Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Cartoon Man posted:

When this happens it’s usually for ports?

Yeah, as much as we're all antsy for a release this is pretty good news.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

Every night he puts his hot dogs in the trees so the pigeons can't get them.

Boy, Castlevania Requiem is poorly ported/emulated. The sound effects are jittery as hell.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Dross posted:

Boy, Castlevania Requiem is poorly ported/emulated. The sound effects are jittery as hell.

Please don't admit to giving Konami money

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
The PSP version already had audio issues, particularly related to the dub. poo poo would desync really easily.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Dross posted:

Never noticed once

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Bloodstained is no longer supporting Mac and Linux releases.

Ronnie
May 13, 2009

Just in case.

Pureauthor posted:

Bloodstained is no longer supporting Mac and Linux releases.

That's a bummer for those 3 people who paid for that.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
God I thought I'd have a little fun playing rondo for the first time but I can't get past the stupid axe guy in level 2. It feels like flying enemies are either just above or below my jump attack too. Am I missing something or am I just too terrible at old platformers?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Rondo is one of the hardest classic 'vanias and flying enemies will input read to avoid your attacks like it's a freaking Ghouls n Ghosts game.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

I find its best to take care of flying enemies with subweapons, so the knife they give you at the start of Stage 2 is actually pretty useful for sniping the crows. As for axe-man, see if you can stay at maximum whip-length from it so you have more time to react to the axe throws. Failing that, you could always try an item crash?

Also, I'm not sure if this is possible on the PCE original/Wii VC version, but if you're playing one of the more modern versions of Rondo and you can remap the controls, I highly recommend mapping subweapons from Up+Attack to the R button or something.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
Yeah as usual, as soon as I make a post on the forums I figure out you can "attack" the projectiles to destroy them. Still really difficult but I'm taking my time.

dishwasherlove
Nov 26, 2007

The ultimate fusion of man and machine.

You can extend Richters whip length by a pixel or two by double tapping the direction you are whipping while you whip. You'll know it has worked if it flashes white. Handy for a difficult spot.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
The thing with rondo is, if you instinctively duck after getting hit, you reset your invincibility timer

Also i bought requiem knowing full well i basically paid 15 dollars for barely 2/3rds of Castlevania Chronicles, and holyshit it's been almost a decade since that came out

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

ExcessBLarg! posted:

I'm a fan of AV. Its biggest weakness is that if you don't backtrack to find all the power nodes then the end game is unfairly difficult. I think the back story had some promise, but all the lore/flavor text muddies it.

It's definitely not a game for everyone though.

AV had some neat ideas, yeah.

I liked the logs written by the bosses as they mutated, and the room where there's a few dead guys

then a pile of dead guys

then you enter the next room and it's just a mountain of corpses.

What was wrong with the writing though? I don't even remember it.

Cuntellectual fucked around with this message at 11:51 on Dec 30, 2018

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Cuntellectual posted:

What was wrong with the writing though? I don't even remember it.
The writing makes events of the story ambiguous. Part of the problem is that Elsenova outright lies to Trace, but the motivations for the Rusalki being against Athetos aren't ever explained.

The lore is OK, but it's unclear what some of it is talking about when Sudrans use different words than Trace and Elsenova (e.g., "old machines" being the rebirth chambers when I first thought they were referring to the Rusalki). I understood the lore much better playing the game a second time.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Welcome to 2019!

Bloodstained when???

:negative:

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Cartoon Man posted:

Welcome to 2019!

Bloodstained when???

:negative:

In before it's delayed another year :twisted:

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

"You've all learned something very important here: there are things in this world you just can't change!"
Barring some sort of game-breaking bug, I'm predicting summer.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.
Axiom Verge also has a really unsatisfactory ending and the final boss is a mess.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Jan 3, 2019

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord
I kinda liked the ending, but I'll concede that almost all bosses in Axiom Verge are a letdown though

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Axiom Verge is this generation's Shadow Complex.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Shadow Complex was great though.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Shadow Complex is a mediocre game that was vastly overhyped by people thirsty for more Metroid, just like Axiom Verge.

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

someone’s a grumpy gus today.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Shadow Complex is a fun game, though it is true that has lost a bit of its luster because there are some many quality indie Metroivanias out nowadays, unlike like when Shadow Complex first came out when it was pretty much the only game in town after the Prime trilogy and the handheld Castlevania games ended.

Accordion Man fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Jan 4, 2019

A Worrying Warlock
Sep 21, 2009
In other news, I've been playing Super Smash Bros. Ultimate recently and it's insane how well they've done Simon and Richter. The models and animations are beautiful and the moveset is great. Controling them somehow both feels like playing Smash Bros. and like playing a classic Castlevania, where you're constantly chaining whipmoves, uppercuts and secondary weapons to force your enemies into range before finishing them off. And you get to summon Alucard as an NPC to help you out.

Combine that with the way Snake is present, and it feels like Nintendo is taking greater care of Konami's franchises then they are doing themselves.

EDIT: Also, Richter just yelled at Kirby that he didn't belong in this world. :allears:

A Worrying Warlock fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Jan 4, 2019

Jagged Jim
Sep 26, 2013

I... I can only look though the window...
Pit's Paulina's Guidance for Richter even has Alucard making a cameo.

I don't know whether to find it funny or sad that Nintendo shows exponentially more love and respect to the Castlevainia (and Metal Gear) series than Konami themselves do.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Accordion Man posted:

Shadow Complex is a fun game, though it is true that has lost a bit of its luster because there are some many quality indie Metroivanias out nowadays, unlike like when Shadow Complex first came out when it was pretty much the only game in town after the Prime trilogy and the handheld Castlevania games ended.

Shadow Complex is still the only one that attempts to be Super Metroid instead of throwing in a bunch of unnecessary poo poo though.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

Sakurazuka posted:

Shadow Complex is still the only one that attempts to be Super Metroid instead of throwing in a bunch of unnecessary poo poo though.

I actually had an easier time figuring out my intended next destination in Super Metroid than in Shadow Complex, which is saying something.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I liked Shadow Complex (they just gave it away for free on PC a few years ago) but I played and beat the entire thing and kept thinking “oh man this game is really about to pick up, something big and exciting is about to happen” and then it was over with no pay off and I was like “uhhhh, I mean hey jetboots are cool I guess...”

but also the storyline is insultingly, breathtakingly bad.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Discendo Vox posted:

I actually had an easier time figuring out my intended next destination in Super Metroid than in Shadow Complex, which is saying something.

maybe it would be saying something, but i don't think i've ever gotten lost in this type of game as long as there was a map

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Phantasium posted:

maybe it would be saying something, but i don't think i've ever gotten lost in this type of game as long as there was a map

I didn't tend to get lost, I just couldn't tell where the game wanted me to go. In particular I recall being very confused about whether or not the game wanted me to cross a giant lake while under...I think it was helicopter fire.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

i mean, that's why they give you the lake for that, the bullets trail off while you're underwater

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

ExcessBLarg! posted:

The writing makes events of the story ambiguous. Part of the problem is that Elsenova outright lies to Trace, but the motivations for the Rusalki being against Athetos aren't ever explained.

The lore is OK, but it's unclear what some of it is talking about when Sudrans use different words than Trace and Elsenova (e.g., "old machines" being the rebirth chambers when I first thought they were referring to the Rusalki). I understood the lore much better playing the game a second time.

I think it was intentional that it was kind of ambiguous, it seemed to be going for the same sort of atmosphere as something like a Dark Souls game, where you had to infer a lot.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

:v:

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Iga is a huge a JoJo fan, but some of those are kinda of stretching it.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

pretty sure it's a goof not a legitimate theory

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

which part does Lament of Innocence line up with

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Takoluka posted:

which part does Lament of Innocence line up with

Steel Ball Run?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bonaventure
Jun 23, 2005

by sebmojo

Electric Phantasm posted:

Iga is a huge a JoJo fan, but some of those are kinda of stretching it.

aside from it being a dumb joke i'm pretty sure Igarashi only worked on two of those games

speaking of which, I bought the PS4 Rondo of Blood release and the game is much better than I remember and I rescind *most* of the bad things i said about it earlier in the thread.

I STILL PREFER DRACULA X THO DON'T @ ME

One thing that's striking me as notable about Rondo of Blood this time through is realizing JUST how much nostalgia-baiting there is in the game. I think it works, but back when I first played it part of my brain was like "this feels like a fangame where they're just putting in everything and mixing assets that don't belong together." And it's weird just how much of it there is and how quickly it comes at you, considering the series was only like what, 7 years old at that point?

I think the structure of the game is a bit of a shame, which is why I still prefer Dracula X. The stages outside the castle are short and feel undercooked, while simultaneously having a lot of the 'new' things in the game, whereas the castle interior route definitely feels more like the 'intended' route but is just, like, skeletons and remixed music from earlier games. Once you've found all the secrets, half the stages become useless on replays. I'd have preferred a more traditionally structured game where the outside-the-castle stages happened first followed by the big nostalgia blast of the inside-the-castle sequence. Speaking of which, where does the dock fit in, geographically speaking??

Bonaventure fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Jan 5, 2019