Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
If the game is preinstalled you're probably SOL but if it's a code then I'd post a thread in SAMart looking for a straight trade.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

If the game is preinstalled you're probably SOL but if it's a code then I'd post a thread in SAMart looking for a straight trade.

I've never used SA Mart before but this sounds like an idea worth trying, I'll give it a shot :)

Zibidibodel
Jan 10, 2012

Gripweed posted:

Please don't stand on your Switch.

But...but...I was already working on a scale app for it!

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!
Capcom Beat Em Up bundle is on sale for $16. Worth it?

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

BisterdDave posted:

Capcom Beat Em Up bundle is on sale for $16. Worth it?

If you like the genre, yeah!

Be warned:
Those games were designed to eat quarters. They are not challenging since you'll have unlimited continues and it shows that they are all around 15 minutes long.

I played a TON of King of Dragons as a kid and loved it. Now that I can brute force through it, I find it very boring.

Give yourself an artificial limit on continues or something.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Inzombiac posted:

If you like the genre, yeah!

Be warned:
Those games were designed to eat quarters. They are not challenging since you'll have unlimited continues and it shows that they are all around 15 minutes long.

I played a TON of King of Dragons as a kid and loved it. Now that I can brute force through it, I find it very boring.

Give yourself an artificial limit on continues or something.

Toss a quarter in a jar every time you continue, use the jar for... I dunno, whatever you want to do that’s achievable through accumulating quarters.

Amorphous Abode
Apr 2, 2010

We may have finally found unobtainium but I will never find eywa.

You have to throw the jar into a lake if you can't beat the game by the time the jar is full. If you beat the game, you can use the jar to buy the big ice cream for all your friends.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
Metal Slug is still great though even with unlimited quarters.

avoid doorways
Jun 6, 2010

'twas brillig
Gun Saliva
Arcade ports should have paid DLC quarters, for maximum profits realism.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Licarn posted:

Arcade ports should have paid DLC quarters, for maximum profits realism.

we call those microtransactions and have been doing it for years

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Your Computer posted:

we call those microtransactions and have been doing it for years

Double Dragon 3 arcade was the first to do that

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

So in hyperlight Drifter I got the four pillars up. Is the boss at the bottom of that elevator there the end of the game? I wasn't sure if it was a point of no return or not. A yes or no will do.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Looper posted:

eevee version sounds nice and all but i could never go on a kanto adventure without my buddy oddish

oddish is cool but for me it's more that bellsprout and weepinbell are abominations unto earth who deserve only swift annihilation

victreebel's ok, they can stay

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
Starmie is still my favorite. So geometrical and pure

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Imagined posted:

Metal Slug is still great though even with unlimited quarters.

Metal Slug is incredible though, I don't know if I'd say that for any of the Capcom beat'em ups.

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
There is only Oddish

https://twitter.com/grassy_art/status/985626957969788928

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Usually when I pick games back up I'll delete my save and start anew--partly to see what's changed in patches and updates, partly an old "oh lord what am i even doing" comfort habit from RPGs. I've got Mario Odyssey re-downloading right now, and I know they've at least added that balloon hide-and-seek stuff (that I never tried at all); anything else they might have added that would be seen from a mid-story run, or is it all postgame?

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
I think it's a lot of camera filters and outfits

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
For those who did the tape fix in the pro controller, did you tape over the contacts and add a small build up of tape over the dpad pivot or just tape the contacts?

I'm applying my third attempt of tape to contacts because button presses aren't registering regularly. I also have a small build up of tape on the pivot. I'm slowly exposing more of the contacts with each reapplication. If the dpad is still problematic once the controller is back together I'm thinking about making a thinner piece for the pivot.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

s.i.r.e. posted:

Metal Slug is incredible though, I don't know if I'd say that for any of the Capcom beat'em ups.

Both D&D games still own hard.

Blotto_Otter
Aug 16, 2013

Wildtortilla posted:

For those who did the tape fix in the pro controller, did you tape over the contacts and add a small build up of tape over the dpad pivot or just tape the contacts?

I'm applying my third attempt of tape to contacts because button presses aren't registering regularly. I also have a small build up of tape on the pivot. I'm slowly exposing more of the contacts with each reapplication. If the dpad is still problematic once the controller is back together I'm thinking about making a thinner piece for the pivot.

I tried both ways and also had problems both ways with inputs not registering. I tried backing the tape off the contacts further and it helped but there was still an occasional missed input. I eventually just gave up, took the tape out, and have been using it stock since then. I don't think my dpad is as bad as some others have described so it doesn't bother me in most games, and for the one or two games where it has, I've got a SN30 Pro I use instead.

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

extremely extremely pro snk game for the switch::: shock troopers!!! buy and play shock troopers!!! better than metal slug!!!! thanks

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

Wildtortilla posted:

Do the tape first and then add something to the pivot if you feel you have to. Mine just needed the tiniest amount of tape on the inside of the contacts to fix it.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
It's working and it's glorious!!!

Contact tape was not the problem. I made a new pivot half the width of the initial pivot and it's perfect!!

E: 20 minutes of Lumines and not a single accidental drop. :)

Wildtortilla fucked around with this message at 04:25 on Jan 4, 2019

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Zas posted:

extremely extremely pro snk game for the switch::: shock troopers!!! buy and play shock troopers!!! better than metal slug!!!! thanks

Cosigning this. It owns. I need to try the second one.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Finally got Katamari. What a joy this game is. I feel like an idiot that I haven’t checked out this series until now.

vlad3217
Jul 26, 2005

beer and cheese?!

yaaaaaaaaaaaaayyyy!
I grabbed a few things on sale over the holidays and I'm loving Moonlighter so far. For whatever reason the dungeon -> sell -> upgrade -> repeat loop really hooked me.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Zas posted:

I don't know if I'd say it's better but it does indeed own. Also I got Splatoon 2 because of the sale and fug I didn't realize how much it owned until I played it!!!!!

Also more FPS/TPS games need to adopt or add it's version of camera control.

Instruction Manuel fucked around with this message at 06:18 on Jan 4, 2019

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Wildtortilla posted:

It's working and it's glorious!!!

Contact tape was not the problem. I made a new pivot half the width of the initial pivot and it's perfect!!

E: 20 minutes of Lumines and not a single accidental drop. :)

Is this still a problem with Pro controllers? Jesus, I'm honestly surprised that Nintendo hasn't gotten in any deep poo poo for this yet, or at the very least, made any effort to fix it. $70 faulty controllers.

Parker Lewis
Jan 4, 2006

Can't Lose

I have just rediscovered my Switch after not really playing anything on it other than BotW and Mario Odyssey around their respective releases.

There have been a whole lot of sales in the past 2-3 weeks and now I own like a dozen indies and a few of the bigger games like Splatoon and Octopath that I had been wanting to check out.

Are eShop sales frequent throughout the year or is it worth stocking up further during these holiday sales? There are a few games I would buy on sale now if the alternative is waiting until next winter for them to drop again.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

enojy posted:

Is this still a problem with Pro controllers? Jesus, I'm honestly surprised that Nintendo hasn't gotten in any deep poo poo for this yet, or at the very least, made any effort to fix it. $70 faulty controllers.

As much as I love my switch the controllers are a huge letdown. They just don’t feel durable. The left stick on my joycons is making scraping noises and I’ve had the thing two weeks.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Really as much as I love the Switch as a platform, Nintendo poo poo the bed pretty hard with respect to quality control

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
maybe ya'll are just too hardcore for the switch to handle

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I’d agree with that. I’m on my 3rd pair of joycons due to drifting sticks.

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

i've had great luck with everything except of course the f***ucking pro controller d pad

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Did the Smash pro controller end up having a better dpad?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

SeANMcBAY posted:

Did the Smash pro controller end up having a better dpad?

Iirc, wasn't the D-Pad only a problem with the launch model?

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Parker Lewis posted:

Are eShop sales frequent throughout the year or is it worth stocking up further during these holiday sales? There are a few games I would buy on sale now if the alternative is waiting until next winter for them to drop again.
I would say it's of course no Steam and not quite on the level of PSN but eShop sales do happen more than everyone expects, if that makes sense? No guarantee the things you want will go on sale in the timeframe you're expecting and "on sale" might mean 30% off rather than 60% but yeah, sales come at a rate that was surprising to me, and cover both big first-party stuff and indies. Speaking for myself if I'm stocked up on stuff to play when something I'm ambivalent on goes on sale I just pass and wait for the next one.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Iirc, wasn't the D-Pad only a problem with the launch model?

I read it’s slightly improved with later revisions, especially special edition ones like the XC2 one, but it’s still a problem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Parker Lewis
Jan 4, 2006

Can't Lose

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

I would say it's of course no Steam and not quite on the level of PSN but eShop sales do happen more than everyone expects, if that makes sense? No guarantee the things you want will go on sale in the timeframe you're expecting and "on sale" might mean 30% off rather than 60% but yeah, sales come at a rate that was surprising to me, and cover both big first-party stuff and indies. Speaking for myself if I'm stocked up on stuff to play when something I'm ambivalent on goes on sale I just pass and wait for the next one.

Thanks; the games I picked up these past few weeks should carry me through at least the summer so I will just hold off on any more purchases and add interesting games to my wish list to await some future sale.

I am glad that deals on eShop store credit combined with game sales have helped reduce a little bit of the Switch Tax when comparing prices vs. Steam/PSN.

And though Switch is my preferred platform, especially for indies, waiting to buy a multi-platform game does increase the chances that I will get something like Celeste or Iconoclasts free through PS+, Xbox GWG or Humble Bundle and that frees up more $ for Switch exclusives.

Parker Lewis fucked around with this message at 08:31 on Jan 4, 2019