Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

The Kins posted:

Like "be roughly as fun to actually play as actually having malaria yet somehow have weird and often terrible people loudly and constantly scream about how innovative and amazing it is and holy poo poo you guys look at the grenade it's rolling down a hill I'm spurtin' here"?

Man you sure are mad about Far Cry 2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
Let's just all come to a peaceful agreement here, no one should buy any Ubisoft games.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

elf help book posted:

Let's just all come to a peaceful agreement here, no one should buy any Ubisoft games.

Well, The Settlers II: 10th Anniversary is technically a Blue Byte/Unisoft joint, you should let that one slide.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

elf help book posted:

Ubisoft has made a lot of good poo poo lately, so no? The AssCreed games have been great, Watch Dogs 2 ruled, Steep is... well, game wise it’s a bit lacking but it’s a great chillout sim. The amount of work they put in to getting The Division to realize it’s potential was pretty good, too. Goons love to poo poo on them because it’s cool to hate open world games at the moment but Ubisoft has their niche and they do it well.

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

I'm loving Odyssey at the moment, its the first AC game I've been able to get into. It feels like it plays more or less the same as FC3 though (only one I played), are they more or less the same engine and mechanics these days? (plus cool climbing)

Tewdrig
Dec 6, 2005

It's good to be the king.
A Fantasy General code for grabs: PTMEEA8F63A2821BQZ

Also I hadn't realized that the codes needed to be redeemed instead of added automatically to my account like the "free game!" button on GOG does. They expire 1/17. So if you did earn a code, you have to manually redeem it.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Tewdrig posted:

Also I hadn't realized that the codes needed to be redeemed instead of added automatically to my account like the "free game!" button on GOG does. They expire 1/17. So if you did earn a code, you have to manually redeem it.

That's because if you already have the game, then you can give it.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Mierenneuker posted:

Well, The Settlers II: 10th Anniversary is technically a Blue Byte/Unisoft joint, you should let that one slide.

My only Settlers experience was with IV and that was either buggy as hell, or something else was going on and I couldn't even finish the tutorial.

Are the Settlers games good? If so, which one should I go for?

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Another Everspace:

UDPBDE9D9B978A1CTV

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

genericnick posted:

Another Everspace:

UDPBDE9D9B978A1CTV

Hey, cheers!

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

I definitely would recommend Settlers II: Anniversary Edition. It has some tweaks in the soldier/combat department that alone makes (the tug of war from) the original (Gold Edition) obsolete. It’s a chill game, mostly about expanding your territory and setting up a supply chain with your settlers carrying everything around.

I can’t really chose between III and IV. They are definitely different from the first two. I did not play them growing up, just a bit in recent years. IV is a bit more user friendly, since III is still from the “you read the manual, right?” age. I think IV is also one they ended up porting to mobile ages ago.

I have not played V, from what I’ve heard it is not good.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

isnt ghost recon: wildlands ubisoft? that game is amazing imo

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Statutory Ape posted:

isnt ghost recon: wildlands ubisoft? that game is amazing imo

Yeah but the fundamental structure of the game is identical to Assassin's Creed which is identical to Far Cry. I have all those games and enjoy playing them, but there is An Ubisoft Open World Format and every open world game they make has to start with it and it's really obnoxious when you see it because it's makes every product feel obnoxiously commercial.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

Do those other games have a 4 player co op like ghost recon ? I would be down to check them out with my amigos if so.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

today I learned I already had Fantasy General from a previous sale thing, so someone can use this code :)

PTMEF9FDE1C6C8F2CP

Sivek
Nov 12, 2012

GOG is having a relatively big midweek sale and giving away a free game I know nothing about called Distraint.

Think this is the cheapest the complete Witcher 3 set has been. I played W3 way back when it was first released but was super burnt out by the end of it and wasn't interested in more when the dlc came out so maybe this is a sign to give it a try some time in the future.

Sivek fucked around with this message at 05:27 on Jan 24, 2019

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Sivek posted:

GOG is having a relatively big midweek sale and giving away a free game I know nothing about called Distraint.

Think this is the cheapest the complete Witcher 3 set has been. I played W3 way back when it was first released but was super burnt out by the end of it and wasn't interested in more when the dlc came out so maybe this a sign to give it a try some time in the future.

Absolutely do the DLC if you haven't yet.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

Sivek posted:

Think this is the cheapest the complete Witcher 3 set has been. I played W3 way back when it was first released but was super burnt out by the end of it and wasn't interested in more when the dlc came out so maybe this a sign to give it a try some time in the future.

That is the cheapest I have seen Witcher 3 as well, but I already have it... despite having only played the first one for 20 minutes.

I was hoping that Divinity 2 definitive edition would end up on super duper sale as I've heard nothing but extremely positive things about it.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

I'm eyeing the Divinity games on sale, what're those games like? I read they are like Diablo?

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

The first two are, kind of. Divinity 2 is a third person action game. Original Sins are isometric turn based. Dragon Commander is a lightweight strategy/RTT.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Kibayasu posted:

The first two are, kind of. Divinity 2 is a third person action game. Original Sins are isometric turn based. Dragon Commander is a lightweight strategy/RTT.

Dragon Commander also has a really fun political desicion game that effects the risk board. I really loved that game when it came out. The RTS part was fairly simple but being able to tear poo poo up as a dragon was another nice addition. One of my favorite games of 2013.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

It's really weird how Larian have just jumped from genre to genre. Thoughts:

Divinity 1 - as long as you are interested in a pseudo-diablo clone but with a surprisingly deep plot and detailed world then stands the test of time.
Divinity 2 - does not stand the test of time. Also a surprisingly detailed world but the gameplay is just bad.
Dragon Commander - Ugly In The Morning is fair to it. I didn't like it because the RTS was shallow but that's just me.
Original Sin 1 and 2 - fun and good turn based tactics.

It's telling that the only game they made a direct sequel to is the one that's just all round good as opposed to wobbly but with interesting elements.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Divinity 1 is Diablo combat crossed with Baldur's Gate-like questing.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

teethgrinder posted:

Divinity 1 is Diablo combat crossed with Baldur's Gate-like questing.

Agreed but dont get too excited because it isnt nearly as good or polished as either

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Well for $2 for both together that sounds like solid value

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

Also crank down the volume because Divinity 1 has voice "actors" however they are terrible, especially in the starting village.

quantumfoam fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Jan 31, 2019

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

I picked my gender + class in Divine Divinity based on how hilarious I found their voiced intro.

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Jan 31, 2019

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Mierenneuker posted:

I picked my class in Divine Divinity based on how hilarious I found their voice.

I'm a bad boy.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

THE BAR posted:

I'm a bad boy.

It could have been a decade since I played the game and I did not pick that character.

But I remembered.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Divinity 2 is good!!!

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Divinity 2 is good!!!

This isn't actually true. It wasn't true when it was released, and the review scores for the developer's cut are really a 'good faith and now it's not literally unplayable' boost. It has a mindreading gimmick. That doesn't make it a good game.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

It was bad on release but Dragon Knight Saga / developers cut is, you will find, Good

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

It was bad on release but Dragon Knight Saga / developers cut is, you will find, Good

Up until the very last mission in the expansion, I agree with you.
The last mission is a timed dragon-form map with massively underleveled dragonform gear and you probably forgot all about how to do dragon fights since playing the base game.

inscrutable horse
May 20, 2010

Parsing sage, rotating time

Mierenneuker posted:

I picked my gender + class in Divine Divinity based on how hilarious I found their voiced intro.

"I'm STRONG, like a MAN SHOULD BE!" still rings out in my mind every time someone mentions Divinity 1 :)

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Alchenar posted:

It's really weird how Larian have just jumped from genre to genre. Thoughts:

Divinity 1 - as long as you are interested in a pseudo-diablo clone but with a surprisingly deep plot and detailed world then stands the test of time.
Divinity 2 - does not stand the test of time. Also a surprisingly detailed world but the gameplay is just bad.
Dragon Commander - Ugly In The Morning is fair to it. I didn't like it because the RTS was shallow but that's just me.
Original Sin 1 and 2 - fun and good turn based tactics.

It's telling that the only game they made a direct sequel to is the one that's just all round good as opposed to wobbly but with interesting elements.

you forgot to mention L.E.D. Wars, philistine.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

double nine posted:

you forgot to mention L.E.D. Wars, philistine.

I randomly picked this up at a thrift store recently and I never thought I’d see anyone mention it, ever.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Fallom posted:

I randomly picked this up at a thrift store recently and I never thought I’d see anyone mention it, ever.

how was it? I don't even know how it came into my possession as a kid, but I was bad at it.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!
I liked Divinity 2 a lot. It was weird and fun but janky even back when it was released.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

lordfrikk posted:

I liked Divinity 2 a lot. It was weird and fun but janky even back when it was released.

:same:

I’ve always liked a good janky game though. Stuff like Divinity, Gothic, and Mars: War Logs have been better times for me than stuff like Red Dead 2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Ugly In The Morning posted:

:same:

I’ve always liked a good janky game though. Stuff like Divinity, Gothic, and Mars: War Logs have been better times for me than stuff like Red Dead 2.

:same: give me eurojank any day. they all kind of build on each other, its clear the whole european rpg market plays each others games a lot