, but every one of them has 2 main different abilities, marked with SPECIAL 1 or SPECIAL 2. In this case, 1 is "Move to the next door and reveal room" and 2 is "Summon Living Bones", so we know what to expect from the boss, at least in part.
Since we have already met some of these adversaries, we can now have a better look at their ability decks (these are the "in the box" cards. We normally use the app ones, that automatically make the necessary calculations for us; the various "+1", "-1", etc are to be applied to the base value for that stat on the monster card. So if the base value is "Attack 4", an "Attack -1" ability card would mean that, for that round, the monster has an Attack value of 3.[/i]
Bandit Archer:

Living Bones:

While we're in Gloomhaven, our party runs into this Event:

City Event 27 posted:

Are we going to intervene against the angry mob to save a(n alleged) thief?

Riches and Market posted:

Current riches are:
- Rocky: 16 Gold
- Master Splinter: 12 Gold
- Bullwinkle: 10 Gold
Current Market pool:

In case the screenshots are not easily readable for you, Reddit has an unofficial Gloomhaven Wiki that is spoiler free (unless you go snooping around or mouse over spoiler tags). All the Prosperity Level 1 items can be found here.

Please vote on the following decisions and make sure to bold the options you want to pick:
1) Should we Buy/Sell anything? Please specify who and what! Also, If you want to donate 10g to the Sanctuary, specify which hero(s) should do that!
2) What should we do for the current City Event? Please vote Option A or Option B!

DEADLINE FOR EVERYTHING IS 3AM EST:getin:
Also, I have yet to hear confirmation from Zurai and archduke.iago (and I'll need the latter to send an email to gloomhavenlp@gmail.com with their preferred contact method). I've seen them both post itt, so I presume they'll come around soon :)

That Italian Guy fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Jan 5, 2019