Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
The thing about A Place Further than the Universe is that it's like I once heard from a reviewer in the escapist (I don't know if it was Yahtzee, the Jimquisition guy or Moviebob, though? It was like over a decade ago, cut me some slack here) that said something along the lines of: "Well, sometimes things are popular because they're good". And I'm honestly glad that the girls are a'ight. :3:

Wark Say fucked around with this message at 10:26 on Jan 3, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GyroNinja
Nov 7, 2012
Honorable Mention: Shoujo☆Kageki Revue Starlight - This didn't quite make the cut, but I love the visual style this show has, from one of the coolest transformation scenes I've seen in an anime, to the fight scenes which take place on theatrical sets filled with dramatic lighting and shifting props, to THAT GIRAFFE.

5.) Planet With - It's not quite a Lucifer and the Biscuit Hammer anime, but it'll have to do. Planet With manages to cram a lot of plot twists and good characters in a very short run time, and there's even an alien dog-man voiced by Norio Wakamoto.

4.) Zombieland Saga - After the first few episodes, I would never have expected the show to end up as a genuine idol show as opposed to a parody, but the show does a good job using it's silly zombie premise for both slapstick humor and real emotional and thematic weight. Probably the second best Cute Girls/Zombie mash-up show out there.

3.) Bunny Girl Senpai - I almost dismissed this show as a third-rate Monogatari rip-off without watching it. I'm glad I gave it a chance, though, because it's actually a first-rate Monogatari rip-off. This show isn't exactly original, but it is well written, and feels constantly supportive and accepting of whatever anxieties its cast is going through.

2.) SSSS.Gridman - This is somehow a really good show about a hero who punches rubber suit monsters, a show about shows about heroes who punch rubber suit monsters, and a personal story about alienation, depression, and escapism. Also, unlike some shows I've mention earlier, the CGI in this is actually really good.

1.) A Place Further than the Universe - I'm not exactly the first person to put this at the top of their list, and for good reason. It's one of the funniest shows of 2018, one of the most heartwarming shows of 2018, and one of the most tearjerking shows of 2018, all at the same time, and an easy choice for my anime of the year.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Nanigans posted:

This is a weird question, but for SSSS Gridman, I'm kind of tired of stories where the main character is just "granted" power. Is this one of those shows? I get that the fights are probably secondary to the message of the show, but I like to see my heroic characters "earn" their strength through hard work, rather than just "whoops, guess I'm a god now." Training montage of the kid practicing to better his merging with Gridman?

Gridman is not an isekei if that's what you're asking.

well...

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~

iospace posted:

post the puppy please

You got it!

Cuntellectual posted:

Gridman is not an isekei if that's what you're asking.

well...

Not really, though isekais are usually trash. I meant more like the classic sentai shows that inspired SSSS. They were fun escapism/power fantasy as a kid, but as a bitter adult, I like to see people rewarded for their effort instead of meeting a magic djinn/Zordon/Gridman and just having super powers thrust upon them. Like I said, I know it’s a weird and kind of arbitrary line to draw, but there it is.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Nanigans posted:

You got it!

Best post. Goldmine thread. Pet That Pupperino.

Brutal Garcon
Nov 2, 2014

Captain Invictus posted:

You heard it from ann's awful community folks, goblin slayer is officially better than march comes in like a lion

And the bad SAO is "better" than the good SAO.

Edit: a fine lil' fluffguy.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Is no one going to point out that Black Clover is on that list? I love Black Clover, but the anime is a big letdown.

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

It’s still running so I don’t think it qualifies

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
Yeah Ignoring the ANN list being terrible just like ANN, they also dont exclude shows that havent finished, so JoJo Part 5, a show that's 1/3rd of the way through is the 7th best show of 2018

Expect My Mom fucked around with this message at 16:33 on Jan 3, 2019

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Expect My Mom posted:

Yeah Ignoring the ANN list being terrible just like ANN, they also dont exclude shows that havent finished, so JoJo Part 5, a show that's 1/3rd of the way through is the 7th best show of the

:golfclap:

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
ANN’s list doesn’t have Cardfight Vanguard which started in 2018 and should count by their metrics, so perhaps it’s not very well put together

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Electric Phantasm posted:

Is no one going to point out that Black Clover is on that list? I love Black Clover, but the anime is a big letdown.

they just had a landmark episode so I'll give it a break

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
i watched baki, castlevania, swordgai, b the beginning and devilman crybaby op so those 5

i just started sirius the jaeger so it'll be that over swordgai if its not truly appalling or i just don't get around to finishing it

Jose fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Jan 4, 2019

CrazySalamander
Nov 5, 2009
1. Zombieland Saga: I have never watched an idol show before this, and my expectations were that it was going to be terrible. I only watched the first episode because of how bizarre the premise was, but was quickly sucked in by the excellent writing and humor. I really hope that there will be a second season for all of us to cheer on Franchouchou.

2. Wotakoi: Love is Hard for Otaku: An anime about adults! A refreshing romcom! I enjoyed this enough that I now own all the manga and am anxiously waiting for more.

3. Yuru Camp: Peaceful outdoor fun took me back to childhood. Encouraged my wife and I to get back into hiking. If you are looking for a low stress anime to relax to, look no further.

4. Cells at Work!: Edutainment at its best. Clever design, good voices and a unique premise. After seeing the anime, I recommend watching Dr Hope's Sick Notes YouTube channel where he as of now has discussed the medical science in the first five episodes.

5. Umamusume: Pretty Derby: My favorite sports anime of all time. It was great fun watching with my wife and it actually got us to watch the Kentucky Derby this year. I highly recommend this to anyone who is a fan of sports anime. Also, I suppose this might kind of count as an idol show because of the strange concept of the top three winners putting on an idol concert but that was never really the focus of the show.

Honorable mentions:

Slime: This would have been the top AOTY for me but it is apparently a 2019 anime by thread rules. I'll probably be back to gush about it next year then, and if I'm not that'll be great news because then I'll have found 5 anime that I like better!

Skull Faced Bookseller Honda-san: An 11 minute show that never overstays its welcome. I was worried the animation style would get old but it works surprisingly well. Warning, contains some cringe worthy English and presumable cringe worthy other languages in a couple episodes.

How to Keep a Mummy: A nice simple show. It only exists to be cute, and it is not afraid to acknowledge this. However, it isn't nearly as rewatchable as anything else on this list.

smenj
Oct 10, 2012
Looking at everyone else's lists, I'm reminded of several shows I wanted to watch, but never got around to. Such as Yuru Camp, which I think I just completely forgot about, and Encouragement of Climb S3, which I had planned to watch until Crunchyroll removed S2, meaning I couldn't catch up. And Aggretsuko, which I somehow didn't finish in time. They'll have to go on the list for later! Anyways, here's mine:

1: March Comes in Like a Lion 2nd Season - Watched both this and S1 this year. Absolutely spectacular stuff, and so well-written in terms of having a solid grasp of its characters, and knowing exactly what it wanted to do with them. On top of that, fantastic art, direction, music, etc. I could go on, but there's no need - 100% must-watch for anyone who has even the slightest interest. Hope S3 comes soon!

2: A Place Further Than The Universe - Leaned a touch too heavily on the melodrama now and then, but otherwise really sharply written, far funnier than I expected, and just great all round. Really lovely self-contained show that I'd recommend to anybody.

3: SSSS.Gridman - Was completely caught off-guard by this one. Much more melancholic than I'd been expecting, and a great deal of subtlety and finesse shown when it really mattered. Generally a show with far greater depth than there seemed at first glance, so perhaps give this a second look if you'd previously dismissed it.

4: Rascal Does Not Dream of Bunny Girl Senpai - Silly title aside, I had a great time with the way the dialogue was written in this. Not quite Monogatari, but consistently entertaining nonetheless. Could've done with being a few episodes longer perhaps, but it definitely made the most of its runtime.

5: Hinamatsuri - Tough choice for fifth place (and honestly fourth and fifth are more or less equal), but eventually chose Hinamatsuri for being one of the best comedies of the year. Often pretty dry and sarcastic humour, which is right up my street, and often really heartwarming when it wasn't busy being funny. Led to a bit of tonal whiplash occasionally when two halves of an episode would jump between wildly different moods, but given both halves were always great, there was little to complain about.

Honourable Mentions:

Steins;Gate 0: Have more or less the same opinion on this as I do about the VN it's based on - solid stuff, and I love the depiction of Okabe, but it's not as good as the original Steins;Gate. The original VN was a bit muddled, with important parts of the story split across multiple timelines, and the show was hamstrung by this when it attempted to reconcile it all into one narrative that made sense. That said, it's definitely at least worth watching episode 8, which expands some brief scenes in the VN into a full episode, and really makes it something special.
Megalobox: Hands down best soundtrack of the year, which is really saying something considering it's competing with Devilman Crybaby. The show kind of petered out a little as it went on, but the opening episodes were spectacular, and it had some real standout moments.
Zombieland Saga: Never quite lived up to the promise the first two episodes showed, but generally enjoyable throughout.

uguu
Mar 9, 2014

1,2,3 Iroduku, gridman and bunny girl

4 attack on titan

Have a bunch i still have to see.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

uguu posted:

1,2,3 Iroduku, gridman and bunny girl

4 attack on titan

Have a bunch i still have to see.

Glad people are voting for Iroduku. It doesn't seem like a lot of people watched it.

uguu
Mar 9, 2014

Yes, it's weird, there wasn't even a thread for it.
I only stumbled across it cause I had a prime subscription for a month.
But it was beautiful, had a great OP and a lovely story.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7t9w6hX-x3o

Beato Believer
May 23, 2009

I believe in Beato.
Even when she's driving.
At night.
In a snowstorm.

ViggyNash posted:

Glad people are voting for Iroduku. It doesn't seem like a lot of people watched it.

I watched it and enjoyed it; just forgot to add it to my list of honorable mentions. There were so many good animes this year that a gentle drama like Iroduku had a difficult time standing out.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

I am happy people enjoyed it, but it didn't do much for me. Hitomi is a boring, bland protagonist and the rest of the characters other than Kohaku are stock. The plot itself leaves so many interesting things unresolved that it's amazing they chose to focus on the things they did.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Agronox posted:

I am happy people enjoyed it, but it didn't do much for me. Hitomi is a boring, bland protagonist and the rest of the characters other than Kohaku are stock. The plot itself leaves so many interesting things unresolved that it's amazing they chose to focus on the things they did.

I think they focused on exactly what they needed to. Seeing the other threads resolved would have been nice, but I think the ambiguity works thematically with Hitomi's arc.

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker
I thought it was a solid show, decent quality all the way through without any significant missteps. In a different season it would have stood out more, but the competition both in the fall season and in the year overall was just that strong that its hard to get something that low-key into a top 5 list.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Indiana_Krom posted:

I thought it was a solid show, decent quality all the way through without any significant missteps. In a different season it would have stood out more, but the competition both in the fall season and in the year overall was just that strong that its hard to get something that low-key into a top 5 list.

100% this. I have more to say on it but the only reason this won't be on my top 5 is because this year was freaking insane.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

ViggyNash posted:

100% this. I have more to say on it but the only reason this won't be on my top 5 is because this year was freaking insane.
:omarcomin:

It took me like 3 days to come up with my post (and the respective for the worst of 2018) because I watched a ton of good anime and 2018 just wouldn't stop bringing the goods home.

Wark Say fucked around with this message at 07:15 on Jan 7, 2019

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
I slept on one hell of a year (only binged a couple of shows during the last year), and ended up binging through quite a few shows over the last month to catch up. So here’s what wowed me in 2018.

tl;dr In order of 5->1: Bunny Girl Senpai, Gridman, Bloom Into You, Violet Evergarden, Devilman Crybaby.

HONORABLE MENTIONS:

Pop Team Epic

My Hero Academia Season 3
MHA continues to be an exceptional action shounen and continues to find great new ways of fleshing out its existing cast, expanding to add new ones, and exploring its central themes.

Release The Spyce
This was not the show I expected to have the sickest beats of 2018, even up against Megalobox.

Release the Spyce turned out to be a cute spy/action thriller with fun espionage action and adorably (maybe) gay high school girls all mixed together. It’s a good show overall; a uniquely fun experience with no real low points. It deserves a mention for how solid it turned out despite not trying to be anything special. I’d welcome another season of this.

SAO:GGO
Now that I somehow like SAO after getting through its second season and movie (Ordinal Scale, not the recap) this was the next logical step, and it sure didn’t disappoint. It once again managed to explore dark material with camp and fun without getting too hosed up or exploitative, for which SAO as a whole has a 66% success rate so far. (Unfortunately SAO fucks this up again in Aliciazation with an exceptionally hosed double rape scene). This was a charming, adorable show overall with some really fun action and cool tactics. I would love to see more of these characters. Maybe LLENN and the Gymnastics Club will finally get their rematch.

Asobi Asobase
aka Daily Lives of High School Girls. This show absolutely deserves a place alongside Daily Lives of High School Boys and Nichijou as one of the best SoL absurdist comedies of all time. Unfortunately it ended rather unceremoniously and left me wanting so much more of the same, but I loved what we got.

The Disastrous Life of Saiki K
I love how snappy this show is. It hits one punchline after another and somehow never fucks up, but it never feels rushed either. It takes what it can get as efficiently as possible then moves on to the next scene. It's impressive that it kept this up for two full seasons. The whole cast is wonderfully weird in their own unique way and are bounced off Saiki and each other in hilarious ways. I also really appreciate that it doesn't got for a ton of meta-jokes, and when it does it isn't wasted.

Darling in the Franxx
This is why I love Trigger so drat much. Spectacular action animation and absurdist sensibilities wrapped around uniquely fascinating themes and ideas, strapped into an overpowered rocket and shot through the stratosphere with a bang, boasting absurd escalations and gut-punching melodrama at heights only achieved by Gurren Lagaan. What brings the show down is its wildly incoherent climax and runup, and sometimes awkward pacing. But despite that I think this is one of their best showings so far.

I’m a bit surprised that this show became an ADTRW punching bag. I don’t think it deserves that fate.

Planet With
This was one of the most bizarre action shows since Samurai Flamenco, with audio design that out-awesome’s even Jojo’s and some rock solid thematic storytelling. It’s an incredible show overall whose only real flaw was pacing. I really feel that this show needed 24 episodes and to take its time because narrative beats came and went so quickly it left me in a daze.

I see this show as a direct competitor to SSSS.Gridman, but it comes up short against Gridman’s near perfect directing. Otherwise, this would be a pretty solid pick for my top 5.

Goblin Slayer
I’m ok with this show being the ADTRW punching bag because it’s got one hell of a misogynistic streak. But I also believe this show put decent effort into exploring a really interesting theme, and it deserves recognition for that. It doesn’t excuse the garbage, but I think it’s worth wading through if you’ve the stomach for it. Or you can watch this video and skip the garbage entirely.

Irozuku: The World in Colors
I've complained many times before about the artificial melodrama of Shinkai's work. Irozuku is a rare case where I think there wasn't enough melodrama. Irozuku has some of the best music and art of the year and a wonderful narrative that's simultaneously heartwarming and bittersweet; a near perfect show whose only real flaw was playing it too safe. If ever there was a time for a studio to go for broke with creative freedom and run with its inherent melodrama, this was it. But PA Works played it safe. As magnificent a show as this is, I just can't help imagining how much better it could have been. It’s still a worthy addition to PA Work’s incredible portfolio.

Megalobox
I'm not generally a fan of sports dramas, and especially not a big fan of boxing. But Megalobox works by being a quintessential sports drama in a fresh grungy cyberpunk setting which it uses to great effect both visually and narratively. Also, this was not a show I expected to have some of the best writing this year. Add to that some solid directing, great visuals, a drat good hip hop soundtrack, and some of the best use of music in any show out there, and you've got one of the best shows of the year.

TOP 5:

5) Seishun Buta Yarou wa Bunny Girl Senpai no Yume wo Minai (aka Rascal Does Not Dream of Bunny Girl Senpai)
This show also gets the award for the worst title of the year. The only reason I gave this show a chance is because Youtube recommended this video to me. And I'm sure glad I watched it and this show because this was immediately one of my favorite shows of all time. It’s one of the best written and directed shows I have ever watched, hands down. Everything from the fun dialogue between Sakuta and the cast to the the show's handling of its overarching themes to how subtly they grow the main romance so it doesn't overwhelm the story of the current act while also carefully breadcrumb-ing future acts... and after all that the ed shows up and capstones each episode beautifully.

So why is this my number 5? Because they dropped the ball. The last episode was mostly a tangent that serves as setup for an upcoming movie that will cover the show's biggest mystery. They half-assed the capstone episode of the show's best story arc, guiding all of the momentum they had been building for an entire season squarely into a brick wall. But the rest of the show is so good on its own that it still deserves an official spot on my list, even if I will forever lament its mangled finale.

4) SSSS.Gridman
At surface level Gridman seems somewhat straightforward… at first. It's a toku show in which the titular Gridman fights Kaiju being created by a high school girl who wants to destroy parts of the world she doesn't like. But what unfolds is far more than that. SSSS.Gridman is ultimately a story of redemption and self-acceptance in the guise of the subject's favorite type of show. Despite borrowing from source material, this show is singularly focussed on its subject’s struggle for redemption, and does so brilliantly, while embracing its raw entertainment value.

It also deserves a thumbs up for pushing an earnest LGBT romance.

3) Bloom Into You
I don’t do romance shows. To me they’re just a whole lot of convenient melodrama and romantic wish fulfillment. But every now and then something comes along that embraces the human drama at the heart of romance to craft a truly compelling story. In 2015 it was Your Lie in April, and last year it was Tsuki Ga Kirei. This year, it was Bloom Into You, and it’s undoubtedly my favorite romance drama. This show so thoroughly and intimately explores the personalities and emotions of its core characters that I feel like I know these characters better than most people in my life. And on top of that, some of their character traits hit pretty close to home.

Aside from my personal investment in the show, Bloom Into You is also incredibly important as an LGBT icon, as it goes far beyond its primary yuri romance to integrate several other non-binary characters. And it does so without judgement or gimmickry, because as far as Bloom Into You is concerned it’s perfectly alright to not be straight.

I pray to the anime gods that the second season gets made so we can see the final version of the play and the final evolution of their romance because there’s a lot of open plot threads.

2) Violet Evergarden
I’ve never felt more invested in the growth of a character than Violet Evergarden, both for her own sake and for the sake of the world around her. The more Violet herself understood the meaning of her father figure’s last words, the more she embodied a beacon of wholesomeness that soothed the scars of love and war in herself and those around her. Every second of the show is devoted to this wholesomeness in service of expressing a message of understanding and love for those around you.

KyoAni’s work on this show is nothing short of magnificent. The art/animation, the direction, the music, the VA work (even temporary characters) are all some of the best any studio has done. I could gush over it all. But all of it is in service of crafting the most poignant and affecting narratives they could. Each episode is magnificent on its own, but become something far greater as a whole.

I sincerely believe this is one of the greatest dramas ever made, though I still can’t decide if it trumps Rakugo as my favorite.

1) Devilman Crybaby
Yuasa loving broke me. I stumbled through my entire weekend in shock. I’m not even sure how I made it through the rest of the week.

The thing about Devilman Crybaby is that almost impossible to enjoy as anything other than an awe-inspiring spectacle of horror and destruction, both psychological and physical. It exists to destroy you. What might have started as a straightforward modern adaptation of a classic manga has been repurposed into a powerful warning against the global social and political climate. The rise of manipulative tribalism in much of the western world is mimicked in Ryo’s plans for the world, dialed up to a billion.

Crybaby is the story of what we are doing to ourselves. But it does not reward you with any form of catharsis. It does not comfort you. It simply lets its characters tear the world apart, then leaves you to wonder why.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

My favorite shows, keeping in mind I still haven't watched about half of the shows I wanted to this year:

3. Aggretsuko: I never really found an anime that captured the feeling of frustration with corporate life that this did, also I like metal and having a hello kitty sing it was funny

2. Pop Team Epic: Everyone I tried to get to watch this show thinks I'm an idiot for recommending it. I don't know why I find it so funny. Every time they literally just do the entire episode over with deep voiced men I watch it again and laugh. When they trick the french man into doing things I laugh. When they make music videos from yelling puppets I laugh. It feels like pre-internet Adult Swim but Japanese. I feel like this show has a very specific audience and that audience is me.

1. Devilman Crybaby: Holy poo poo what a gut punch to start the year with. I absolutely loved everything about this, the soundtrack, the art style shifting so gradually that the flashbacks at the end look like a different show, the insane pacing. One of my favorite shows now.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

ViggyNash posted:

The thing about Devilman Crybaby is that almost impossible to enjoy as anything other than an awe-inspiring spectacle of horror and destruction, both psychological and physical. It exists to destroy you.
well the thread certainly did

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
boring take imo

Captain_duck
Dec 3, 2005

I swear nice bushes!
This is what i saw this year from what is on the list:

quote:

Attack on Titan Season 3
Banana Fish
Cells at Work!
Devilman Crybaby
Gundam Build Divers
Legend of the Galactic Heroes: Die Neue These
March Comes In Like a Lion 2nd Season
My Hero Academia 3rd Season
Overlord II
Overlord III
Pop Team Epic
Space Battleship Tiramisu
Thunderbolt Fantasy Sword Seekers 2

My favs:

5: Legend of the Galactic Heroes: Die Neue These
Kind of hard to follow up one of the best anime of all time, but they did it well enough.

4: Cells at Work!
Wholesome, Educational and also just fun.

3: Thunderbolt Fantasy Sword Seekers 2
Princess of Slaughter was probably the best character this entire year. Shame it kind of felt like a gaiden.

2: Devilman Crybaby
Masaaki Yuasa does it again, and then some, wow.

1: March Comes In Like a Lion 2nd Season
Holy hells, the feels. The major arc this season is gutwrenching. But also the single episodes with focus on some of the shogi players are amazingly well done.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

5. Slow Start
4. Bunny Girl Senpai
3. SSSS Gridman
2. ZombieLand Saga
1. A Place Further than the Universe

Honorable Mentions: BNHA S3, Comic Girls, Yuru Camp, Violet Evergarden

Stuff I Would've Liked to Have Seen But Never Got Around to: March Lion (both seasons), Cells at Work, Pretty Derby, Planet With, Aggretsuko, Hinamatsuri, FLCL, S;G, Bloom Into You, Megalobox, Revue Starlight

Kind of a tough year. I'm confident in my #1 and 2 but 3-5 was more of a tossup. If Bunny Girl Senpai had managed to be as good as its first two arcs for its entire run, it would have been my clear #1. Also I kinda think that if Akanesasu Shoujo had been more moe it could've been the Kemono Friends of the year.

Theowulv
Feb 21, 2015

My wall can now attack
This year was pretty dang tough to decide on a top 5. I watched a bunch of shows but honestly can not decide which ones I liked most, or rather, which ones to cut from the top. I'm friggin' lazy and indecisive so I guess I'm not gonna make an eligible list. Anyways the shows I really liked this year in no particular order:

Thunder Bolt Fantasy Sword Seekers Season 2- More rad puppet battles and soliloquies

Pop Team Epic- A team of talented creators doing whatever the heck they want

Zombieland Saga - Zombie Idols are really good the cgi dances were alright actually got pretty good towards the end

Devilman Crybaby - Masaaki Yuasa and Go Nagai is a match made in heaven Also best soundtrack of the year

Sirius the Jaeger- Huntin' vampires in the 30's is a bloody good time

March comes in like a Lion Season 2 - So many great arcs. This show balances a large cast but it gives enough time in their head spaces to get to know them all.

Hakumei & Mikochi-The setting allows for all kinds of fun scenarios

How to Keep a Mummy- I want a mon pet

Violet Evergarden- When the show is pretty it is really really pretty I freakin' love that effect whenever the show focuses on the brooch

Yuru Camp- Very relaxing

SSSS. Gridman-Akane is a fantastic character and all the weapon people are really cute especially sword-man.

Maquia- Supremely beautiful movie with a really interesting fantasy setting

Revue Starlight-Awesome sequences and the outfits are really cool

Hinamatsuri- Lots of great animation and heartwarming stories

Asobi Asobase-Hilarious most of the time

Merc Storia: The Apathetic Boy and the Girl in a Bottle- Real fun show with lots of cute monster people and lovely backgrounds

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
I just watched Wotakoi on the recommendation of this thread and I loved it! Really refreshing to see an anime about people my age struggling with love in a realistic way (albeit it exaggerated and through an anime lens.) Highly recommend it! Wife loved it too.

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

I only saw PopTeam Epic and Jojo so I guess I’d pick the former since the latter isn’t done. I wanna watch Gridman though.

So what was the worst anime, the thread was closed before it was official announced

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Assuming no major shake ups since the last time anyone tallied votes: worst people actually watched was Franxx, most avoided was Goblin Slayer.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I'll re-open it in a couple of hours. Hopefully so that goons will calm the heck down and post about shows they didn't dig or shows they actively avoided, instead of talking about *checks notes* the definition of isekai and some other less-savory topics.

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

ISEKAI MEANS FAMILY

Sakurazuka posted:

Assuming no major shake ups since the last time anyone tallied votes: worst people actually watched was Franxx, most avoided was Goblin Slayer.

Aww man I was hoping to watch Franxx and vaguely hoping it would fit the (OG) Eureka Seven sized hole in my heart.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Hitlersaurus Christ posted:

ISEKAI MEANS FAMILY

Aww man I was hoping to watch Franxx and vaguely hoping it would fit the (OG) Eureka Seven sized hole in my heart.

Might still work if you were nostalgic for Eureka Seven AO.

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

Darth Walrus posted:

Might still work if you were nostalgic for Eureka Seven AO.

Nooooooooooooooooo

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Sakurazuka posted:

I stand by both those shows :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Know Such Peace
Dec 30, 2008
I’ll keep it simple and just vote for one:

Revue Starlight
- Revue Starlight is criminally underwatched. Starlight feels a lot like Princess Tutu and Madoka to me: a series whose promotional art may make it seem shallow. The first episode is densely packed with details that are payed off later on in the show, and I’ll be surprised if the show doesn’t eventually grow a huge Western audience over time. It’s an amazing directorial debut, and I’m looking forward to whatever Tomohiro Furukawa does next after this.