Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Meme Emulator posted:

I still dont understand how people leave the grand line if they arent Marines. Or how Marines did it 10 years ago

through the redline

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Technology is pretty all over the place in One Piece world, but can be loosely pegged around the late 17th century (the Golden Age of Piracy, fittingly) with most more advanced technology being a specific exception, like the Den Den Mushis acting as telecommunications. Not counting the rather modern fashion choices. That said, technology does seem to be advancing quickly, and the fragmented island nature of the setting means things can progress very erratically. East Blue is definitely the boonies.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Rudoku posted:

4Kids changes that name for fun. Just like they did to "Trace". Someone in that company loved that name, because it pops up in at least 3 different dubs (Shaman King, Pokemon and One Piece).

I always heard they changed it because Ace and the Spade Pirates were a reference to playing cards and therefore gambling, which is a real stretch to make, but it's 4Kids so who really knows for sure?

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
Haven’t gotten much further yet but I just wanna say this series is wacky enough that I honestly thought for a second the huge whale was going to just have the grand line inside it

Demonicpoodle
Jul 9, 2012

Something inside me calls out passionately to the landscape I saw - the end of the sea of corruption to which you led me.

Kashuno posted:

It looks like they will finally have some marines that are recurring and cool to follow. Smoker and Tashigi seem like they will be recurring characters hunting the straw hat crew through the Grand Line, and it's cool that it seems they're setting up Tashigi to be a rival to Zoro. They did already do the thing with Hawk but Hawk feels like he is such a level above Zoro that he's not really a rival at this point but rather an aspiration. Tashigi meanwhile got dunked on by Zoro but has the potential to own him down the line. Also the smoke fruit seems like the first one that is really going to be a major problem for the crew. Buggy and Alvida exist but I get the feeling they are far more comic relief than actual threats ever.

The crazy sea creatures in the Calm Line were pretty insane. Wonder if we ever see more of the Calm Line. I'm guessing no because there are probably no islands out there. I cannot believe they are already going to the Grand Line and ch100 was titled THE LEGEND BEGINS like hot drat this has been a wild ride already and we are just getting started?! Also lmao that they broke their boat already just entering the mountain...If the currents push you up into the Grand Line how exactly do people get out??

That part's so goddamn funny. "Phew, made it to the 100 chapter mark."

First page: "T H E L E G E N D B E G I N S"

"Oh okay. Guess I've just been reading a joke until now according to the author."

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

Worried about the Funimation dub and Toei. They finished up Fishman Island back in May and since then there's been no news them getting Punk Hazard dub rights. Instead there releasing One Piece 3D/2Y ova which is fine but also Episode of Sabo which is a HUGE skip from Punk Hazard

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Kild posted:

through the redline

which is also only accessible from the grandline through the marines apparently. or a waterfall that flows in reverse I guess. the world government prob has public transit for this stuff, like marine ships specifically for civies entering/exiting the grand line

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
It comes up later on but not much of a spoiler that the Marines do have ships that can safely traverse the Calm Belts, they're pretty important for the WG to function as it does. But Reverse Mountain is still the most common way through. There's other ways, but not ones easily accessible to a rookie pirate crew.

It's not too much of a spoiler that the One Piece world is divided into quadrants by the Red Line and Grand Line, both of which are hard to traverse. The Red Line is apparently sheer cliffs on both sides all around the world.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

Sinners Sandwich posted:

Worried about the Funimation dub and Toei. They finished up Fishman Island back in May and since then there's been no news them getting Punk Hazard dub rights. Instead there releasing One Piece 3D/2Y ova which is fine but also Episode of Sabo which is a HUGE skip from Punk Hazard
I've been wondering about that too. I mean I know these things take time, but as far as I know Funimation has been completely radio silent in terms of Punk Hazard and beyond.

Sub Harrison
May 2, 2013

Anyone know if there's a chapter tomorrow?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

English Shonen Jump has the next chapter as coming out on Sunday, so I'm assuming so yes.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Demonicpoodle posted:

That part's so goddamn funny. "Phew, made it to the 100 chapter mark."

First page: "T H E L E G E N D B E G I N S"

"Oh okay. Guess I've just been reading a joke until now according to the author."
I think that was when they realized they had a big-league franchise on their hands like Dragon Ball, not something middle tier.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Nessus posted:

I think that was when they realized they had a big-league franchise on their hands like Dragon Ball, not something middle tier.

This. Things just escalated from there. It's still amazing how mundane Oda was about the whole thing.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
the huge story promises come immediately after too

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

Waffleman_ posted:

English Shonen Jump has the next chapter as coming out on Sunday, so I'm assuming so yes.
That will be the chapter that leaked last Sunday.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Oh my god Zoro dunking on all these Baroque fools on the cactus island was incredibly good and satisfying. It seems like these might be the main baddies of the early Grand Line, since they have a boss no one has met and I think there are more of them out there. I feel bad that Nami was like ALL MY NAVIGATION IS COMPLETELY USELESS and hope she learns to navigate the Grand Line in a good old fashioned way, but the way they do it now gives a good excuse for the crew to hang out on each island for a bit. Sanji being Nami’s willing slave owns. Usopp is pretty lowkey right now :(

I can’t believe Luffy painted the straw hat pirate symbol on the whale :allears:

e; how could I not mention the dude with the god drat hair guns what the hell this series has the wackiest enemies

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Cat Machine posted:

That will be the chapter that leaked last Sunday.

Jesus Viz, get it together

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

It’s kinda unlucky that their new day-and-date policy launched at the time of year where super-early leaks are more likely due to Christmas/New Year scheduling. I imagine the release gap for scans vs. official will close pretty tight going forward.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Kashuno posted:

Oh my god Zoro dunking on all these Baroque fools on the cactus island was incredibly good and satisfying. It seems like these might be the main baddies of the early Grand Line, since they have a boss no one has met and I think there are more of them out there. I feel bad that Nami was like ALL MY NAVIGATION IS COMPLETELY USELESS and hope she learns to navigate the Grand Line in a good old fashioned way, but the way they do it now gives a good excuse for the crew to hang out on each island for a bit. Sanji being Nami’s willing slave owns. Usopp is pretty lowkey right now :(

I can’t believe Luffy painted the straw hat pirate symbol on the whale :allears:

e; how could I not mention the dude with the god drat hair guns what the hell this series has the wackiest enemies

Oh it gets better. Are you reading the colorized editions or the classic B&W?

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Black and white which I thought would bother me but I kinda like it

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Cat Machine posted:

It’s kinda unlucky that their new day-and-date policy launched at the time of year where super-early leaks are more likely due to Christmas/New Year scheduling. I imagine the release gap for scans vs. official will close pretty tight going forward.

viz will never be faster than scans for super popular manga because those get leaked early. their new system is way better for less popular series like jujutsu kaisen tho. in fact, they've already beaten out scans for some of the weekly releases that don't get as much focus as a one piece or mha. world trigger just updated on viz's site and there aren't any fan scans for that yet afaik

this kind of break is terrible for them tho since, yea, scans will have been out for like a week before viz can update

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Cat Machine posted:

Oh, I didn't realize it was because the leaks were early. That's fine then.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Kashuno posted:

Black and white which I thought would bother me but I kinda like it

There's a digital recolor. Check it out if you ever get a chance. Ditto for some of Oda's Color Walks that include a lot of pre one piece concepts. One of my favorites was one of Nami weilding an axe and having a mech arm and leg.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
Chapter 440: "Fire Fist vs Blackbeard"

Oh poo poo, based on the chapter name, are we finally gunna see what Blackbeard can do?? Aww, Restaurant of the seas! I'm glad they're doing well! We get to see how everyone is doing! How nostalgic! Man, Luffy's dad is scary...Oh! Blackbeard is a "D" guy, too! I'm not sure what all that means, but everyone important seems to have it in their name. Ohh, Blackbeard is made out of... Darkness?? That's weird. Apparently it's super strong, though!

Ohhh fuuuuck it is super strong. Darkness is misleading, it's more like a void! AND HE CAN DISABLE DEVIL FRUIT POWERS, FUUUUCK. Oh man, did Ace make it out of there alive? What happened??

Back to the gang! They found a barrel! Ah crap, I bet now they're gunna get hunted down or some poo poo. A GHOST SHIP! AND AN ACTUAL SKELETON! Oh, he seems very friendly. I like his hair! AND HE TELLS SKELETON PUNS, HOLY poo poo. Hahahahaha "JOIN MY CREW!" "I'd love to." He can't stick around, can he? We just got a new crew member! There's gotta be some catch, like he's secretly evil or can't leave his boat or something.

SKULL JOKE! Please oh please let Brook become an actual crew member. Huh, his shadow was stolen? LUFFY GO GET HIS SHADOW BACK SO HE CAN JOIN FOR REALSIES! Aww, he's so happy that he finally got to meet people. A MUSICIAN! LUFFY CAN FINALLY GET HIS MUSICIAN!!! Thriller Bark, huh? I knew that barrel was a trap!

MINI-MERRY!! Did Franky Salvage Merry's head or something? Whoa, is a ghost attacking the crew? Or someone with the power of invisibility?

So this dude's a famous doctor? Chopper looks so excited! ZOMBIES!

And now a girl throwing plates? Is this some Japanese horror trope? Oh, no, it's just her shtick. Oh God, Hogback is a real weird lookin dude. drat this bath scene is real unsettling.

Lmao HEY OLD TREE GUY AND UNICORN, WANNA JOIN MY CREW? I love Luffy so much. I hope Brook comes back and wasn't just some throwaway dude, he was fantastic. The whole mansion is coming alive!

Aww, the ghosts make people depressed! Negative! Negative! Unless, they control emotions in general? Are there ones that say Positive Positive? Seems to wear off fairly quickly, at least. Oh my god I love Luffy just pushing the zombie into the ground. OH poo poo ANOTHER WARLORD! Gecko Moria...

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

CodfishCartographer posted:

Aww, the ghosts make people depressed! Negative! Negative! Unless, they control emotions in general? Are there ones that say Positive Positive? Seems to wear off fairly quickly, at least.

Yes, you're almost there...

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Of course I should've realized beating the hair gun guy was not the end of cactus island. god damnit luffy.

Demonicpoodle
Jul 9, 2012

Something inside me calls out passionately to the landscape I saw - the end of the sea of corruption to which you led me.

Chapter 440: "Fire Fist vs Blackbeard"

Oh poo poo, based on the chapter name, are we finally gunna see what Blackbeard can do?? Aww, Restaurant of the seas! I'm glad they're doing well! We get to see how everyone is doing! How nostalgic! Man, Luffy's dad is scary...Oh! Blackbeard is a "D" guy, too! I'm not sure what all that means, but everyone important seems to have it in their name. Ohh, Blackbeard is made out of... Darkness?? That's weird. Apparently it's super strong, though!

Ohhh fuuuuck it is super strong. Darkness is misleading, it's more like a void! AND HE CAN DISABLE DEVIL FRUIT POWERS, FUUUUCK. Oh man, did Ace make it out of there alive? What happened??

This is one D you may want to pay particular attention to. ;) He may seem a little different from other ones.

It's super gratifying that everyone got a bounty at this point, and we got an around-the-world reaction series. Even filled with intrigue, since Dragon was shown. Saying a rather massive quote for the theme of the series.

The darkness fruit is insane, with it Blackbeard is in a class of his own. The cool thing is he does have an obvious weakness though, he takes severe physical damage because of the nature of the fruit. Blackbeard's raw punches fuggin' hurt too, which is rather frightening. Ace noted that he nearly broke his neck.

That Brook guy's gone unfortunately, truly wasted potential.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
I didn't point this out in my post, but I loved Usopp going NO ZOMBIES AREN'T REAL THEY WERE JUST PEOPLE LIVING UNDERGROUND IN A GRAVEYARD. It makes me think Usopp is like, a weird truther. "Hey, Luffy! Did you know that Enel never really landed on the moon? It was faked!!"

Also my girlfriend pointed out that Ace's belt is super long and wraps around his waist. Now I can only imagine he found it in a sketchy gift shop, and the only belts in his size had B or K belt buckles or some poo poo. The A belt buckles were only available in XL, but Ace wasn't gunna let that stop him!

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

I didn't point this out in my post, but I loved Usopp going NO ZOMBIES AREN'T REAL THEY WERE JUST PEOPLE LIVING UNDERGROUND IN A GRAVEYARD. It makes me think Usopp is like, a weird truther. "Hey, Luffy! Did you know that Enel never really landed on the moon? It was faked!!"

Also my girlfriend pointed out that Ace's belt is super long and wraps around his waist. Now I can only imagine he found it in a sketchy gift shop, and the only belts in his size had B or K belt buckles or some poo poo. The A belt buckles were only available in XL, but Ace wasn't gunna let that stop him!

Well Asce doesnt pay a lot of attention when making purchases

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
You guys are real mean. Oars Jr made the smallest belt he could for his buddy.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

https://www.crunchyroll.com/anime-n...cr_twitter_news

THE OUTFITS

THE POSTER

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

victoria concordia crescit
Is this how Oda whets his mecha appetite until One Piece ends?

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

Shoren posted:

Is this how Oda whets his mecha appetite until One Piece ends?

"Ends"?

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Usopp! How could you do that to Chopper’s mom?

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

diamond WEAPON looking good.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Green Intern posted:

Usopp! How could you do that to Chopper’s mom?

Those are clearly moose antlers. Not all cervidae look the same.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

the eyepatch finally appears........

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

So does Oda have the same level of involvement he did on Strong World and film Z? Or does he usually do character designs but is otherwise fairly hands off?

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
I thought he helped with Film Gold too, which would make him bowing out kinda weird at this point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

We don't really know much about who's working on it yet, but I'd imagine he'd have about the same level of involvement as Z and Gold, which would be coming up with the concept and executive producing, especially since this movie is for the anime's anniversary.