Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

tildes posted:

Who was this? Did all his soldiers crossing with him just hate him so they didn't pick him up?

Barbarossa.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
It also seems likely that in the event a peasant or levy army was involved, the nobles wouldn't give much of a poo poo how many of them died. Certainly, I doubt anyone was counting how many leek farmers got shot in the back by 'friendly' archers when they were told to go charge enemy lines.

So I'd guess there's a reasonable degree of uncertainty to take from historical accounts of deaths in battles.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

kingturnip posted:

It also seems likely that in the event a peasant or levy army was involved, the nobles wouldn't give much of a poo poo how many of them died. Certainly, I doubt anyone was counting how many leek farmers got shot in the back by 'friendly' archers when they were told to go charge enemy lines.

So I'd guess there's a reasonable degree of uncertainty to take from historical accounts of deaths in battles.

On the flip side of things the death toll could also be quite low if the lord is one of the first people to go because at that point said peasant levy is just going to go "well gently caress this, I'm going home".

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Deceitful Penguin posted:

I can think of a shitloads where they did, including those where they died as the enemy retreated

Don't lead troops lol

Plenty of kings died in battle, but off the top of my head I can't think of any who died during an enemy retreat.

Julian the Apostate died during a minor skirmish because he forgot to put his armor on.

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

I think the logical answer was the 68 year old man had a heart attack while crossing the river and died.

kingturnip posted:

Peasant levies weren't really a thing.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

You'd probably bring along a few peasants but mostly they'd be building and maintaining camp, digging holes, cooking the food, carrying stuff, and so on and so forth.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

kingturnip posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dYFGRD1T9wQ&t=6s

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Vengarr posted:

Plenty of kings died in battle, but off the top of my head I can't think of any who died during an enemy retreat.

Brian Boru, his son and his grandson quite possibly all died as king during the retreat from Clontarf. Boru was killed as he prayed in his tent by one of the leaders of the routed Viking army, Murchad was killed by a fleeing soldier while in pursuit, and his son Toirdelbach fell and drowned in the same pursuit.

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011

tildes posted:

Who was this? Did all his soldiers crossing with him just hate him so they didn't pick him up?
His horse would've kicked up quite a lot of silt obscuring his body from view so by the time the crusaders regained control of said horse and yelled across the river to troops that had already completed the crossing to determine that the king didn't wade ashore on that side either, it was probably too late.

Humans are incredibly fragile when it comes to water.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L0KTqPloUiU
Imagine this situation except the water is entirely opaque due to the army wading through kicking up silt, the victim isn't buoyant and sinks to the bottom immediately and instead of a couple dozen loosely spread out pool guests it's several thousand soldiers distracted by wanting to get from A to B through a river and preferably not get most of their stuff wet and/or lose it.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Asehujiko posted:

His horse would've kicked up quite a lot of silt obscuring his body from view so by the time the crusaders regained control of said horse and yelled across the river to troops that had already completed the crossing to determine that the king didn't wade ashore on that side either, it was probably too late.

Humans are incredibly fragile when it comes to water.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L0KTqPloUiU
Imagine this situation except the water is entirely opaque due to the army wading through kicking up silt, the victim isn't buoyant and sinks to the bottom immediately and instead of a couple dozen loosely spread out pool guests it's several thousand soldiers distracted by wanting to get from A to B through a river and preferably not get most of their stuff wet and/or lose it.

Barbarossa was thrown from his horse, though. I'd think an emperor would be quite noticeable even in a crusade, and someone would have seen him fall from his horse. It's probably simply that nobody could get to him in time.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

The heart attack probably got him before the water did.

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013

Funky Valentine posted:

The heart attack probably got him before the water did.
Yeah, heart attack -> fall from horse seems quite plausible

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

"Federal regulations mandate that at least 30% of our content must promote Reptilian or Draconic culture. This is DJ Scratch N' Sniff with the latest mermaid screeching on KBLD..."

holy god all the persian portraits are so ugly. knobbly noses, fat faces, literal pube-neckbeards. does anyone know a mod to fix this?

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013
So I never paid attention to how far east the map actually goes. Like, the Taklamakan desert not being on the eastern border should've clued in, but basically not paying attention. Basically the map is like 500-600 miles off from the old capital Xian / Chang'an, deep into Qinghai and Gansu.

Also this is why complete retinue control + good commanders is insane - this is without even narrow flank, just a straight up murderfest. No, China, you don't get to protectorate my protectorates.

70 LC / 30 HC results in these valid tactics

Nomads are super strong because of this, can setup perfect ratios.

lurksion fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Jan 1, 2019

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

lurksion posted:

Yeah, heart attack -> fall from horse seems quite plausible

Horses can get freaked out by all kinds of little things though. It's definitely plausible that the horse just got spooked by something and suddenly threw him. Getting thrown by a horse is serious buisness.

Charlz Guybon fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Jan 2, 2019

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

lurksion posted:

So I never paid attention to how far east the map actually goes. Like, the Taklamakan desert not being on the eastern border should've clued in, but basically not paying attention. Basically the map is like 500-600 miles off from the old capital Xian / Chang'an, deep into Qinghai and Gansu.

Yeah the projection gets kind of funky on the east side of the map so you don't quite realize how far across Asia it's actually going, because it's only about as wide on the map as Europe is.

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Yeah the projection gets kind of funky on the east side of the map so you don't quite realize how far across Asia it's actually going, because it's only about as wide on the map as Europe is.
Definitely. For reference, Paris - Berlin is basically the same distance (500-600 miles) as the edge of the map to offmap central China. It's really weird.

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Don't forget to show my shitposts to the people. They're well worth seeing.

Charlz Guybon posted:

Horses can freak out of all kinds of little things though. It's definitely plausible that the horse just got spooked by something and suddenly threw him. Getting thrown by a horse is serious buisness.

RIP Frederick Barbarossa, thought of ants and died

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

It's pretty fitting that the Third Reich named its invasion of the Soviet Union after a guy who died a really embarrassing death.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

Radio Free Kobold posted:

holy god all the persian portraits are so ugly. knobbly noses, fat faces, literal pube-neckbeards. does anyone know a mod to fix this?

Nah, Persian portraits are good. :colbert: You wanna talk lovely portraits, then mosey on over to Ireland or Russia, or Scandinavia after anyone turns 50.

That said if you want to change them, go to CK2/common/cultures, find the persian entry, and change graphical_cultures from persiangfx to arabicgfx (or whatever). This guy on the Workshop does a lot of small portrait mix-and-match mods if anything tickles your fancy, but a lot of his are changing things to Persian gfx, it seems.

EmbryoSteve
Dec 18, 2004

Taste~The~Rainbow

My blood sugar is gon' be like

~^^^^*WHOA*^^^^~

Good to know that the flooding thing is African Flavor. Not too big of an issue now as I founded and expanded the KB empire to the majority of the African continent and am making like 60-70g a month.

The play through is pretty fun as I've never stuck with a succession law like eldership. My dynasty is huge as I gave out kingdoms to sons like 100 years ago and they have spawned a shitload of members, and every time I have a new son I generally give him a county as my demesne is always like 10-12. And you just make poo poo stat family members take the vows to keep decent heirs. That means I get to try and eugenics high quality hiers and don't have to rely solely on my own direct progeny. Though there are so many dynasty members now a lot of them are getting married to each other and I am wondering how long until a lot of potential heirs are going to have the inbred trait.

Though trying to keep the heir you want nominated can be a pain when your current character just refuses to die. my last two rulers each ruled for almost 40 years and then one ruled for 69 (nice) years dying both dying in their mid 70s. the last 15 years of their lives I had to keep juggling heirs because the best options would loving die themselves due to old age in their 50s/60s or to an infection or something.

Worldwise I am about to snowball. It's the mid 900s and there is a large muslim hispania empire in the upper left of north africa that expands into france and a monstrous green Abbasid empire next door that controls almost all of persia, a large chunk of east africa, all of arabia, and is expanding into the steppes. Hispania oscillates often in power having equal troops to me (18--25k) and the green bloob has gotten so big at times their troop levels get up close to 50k. I actually spend most of my time trying to destabilizing these empires through antagonizing and assassinations, and raiding with like 10-15k troops to draw out similar sized stacks that I can jump and annihilate to keep their troop levels down. My chars have killed the last like 7 caliphs in both empires. I just Great Holy warred for Eygpt and won due to Abbasid numbers being low at the start of the war and making them march through my Unyielding religion's territory (quite a saving grace) to attrition them to levels I could smash.

Sunni is by far the largest religion in the world and Catholicism is almost completed extinct. Several Pagan religions have reformed on their own which I have not seen in a reg. non-shattered world run through.

A+ game so far. Would recommend a trip to central africa if you haven't tried it out yet.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
peasant levies were definitely a thing in some areas, it depends on the culture and how powerful the central authority was in the area. there's tons of surviving decrees from the middle ages in England demanding, for example, that all able-bodied men be responsible for the crafting, care, and proficiency in their own longbow and spear, complete with instructions on how to make them for marshals on how to get people to make that poo poo when they dropped by and found people slacking. also the census papers that would very suspiciously show a lot of adult men missing from population rolls shortly after a local or king got some new territory (which is highly publicized their own sagas). areas of pressure-cooker religious war like the iberian peninsula also had peasant levies because if the muslims came calling well that was a really good reason to get your rear end moving.

peasant levies were very much not a thing in west to central germany where lordlings would dick each other over with a couple hundred mercenaries pretty much constantly and the peasants knew drat well that if they were called to arms they could ignore it because they'd have a new ruler in another few months, and the areas were culturally homogenous enough that they knew nobody really wanted to kick the poo poo out of them that badly.

all that said the game kind of abuses the term 'levies' because obviously you get stuff like cavalry, heavy infantry, pikemen, etc from the levy system and you build poo poo like combat stables, barracks, etc to get them. if you are a cavalryman or a pikeman in the middle ages you are absolutely not a part time soldier. those are professional armies that serve the ruler on a full time basis. the game just puts them under the levy system because the game is complicated enough as it is thanks.

Soho Joe
Aug 11, 2006

the torment of existence
weighed against
the horror of nonbeing
Nap Ghost
I know I only ever post pictures of map painting but hear me out on this one

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Central Africa is pretty fun. I'm playing as the random Berber (?) looking but Hausa culture dude in the Viking Age start. I've become king of Hausaland, a hero in the warrior society, and have started expanding west towards Ghana which is now fractured by a bunch of civil wars.

Downside:
my son just died from syphilis and all my other kids are from their mothers dynasty. I need to knock up a concubine stat.

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.

Soho Joe posted:

That sure doesn't look like a skeleton in the top left corner though!

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about spending hundreds of dollars on Mass Effect 2 emoticons and Avatars.

Oven Wrangler

Cantorsdust posted:

Uh, that's very clearly a skull and crossbones in the top left corner, under the meatbag. Check and mate.

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

All the world's a stage I'm going through

Cantorsdust posted:

It's a skeleton hiding under some meat.

Soho Joe
Aug 11, 2006

the torment of existence
weighed against
the horror of nonbeing
Nap Ghost
As a devout follower of Bacchus, being alive is not only one big party, it is in fact a gift from the gods.

After you die? That's when you need to get serious. As a skeleton.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Soho Joe posted:

Have fun with the steppe. Buncha loving douchebags up there.

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

ELECTRONIC OLD MEN RUNNING THE WORLD

Eimi posted:

It's not even necessarily that my rulers die, it's how nonsensically the event occurs. If I have an overwhelming numbers advantage, AND I'm winning the battle, AND my character has a high martial score, how they hell are they getting the event where they are are all alone on the battlefield and just die with no other option? I would be more accepting of the event if it occurred when I was losing the battle or just getting crushed by superior numbers, the problem is when I have an army of 1500 and I'm fighting 300 and two flanks have already routed but oops you died. :argh:

Yeah, at the moment there's still not a great incentive to lead your armies into battle since you can die or be maimed too easily when your 10k doomstack is mopping up some light infantry but on the other hand, I often magically teleport away if I get lured into a losing battle. A bit more-risk reward would be good.

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

"Federal regulations mandate that at least 30% of our content must promote Reptilian or Draconic culture. This is DJ Scratch N' Sniff with the latest mermaid screeching on KBLD..."

Coolguye posted:

all that said the game kind of abuses the term 'levies' because obviously you get stuff like cavalry, heavy infantry, pikemen, etc from the levy system and you build poo poo like combat stables, barracks, etc to get them. if you are a cavalryman or a pikeman in the middle ages you are absolutely not a part time soldier. those are professional armies that serve the ruler on a full time basis. the game just puts them under the levy system because the game is complicated enough as it is thanks.

you could probably model this using the Retinue system. Rework all the buildings to provide retinue capacity (maybe retinue cost discount?) and make levies provide exclusively light infantry and archers to bulk out a force.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

Wolfechu posted:

It's a skeleton hiding under some meat.

A member of the secret skeleton society

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013

Radio Free Kobold posted:

you could probably model this using the Retinue system. Rework all the buildings to provide retinue capacity (maybe retinue cost discount?) and make levies provide exclusively light infantry and archers to bulk out a force.
Would also require a full combat rework, because mixing in more unit types is a net negative so you would never ever use your levies

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Soho Joe posted:

Things like this make me wish for more portraits/fantasy races and an easier map editor. I'd love to have a kingdom of man vs skeleton, the ancient rivalry born anew

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room

Doltos posted:

Things like this make me wish for more portraits/fantasy races and an easier map editor. I'd love to have a kingdom of man vs skeleton, the ancient rivalry born anew

The Mythos mod is okay for this, but the few times I've played with it the world has quickly become overwhelmed with zombies and/or vampires.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Doltos posted:

:same:

I certainly wish for more animal races, at least- how hard would it be to mod in some unicorns and lobsters or something?

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

CommissarMega posted:

I certainly wish for more animal races, at least- how hard would it be to mod in some unicorns and lobsters or something?

Well it looks like there's going to be more added eventually, if that New Years post by the CK2 team is anything to go by.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

lurksion posted:

Would also require a full combat rework, because mixing in more unit types is a net negative so you would never ever use your levies

A combat rework should happen anyway, because as is many cultural retinues are just bad because of the way tactics work.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

CommissarMega posted:

If you play as a horse character, there's a rare event you can get where you can take a unicorn's horn for yourself. It's a crown that when worn makes you a unicorn. Also, apparently if you're a horse and have the Conqueror bloodline, then your descendants can randomly become unicorns too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747
I haven't done much with random/shattered world, is there a way to do a mix of human and animal kingdoms?