Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is your resolution for the new year?
This poll is closed.
To play more games 54 12.68%
To play more games 52 12.21%
To play less games...sorry, I meant more games 70 16.43%
To play games more 79 18.54%
Something else (in addition to playing more games) 66 15.49%
To make more/less Bowsette references 105 24.65%
Total: 219 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

exquisite tea posted:

Refer to him by his proper title, Star Player of the Zanarkand Abes.

I like that Rikku tells him not to mention Zanarkand and he does so in literally the next scene anyway

Also yeah I've never played FFX before, hah

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Tidus is cool because he's like if Cristiano Ronaldo was a Final Fantasy character.

I've multitasked today by also beating Rush'n Attack on the NES. Admittedly I used savestates but I still didn't feel like it was that challenging compared to how bad other NES games can be. A good piece of quick, dirty fun.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

all i can say about tidus is he's really strong in the little final fantasy gachapon phone game i play riding the bus to and from work

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

thinkin about video game music again

Red Zone for genesis, same guys who did Sub-Terrania now that i look, which explains all the odd similarities I saw and sensed even as a kid

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qetiTdnAVHs

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

sega channel was such an incredible blessing for kid-me :unsmith:

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Rarity posted:

I beat Halo 3 although the final level where you drive a poorly controlled buggy across bumpy destructible terrain without being able to see where your going across an instant death drop is some serious bullshit.

haveblue posted:

That segment is an homage to the ending of the first game, which also had you drive along a huge racetrack with stuff shooting at you. But back then they didn't have the tech for the bumpy terrain and blowing holes in the course in real time so it's a good bit easier.

I have mentioned before that I do not like Halo and when I really think about it, this is the reason why. I was doing OK with it up until the last level of 1.

That level and dying hundreds of times to have to try it over and over again was so tiresome that it made all the things I had thought were not so great even worse. I never did play 2 or 3 (despite owning them) because of it. :(

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Ciaphas posted:

sega channel was such an incredible blessing for kid-me :unsmith:

I really wanted that for my Sega Saturn, but my parents wouldn’t get it for me. I was mostly happy just playing Command & Conquer, Solar Eclipse, and Virtua Fighter 2.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

btw the thread should be called Um Jammer Lammuary

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth
Halo 3 was awesome.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Ciaphas posted:

thinkin about video game music again

Red Zone for genesis, same guys who did Sub-Terrania now that i look, which explains all the odd similarities I saw and sensed even as a kid

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qetiTdnAVHs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JU_wK5Y1_3o

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Relax Or DIE posted:

If I remember 2001 correctly, many people disliked Tidus because he looked too feminine and a lot of it is probably still that but papered over a bit

Tidus and his pants are cool though

Tidus and Raiden definitely suffered a bishonen backlash despite being among the most skilled and competent characters in their respective franchises.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

Help Im Alive posted:

Who do I pay to carry me through real life

Sugar Daddies, but not with money,

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

al-azad posted:

Tidus and Raiden definitely suffered a bishonen backlash despite being among the most skilled and competent characters in their respective franchises.
It's ironic that because everyone was making GBS threads on Raiden for being pretty back then that many people missed the point that Raiden in 2 was a satire of the fanbase and any of his character flaws was born out of his ties with the playerbase and their insistence of another game like MGS1.

4 unfortunately dumped that idea that 2 set up, that Raiden would be his own self-confident person now that he is freed from the shackles of the fans.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

al-azad posted:

One kinda weird thing about FFX's narrative is that the story of Jecht Auron and Braska was way more unexpected and ultimately important in defeating Sin for good, but that's all told in the background.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

wow, that guys definitely got a style he sticks to, lol

i like it though, suits the Genesis audio quite nicely

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

corn in the bible posted:

the syllables not meshing is really messing me up

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

exquisite tea posted:

One kinda weird thing about FFX's narrative is that the story of Jecht Auron and Braska was way more unexpected and ultimately important in defeating Sin for good, but that's all told in the background.
Jecht and Laguna are the FF dads that are more interesting than their sons.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Accordion Man posted:

Jecht and Laguna are the FF dads that are more interesting than their sons.

Tidus is better than Jecht

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"
More like re-Jecht

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

the expert sphere grid is intimidating!

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Relax Or DIE posted:

If I remember 2001 correctly, many people disliked Tidus because he looked too feminine and a lot of it is probably still that but papered over a bit

there was a large contingent of people who thought they were super clever by calling him Meg Ryan all the time

consequently that fits in the name field if you rename him.

corn in the bible posted:

it's how i keep accidentally reading it in my head even when the title is right there.

May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"
Related, when I got my PS2, with it I got FFX, MGS2, Devil May Cry and GTA3. It was probably the strongest start to a console I'll ever have, save for maybe the NES.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

I had Onimusha and then played poo poo like Evergrace while I waited for the cool stuff i saw in OPM (i think there was a delay between when they switched over to PS2 demo discs)

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
FFX was the first standard (i.e. not pokemon or mario) JRPG I played that didn't kinda suck (i.e. not Golden Sun) so it has a special place in my heart

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Accordion Man posted:

It's ironic that because everyone was making GBS threads on Raiden for being pretty back then that many people missed the point that Raiden in 2 was a satire of the fanbase and any of his character flaws was born out of his ties with the playerbase and their insistence of another game like MGS1.

4 unfortunately dumped that idea that 2 set up, that Raiden would be his own self-confident person now that he is freed from the shackles of the fans.

I had the benefit of Metal Gear Solid 2 being my first MGS game, and I went into it completely blind. So Raiden showing up was pretty cool to me. I liked him and thought the plot twist with a change in playable characters was awesome and unique for the time.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
I think I have played bits of JRPGs but I do not think I have ever completed one. Unless we can call Nier:Automata or Yakuza 0/Kiwami a JRPG.

How would you class what a JRPG is? Big main world to wander in with random battles that are turn based?

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

VideoGames posted:

I think I have played bits of JRPGs but I do not think I have ever completed one. Unless we can call Nier:Automata or Yakuza 0/Kiwami a JRPG.

How would you class what a JRPG is? Big main world to wander in with random battles that are turn based?

it's a JRPG if there's levelups, it's at least 30% cutscenes by playtime, and it's anime

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I think Nier Automata is a JRPG.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

I said come in! posted:

I think Nier Automata is a JRPG.

It has fishing, so it is.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

cheetah7071 posted:

FFX was the first standard (i.e. not pokemon or mario) JRPG I played that didn't kinda suck (i.e. not Golden Sun) so it has a special place in my heart

FFX is genuinely really good, it's one of the few FFs that really feel like some thought was put into the history and logic of the world before Square wrote a check for the cutscenes and worked backwards from there.

May 8, 2006

Truthfully, I actually decide what is and isn't a JRPG so just ask and I'll let you know.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

chumbler posted:

It has fishing, so it is.

Red Dead Redemption 2 has the best fishing because you can use dynamite to fish. Which officially makes it a JRPG.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
Chrono Trigger remains the best jrpg ever made.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Edmond Dantes posted:

:hmmyes:

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Relax Or DIE posted:

Truthfully, I actually decide what is and isn't a JRPG so just ask and I'll let you know.

are Japanese-style western-made RPGs like Undertale JRPGs?

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Edmond Dantes posted:

it's ok

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Chrono Trigger hot take: Toriyama's art is ugly and every game he does the portrait work for looks worse by his inclusion

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

I said come in! posted:

Red Dead Redemption 2 has the best fishing because you can use dynamite to fish. Which officially makes it a JRPG.

That's very unsporting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

VideoGames posted:

everyone likes to burst through walls and out of cupboards and through the floor to point out exceptions and edge cases and whatever whenever you try and classify these things but my opinion is that a JRPG is the opposite of a WRPG (a.k.a. a CRPG) and my metrics for each are as follows:

A JRPG:
-Pre-created characters whose actions, mechanical development, and personalities are largely determined entirely by the game and not the player
-Pre-scripted plot with little to no agency on the player's part to change its direction or ending
-If turn based, typically has menu based combat

A WRPG:
-Blank slate main character, or even entire parties, whose actions, mechanical development, and personalities (or lack thereof) are largely determined entirely by the player (dialogue trees ahoy)
-Although typically has one major quest whose ending is largely the same for everyone, where and how the player gets there and what they do along the way is open-ended
-If turn based, typically has tile or isometric based combat

notably, the witcher games and the mass effect series have a lot more jrpg in their blood than what i'd consider a pure crpg