Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

Jymre just casually strolling away from the carnage and picking his old life up where he left off was loving hilarious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

Brain chip ended with the entire world becoming immortal beings living in a post-scarcity utopia under a god who's best interest is making the people happy. That's pretty good for endings

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Terror Sweat posted:

Brain chip ended with the entire world becoming immortal beings living in a post-scarcity utopia under a god who's best interest is making the people happy. That's pretty good for endings

While I agree, it's worth noting that they weren't all immortal (because Aisha was concerned about overpopulation in the long term, and presumably didn't want to wind up at a scenario where she had an immortal over-caste faced with a new generation centuries down the line who couldn't practically be granted immortality). She just practised a doctrine of life extension instead, and encouraged people not to procreate so that she could extend their lives further. Notably, she didn't enforce that as a law, just told them that the less babies they had, the longer she'd be able to make everyone's lives.

It's a pretty happy ending, the world is saved and a demi-utopia is ushered in, but Aisha's new world still has problems and scarcity. Just far fewer of them, because the prime complaints against her seem to be, "we want immortality and we know you could give it to us, but you won't", and, "I don't like that you're a benevolent dictator who monitors our happiness levels remotely". While valid, they're less pressing than things like "starvation" and "war" and "premature death", which seem to have been totally eliminated.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

Terror Sweat posted:

that is not really the message I took away from that story

ChairMaster
Aug 22, 2009

by R. Guyovich
As far as the question of what would happen in a world where someone has access to more brain power and knowledge than the entirety of the human race a hundred times over, TDC had the happiest ending I can imagine really. A god whose happiness is directly tied to that of all humanity is pretty much the only good version of god that I can think of.

ChairMaster fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Jan 4, 2019

break-up breakdown
Mar 6, 2010

http://trixie.thecomicseries.com/comics/342

oh no!

BiggerJ
May 21, 2007

What shall we do with him? A permaban, perhaps? Probate him for a few years? Or...shall we employ a big red custom title? You, the goons of SA, shall decide his fate.
An awesome lovable Jim Henson Creature Shop puppet, but a puppet nonetheless.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
The poor big blue nice dumb spider is going to get scapegoated

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!
I'm "measly crimes".

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Audrey's always happy to be involved in cutting something.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Audrey :(

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Surprised they didn't leave her hanging after the traditionalists didn't win.

BiggerJ
May 21, 2007

What shall we do with him? A permaban, perhaps? Probate him for a few years? Or...shall we employ a big red custom title? You, the goons of SA, shall decide his fate.

super sweet best pal posted:

Surprised they didn't leave her hanging after the traditionalists didn't win.
They're smart enough to know she's not the kind of enemy you want to make.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

http://trixie.thecomicseries.com/comics/344

Fantastic Flyer
Aug 9, 2017
Klara knows Audrey so well :allears:

Drunk Theory
Aug 20, 2016

Oven Wrangler

Oh no!!! I rather liked the garbage monster.

Also lol, at Klara's "Yup" my sisters an rear end in a top hat.

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.
It is kind of ominous to see Klara angry.

I've had a nagging suspicion since #65 that Klara was lying about gambling the tavern money away,

http://trixie.thecomicseries.com/comics/65/

And subsequently volunteered their services to Trixie's campaign (As she was the one appointed to negotiate by Audrey) and paid Audrey with 100 ductats of their own money.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

maltesh posted:

I've had a nagging suspicion since #65 that Klara was lying about gambling the tavern money away,

http://trixie.thecomicseries.com/comics/65/

And subsequently volunteered their services to Trixie's campaign (As she was the one appointed to negotiate by Audrey) and paid Audrey with 100 ductats of their own money.

Yes, she was lying; no, she didn't give that money to Trixie.

HBar
Sep 13, 2007

that chef owns :discourse:

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.

Ah, fair enough. I should have remembered that.

BiggerJ
May 21, 2007

maltesh posted:

Audrey has done the impossible, and all she had to do was betray her own loving flesh and blood.

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica
Thorsby owns

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

http://trixie.thecomicseries.com/comics/345

LYNDON YOU poo poo MAN

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
God Lyndon is the wooorst

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

At this rate, the next comic is gonna be this. They don't find a way to prevent the vision, and then the comic just ends.

EndOfTheWorld
Jul 22, 2004

I'm an excellent critic! I automatically know when someone's done a bad job. Before you ask, yes it's a mixed blessing.
Cybernetic Crumb
LYNDON YOU ARE A TOILET THAT SMOKES A CIGAR

Sanford
Jun 30, 2007

...and rarely post!

Jesus Christ Lyndon you utter wasteman.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
I might make a new avatar that runs Lyndon's shifty eyes on a loop.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

http://trixie.thecomicseries.com/comics/346

Presidential history!

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
Haven't really read Thorsby's stuff aside from some hitmen for destiny pages that were posted in a GBS webcomic thread, but just binged through lies sisters and wives, and transdimensional brain chip and both were really good, the latter really escalated in directions I wasn't expecting. Gonna check out the other finished ones later I think.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Hitmen for Destiny is very good and holds up. Accidental Space Spy has some amazing segments, but is probably the weakest, and has a conclusion ("cultures go to war when the reproductive partners of their leaders are limited and as such the leaders subconsciously feel that a war will cull reproductive rivals in their own society, this is the Ultimate Secret Truth that could be used to prevent war if it were known," which holds up to no scrutiny and doesn't hold half the water of the comic's other evolutionary thought experiments) that undermines its otherwise fun and relatively credible evolutionary biology spec-fi.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

He may have gone mad and started indoor horse races, but he still deserves credit for inventing the internet.

Emrikol
Oct 1, 2015

Android Blues posted:

Hitmen for Destiny is very good and holds up. Accidental Space Spy has some amazing segments, but is probably the weakest, and has a conclusion ("cultures go to war when the reproductive partners of their leaders are limited and as such the leaders subconsciously feel that a war will cull reproductive rivals in their own society, this is the Ultimate Secret Truth that could be used to prevent war if it were known," which holds up to no scrutiny and doesn't hold half the water of the comic's other evolutionary thought experiments) that undermines its otherwise fun and relatively credible evolutionary biology spec-fi.

I felt the real problem was less the premise on which the ending was built, and more that it was a classic domestic farce that just ran way too long.

Drunk Theory
Aug 20, 2016

Oven Wrangler

Love that this place use to have a wax hall of Presidents until they animated and attacked the President.

uvar
Jul 25, 2011

Avoid breathing
radioactive dust.
College Slice
I half expected this to wrap up with everyone (except Audrey) being kind of miserable like TASS, so I'm glad it's going for at least a little longer.

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

In guessing Trixie wins one hell of a pyrrhic victory

break-up breakdown
Mar 6, 2010

http://trixie.thecomicseries.com/comics/347

spider president best president :3:

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Android Blues posted:

You're reading it as a literal dissertation on comparative :biotruths:, like it is seriously proposing that if women are able to choose who they get pregnant by this will inevitably lead to prisonlike harem houses and this is a persuasive argument, when in fact it is a silly satire about how the crazy places people end up when they operate from unexamined biases, and the silly part comes from how none of the biases are our own and all the aliens are doing totally ridiculous nonsense things any outsider can see are pointless, but they mirror dumb things people actually do.

Thorsby is perfectly aware that wars are not actually about some caveman instinct to steal your own tribe's women and that people haven't evolved an anti-dissidence trait that makes them hallucinate God in the last ten thousand years, but like, if only the real motivations behind the Iraq War were that reasonable.

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Jan 21, 2019

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

break-up breakdown posted:

spider president best president :3:

Objectively the greatest president of all time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

You're reading it as a literal dissertation on comparative :biotruths:, like it is seriously proposing that if women are able to choose who they get pregnant by this will inevitably lead to prisonlike harem houses and this is a persuasive argument, when in fact it is a silly satire about how the crazy places people end up when they operate from unexamined biases, and the silly part comes from how none of the biases are our own and all the aliens are doing totally ridiculous nonsense things that vaguely resemble dumb things people actually do.

Thorsby is perfectly aware that wars are not actually about some caveman instinct to steal your own tribe's women and that people haven't evolved an anti-dissidence trait that makes them hallucinate God in the last ten thousand years, but like, if only the real motivations behind the Iraq War were that reasonable.

My issue is that the other planets aren't hypotheses we can "test" - they're about bizarre aliens from other planets who have evolved in highly, ridiculously specific ways - so you can enjoy the story and take the exposition about how these creatures evolved to do this or that as relatively credible within its universe. When it then showcases as its climax a highly testable, easily falsifiable hypothesis about human nature, the curtain is pulled away and it loses some of its interest as speculative fiction.

Plus, I'm not sure he is perfectly aware of that? I wouldn't suggest that he is or isn't, but the story takes a pretty definite stance on the reality of evolutionary biology. It has frequent interludes about how evolution mediates art, beauty, romance, etc, that amount to little thesis statements on evo-psych. The conclusion is even, "evolution guides us to be a certain way, but we can temper it with logic and free will when we want to, people aren't evolutionary robots", which is an odd thing to land on if your story actually had no moral and was just a fantasy thought experiment with no interest in its scientific inspiration.

Like, stuff like "the god gene" is a real theory that has appeared in academic hypotheses. Thorsby's line of inspiration there is obvious - it's not his own whole cloth invention, he's looking at evo-psych theories and using them as a jumping off point for fiction. Margaret Atwood writes about the exact same idea in Oryx & Crake.