Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Dick Trauma posted:

I'm interested in this game but I'm sort of claustrophobic and can't swim. I'm going to wind up curled up into a ball under my desk, aren't I? :ohdear:
I watched a stream by someone who has issues like that and he was like, going into a panic attack mode spontaneously over the weirdest poo poo, his girlfriend kept asking if he was okay and at a certain point he said OKAY THAT'S ENOUGH SUBNAUTICA MAYBE FOREVER!

He hadn't even repaired the radio yet by that point. So I guess if you have significant terror of the ocean and can't disassociate it from being a game, it may be too much for you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
I am not afraid of the ocean, but if I were dropped in it I would die. That said I don't know if that's enough to suppress my curiosity about this game.

I hated the Sonic 2 chemical plant level because I always drowned in there. Always. :smith:

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Zesty posted:

Who cares if you cheat in a single player game? There's only one person who potentially loses out on anything for that.

I first ran into the late addition "feature" of disabling cheevos for console use when on launch day, the opening cutscene killed me thanks to the fire extinguisher simply floating in place unable to be used, and it persisting on respawn. Only to realize I still had to restart anyways for the early game steam banana stickers.

Because of course, one must prioritize pleasing the sort of person who honestly feels using the console to fix a buggy game is still cheating :v:

Section Z fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Jan 2, 2019

Tetrabor
Oct 14, 2018

Eight points of contact at all times!

Dick Trauma posted:

I am not afraid of the ocean, but if I were dropped in it I would die. That said I don't know if that's enough to suppress my curiosity about this game.

I hated the Sonic 2 chemical plant level because I always drowned in there. Always. :smith:

If you play in casual mode (no food), the game is easy enough in the beginning. The scariest thing starting out is the noise from a passive whale-like creature, at least until you start getting into the deeper areas that combine darkness/monsters/claustrophobia into one!

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Hell I'd advise newbies to consider playing on food-free mode anyway, whatever they call it. Survival meters beyond health and o2 just don't add anything to the game at all after the first 30 minutes IMO

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Ciaphas posted:

Hell I'd advise newbies to consider playing on food-free mode anyway, whatever they call it. Survival meters beyond health and o2 just don't add anything to the game at all after the first 30 minutes IMO

Yeah really. I have 2 water filters and a single grow bed, and now food and water is just a chore I have to do every 30 minutes, no risk at all.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

Dick Trauma posted:

You will definitely get an uncomfortable thrill from this game...if you're truly on the fence, watch a let's play of the first 30 minutes or so!

It's definitely worth the ~$18 Steam is charging for the next ~12 hours! :homebrew:

Ciaphas posted:

I missed the whole survival game craze so I really enjoyed having to manage those stats. Felt like a hardcore mod for Skyrim!

I can imagine how that would be tedious if you've already played-out the genre, though...

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

Yeah really. I have 2 water filters and a single grow bed, and now food and water is just a chore I have to do every 30 minutes, no risk at all.

Again, having not played many (any?) other survival games, I liked having to plan out expeditions and the extra inventory management that came along with planning for the food/water needed for a big push into The Deep. Luckily it's a toggle, so everyone can do whatever is most fun!

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
I see you point, but it needs more to it to keep my interest. Like, at this point its "cured peeper, distilled water", 6 slots of inventory gone, done. It's literally just a fun clock that you have to turn back here and there. If there was more to the mechanics than "grab fish press button" then I'd be liable to leave it on.

For instance, I play Skyrim modded to poo poo with Frostfall and all sorts of crap, and trip out to a dungeon requires planning, provisioning, appropriate clothing and gear, and takes a couple days with camping and intermittent hunting, and it RULES. This is not that.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
I actually like that Subnautica is a survival game where you are actually allowed to lick that whole "Survival" thing rather than be a constantly starving hobo regardless of tech level.

Sure the game has basically fought itself on that premise kicking and screaming through the development (Water Filtration remains the most drainy thing on the planet, which is still an improvement over previous "nuclear reactor rod per single use"). But the fact remains it's a survival game that gives us a wide selection of practical ways to not starve to death with ease. Heat blade may still deal less damage than a plastic dinner knife, but that's still something that lets me hop out of my prawn for an instant cooked meal.

After all. It's a genre where if you are given a store page advertising helicarriers and multi section excavator trains, the Devs first listing on their roadmap is "People were just drilling for water! So we just HAD to nerf water in worldgen lest people not worry about thirst long enough!". Something as simple as just saying "Water isn't a big deal when we want you to build a giant vehicle" is huuuuuuuuge for the genre.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 05:21 on Jan 3, 2019

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
The point is though, you can make food and water a triviality incredibly quickly, so why bother with it? It stops being any kind of worry after like 2 hours in, but I still have to turn the key on the back of the clock every 30 minutes for the rest of the game.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

The point is though, you can make food and water a triviality incredibly quickly, so why bother with it? It stops being any kind of worry after like 2 hours in, but I still have to turn the key on the back of the clock every 30 minutes for the rest of the game.
Yeah, that is entirely fair. As much as anything it was to encourage me to fill out my bases with more aquariums and appliances rather than stick with one big base and and making the rest a glorified storage closet.

I just found the fact the Food/Thirst checkbox had all the effort of a checkbox, for once, a grand novelty given the genre would take a T-1000 simulator and add a hunger/thirst meter mechanic during your hunt for John Connor the likes of which a caveman living in the ice age would reel in horror from.

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

"Federal regulations mandate that at least 30% of our content must promote Reptilian or Draconic culture. This is DJ Scratch N' Sniff with the latest mermaid screeching on KBLD..."

i started playing the game with the hunger/thirst meters on. i had to turn back every so often and go get more food, and it got to the point where i made dedicated food/water runs where i just did nothing but chase fish for like 20 minutes. that sucked.
then i turned it off and was able to actually devote a significant amount of time to exploring and finding poo poo and getting eaten by sharks all that other good poo poo the game is really about.

Microcline
Jul 27, 2012

Stuff like hunger is the reason that while I'm enthusiastic about the expansion what I'm really looking forward to is the sequel or games inspired by it that are designed and built from the ground up to support the things that Subnautica did well without being held back by all the weird vestigial bits. Basically the Terraria/Factorio to Subnautica's Minecraft.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
I have literally 2 storage lockers full of water and nutrient bars that i've picked up from various wrecks + 4 bulbo trees or whatever they're called in my cyclops.

Every time i'm hungry/thirsty I just hop back into my Cyclops and offload my inventory. What this game is really missing from the vanilla experience is the ability to unload/change the arms/modules of my prawn while its docked.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

dogstile posted:

I have literally 2 storage lockers full of water and nutrient bars that i've picked up from various wrecks + 4 bulbo trees or whatever they're called in my cyclops.

Every time i'm hungry/thirsty I just hop back into my Cyclops and offload my inventory. What this game is really missing from the vanilla experience is the ability to unload/change the arms/modules of my prawn while its docked.

You can get at the inventory and modules while docked, can you not swap from the cyclops?

mortons stork
Oct 13, 2012

Sulla Faex posted:

i have a great respect for the ocean and a healthy fear of all the poo poo inside it, and theres definitely a bit of tension but its super loving cool for that reason. like if youre afraid of heights, why not try a game where you go mountaineering or skydiving or whatever? it seems like a great opportunity

There is definitely a sense of wonder and constantly being on edge that makes this a really memorable experience in ways so many games simply can't. I definitely am scared of the deep sea, and exploring with a mixture of tension and wonder in this game has been incredible for me. I would also probably play something based on mountaneering, if it managed to be as engaging. Hell, I'm already hyped up for the expansion being underwater ice-trucker sim.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

I just got this and it looks cool, but unfortunately the game keeps crashing to desktop a few minutes in. There's nothing in particular that seems to trigger it - it's happened while reading the tablet, mining, or just swimming around. I've verified on Steam and updated video drivers to no avail. I meet the minimum specs quite comfortably. "Tech Support" on the website is just a link to a troubleshooting guide, which I read but found nothing useful, and a Steam forum which they claim to read but from a quick browse doesn't seem to contain any dev posts. I've posted a thread there but have little hope of getting any help, so I'm posting here too just in case goons have any helpful advice.

e: Okay so I took another look at the website and found an official forum that's not on Steam and not mentioned on the tech support page :psyduck: , one on which the devs actually post. I go to post there and

"Hi! You need to wait for one day and post 1 time before you will be able to create new topics."

For god's sake, who thought that was a good idea? It's like they want me to give up and refund

Wafflecopper fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Jan 3, 2019

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

You can get at the inventory and modules while docked, can you not swap from the cyclops?

In the cyclops yes, in the moonpool no.

Wrr
Aug 8, 2010

Dick Trauma posted:

I'm interested in this game but I'm sort of claustrophobic and can't swim. I'm going to wind up curled up into a ball under my desk, aren't I? :ohdear:

I've had a big fear of water in games for a long time (blame getting the crossbow in Half Life 1) and this game was fairly rough on me for a bit. But I got more and more comfortable with it and eventually beat it and loved it. Playing through it again right now. If you do really want to strip all the fear (and also at the same time a lot of the fun), go read the wikia and learn how the various fish AI works.

Start the game, tool around in the safe shallows for a bit until your comfortable. Slowly inching your way out of the comfort zone to go just a little further away from the pod, just a little deeper, is a intense and wonderful feeling.

A few things to make the initial game less scary: the big flat whale things with tendrils coming out of their backs that move slowly and lot out deep numbly noises are SAFE and will not gently caress with you. Sometimes on their backs they have some stuff to harvest, sometimes they have plants that shoot spikey things. They may look scary but they're not.

The stalkers, largish fish in the safe shallows and the kelp forest with a long, teeth filled mouths, may seem scary at first but they're more like playful idiot dogs. They will occasionally nip at you but I would hardly call them malicious. They don't really do that much damage anyways and the escape pod has recharging medikits.

If you're going to go towards the crash zone, use your ears and listen. If you faintly hear something scary that isn't the ship rumbling, look around for the source. If you loudly hear something scary, Good Luck With That.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
Okay, I'll grab it. What's the worst that can happen? :mrwhite:

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Ninety-nine ninety-nine ninety-nine

Pillbug
So I was trying to set up my Oculus controllers with the game, and I realized that I accidentally bound some of the motion or direcitonal controls to actions. It seems almost impossible to bind controls through the regular screen with the Oculus controllers because the motion controls are always working, so it seems to sometimes default to those. Or at least it seemed that way with the janky controls that I set up.

It'd be cool though to have "right controller facing up" actually make you go up while underwater though. Is there an .ini file that can be edited for this?

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

I am told that, should you manage to kill a leviathan, it does not respawn (except for the ones in the void beyond the playable space). I haven't ever really used the torpedoes, how good are they?

Mostly I want to set up a base in the Lost River without worrying about Big Boy over there.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Killing one of those is probably going to be achieved in two ways.

Status rifle cheese, where you shoot it with the rifle, then slash it roughly 20 times with a knife, then status it again until it dies, takes a couple hundred stabs.

The other way is the "grab on to the back of its head with the prawn grapple and drill its skull until it dies" method and is my personal fave. Only did it to the Ghostie boi in the river, but he literally wouldn't let me get out of my cyclops without beelining for me.

I use torpedos for smaller targets. The vortex ones are pretty good for getting smaller fauna to gently caress off.

dogstile fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Jan 3, 2019

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

I don't really fear the sea at all but people who can stomach having their main base anywhere other than the safe shallows disturb me.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Whorelord posted:

I don't really fear the sea at all but people who can stomach having their main base anywhere other than the safe shallows disturb me.

My big base is in the shallows, I just need a recharging station down in the lost river to make even deeper trips have a shorter turnaround time. Though I could set up a proper farm and everything.

I'm told that tamed crash fish can be loaded into a propulsion cannon as impromptu grenades.

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

dogstile posted:

Killing one of those is probably going to be achieved in two ways.

Status rifle cheese, where you shoot it with the rifle, then slash it roughly 20 times with a knife, then status it again until it dies, takes a couple hundred stabs.

The other way is the "grab on to the back of its head with the prawn grapple and drill its skull until it dies" method and is my personal fave. Only did it to the Ghostie boi in the river, but he literally wouldn't let me get out of my cyclops without beelining for me.

Ghosts are attracted by lights, anything that gives off a light sourse will distract them, they'll even chase stasis balls. You didn't happen to leave the lights on in your Cyclopes per chance? That might explain why it keeps making a beeline toward you.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

Whorelord posted:

entrance to the lost river, underneath that crab warper fucker, near the containment facility, is where i ended up finally putting a base down, ended up being a great spot

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Whorelord posted:

my first main base was about 250 meters down in the grand reef, very close to where the sea treaders are and less than half a kilometer from the entrance to the deep grand reef that leads to the lost river. i kept that one where it is and still use it occasionally as a recharge/restocking/recovery stopover in the event that i need to return to the shallower areas for resources, with my new primary base of operations being all the way down in the cove.

in a previous game, my main base was substantially deeper in the grand reef and was directly below a ghost leviathan, who i had to dodge every time i attempted to either leave or return home. that was a hardcore save and i intentionally placed my base there despite that fact because i like to live dangerously.

e: in fact i still have that save, i stopped playing due to being real busy with college stuff, and just started a new save this time because i wasn't sure what i was doing when i left that game all the way back in march. anyway i loaded it up and took a kinda crap screenshot of what i would see any time i'd leave that base

DEEP STATE PLOT fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Jan 3, 2019

mortons stork
Oct 13, 2012
Oh my lord I just made the Cyclops. Just when I think this game can't possibly get any better or surprise me anymore there it goes, getting better and surprising me again. This is the game changer holy hell.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

It's even better when you plug that chip in that lets you charge up in hot water.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.

mortons stork posted:

Oh my lord I just made the Cyclops. Just when I think this game can't possibly get any better or surprise me anymore there it goes, getting better and surprising me again. This is the game changer holy hell.

It’s really wonderful. All the game needs is something to hit you with eerie sonar pings. You figured out you can build stuff inside, right?

mortons stork
Oct 13, 2012
Already did put that mod in! I found a bunch of modules, like 4 of them while I was still hunting for the loving pieces of the cyclops. 4/6 mod slots filled out the gate, so satisfying

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

General Battuta posted:

It’s really wonderful. All the game needs is something to hit you with eerie sonar pings. You figured out you can build stuff inside, right?

sonofabitch, really?

I've just taken the cyclops out for 2 joyrides so far. Discovering than you can press C and Space to dive and surface was exciting.

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

Wafflecopper posted:

I meet the minimum specs quite comfortably.

Minimum specs required to get to the start screen and start the game, probably not comfortably. I was able to beat the game with minum specs but it really wasn't worth playing it with those specs. I got a better computer with twice the specs and it was worth it to play the game though a second time with a better computer.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Lockback posted:

sonofabitch, really?

I've just taken the cyclops out for 2 joyrides so far. Discovering than you can press C and Space to dive and surface was exciting.

Yup, you can build your own planter, battery rechargers and fabricator and whatnot. Just be aware they all suck power from those engine batteries, haha. Except the planter, obviously.

I wish there was a "nuclear sub" option for the Cyclops to run it off uranium rods, but we can't have everything.

Oh, and don't forget to turn the lights off. I don't think they drain batteries but they do attract attention of big monsters.

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

"Federal regulations mandate that at least 30% of our content must promote Reptilian or Draconic culture. This is DJ Scratch N' Sniff with the latest mermaid screeching on KBLD..."

I'm tempted to start my second playthrough and use the console to spawn a Cyclops right away and just live out of that. All the benefits of having a base, but you can move it around how cool would that be

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Speedball posted:

Yup, you can build your own planter, battery rechargers and fabricator and whatnot. Just be aware they all suck power from those engine batteries, haha. Except the planter, obviously.

I wish there was a "nuclear sub" option for the Cyclops to run it off uranium rods, but we can't have everything.

Oh, and don't forget to turn the lights off. I don't think they drain batteries but they do attract attention of big monsters.

Lol yeah I thought i was clever putting a power cell charger in my Cyclops

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

Lol yeah I thought i was clever putting a power cell charger in my Cyclops

You put three sets of powercell rechargers in you Cyclops once you get the thermal reactor, then only put some empty batteries in them once you're parked over a vent. Then you get to feel smart.

VVVV You do, but takes are fairly long time to drain the power in a Cyclops, especially when you start getting some of the power-related upgrades for it. For the time being, just keep a couple spare powercells somewhere on board in case of emergency and call it a day.

Back Hack fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Jan 3, 2019

DuffMayhem
May 14, 2003

Does it depress you?
How alone you really are
Until I get the thermal power mod for the cyclops do I just need to keep charging/swapping power cells to keep this thing going? I get it, but that’s pretty annoying. I just want to have a carefree mobile sub base!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

SugarAddict posted:

Minimum specs required to get to the start screen and start the game, probably not comfortably. I was able to beat the game with minum specs but it really wasn't worth playing it with those specs. I got a better computer with twice the specs and it was worth it to play the game though a second time with a better computer.

It runs just fine until it crashes

System Specs:
Video: GeForce GTX 1070 (driver ver 417.35)
CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3770K CPU @ 3.50GHz
RAM: 16 GB
>500 GB free HDD space