Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

extravadanza
Oct 19, 2007
We also just bought the COSCO Scenera for planned travel from IND to LAX with a 17 month old in January. I'm also planning on buying an umbrella stroller.

The milk in the bottle tip is pretty nice, we'll be doing that for sure. Last time we flew with baby she was barely walking and still on the boob. We lugged the big graco stroller and infant car seat attachment, which was probably necessary at the time, but now that she's walking/running around, they would probably just get in our way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

Killer Rabbit of Caerbannog

extravadanza posted:

We also just bought the COSCO Scenera for planned travel from IND to LAX with a 17 month old in January. I'm also planning on buying an umbrella stroller.

The milk in the bottle tip is pretty nice, we'll be doing that for sure. Last time we flew with baby she was barely walking and still on the boob. We lugged the big graco stroller and infant car seat attachment, which was probably necessary at the time, but now that she's walking/running around, they would probably just get in our way.

You also have to give yourselves at least an extra 20 minutes to get through security. We upgraded to Global Entry and used Clear, and we still got bogged down in every airport as they wiped down the carseat and stroller and tested the milk for explosives or whatever. And considering you will also likely preboard, so you can install the carseat, give yourselves a lot of time.

zonohedron
Aug 14, 2006

DaveSauce posted:

Any suggestions? The last time we flew was infant in arms and she was still breast feeding. For Christmas we bought her a seat, and I've heard all sorts of horror stories regarding the car seat. We have a massive Britax Advocate, but I've read several anecdotes online that it will fit despite any flight attendant's protests. I also found all the FAA guidance that says they have to accommodate us, but I still worry that we'll have to fight over the car seat... and given that it's holiday travel, I expect them to have short fuses.

Also how do you get regular milk through security? I checked the TSA site and they only list formula, breast milk, and juice (?). Regular milk isn't on there... we have several 6oz cartons of shelf stable milk that we'd love to bring with for the flight, but I can't see how to get that through security.

My horror stories regarding car seats mostly involve breaking fingernails so far down that I'm leaking blood onto the seatbelt. Otherwise flying with a car seat hasn't been a problem at any point; I have never even had to remind them that they don't have a choice about accommodating a paying passenger (your child has a ticket of her own; therefore she is a paying passenger, not an inconvenient pet!). You may need a seatbelt extender. If you do it's polite to mention that as you walk into the aircraft so one can be found for you more quickly.

Passengers are much, much safer in their own seats, whether they are under the age of two or not. You will have your hands free, your kid might nap, and your child will be enormously safer. Reminding myself of that made installing the car seat much less infuriating; it's like installing it in a taxi except instead of the taxi driver being impatient it's everyone else on the flight :j:

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Does anyone have any good methods for giving toddlers eye drops? Our 3-year-old has pink eye and the clinic prescribed drops, but she's so upset by them that I feel she cries most of the medicine out anyway.

skeetied
Mar 10, 2011

hooah posted:

Does anyone have any good methods for giving toddlers eye drops? Our 3-year-old has pink eye and the clinic prescribed drops, but she's so upset by them that I feel she cries most of the medicine out anyway.

We do them with eyes closed, which is a lot less scary. Our pediatrician said that the drops still get in there fine when they open their eyes.

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!
That works for adults too. My optometrist showed me that when I told her I didn’t like things in my eyes and said “I don’t know why they teach us this is just for kids.”

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Oh, that's great news.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

wizzardstaff posted:

That works for adults too. My optometrist showed me that when I told her I didn’t like things in my eyes and said “I don’t know why they teach us this is just for kids.”

I've never heard that ever. How is that not a widely celebrated method?! Gah!

iceyman
Jul 11, 2001

We've been struggling with feeding our 12 week year old for the past 5 days now and we're growing quite concerned. This is the first time she has really given us any real worrisome patience trying difficulty. She is formula fed with a bottle. Before this she ate wonderfully and easily took 4 to 5 oz at a time and would easily average around 24 oz a day. But for the past 5 days or so, her average dropped to around 18 oz. We're lucky to get 3 oz into her at a time. And feeding her has become an increasing struggle of patience. She turns her head a lot more from side to side. She fights the nipple with her tongue and almost refuses to latch. Sometimes she even cries in what seems like annoyance at our audacity to try and get her eat a little more. Is this normal? Is it just a phase or something? I don't understand what has changed and fear my child is not getting enough to continue growing. Diapers seem normal (several wet ones and 1 poop a day). General mood seems normal as well. She smiles a lot. Weight is hard to track with out an accurate scale, but we crudely estimate she possibly gained 0.5 lb in the last 2 weeks or at least maintained her weight.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

I caught the cold and I feel like poo poo. My wife and I don’t want our 2 month old to catch it, so I slept in the guest room and she’s been up with him all night and he’s in a phase where he just wants to be held during the day instead of being put down. She’s exhausted, I’m sick, and I feel horrible because I can’t hold him /change him/take care of him. I’m doing all the laundry and dishes and cooking/say to day stuff, but she just wants a few minutes alone and it’s impossible to give her that.

Tamarillo
Aug 6, 2009
I hear ya. My husband is sick and I'm in the same boat as your wife with our 6 week old clusterfeeder with bad wind. The only things that are helping my sanity at the moment are using the baby carrier when the heat permits so I have two hands free sometimes, and getting out of the house for walks with him in the stroller to get him to sleep when pacing isnt working (and also gives me a change of scenery.)

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

Cocks Cable posted:

We've been struggling with feeding our 12 week year old for the past 5 days now and we're growing quite concerned. This is the first time she has really given us any real worrisome patience trying difficulty. She is formula fed with a bottle. Before this she ate wonderfully and easily took 4 to 5 oz at a time and would easily average around 24 oz a day. But for the past 5 days or so, her average dropped to around 18 oz. We're lucky to get 3 oz into her at a time. And feeding her has become an increasing struggle of patience. She turns her head a lot more from side to side. She fights the nipple with her tongue and almost refuses to latch. Sometimes she even cries in what seems like annoyance at our audacity to try and get her eat a little more. Is this normal? Is it just a phase or something? I don't understand what has changed and fear my child is not getting enough to continue growing. Diapers seem normal (several wet ones and 1 poop a day). General mood seems normal as well. She smiles a lot. Weight is hard to track with out an accurate scale, but we crudely estimate she possibly gained 0.5 lb in the last 2 weeks or at least maintained her weight.

Do you mean 12 week old? First sentence doesn't parse for me.

Are you seeing a pediatric nurse regularly? I understand if not, considering the expense if that's not covered by your insurance, but IMO it's a very good idea to at least keep accurate track of your infant's weight something like once a week. There are standard weight curves to follow, and if her weight veers off course that's a clear indication for seeing a professional.

iceyman
Jul 11, 2001

Yes, 12 weeks. Sorry for the confusion. Too used to measuring life in years.

We had a peds appointment at 10 weeks and everything was good. Doctor was satisfied with weight gain and feeding. We don't have another appointment until the 4 month mark. We can look into getting her weighed again before that.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Hippie Hedgehog posted:

Are you seeing a pediatric nurse regularly? I understand if not, considering the expense if that's not covered by your insurance, but IMO it's a very good idea to at least keep accurate track of your infant's weight something like once a week. There are standard weight curves to follow, and if her weight veers off course that's a clear indication for seeing a professional.

I have a good kitchen scale https://www.amazon.com/Kitchen-Scale-Bakers-KD8000-Weight/dp/B00VEKX35Y that I can verify is calibrated and does basically gram level accuracy up to ~17lbs. Been weighing our newborn on it using a sheet pan with a silpat and tea towel to make a stable platform. It lets us easily trend her weight and DIY the charts, and it's dead on with the doctor's office.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

baquerd posted:

I have a good kitchen scale https://www.amazon.com/Kitchen-Scale-Bakers-KD8000-Weight/dp/B00VEKX35Y that I can verify is calibrated and does basically gram level accuracy up to ~17lbs. Been weighing our newborn on it using a sheet pan with a silpat and tea towel to make a stable platform. It lets us easily trend her weight and DIY the charts, and it's dead on with the doctor's office.
Looks nice. Ours only goes to 4000g so wouldn't cut it any longer. Even the cat is too heavy...

diapermeat
Feb 10, 2009

skeetied posted:

We do them with eyes closed, which is a lot less scary. Our pediatrician said that the drops still get in there fine when they open their eyes.

Nice! I'll have to try this with our guy.

We just grabbed one of our phones and put on Peppa Pig on youtube and he'd just stare at it.

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.
Our nearly 3 yr old son decided this past weekend was a great time to start throwing tantrums and pushing boundaries. :sigh:

Can't bring milk with to daycare? Stomp, Stomp, Stomp, Cry.

Tries to put on coat? Stomp, Stomp, Stomp, Cry.

Gets told to eat dinner instead of playing so he won't beg for snacks later? Stomp, Stomp, Stomp, Cry.

I figured this would come but it's just so stressful. I try my hardest to be calm but firm with him and it just hasn't helped.

At least he's rarely bad at daycare? :unsmith:

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002
I've got a version of that with a nearly 1 year old.

Put her down: Scream
Give her to Mum and walk away: Scream
(mostly our fault because she became used to it again) Not take her to a tit at night: Scream for an hour straight until we get up for the day.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe

Irritated Goat posted:

Our nearly 3 yr old son decided this past weekend was a great time to start throwing tantrums and pushing boundaries. :sigh:

Gets told to eat dinner instead of playing so he won't beg for snacks later? Stomp, Stomp, Stomp, Cry.

I figured this would come but it's just so stressful. I try my hardest to be calm but firm with him and it just hasn't helped.

Commiserations. For what it's worth, the worst of it was over once my son was 4, but hoo boy 3 was probably the toughest age.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Bardeh posted:

Commiserations. For what it's worth, the worst of it was over once my son was 4, but hoo boy 3 was probably the toughest age.

First time back to this thread after a few months and this post is quite timely, since my now 3.5 year old has been super challenging.

The worst is when I ask him to do something and he just smiles at me and walks away. I don't even know how to react to that.

skeetied
Mar 10, 2011

Irritated Goat posted:

Have you tried giving choices? It didn’t work for my oldest but it works like a charm for my current four and a half year old. Instead of saying no, come up with two or three things that are all good with you and provide a choice. Threenagers usually want to control things and it gives them control (but not really).

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker
We've been finding out the hard way about waking our 3 year old prematurely from a nap. Not at home, but on the road.

On Thanksgiving, we drove 30 minutes to my sisters and he fell asleep. Him at the prospect of snacking before the dinner or socializing with his older cousins. NO loving WAY. In my sister's bedroom for like two hours with my wife and I tag-team watching him. He'd start crying and being upset whenever we tried to lead him out. After about 90 minutes, came out and was as social as ever.

A week later my niece wanted to celebrate her birthday at a restaurant. Basically the same crowd as Thanksigiving. A brief nap in the car and I could not get him calmed down to go to the table so I had to leave.

On Christmas Eve we drove 4 hours to my wife's mother. He slept maybe 30 minutes early on and nothing else until around 20 minutes until arriving where she had dinner and other guests. Him at the prospect of eating: NO loving WAY. Once again, after 90 minutes he was fine.

The day after Christmas we went to a restaurant with my wife's father. He fell asleep so when we got there for lunch, once again, NO loving WAY. Once again, I ended up leaving my wife there and driving around with him.

The day after that, we went to my wife's sister's house to visit before heading back. He fell asleep and once again, NO loving WAY. He did finally break out of that an unlike the previous scenarios, we didn't really care about him causing a scene. Eventually he calmed down but mostly because my brother-in-law broke out the Legos.

What blows my mind is that these aren't strangers; they're family that he sees every month or two or less as shown in these examples. And at daycare, they loving wake him up to stay on their schedule.

In conclusion, IDFG my 3 year old right now.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

So my (now, today) 8mo old had been on a bottle strike it seems since we were in OK for Christmas with the family. He'd only take like half a bottle of formula or so, if that, before literally pushing it away, so we started doing 2oz bottles of formula so as not to waste what costs like $50 for a weeks' worth. It was worse at night. He'd take 3oz of a 4oz bottle, then cry and refuse to put his mouth around it again until settled. Around this time we had started mixing orange tub Enfamil with purple tub Enfamil because he was spitting up a ton, and then realized that the orange tub (specifically for acid reflux) was thickened with corn starch so that it would be even heavier. The comotomo nipples we have, even the highest flow one, don't exactly send that stuff out like a waterfall, so we thought he was getting frustrated at not getting formula fast enough. Then, we started sending oatmeal and baby food (fruits, vegetables) with him to day care so they could supplement what we give him at night before bed and now he gets food twice a day and more opportunities to actually eat vegetables.

The past two days he's had food twice a day, once with daycare and once with us. The past two nights he's slept amazing, the first night in fact he slept through the loving night. Last night he woke up only once, but he only just woke up this morning around 8am and we put him to bed at 7pm so he got about 13 hours. I'm not trying to jump to conclusions here, but is it possible that he was just ready to get more actual food in his belly more than once a day before he could sleep like our doctor says a 7-8mo old should, and/or is already starting to get tired of bottle feeds? When he was getting food just once a day here at home in the evening, he'd still wake up multiple times a night and need comfort or a bottle, and I told my wife I'm concerned that at 7-8 months he shouldn't be waking up purely because he's hungry. Yes, I'm gonna ask his pediatrician at his 8mo well baby appointment, but it got moved back a week.

Also, he's begun shifting around a lot at night and often ends up either on his side in the exact same position I still sleep even now, or on his belly. I had wondered if he would ever do this. Now he cries, shifts around, and goes back to sleep and my wife hates it because she thinks he can't breathe. I think it's great because maybe he will sleep better once he finds the position in which he's most comfortable.

It's just crazy how the changes are small and slow when they're younger, then around 5-6mo they are changing so fast it makes your head spin.

OneSizeFitsAll
Sep 13, 2010

Du bist mein Sofa

Cheesus posted:

What blows my mind is that these aren't strangers; they're family that he sees every month or two or less as shown in these examples. And at daycare, they loving wake him up to stay on their schedule.

In conclusion, IDFG my 3 year old right now.

It's likely that it's because they aren't strangers that he feels comfortable enough to throw a fit. Kids behave worse for their parents (and, I would speculate, close family they know well) than the likes of teachers/nursery workers because when they're with parents they feel safest and most secure. I know the behaviour is a pain, but it'll pass as he grows and in the meantime take it as a compliment that your bond with him is strong!

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

Looks like we are officially buying a house! Thankfully we will be moving out of our apartment around the time that we would need to start baby-proofing. One thing that I need to find is how to secure book shelves to a wall. Does anyone have any suggestions? Between our last kid and this kid we acquired some tall, wooden book shelves.

left_unattended
Apr 13, 2009

"The person who seeks all their applause from outside has their happiness in another's keeping."
Dale Carnegie
These things are usually for attaching shelves to a wall, but you can also use them or something similar upside down and screw them to the wall and the top or side of a bookcase.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Does anyone have an opinion on Happiest Baby ok the Block? My counselor recommended it to try to get our 3-month-old to sleep without being held, but one of the reviews on my library's site is... not kind.

Lord Hawking
Aug 8, 2002

SHUT UP!
SHUT UP!
SHUT UP!!!

Alterian posted:

Looks like we are officially buying a house! Thankfully we will be moving out of our apartment around the time that we would need to start baby-proofing. One thing that I need to find is how to secure book shelves to a wall. Does anyone have any suggestions? Between our last kid and this kid we acquired some tall, wooden book shelves.

I just installed a bunch of these for tall cabinets. We've also had them on several other pieces of furniture throughout the house and they all seemed to work just fine for the last 6 years or so.

https://smile.amazon.com/Safety-1st-Furniture-Straps-Count/dp/B000056W7R/?th=1

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

hooah posted:

Does anyone have an opinion on Happiest Baby ok the Block? My counselor recommended it to try to get our 3-month-old to sleep without being held, but one of the reviews on my library's site is... not kind.

Tends to work well, order I usually follow:

1. Stomach/side - sometimes, they just want to be held
2. Swaddling - often calms them down in short order for some reason
3. Swaying - walking around or other movement
4. Sucking - paci can calm them down
5. Shushing - tends to work near 100% with enough volume, but can get tiring over time

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

hooah posted:

My wife and I liked it and the 5 S’s were like gospel to us, at least one of them would work each time in combination with another to get our tiny monster human settled down

Proteostasoscopy
Mar 25, 2018

baquerd posted:

5. Shushing - tends to work near 100% with enough volume, but can get tiring over time

Doing it yourself is exhausting. We used white noise, either an app or an actual machine. It worked really well on both kids. Just match the volume of the white noise to the volume of their cry.

Chunjee
Oct 27, 2004

My daughter is turning 5. How realistic is it to get her reading before she starts school in Sept?

She's got sounds for letters A-G memorized at the moment.

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

You can do it as long it's something she is interesting in learning. There really isn't a benefit towards reading early other than "hey my kid can read now". My sister in law is reading chapter books to her 3 year old and she thinks she is developing some genius kid and not understanding the importance of beginning books and language acquisition.

I don't have the research easily available but a parent reading to a child on a daily basis is usually more important than early reading development.

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002

DangerZoneDelux posted:

I don't have the research easily available but a parent reading to a child on a daily basis is usually more important than early reading development.

With this in mind, how important (or not) is the variety of books? We have a fairly consistent collection but are not adding new books weekly or anything. Should we be aiming for a new book a week, day, every 3 days? (1 year old btw, might be asking for the future)

1up
Jan 4, 2005

5-up
I dont think variety of books is as important as consistently reading. At 1, fun things like texture, lift the flap, my first word books would probably hold the most interest

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

Heners_UK posted:

With this in mind, how important (or not) is the variety of books? We have a fairly consistent collection but are not adding new books weekly or anything. Should we be aiming for a new book a week, day, every 3 days? (1 year old btw, might be asking for the future)

As the poster above said, variety doesn't matter much at the younger age and toddlers love repetition so they will naturally want to read the same book over and over again. It's pretty awesome you are worried about not having a great variety of books and just caring about that sort of thing means your kid will be fine.

My classroom library is pretty drat extensive at about 1500 books and my 5th grade students love being able to read nothing but graphic novels if they choose to do so. I know the concept of graphic novels in the classroom isn't a big deal in European countries but here in the States it was not an acceptable form of literature up until a few years ago.

Otto Von Jizzmark
Dec 27, 2004

Chunjee posted:

My daughter is turning 5. How realistic is it to get her reading before she starts school in Sept?

She's got sounds for letters A-G memorized at the moment.

My daughter turned five in August and can pretty much just read anything now, within reason. I started teaching her at 3.5 but at 5 it should go much quicker about 20 to 30 minutes a day.

Alphabet then letter sounds phonics to books with simple vowel and sight words. Books progress with new vowel sounds snd sight words.

I like these books i used them teaching in korea. i think they progress smoother than the popular Bob books.
https://www.amazon.com/Primary-Phon...y+phonics+set+1

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

My kid learned all of his letters and sounds and was doing pretty well before he hit kindergarten, but had no desire to learn how to read. He's 6 now and halfway through Kindergarten and now he is really starting to be able to read as well as a kid his age can. If they are not in the mood to learn how to read, they will not learn. If teaching them at home is ever not fun and a huge battle, its not worth it. It doesn't mean they are a dumb-dumb.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

DangerZoneDelux posted:

This. Teach them to appreciate a good story well told, and they will be motivated to learn to read eventually. If nothing else, to be able to read their favorite book when you're not around. If they don't read fluently by the time they start school, so what? School is well equipped to teach them rote things like letters, sounding, spelling, etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

extravadanza
Oct 19, 2007

DangerZoneDelux posted:

As the poster above said, variety doesn't matter much at the younger age and toddlers love repetition so they will naturally want to read the same book over and over again. It's pretty awesome you are worried about not having a great variety of books and just caring about that sort of thing means your kid will be fine.

Send help, my 17mo keeps throwing brown bear, brown bear at us. I'm starting to bruise.