Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
I'm sure at the next Bethesda event Todd will tell the audience the internet said it was a bad game. Don't know if he'll get a laugh this time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BillyC
Feb 19, 2013

everythin' under heaven is in utter chaos, cloud

Bread Liar
Starfield will probably have a more tepid response, relatively at least for bethesda, especially if its only on their launcher. ES6 gonna be a hype train no matter how lovely they become tho lol

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
I actually think the fact they made a poo poo lazy game and fanboys still pre-ordered the 200 canvas bag edition regardless is a pretty good sign for Bethesda's prospects

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007

Powershift posted:

Have they even admitted that they made a poo poo game yet?

Brother they admitted it before release with that preemptive apology letter

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

Spun Dog posted:

I just tried playing 4 again over the holiday. I forgot how many loading screens there are, it's kind of crazy. Even on a solid state I'm staring at 3d models and game tips more than enemies.
The load times in Fallout 4 are tied to the game's frame rate for some reason, and if your FPS is capped at 60 it takes forever to load even on an SSD. You can install a mod that uncaps the frame rate during the loading screens (e: or just play the game without vsync, I guess), and the load times suddenly drop to a couple of seconds.

DMorbid fucked around with this message at 06:10 on Jan 4, 2019

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

corn in the bible posted:

I actually think the fact they made a poo poo lazy game and fanboys still pre-ordered the 200 canvas bag edition regardless is a pretty good sign for Bethesda's prospects

Canvas bag purchases alone aren't going to please the management but in any case a franchise that's well-regarded isn't going to feel the effects of a bad entry until the next game.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Fallom posted:

Canvas bag purchases alone aren't going to please the management but in any case a franchise that's well-regarded isn't going to feel the effects of a bad entry until the next game.

Yeah, RIP Hitman

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
Starfield will probably be hosed up and more buggy than The Outer Worlds, but will probably somehow sell more despite nerds revenge purchasing a game.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Crabtree posted:

Starfield will probably be hosed up and more buggy than The Outer Worlds, but will probably somehow sell more despite nerds revenge purchasing a game.

It's going to look like Fallout 76 but isn't actually Fallout, nor is it Elder Scrolls.

That seems like a hard sell tbh.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007

KakerMix posted:

It's going to look like Fallout 76 but isn't actually Fallout, nor is it Elder Scrolls.

That seems like a hard sell tbh.

But it will also have multiplayer! Bethesda multiplayer!

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
Also dragons.

Space dragons. Whatever the hell that is.

Siljmonster
Dec 16, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Rinkles posted:

E:^yup that's what it looks like

FYI, there are considerably fewer loading screens in F76 than 4

3 less of 500 isnt much

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

I never get the last word, and it makes me very sad.

Doc M posted:

The load times in Fallout 4 are tied to the game's frame rate for some reason, and if your FPS is capped at 60 it takes forever to load even on an SSD. You can install a mod that uncaps the frame rate during the loading screens, and the load times suddenly drop to a couple of seconds.

:wtc:

Every loving time I think I've seen the depths of the bullshit, there's another loving level. Like, I can kinda understand your game physics and audio sync and poo poo being tied to your FPS even if it's dumb and something I shouldn't be seeing in games that aren't ancient, but having your loving LOAD TIMES be based on FPS?

Holy poo poo.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Mr Hootington posted:

That nuke glitch was a y2k bug in 2019

I've been laughing all day at this. The most famous design flaw in the history of programming and they repeated it.

Cyberpunkey Monkey
Jun 23, 2003

by Nyc_Tattoo
I think Bethesda does this poo poo on purpose and that doesn't piss me off.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

super sweet best pal posted:

I've been laughing all day at this. The most famous design flaw in the history of programming and they repeated it.

I genuinely think it is possible that they tried to create their own datetime type but implemented it as seconds since the most recent Jan 01 00:00.

E: Non-zero chance their encryption is rot64(base64(value))

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

WoW’s in-game calendar neglected to roll over as well, if I’m reading correctly. This year was weird.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Doc M posted:

The load times in Fallout 4 are tied to the game's frame rate for some reason, and if your FPS is capped at 60 it takes forever to load even on an SSD. You can install a mod that uncaps the frame rate during the loading screens (e: or just play the game without vsync, I guess), and the load times suddenly drop to a couple of seconds.

this is loving mindblowing but does explain why i've been having such relatively long loads on this system

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004
There is something else going on with Fo4 loading screens.
Sometimes they stay completely black, but when you click&drag the mouse you can hear that one of the spinning 3D models is rendered somewhere. It only on door transitions and never on fast travel, and those black screens take forever especially if you enter the Wasteland main map from an interior :smith:

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?

Solarin posted:

I just finished replaying Fallout 2 and folks.. it's good

some things I noticed for the first time

-The .44 Magnum is insanely powerful and same for the .223 pistol. I completely ignored those before
-Bonus rate of fire plus fast shot plus sniper is ridiculous. Also Bonus Move was a really fun addition to combat. My first playthrough I used the Skilled trait and also took the dumbest perks possible.
-I hate Marcus and left him to rot in the military base after he annihilated me with a burst for the third time
-I had no idea how much of the game could be done without mowing down everything in your way (like the Enclave). I still slaughtered Metzger when I was wildly over equipped for it
-You can use steal on your allies to quickly access their inventory. Holy poo poo
-New Reno was awesome with a walkthrough to help me figure out what the hell was going on there. Also Myron's dialogue is really gross with a female player character.

Also I've been playing with the default GoG version and it apparently has some mods (Sfall and a high res option) included which I'm just now realizing the extent of.

The game is so good, gat dang

I really like the thought of having a minigun wielding badass supermutant as a follower but oh god he's so slowww really wish they'd have given him a faster running speed.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?

Crabtree posted:

I'm sure at the next Bethesda event Todd will tell the audience the internet said it was a bad game. Don't know if he'll get a laugh this time.

"appppaaaarently our games have some bugs in them" *smug face*

"In other news a video game con artist was angrily torn to shreds by a packed theatre full of fans earlier this evening....."

Tei
Feb 19, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

(I am sure someone will link some specific example they did, but still, for a game about telling stories with dead bodies inventing a whole new type of dead body that is frozen in a position and then not using them for much seems weird)

I can link you a specific example (sort of) on the south-east where a group of glassed bodies looks like a family terrified, helping each other on the process of escaping from something. Is horrible. But you are 100% correct. They did not actually use the glasified bodies for anything interesting. Could be a leftover from a version of the game where they had planned something different for them.

The most horrible game is still (and will be for a long time) The Division... the upper area on the dark zone was truly amazing, the dead was a thick and a almost physical presence.

Tei fucked around with this message at 11:53 on Jan 4, 2019

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.
Yugoslavian style? Of course not.
It has to be Zlatan-style.

Crabtree posted:

Starfield will sell well because it will be the only space RPG on offer now that Mass Effect is dead

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Bogan Krkic posted:

Starfield will sell well because it will be the only space RPG on offer now that Mass Effect is dead

The Outer Worlds will be 400% better than Starfield.

It won't sell as well though.

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.

Oh yeah, I forgot about Fallout in Space, although I think it's different enough in tone that it won't steal sales from Starfield. You're absolutely right that it'll be a million times better though.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!
Are we not excessively confident about things? we have not seen these games.

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.

Tei posted:

Sorry, you're right. It is impossible to make predictions about things, until the thing that is being predicted has happened.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!

Bogan Krkic posted:

Sorry, you're right. It is impossible to make predictions about things, until the thing that is being predicted has happened.

When you put it that way. I am worse than hitler.

No, I don't mean is impossible to predict. I can predict these things, and my predictions are similar or the same has yours. But we must have some room for surprises, sometimes things don't pan out exactly how we predicted, and small changes have huge consequences.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

People are so desperate for a Fallout game that they'll buy this, and alot of people who think it's crap are willing to settle for a racist Russian game that looks like rear end.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Tei posted:

You've got worms in your brain dude

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Tei posted:

They did not actually use the glasified bodies for anything interesting. Could be a leftover from a version of the game where they had planned something different for them.

The plague in general is so underwritten. Like you get it and you become part of a hive mind (that never seems to be a hive mind in any way, but they tell you it is) then you wander around for a while doing nothing, then I guess suddenly you turn to ash? In the middle of the road? For no reason.

NofrikinfuN
Apr 23, 2009

Randarkman posted:

People are so desperate for a Fallout game that they'll buy this, and alot of people who think it's crap are willing to settle for a racist Russian game that looks like rear end.

I almost bought Fallout 76 over vacation, but opted to just play Fallout 4 again instead. I think I came out ahead, overall.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

NofrikinfuN posted:

I almost bought Fallout 76 over vacation, but opted to just play Fallout 4 again instead. I think I came out ahead, overall.

To be fair, Fallout 76 is like Fallout 4.5 so...

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

I can't laugh at this because I know developers who would make this same mistake.

TEENAGE WITCH
Jul 20, 2008

NAH LAD
failson 76

NofrikinfuN
Apr 23, 2009

Doctor Zero posted:

To be fair, Fallout 76 is like Fallout 4.5 so...

I never could get an idea of whether or not I would enjoy it with no NPC's and potential grief, though. Plus, this way I don't need a Bethesda launcher.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!

corn in the bible posted:

You've got worms in your brain dude

I will unlock CDF in ten turns
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=2L5JgTkxAkg

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a3rVVy-F32o
I don't get how this matters.

ETPC
Jul 10, 2008

Wheel with it.
holly green's nuka dark rum count has raised to five

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
Maybe they hope if the critics get drunk enough off their lovely swill they'll stop talking about the game.