Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

netwerk23
Aug 22, 2000
I spelled 'network' wrong.

Rukus posted:

A bit late to this, but I've used these in combination with fuse taps without any issues. It has a female USB port on it, so you can use the appropriate length USB-A to Mini or Micro USB cable to connect to the dashcam.

I've used a similar item before and it worked well, and you reminded me about the cam I had before the previous one - it used a mini USB connection but it wasn't 5V, it was 12V. The cig adapator's plug was also mini USB on the output side, but put out 12V on the + pin instead of the expected 5V. I'm glad I bench tested it before I used it someone else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Are they going to sink into wet cement?

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Nah it's still just compacted dirt there.

Craptacular
Jul 11, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GY_uG-jPLVA
Not mine, it was taken by someone else on a different discussion board I'm on.

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE
didn't mean to cuss..... :allears:

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

that's the fastest fire truck response i've ever seen

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Sagebrush posted:

that's the fastest fire truck response i've ever seen

When I got rear ended in my Ranger, I ended up stopping literally next to a cop who was working an accident on the other side of the highway.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

IOwnCalculus posted:

When I got rear ended in my Ranger, I ended up stopping literally next to a cop who was working an accident on the other side of the highway.

The dude who rear-ended you was probably busy gawking at the accident on the other side of the highway, so I'm guessing that situation actually happens pretty frequently.

God only knows why we need to slow down to 40 km/h when there's flashing lights on the other side of a loving divided highway, but we do, every single goddamn time!

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

PT6A posted:

The dude who rear-ended you was probably busy gawking at the accident on the other side of the highway, so I'm guessing that situation actually happens pretty frequently.

God only knows why we need to slow down to 40 km/h when there's flashing lights on the other side of a loving divided highway, but we do, every single goddamn time!

Probably. In the time the cop was processing us, two more similar wrecks happened, and when he went lights-on to help us get from the center median to a nearby parking lot, there was yet another.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
Emergency services should have a dude taking non-PII photos of crash scenes and posting them to an official internet page so our morbid curiosity can be satisfied without slowing traffic or causing additional hazards.

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

She was rubbing her ass all over my hands. They don't just do that for everyone.
Grimey Drawer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ElGjvUksa2w

Came across an S-10 the other morning that had a bit of a backfiring problem.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

God I remember back in the 80s backfiring cars were a common thing, with carb engines and leaded petrol before EFI and unleaded became popular. One of dad's friends had a L300 van that would backfire that badly it would blow the lid off the air cleaner.

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012

You Am I posted:

God I remember back in the 80s backfiring cars were a common thing, with carb engines and leaded petrol before EFI and unleaded became popular. One of dad's friends had a L300 van that would backfire that badly it would blow the lid off the air cleaner.

I remember this too, but then again, the car we had that did it also left a mental scar because the car caught fire from it. Apparently the previous owner had decided that the exhaust return was stymieing the ability of the station wagon to tow something. Also decided to have the carb run richer as well. End result was the exhaust return was only unhooked, but still fed back to the engine bay. This meant the unburned fuel vapor ended up hanging out under the hood. Entire a chance backfire that had the flames run that way back around annnnd, the car caught fire. Mom was the only in the car, but she was able to get out safe. And she only knew it was on fire because another motorist flagged her down and told her to pull over as the car was on fire.

This was also back in the days before certified used vehicles was even a thing. Oh those days.

qsvui
Aug 23, 2003
some crazy thing
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SBIs0BG1zPE

Shin-chan
Aug 1, 2008

To be a man you must have honor...
...honor and a penis!

spog posted:

If you get a cam, you get excited for the first 2-3 weeks and it rapidly dwindles once you realise how mundane your daily drive is.

And then sometimes when you review footage you get a little gem you forgot about.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bsP9-ZX7eUI

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Oops.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Shin-chan posted:

And then sometimes when you review footage you get a little gem you forgot about.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bsP9-ZX7eUI

Accurate title. The moves...eh.

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

She was rubbing her ass all over my hands. They don't just do that for everyone.
Grimey Drawer
Stopping in the middle of an intersection is the correct procedure for dropping your kid off for school in the morning, right?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CwHJgqlU4Bw

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

n0tqu1tesane posted:

Stopping in the middle of an intersection is the correct procedure for dropping your kid off for school in the morning, right?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CwHJgqlU4Bw

At 43 seconds is that some manufacturer camouflage on that car? Or just some weird wrap?

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice

davebo posted:

At 43 seconds is that some manufacturer camouflage on that car? Or just some weird wrap?

And the moment it showed up, the camera digitized/scrambled a bit. :tinfoil:

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

What was the car doing at first? I thought it was backing out of a driveway, but...?

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

NoWake posted:

And the moment it showed up, the camera digitized/scrambled a bit. :tinfoil:

I'm guessing that was the OP applying a blur because there was a minor in clear view.

Sagebrush posted:

What was the car doing at first? I thought it was backing out of a driveway, but...?

Making a lovely U-turn from the look of things. :10bux: on this is the parent who doesn't do school dropoffs normally and has no idea what they're doing.

Dave Inc.
Nov 26, 2007
Let's have a drink!
Parents do weird crap when it comes to dropping their kids off. In my last neighborhood I would frequently need to toot the horn to get parents to move their cars out of blocked intersections waiting for the bus.

They would just sit there. A wall of cars blocking the road. Unbelievable.

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

Grimey Drawer

IOwnCalculus posted:

I'm guessing that was the OP applying a blur because there was a minor in clear view.

Making a lovely U-turn from the look of things. :10bux: on this is the parent who doesn't do school dropoffs normally and has no idea what they're doing.

Correct on both counts. But, I'm betting this parent does this all the time. The red car parked on the side of the road was dropping a kid off too, but at least they were over on the side of the road, and not in the middle of the intersection with someone behind them.

The cops will come out and ticket everyone dropping their kids off here due to the no parking signs a couple times a year, and that scares them into going through the proper carpool line, but they slowly stop after a while.

That Mustang is a vinyl wrap that I see quite often on the way to work in the morning.

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

Grimey Drawer
Another genius parent this morning.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YIfSwUG9o6Y

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Parents on the school run are a cancer on the road

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

when I was a kid I walked to school, to avoid having to take the school bus

are there no school buses any more or are parents just unwilling to get their kid up and ready to go in time to catch them or what's the deal...?

18 Character Limit
Apr 6, 2007

Screw you, Abed;
I can fix this!
Nap Ghost

They're just tapping their car to shuffle themselves back to the library

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Leperflesh posted:

when I was a kid I walked to school, to avoid having to take the school bus

are there no school buses any more or are parents just unwilling to get their kid up and ready to go in time to catch them or what's the deal...?

Nope, there are still school buses. In fact, they run right along the road that silver car is backing out of to drop kids off at the school. It's separate from the carpool line though.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Is there a consensus on the best 2 channel dash cam under 500 bones?

Bonus points if there’s something that makes it easier to swap between cars (I’ll probably hardwire the DD but will want the option to swap the front cam out easily to other cars using the ciggy lighter as power).

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

bird with big dick posted:

Bonus points if there’s something that makes it easier to swap between cars (I’ll probably hardwire the DD but will want the option to swap the front cam out easily to other cars using the ciggy lighter as power).

I think the Street Guardian model is about $300, I have one and like it, though I smacked my rear camera with some lumber and broke it. It's only working as a forward camera right now :/ Their reliability and customer service is very good. Most other brands are pretty hit and miss, but some new ones may have emerged since I've looked at the Dashcamtalk forums, especially with that budget.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

For that money I'd buy 4 cheap cameras, one for each end of each car

Meydey
Dec 31, 2005

I just got a Rexing V1P Dual for $94 on a Lightning Deal on Amazon. Its no Blackvue but for under $100 it'll do fine.

Meydey fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Jan 17, 2019

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Caught one of the maint guys at my apts doing a booboo while I was checking the mail.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WuITI5p8rKs

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer
Not mine, but dallas.mp4

https://thumbs.gfycat.com/FaithfulBabyishCottonmouth-mobile.mp4

Don't think I would have let up on the horn from the moment I saw reverse lights.

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

Grimey Drawer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qq3RWGhTdrU

Yep. Just jump out into the middle of the street.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
Someone is going to die in that intersection. Probably a kid.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Seriously. I suggest you package up your collection of videos and send them to the administrators of that school. They need to blast the parents to knock that poo poo off.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

Leperflesh posted:

Seriously. I suggest you package up your collection of videos and send them to the administrators of that school. They need to blast the parents to knock that poo poo off.

n0tqu1tesane posted:

The cops will come out and ticket everyone dropping their kids off here due to the no parking signs a couple times a year, and that scares them into going through the proper carpool line, but they slowly stop after a while.

Beach Bum fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Jan 19, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Leperflesh posted:

Oh, I call the school from time to time to get them to do something about it. Their response is "call the cops".