Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Quake is okay.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
https://twitter.com/vectorpoem/status/1080650625090609153

That looks way better than the Doom one.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Well they just turned Doom and Hexen into the hottest Doom and Hexen retroclones of 2019

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Can they make some kind of upsampling algorithm for Hexens gameplay to make it suck less rear end

szary
Mar 12, 2014
Hot take: Quake sucks rear end, Hexen does not, don't @ me

JLaw
Feb 10, 2008

- harmless -
*pats szary on the head*

Sikreci
Mar 23, 2006

Hexen: Has a staff that shoots out ghosts
Quake: Doesn't

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Holy poo poo that looks pretty good.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

szary posted:

mods???

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
Beat Dusk...pretty fun and some interesting stuff in it. Feels like the later levels got a little gimmicky but I don't know that is a bad thing. I feel like I got a little worn down with it by the end but maybe I'm just old and my attention span is bad.

Can't say I'm a huge fan of the and now you're the bad guy! ending but I can't quite say why since I feel like it also goes with a kind of fun concept of the whole game basically being a test to see if you're powerful enough to take over from Jakob etc

Pathos
Sep 8, 2000

I think Hexen would have been dramatically improved with one class with 12 weapons as opposed to 3 with 4. By the end of the game the 4 weapon arsenal gets so goddamn boring. That wouldn’t help the switch hunting in the loving ice level but I didn’t hate that so much when I was a kid.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Sikreci posted:

Hexen: Has a staff that shoots out ghosts
Quake: Doesn't
There was actually supposed to be a weapon like that in Quake but they dropped it since they knew a ton of ghosts flying around would bog down network games. I think this was mentioned in the PC Gamer preview of Quake.

Sikreci
Mar 23, 2006

Okay for real though, all y'all that adore Quake 1, do you not get sick of the constant rain of grenades being lobbed at you for 30 levels? You don't mind the sad little shotguns? Every enemy in the game being a bullet sponge?

I'm trying to figure out why Quake gets so much love, it ain't clicking for me.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Sikreci posted:

Okay for real though, all y'all that adore Quake 1, do you not get sick of the constant rain of grenades being lobbed at you for 30 levels? You don't mind the sad little shotguns? Every enemy in the game being a bullet sponge?

I will admit it's largely nostalgia for me, but the crusty tetanus hazard aesthetic and atmosphere is a big component too. I haven't encountered another game that looks and feels much like it at all.

Plus it's just so fun to run, shoot and jump around. The movement is so slick and I love it.

Also anyone that says the enemies are bullet sponges are people that don't realize that shamblers and vores are resistant to grenades and rockets. The super nailgun takes them out pretty quick :colbert:

Edit: also, much like Doom, a major component of the gunplay is avoiding getting damaged. Everything except grunts use either projectile or melee attacks (or, in the case of the shambler, heavily telegraph their hitscan attack). Speed is just as much your weapon as your shotgun is.

Mak0rz fucked around with this message at 03:24 on Jan 4, 2019

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

szary posted:

of all the vile stuff I've seen in these hallowed forums

Pathos
Sep 8, 2000

Yeah, personally I prefer the “oomph” of combat in Doom compared to Quake, but Quake has an aesthetic that is almost unmatched in gaming. It’s this perfect combination of the NIN music, the way the lighting system works, the grittiness of the weapons / monsters... I dunno. I think Quake excels in aesthetic and movement compared to Doom’s pure gunplay and monster list wins.

The Doom bestiary is way, way better though. Especially compared to Q2 whose monster list I literally cannot remember.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i don't know in what universe the quake super shotgun is sad. the basic shotgun is the pistol equivalent, i'm not sure why some seem to not get that. also nothing is really a bullet sponge so i don't think that is being used correctly, especially compared to bullshit like the barons of hell in doom.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

chaosapiant posted:

I'll give it a go at some point and see how it is. I'm on an FPS kick lately. They used to be my jam in the 90s, up until Quake 2. That game was not really playable on my 486DX/100. Quake 1 ran around 15-20 FPS and felt fine because I was dumb, but then my friend's shiny new Pentium 66 upstaged me and I just played poo poo on Nintendo 64 for a while (and not any of the FPSs either.) I never got into any of the build engine games, or the Halos, CODS, or whatever else is/was the hot new poo poo. So now I'm installing and playing Quakes-1-4, all the Dooms, Duke, Blood, Shadow Warrior, Fear, Half-life, Unreal, etc etc.

My fondest memory when I was a teenager was playing Descent deathmatch with my friend over dial up. My son will never know the joy of "get off the phone mooooom! I'm playing a gaaaaaaame!"

Very cool! That's quite a bunch of cool games there. And I like DNF too.

On why Quake is so good, level design. The levels are a pleasure to play, to me just really solid well designed levels, great flow to traversing and exploring them.

Jose Mengelez
Sep 11, 2001

by Azathoth

Sikreci posted:

play arcane dimensions

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Heavy Metal posted:

On why Quake is so good, level design. The levels are a pleasure to play, to me just really solid well designed levels, great flow to traversing and exploring them.

Yeah, the level design quality is unmatched. Nothing else in that generation of FPS games comes close.

Jose Mengelez posted:

play arcane dimensions

Also this.

Sikreci
Mar 23, 2006

Mak0rz posted:

I will admit it's largely nostalgia for me, but the crusty tetanus hazard aesthetic and atmosphere is a big component too. I haven't encountered another game that looks and feels much like it at all.

Plus it's just so fun to run, shoot and jump around. The movement is so slick and I love it.

Also anyone that says the enemies are bullet sponges are people that don't realize that shamblers and vores are resistant to grenades and rockets. The super nailgun takes them out pretty quick :colbert:

Edit: also, much like Doom, a major component of the gunplay is avoiding getting shot. Everything except grunts use either projectile or melee attacks (or, in the case of the shambler, heavily telegraph their hitscan attack). Speed is just as much your weapon as your shotgun is.
The aesthetic is pretty fantastic, it's a shame it hasn't really been seen again outside of Q3A and its lineage.

I just recently played through Quake, beginning to end, for the first time (on hard, not nightmare). I didn't find it exceedingly hard, but it was a slog. Waiting for grenades to explode, ducking in and out of cover slowly whittling down those huge pools of hitpoints, it's time consuming and not in a great way. I think Doom might be more immediately gratifying? Things die faster, and you spend significantly less time backpedaling and dodging melee enemies for sure.

It might be better in repeat play. First play feels almost like survival horror at times, but now that I know where the quads are, it would probably be a lot faster.

Johnny Joestar posted:

i don't know in what universe the quake super shotgun is sad.
The universe where the Doom 2 SSG exists.

Jose Mengelez posted:

play arcane dimensions
I was going to, but after finishing the game I felt kind of meh on the whole experience and didn't bother. I'll check it out.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Johnny Joestar posted:

i don't know in what universe the quake super shotgun is sad. the basic shotgun is the pistol equivalent, i'm not sure why some seem to not get that. also nothing is really a bullet sponge so i don't think that is being used correctly, especially compared to bullshit like the barons of hell in doom.

Quake has no real super shotgun equivalent. The shotgun is the pistol and the super shotgun is the shotgun, but there’s no weapon that can really deliver that close-range, one-shot beatdown. Especially on nightmare, the super shotgun is just not strong enough to counterbalance the danger in using it.

In recompense, Quake gives you lots and lots of explosive ammo and gives you plenty of excuses to use it. I love the game a whole lot but I think the AD changes to its arsenal are exactly right: a use for the melee weapon, another tier of shotgun, and an alternate take on the long ranged powerful energy weapon.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Duke 3D is my fav for level design, kind of a midpoint between Doom and Quake, plus with the more qausi-real locations and cartoon charm etc. And a lot of fun to explore, really captured my imagination. I love Quake though, and of course Scourge of Armagon with Duke 3D's Levelord on there.

But in general, those two games are high up there for me. Medium sized levels with a few directions to explore, the twists and turns, such a unique and excellent artform. And a lot of Doom's levels of course.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Sikreci posted:

Waiting for grenades to explode, ducking in and out of cover slowly whittling down those huge pools of hitpoints, it's time consuming and not in a great way.

What? Why are you waiting and hiding? Dance around those chump rear end grenades and projectiles. You are the Muhammad Ali of this Lovecraftian hellscape and should take advantage of it!

Sikreci
Mar 23, 2006

Mak0rz posted:

What? Why are you waiting and hiding?
If I don't, I usually get shredded by the fiends or death knights around the next corner.

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

szary posted:

This is true.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Sikreci posted:

If I don't, I usually get shredded by the fiends or death knights around the next corner.

You can never fire too many grenades

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

Mak0rz posted:

What? Why are you waiting and hiding? Dance around those chump rear end grenades and projectiles. You are the Muhammad Ali of this Lovecraftian hellscape and should take advantage of it!

Lmao he's the guy behind the Polygon Doom 16 video.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Sikreci posted:

Dance around them; they’re slow and you’re fast and armed. This ain’t no cover shooter.

Sikreci
Mar 23, 2006

Gobblecoque posted:

Lmao he's the guy behind the Polygon Doom 16 video.
Hey, Doom 2016 is a totally different game that gives you lots room to move around, not a labyrinth of corridors.

Edit: Okay no, you're right. Playing Quake the way I play Doom is more fun. It's not nearly as health or ammo efficient since I die more but it is more fun.

Sikreci fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Jan 4, 2019

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I am also in the club that gave up on Quake, I dropped out part way through episode 2. It just didn't hold my attention for whatever reason. I think it really is too corridor heavy. My favourite levels were the ones that put you in a pretty big open space right from the start and let you just run around in it while enemies poured out of the walls at you.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

Johnny Joestar posted:

Thing is, though, making a weapon a shotgun (let alone a double-barreled one) carries a certain sort of expectation in a shooter like this. Doom and, for a more recent example, DUSK deliver on those expectations in spades, IMO. But when those expectations aren't met, people are going to be underwhelmed, and that's what happened with Quake.

I bet if you kept the quake single shotty's mechanics exactly the same, but the visual and name were "pistol loaded with snakeshot", people would gripe about it a lot less, simply because they wouldn't have gone in expecting more than the game was going to deliver.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
I've liked playing Quake but I inevitably get bored of it after awhile

Hexen has the best co-op and if you can't appreciate the game you've never spent weeks playing it with your friends during summer break only to have your co-op save corrupted when a family member picked up the phone

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
I also wasn't a very big fan of Quake. I just didn't care for the aesthetic at all, and when I learned that there were no boss enemies in the game other than the one at the end of the shareware episode, that was pretty much the nail in my interest. I did go back a few months ago and replayed Quake 1, finishing it for the first time, and I still didn't really enjoy it. The ambient-ish music doesn't help either, that could be a part of it.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Quake is good except for those loving purple blobs, it's just about the worst enemy design in every way imaginable.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

y'all are beyond saving, i'm sorry

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

SwissCM posted:

Quake is good except for those loving purple blobs, it's just about the worst enemy design in every way imaginable.

As much as I'm willing to die on the Quake hill, I will never defend spawns. They thankfully only appear in one or two maps throughout the entire original campaign.

I've played through Scourge and Dissolution only once nearly ten years ago and forget almost everything about them. Do spawns show up more in those?

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

These look pretty good but I don't like it, the low res pixelated graphics these old games had is covering up for a lot of missing detail and depth in the art. So even if you upscale it really well you end up with a sharp digitsed 90s 3d model look which always looked bad and would be better as a modern 3d model with depth and PBR. And it makes the flatness of the architecture really stand out when it was hidden sort of in the low res wall textures. Running a normal and occlusion map over the walls would probably help.

Goes from yeah my imagination can fill in most of this to yep that's made of plastic.

Flannelette fucked around with this message at 05:37 on Jan 4, 2019

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

Quake is bae

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Anyone ever play Star Trek: Elite Force? I remember that getting rave reviews back in the day and now it seems to have disappeared.