Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Queen Victorian posted:

So we consulted with the exterminator last week (they did not bring the dog :mad: ) and they'll be coming for the first of three sessions on Wednesday. Before then, we'll be working on washing/dry cleaning all the clothes and linens in our possession and then once cleaned, storing in bins away from the infested area. We will also be disposing of one of our spare mattresses and its box spring (where we initially discovered the bedbugs) after we seal it with plastic and duct tape and take it to the curb under cover of darkness so no one tries to scavenge it before garbage pickup (but if they do, they are idiots that deserve bedbugs).

Overall, it's a fairly mild infestation and should be pretty straightforward to eliminate.

Also, we jumped the gun and bought new mattresses last weekend, as we will be trashing our spare guest mattress set and eventually the one we are using now (aside from bedbugs it is a lovely mattress that I've always hated). Luckily, Original Mattress Factory (which is overall awesome) has a thing where you can buy the mattresses and they'll hold onto them until you're ready to take delivery. We told them it would be a few weeks and they said it was cool. Also, after testing all the luscious mattresses there, we went to bed that night and I became acutely aware of how incredibly lovely our current mattress actually is. Can't wait until we can take delivery of the new ones.

And we want to use this as an excuse to tear up all the gross carpet. Removes habitat for bedbugs (and carpet beetles) and it's old and shoddily installed and I hate carpeting. There's no hardwood underneath in these rooms, only the pine plank subfloor, but I find that to be an improvement. We won't be doing flooring in those rooms until spring or summer (so we can save up some and have the heat off so we can move radiators). Perfectly happy with just not having carpet until then.

Yeah bedbugs happily live between planks though so you're giving them more habitat. (They'll basically live in any gap. They'll only live in your mattress if it has holes or something. The reason you find them in your bedding is because they find you, their prey animal, in your bedding. They'll live in gaps in the bed frame though.)

e: I forgot Anglophones use 'mattress' to mean wildly different things but anyway :shrug:

3D Megadoodoo fucked around with this message at 15:25 on Oct 13, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Queen Victorian
Feb 21, 2018

Hmm good points. However, I should clarify that our bedroom has tongue and groove hardwood in it, so no extra floor cracks and no carpet to pull up. Other rooms do not, for some reason, and have carpet instead. At the end of the day, bedbugs or not, the carpet is horrible and we will get rid of it. Maybe after the extermination is wrapped up, but definitely at some point in the nearish future.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Queen Victorian posted:

Hmm good points. However, I should clarify that our bedroom has tongue and groove hardwood in it, so no extra floor cracks and no carpet to pull up. Other rooms do not, for some reason, and have carpet instead. At the end of the day, bedbugs or not, the carpet is horrible and we will get rid of it. Maybe after the extermination is wrapped up, but definitely at some point in the nearish future.

Oh I'm definitely not advocating for keeping wall-to-wall carpeting for any reason. Or infested mattresses.

Queen Victorian
Feb 21, 2018

Figure I should update, even though there's not much going on. First exterminator treatment happened last week, and according to my husband, there hasn't been bedbug activity since (I can't tell because I don't react). They're coming back next week again to kill eggs and stragglers, and then again to make sure everything is dead I guess. We had to do a ton of prep and cleaning and laundry, which sucked, but we gotta do what we gotta do to eliminate these fuckers.

Anyways, a tidbit that doesn't have to do with bloodsucking parasites: I randomly got curious about the build date on this house, which is ostensibly 1910. This house is one of a trio on the block, built from the same template, probably by the same builder and all at the same time. They have identical setbacks, identical decorative lattice on the back porches, identical or very similar layouts, and the other house that has its original porch has the exact same drop railing as we do. At least one of these houses has the same newel posts as ours does.

However, despite strong evidence that these houses were built at or around the same time, the other two have listed build dates of 1905 and 1901.

Then I looked at all the houses on the block - 1896, 1905 (trio), 1910 (our house, trio), 1901 (trio), 1905, 1901, 1901, 1910. The first and last ones are sort of different from the others, so I guess that makes sense, but the other six are one of two general templates, and look to have been built in groups after the street was built and lots subdivided sometime in 1895.

In conclusion, I think this house was built several years earlier than records claim. I've noticed build dates being questionable/definitely wrong a few times - our friend bought a house that was allegedly built in 1925, but then we went over and saw it and I'd put money on it actually being an 1890's vernacular Victorian, just going by architecture.

I think that's enough history nerd poo poo for tonight...

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

ok but what about your kitchen

Queen Victorian
Feb 21, 2018

peanut posted:

ok but what about your kitchen

Ugh peanut you are the worst and by that I mean you are the best.

I've been legitimately distracted from kitchen designing, but not distracted enough to excuse not having done anything on it for weeks or months or however long I've been procrastinating. I'll find my stuff (had to put everything away for dealing with the pest problem) and do something this weekend.

We did put a lamp in the pantry though, so we can find things in it after the sun goes down.

Queen Victorian
Feb 21, 2018

I'm very sad and rattled today by the synagogue shooting. Didn't get much of anything done today, and probably won't tomorrow. My old apartment, as well as three houses we considered buying, were in the cordoned off area around the synagogue. My old bus stop is across the street from it. I walked past it countless times and spent countless hours gazing up at it waiting for the bus. We are dreading seeing the victims list because we will probably know people on it. :( We are not Jewish ourselves, but it's just that type of neighborhood.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

:( :( :(

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

Queen Victorian posted:

We just closed on a Foursquare with craftsman detailing. I have been trying to track down the history of mine as well. The neighbors have a build date of 1911 for theirs and a postcard dated 1908 that shows my house but not theirs. So we know it was pre 1908. County says 1900 but the old courthouse burned down in the 20s and took all the official records with it, so all houses before 1920 say 1900 as a build date.

It's fun to track down the i do though. We know so far it was built for railroad executives who lived in the town. We are on a street with 8 other foursquare houses relatively similar.W

This is a great thread though thanks for sharing the journey.

Queen Victorian
Feb 21, 2018

Errant Gin Monks posted:

This is a great thread though thanks for sharing the journey.

Hey no problem! I like posting about it because in a way it gives me some external motivation for getting things done and having some accountability (as I post after two weeks of being too lazy to update (sigh)).

Been up to a few small projects while our pest problem is being dealt with (house is kind of in disarray over it - moved tons of stuff around and put clothes and everything up in the attic and ugh even though I don't react to bites at all it's just so inconvenient).

I cleaned up the upstairs parlor/drawing room/awkward chamber/whatever this room was and decided it will be my winter workout space. It's south facing and full of sunlight on rare not-cloudy days. I kinda want a little stationary bike for here.

Also raked so many leaves last weekend. We ran out of leaf bags. Yard isn't even that big and the trees aren't even done making GBS threads leaves (mulberry tree is still green :ohdear: global warming :ohdear:).

And we finally hung a second towel rack in the bathroom. This was pretty much the only place for it.

I've definitely complained about the unbelievably lovely painters the previous owner hired, and I've contemplated tracking them down to smear them with one star reviews because they were that horrible. Now I need to track them down to :murder: them because I started scrubbing out my epic Victorian laundry sink and there's goddamn paint and lumps of caulk in the bottom of the center basin that these stupid motherfuckers left behind and I'm livid.

Thankfully the paint layer seems to peel off pretty easily (that's some on the left that I pulled up), but I haven't yet dealt with the hardened caulk or whatever that crap is. I'm dreading what's on the inside of the pipes, but it drains well, so there's that.

And this last thing is from a while ago, but I don't think I mentioned it (at least I don't think I posted a pic). Anywho, the doorknobs for our bedroom door just up and fell out of the door onto the floor one day like something out of the Money Pit. I tried to put them back but realized the screw to hold the one doorknob to the shaft was all kinds of stripped and messed up. Also the shaft didn't even fit right into the mortise, so it couldn't really turn the latch. The inspector had noted that none of the doors worked very well, but he blamed gradual settling and doors being out of square rather than incorrect replacement doorknobs.

So I went to my door hardware boneyard and pulled out a knob set from thr to-be-stripped pile and popped it into the bedroom door:

Mortise works perfectly now and door latches.

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe

Queen Victorian posted:

always more

Queen Victorian
Feb 21, 2018

Crap been meaning to update for a while - finally charged my laptop so I wouldn't have to make update posts on my phone.

Qwijib0 posted:

always more

Okay. So I've been looking into refinishing/cleaning up the doors in my house. At first glance, it seemed like they were all quarter sawn oak.

Here's a pic I took of the hosed up bathroom door. It happens to show the lovely wood grain:

Nice, right?

Well, it's all fake. All the doors are fakes.

They're all made out of pine, and painted to look like quarter sawn oak. The technique is called graining. The giveaway was on the insides of closets, where the flecking looks like sloppy paint strokes (apprentice work, perhaps). My dad has a good line that explains a ton about the differences in design and building techniques in the days of yore and now - back then, materials were expensive and labor was cheap, while today, materials are cheap and labor is expensive. Now, you'd just make the doors out of quarter sawn oak. But back then, you made the doors out of less expensive pine and then paid an artisan to expertly and convincingly hand paint every single door to look like quarter sawn oak wood grain.

For comparison, here's the one side of a door that was never painted or grained:

That's the original pine. And it looks drat good. I"m impressed by how rich the color is and how not knotty it is. That's super good quality pine. I'll be stripping paint off the attic doors (which I think might have been painted from the get go) and hope to get them looking like that.

As for the grained doors, most of them are in great shape, but several have been painted on one side by the worst painters ever, so there's smudges and drips on the grained side that I'll have to repair. And since the graining is all paint, if I strip the paint, I strip the graining underneath, which means I have to re-grain them. I don't loving know how to do graining (how many living people do?). But I recently happened to stumble upon the manual:

House-painting, Carriage-painting, and Graining: What to Do, and how to Do it

This book goes into crazy amounts of detail about how to do wood graining for several different types of expensive/exotic woods, and goes into great detail about pigments (because you mixed your own paint back then), this strange and wonderful brushes you need to emulate various wood grains. I'm totally going to get into this. Gonna buy up a bunch of salvaged cabinet doors and practice. And I hope I can find a similar manual on marbleizing, because my marbleized slate mantelpieces were done by an amateur and the painted marble veining looks fake and lovely.

In other news, I think we might have a cat now.

I'd seen this cat before a couple times and figured he was a neighbor's cat (he's super friendly), but then on Thanksgiving, he decided he really wanted to come inside. The next week, a neighbor across the street asked NextDoor whose cat he was (she'd let him in from the cold and fed him). No one knows whose cat he is. Neighbor will try to catch him to scan him for a microchip.

And then I fed him.

And then I bought him a house.

If it weren't for my husband being allergic (he needs to remedy this), I'd have this sweet kitty inside where it's warm. I'm seriously wondering if the kitty did in fact come with our house - wouldn't put it past the previous owners to have ditched him when they moved out of state.

And further updates:
- Bugs seem to be gone (fingers crossed) and the new mattress we bought (and could finally take delivery of) is amazing and so much better than the foam piece of poo poo we had before. We had new mattresses in our sights, but all this bullshit spurred us to just get them bought.
- Kitchen as-built drawings are coming along - will be taking them to my pa so we can talk about the new design. This kitchen is so loving hard to find solutions for. I don't want to do disrespectful poo poo like brick in windows or knock out the stove chimney (which is too big to remove without massive headaches and a domino effect of other problems), so that leaves us with some ridiculous restrictions. If I were a kitchen designer, I'd fire me as a client because gently caress this kitchen. This is why I'm being my own designer. Luckily my dad is good at this stuff too and has designed and built several really nice kitchens.

taiyoko
Jan 10, 2008

If you haven't already, go ahead and put a bug-proof encasement on that new mattress as a future preventative just in case. I've also taken to checking beds at hotels before I even bring my luggage in, because dealing with those fuckers once was bad enough, I never want to have to do it again.

Queen Victorian
Feb 21, 2018

taiyoko posted:

If you haven't already, go ahead and put a bug-proof encasement on that new mattress as a future preventative just in case. I've also taken to checking beds at hotels before I even bring my luggage in, because dealing with those fuckers once was bad enough, I never want to have to do it again.

Yeah we bought encasements for the new mattresses and the exterminator provided them for the mattresses we didn't throw out. Not messing around.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Plz share your spergish ramblings about kitchen design, w pics.

Queen Victorian
Feb 21, 2018

peanut posted:

Plz share your spergish ramblings about kitchen design, w pics.

Okay here is the drawing of the kitchen currently:

You can see all the poo poo that's going on with it, like the three doors on the one wall, two of which lead to staircases, the chimney, and then the big dark void in the pantry (little nub room off the kitchen). I've now realized I've forgotten to draw the doors... Right now, stove is against the chimney and fridge is against the wall directly across from it.

So far, the main idea is to move the basement staircase (door in the middle) into the hallway and make it into a nook for the fridge, have the stove on an island (the chimney is not moveable, and we want to continue to use it for venting the hot water heater and use it for the extractor fan (don't want an ugly hole in the side of my house)), and combine the pantry with the greater kitchen.

Here's a terrible trace over sketch from a while back that shows the gist of what I'm thinking:

(It's rotated 90 degrees clockwise)

Basically, we aim to get a lot of space back from that pantry void. It's where the dumbwaiter to nowhere is. However, I'm starting to think it was actually a pass-through to a built-in in the dining room that no longer exists.

Here's a pic of the dining room wall on the other side of the pantry:

You can see the scars in the plaster from where it was likely patched up (first noticed them when we put that lamp there). There is also different baseboard in this spot, which I previously thought was the builders cheaping out and not ordering more of the same baseboard.

The existence of a pass-through would explain why the kitchen-dining room door is not a two-way swinging door. You didn't need it as much if you weren't serving/busing via the door.

This change must have happened pretty early in the house's life, since the patched plaster is still old school lath underneath. It could have happened in the 30's (this is when the bathroom was last redone), or possibly earlier.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Maybe too personal to ask-- I'm also a pitsburgoon, which neighborhood is your house in?

I used to live in Highland Park in the third floor of a victorian and I've always been super envious of those gorgeous houses. I think there was one that got condemned and like a year ago got replaced with one of those boxy prefab monstrosities. In the middle of a sea of beautiful victorians :smith:

Queen Victorian
Feb 21, 2018

We are in Point Breeze. My first choice in neighborhood was Squirrel Hill, but we couldn't afford it. We looked at a few houses in Highland Park, but those were far reaches in terms of affordability. The time to buy in Highland Park was ten years ago, so we were a little late.

Yeah, I completely hate when old dead houses get replaced by some incongruous modernist shitpile. I saw some seriously ugly poo poo in Highland Park come up on Zillow, too, so maybe I happened to have looked at the place you're talking about. There's a lot of that poo poo in Lawrenceville too. And near me, in I guess what I would call the Wilkinsburg side of Regent Square, there are some terrible 60s-70s developments that involved demolition of entire blocks of what were nice looking old houses. Now there are hideous brown brick blocks. Thankfully in our house's immediate vicinity, there is none of this, and a nearby block that was recently redeveloped was built up with cute traditional style houses instead of apartment blocks.

I'm worried about one of the houses across the street from me - it's a beat-up rental with glass block windows downstairs and a missing front porch, but it used to be a beautiful house (its sister next door was restored from a similar state and is gorgeous). I've caught wind that the owner-landlord is broke and will probably sell soon. I hope my restorer-flipper neighbor (the one who restored its sister and is presently restoring another house on the block) snaps it up and does nice things for it. I just don't want some "property investor" who would make cheap ugly "improvements" on it.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

I just spent three years living in Philly where every rowhome on the market was getting torn down and replaced with those gray Lego messes, so most of the stuff in Lawrenceville doesn’t bother me toooooo much in comparison

Except for one set of them off butler a little bit next to an empty lot, where the exposed side wall literally has zero windows or features. Just a big 40’x60’ gray void

I also hate the explosion of that style in East Liberty because it’s giant chunks of apartments and condos that take up a full block each

Hopefully that house doesn’t get turned into a cube or the fad passes before it gets sold or something

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
Ha. We have 4 doors in our kitchen as well. The double doors to the Florida room (used to go to the backyard) , one to the old servants staircase that is now a pantry, one to the basement stairs and one to the formal dining room but we removed that one (it was a swinging door) and now it’s just open. Which is better.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Kitchen hoods are so important and great, please value function over appearance if you have to make a hard choice.
All of our fans have external vents like this, about 15cm x 20cm (10cm x 15 cm in smaller rooms like the toilet). It's cute!

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Queen Victorian
Feb 21, 2018

So I was hoping to be able to respond to all yinz posts, but instead we got burglarized. Got home to a dark house and wide open front doors and disarray in the foyer. Neighbors saw me being distraught and came right over to assist, and I called the police and and my husband. Police cleared the house and we went in. Fucker stole our PlayStation (:qq: our Horizon Zero Dawn save files :qq:) and my 3DS (:qq: my pokemons :qq:) and my nice down jacket. Got in through a window we thought was locked (and had a piece of furniture in front of it), but not before trying to kick in the basement and kitchen doors.

Silver lining? This robber was dumb as gently caress and managed to leave stupidly immaculate fingerprints everywhere while also not stealing even nicer poo poo in our house that was pound for pound more valuable than the electronics (even the cops were like "wow this guy was a loving idiot"). Also he stole my lady jacket and I hope his punk friends are making fun of him for wearing my lady jacket.

:(

I guess we won't be dragging our feet on getting a security system any longer.

Ghostnuke
Sep 21, 2005

Throw this in a pot, add some broth, a potato? Baby you got a stew going!

Queen Victorian posted:

Silver lining? This robber was dumb as gently caress and managed to leave stupidly immaculate fingerprints everywhere while also not stealing even nicer poo poo in our house that was pound for pound more valuable than the electronics (even the cops were like "

lol, police still won't do poo poo

whalesteak
May 6, 2013

Ugh. so sorry that happened to you. If they catch him maybe you'll get one of those creative judges who will require he gives you all his pokemons in restitution.

Queen Victorian
Feb 21, 2018

Ghostnuke posted:

lol, police still won't do poo poo

Probably not, but also most of the time for these burglary cases they don't have sufficient evidence to make a case, but this time they actually did (along with Hollywood-perfect prints, the guy left his jacket in our foyer and took off with mine) so they called in the investigation unit right away. One of the officers straight up told me that they typically can't/don't bother to follow up for these cases or will maybe call in the investigation unit several days later if they have some downtime. Also before they realized how good the prints were he was letting me down easy that usually they don't find crisp perfect prints like in crime shows, but then later one of the investigation guys remarked that these were some of the best prints he'd ever seen.

So if they run the prints and the guy is in the system already, then that's awesome, but if he's not in the system, then welp :shrug:

We were able to provide the police with the PS4 serial number, so if he tries to pawn it it'll get flagged, and if he or anyone tries to play it online, Sony can provide an IP address and other info if subpoenaed. But if we can't recover it, it's just a video game console and can be replaced.

We are thankful that we were not hurt or threatened, there was no damage to the house or anything in it, and that he didn't steal any sentimental items or wedding presents. Or our computers. My laptop had been moved, so I guess he considered it and then thought better.

whalesteak posted:

Ugh. so sorry that happened to you. If they catch him maybe you'll get one of those creative judges who will require he gives you all his pokemons in restitution.

That would be hilarious. Luckily I had a newer game in the 3DS where I hadn't even completed the main plot or traded anything in. My good poo poo is all in my other games (that he rifled through but didn't take) and in the cloud. I'm more mad that I had like a hundred bucks worth of downloaded games on the 3DS that I'm not sure I can transfer to a new device. Will have to look into it.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
Happened to me once. It changed my whole home security mindset. I have full sensors on all 50 windows in my house, every door and motion detectors on all 4 floors and the garage.

I loving hate burglars. I’m sorry you had to go through that it’s awful.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

:(

Queen Victorian
Feb 21, 2018

Yeah it blows. But now it's a serial burglar - another house on our block got nailed today. Same pattern - found an unlocked kitchen door, went through all the drawers and stole change. Not sure if the other house is missing electronics (older adults there so probably no gaming consoles). We belatedly realized our change cup had been emptied. Most likely same kid looking for drug money.

Hopefully this will be extra motivation for the cops.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Errant Gin Monks posted:

Happened to me once. It changed my whole home security mindset. I have full sensors on all 50 windows in my house, every door and motion detectors on all 4 floors and the garage.

I loving hate burglars. I’m sorry you had to go through that it’s awful.

I feel a lot better knowing that my dog has a very intimidating bark. My aunt trains Dobermans and has two of her own. The only worry she has is the unspeakable mess she would come home to if someone was dumb enough to break into the house (getting blood out of carpet is a bitch).

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

Since moving to my new place I’ve left my garage door opened or my front door unlocked at least 6 times

If someone were to break in well they’d be in for a surprise when greeted with a very friendly cat who’s desperate for affection and will loudly meow at you until you pet him

And then probably follow the burglar home

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

lol :nyan:

Queen Victorian
Feb 21, 2018

Hey guys, been out west with parents for Christmas and going over drawings with my pa. He's been in high spirits lately so advice has been good and reasonable (when he's not in high spirits he'll basically just tell us to burn it down and that our house is a cookie cutter piece of poo poo lol).

Stove in the island is the way to go (there's literally no other way unless we demo the gigantic stove chimney, which would be a huge lovely job for very little layout gain and also lose us our combo hot water heater/stove ventilation stack), and otherwise, my dad thinks we're moving in the right direction. We need to start doing more detailed iterations so we can get quotes for plumbing, electric, and countertop stone and cabinets and stuff (pretty sure we'll be going with the Amish contractor, which means we need to spec the poo poo out of everything and procure materials). My dad also advocates tearing off all the walls in the kitchen so that when we block in electrical and plumbing, there are zero surprises. He also disagrees with doing piecemeal projects, but I can't help but think that he forgets that he was not occupying his houses while he was remodeling them. I don't want to put our only bathroom out of commission while we do all the bathrooms (would prefer to build second full bath before demoing the first one) for the sake of doing everything at once. It would save a few bucks but would be utterly miserable.

Oh yeah, house is fine - we got some lamp timers and hired a buddy to swing by every day and collect packages, feed the cat, and just be present.

And as for cops not flowing up? They've followed up twice (more details about poo poo that was stolen, also asked if our bathroom was, uh, trashed (no)). Prints didn't return anything (so kid without a previous history), but now if he gets arrested/fingerprinted for any other reason, they'll nail him. Not expecting to recover the items (dear sweet husband got me a new jacket for Christmas), but at least the cops are working on it. Also just learned that a car (left unlocked) was stolen from around the corner of our block (usually unlocked cars just get burgled), so spate of thefts in the area of late :ohdear:.

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.
Sounds distinctly like an unsupervised kid on Christmas break that lives in the area.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Sudden increase in crime in the neighbourhood just after the OP moved in; coincidence? :thunk:

Queen Victorian
Feb 21, 2018

Hey now :mad:

Anywho, got back to the house this evening and just kinda flopped into bed. Discovered another missing thing we'll have to report to the cops (Bluetooth speaker - was a pretty recent purchase so we didn't register it missing initially). We have several hundred bucks of electronics to rebuy over the next couple months I guess... sucks, but not having a PS4 or music downstairs sucks too.

Dollar amount of poo poo stolen doesn't get close to our home insurance deductible, so not bothering to do anything there (since the replacement cost of our house is so loving high, we went with the high deductible to keep the premium reasonable).

Also, dear lord have we become spoiled to the cast iron radiators - both hubs and I slept like poo poo in my parents' house due to the jerky forced air heating. Being all the way downstairs didn't help, but we'd wake up at regular intervals covered with sweat after the heat would start up, throw off the covers, and then minutes later be freezing cold again once it shut off. Same thing staying overnight at a friend's house (except worse - this house was also way too hot). MIL came to visit our place earlier in December and she actually mentioned how incredibly nice and comfortable the heat was. So if you have an old house and are thinking about central air or whatever and how it would be nice to kill two birds with one duct system and get some space back from the big ole radiators, think again because you'll be sorry.

Oh, and we've decided we want operable fireplaces before next winter. This would be a (hopefully) more straightforward undertaking we can hire out and have done concurrently with our other projects. The hope (lol) is that all we need is new inserts, chimney caps, and a good cleaning, but we're betting we'll be needing additional work like new linings and gas line plumbing and poo poo. Because that's just how things are with this house.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost
I've never bothered to get our chimney cleaned and inspected in the five years we've been here, since while fires are nice, they're a) kind of a hassle and b) end up losing heat overall. I've been considering installing a gas insert but haven't felt like dropping a few grand.

In good news, Tet Jr's lead level went from top normal (4 µg/dL) to the lower limit of detectable (1 µg/dL), so maybe we don't have to get the doorframes and doors all stripped and repainted! They obviously were encased two owners ago, but anywhere that gets bumped and abraded reveals the old paint underneath. If you want to blow through money, "comprehensive restoration of old windows and doors" sure is a quick way to do it. It would be cheaper to replace the old windows but it would decrease overall light, and full-frame replacement probably wouldn't save any money (though it would probably mean we could get rid of the storm windows).

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

tetrapyloctomy posted:

I've never bothered to get our chimney cleaned and inspected in the five years we've been here, since while fires are nice, they're a) kind of a hassle and b) end up losing heat overall.

Nah.

tinytort
Jun 10, 2013

Super healthy, super cheap
Tile stoves are awesome and gorgeous. Uncommon in the States and Canada, though.

Pros: set-and-forget, and they won't catch things on fire or go above 'comfortably warm' unless you're seriously dumb with fueling it. You can curl up and nap on them while they're running, or set them up for cooking, and they'll run all day and all night if you fuel them properly.

Cons: no off switch in the older versions, and takes a long time to heat up and cool down. Works by radiant heat - it dumps heat out through the tiles, and that heats the rest of the house. So rooms further away from it will be colder. And most of them run on wood or other burnables (not coal, usually, any more). Also, really uncommon in North America - I think they're more common in eastern Europe, generally, so finding someone who knows what you're even talking about (much less how to build or install one) is likely to be difficult.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

A thing of beauty, is it yours?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

A thing of beauty, is it yours?

Nah, I've got two but can't really get them on camera since I have, you know, furniture.